Hi there!

Think Garrett

6 posts in this topic

Hello! As you can tell, I'm new here and I'd love to get started in the Hackintosh world, mainly because I have some pretty decent hardware but I don't think Windows is letting me use it to it's full potential and Linux is alright but I'm not a fan of gnome, kde, etc. Plus I'm already using a MacBook, they'll probably play nicer if they're the same OS...

I was wondering if my hardware would be capable of running snow leopard. I've searched on google and have seen some of the hardware parts working in different builds.

Mobo: ASUS P5Q Deluxe

CPU: Intel C2D e8400

RAM: 2x2GB g.skill DDR2 800

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4870 512mb

HDD 1: WD Cav black 640GB 32mb cache 7200rpm SATAII

HDD 2: WD Cav black 1TB 64mb cache 7200rpm SATAIII

HDD 3: WD Cav blue 320GB 16 mb cache 7200rpm SATAII

Optical: Sony OEM DVD-ROM IDE

PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610watt

Hopefully I have the right hardware to make a speedy and stable OSx86 machine. I'm fairly experienced with computers so feel free to use tech terms (even if I don't understand something, that's what google is for...

Thank you!

Garrett

Thanks for your reply! I noticed most of the threads for the P5Q Deluxe mention using a custom BIOS image. I'm a bit leery about installing something like that because I'm pretty sure it could brick the bios... I also noticed they mentioned EFI. ASUS has beta EFI versions of the BIOS, would that work instead of custom? What is generally "custom" about these images?

Thanks again!

Garrett

There is a bios 'image' floating around that is literally custom. The code has been modified by a non-Asus person (and from all I have heard/read, quite well). There is a risk of bricking your board, but if your feeling adventurous, then by all means. But seriously, it's really not necessary, there are non-bios related fixes for everything that the bios fixes. Your board is just about the most popular board for an install, so I think if you spent a little time researching here on the boards, you can get things running in no time.

Thanks! I'm thinking that I'll just roam around on the boards, do a little more research, and install a ASUS-made BIOS image. I'm just not brave enough to risk bricking my board. I'm fairly experienced in configuring Red Hat linux servers, will this experience help me in my effort to "hackintosh" my PC?

Thanks! I'm thinking that I'll just roam around on the boards, do a little more research, and install a ASUS-made BIOS image. I'm just not brave enough to risk bricking my board. I'm fairly experienced in configuring Red Hat linux servers, will this experience help me in my effort to "hackintosh" my PC?

having experience of terminal work should be a real advantage :angry: