hackintosh or mac mini

shofty

8 posts in this topic

ok, im a web developer who moved to mac osx on a pc to test it out as its based on unix.

i use django primarily and the unix helps a lot with python which its based on.

im up to speed with hackintosh, ive got iatkos leopard on. but i want snow leopard and i cant work out the best way to get up to date.

would i be better off building a killer pc with my 600 quid? or am i better off starting with a mac mini?

i'm not sure i can be bothered with the hassle of kexts, though i did get mine mostly working quite easily. its still got a restart/shutdown issue though. i need to have time machine working fully, im not currently doing any backups. its also quite important that i have an easy to fix machine as this is a core business machine and will be the only one. im ok building pc's so if apples support is going to be slower than working it out myself, then thats the way i'll go.

anyone been in the same situation? any advice to give?

That is a really difficult one. If you want to use OS X professionally, you don't want neither a Mac Mini (little more than an expensive toy :) ) nor a hackintosh, because of the reasons you mention yourself. Ideally you want something more professional, at least the best iMac you can afford.

However a hackintosh doesn't necessarily have to cause problems.

The desktop in my sig causes me zero issues. That is, after flashing the BIOS and changing some settings:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=204255&hl=

i think i've hit on a worthy solution. i can lease an imac for £12 a week which isn't the cheapest way to do it but it does mean that the responsibility for fixing it isn't mine. only thing is it is a 3 year deal.

I don't find it a bad solution if you don't have a lot of cash there and then.

If you were to lease you are spending nearly 1900 quid. A brand new top of the line iMac starts at £1,649.00. Granted there are advantages to leasing, if it breaks it generally isn't your problem, you don't have to shell out for apple care and you get a new computer every 3 years. Just consider if those advantages are worth giving some 3rd party 17% of the cost of a new computer.

I would suggest you just use your hackingtosh until you save up enough for a new mac. Also I wouldn't use anything hacked or boarderline illegal if it could be avoided in business.

There is another major advantage with leasing: after 3 years a computer is already "old technology". Then you can start again with a new one.

with hardsoft after three years i can buy it for 39 quid.

but ive done the numbers and its a 2500 quid mac over three years. im going to build a killer hackintosh and take the hit if it goes wrong. its best to do it that way and get into leasing or buying an Imac in a years time once i know the business is successful.

thanks for all the opinons guys, really helped.

Matt