com.apple.Boot.plist

zooloo

25 posts in this topic

hi all...

so I have my Hackintosh up and running but am struggling with my graphics card...

anyway, this question is about the file com.apple.Boot.plist

I have 2 on my system, one in the folder "extras" which is on the root of my Mac HD and one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

The "extras" folder i believe is something put there by the custom osx install process as I've looked on my macbook and there is no such folder there.

Does anyone one know if the extras plist is actually used by the system at all or is the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ the only boot plist that is used?

hi all...

so I have my Hackintosh up and running but am struggling with my graphics card...

anyway, this question is about the file com.apple.Boot.plist

I have 2 on my system, one in the folder "extras" which is on the root of my Mac HD and one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

The "extras" folder i believe is something put there by the custom osx install process as I've looked on my macbook and there is no such folder there.

Does anyone one know if the extras plist is actually used by the system at all or is the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ the only boot plist that is used?

The /Extra/ directory is used by the Chameleon bootloader (which emulates the EFI in your MacBook), so any kexts you put in /Extra/Extensions/ will be loaded first..........likewise, if you have a DSDT.aml file and/or com.apple.Boot.plist file in /Extra/ will be used at bootup.........

The /Extra/ directory is used by the Chameleon bootloader (which emulates the EFI in your MacBook), so any kexts you put in /Extra/Extensions/ will be loaded first..........likewise, if you have a DSDT.aml file and/or com.apple.Boot.plist file in /Extra/ will be used at bootup.........

thanks for the quick reply, and for explaining the use of the extras folder.

Can you tell me... does the system then use BOTH com.apple.Boot.plist files? i.e. first the Chameleon bootloader and then the OSX one?

Do you know anything about graphics card EFI strings? Am I correct in assuming the graphics card EFI strings should go in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ plist?

thanks for the quick reply, and for explaining the use of the extras folder.

Can you tell me... does the system then use BOTH com.apple.Boot.plist files? i.e. first the Chameleon bootloader and then the OSX one?

Do you know anything about graphics card EFI strings? Am I correct in assuming the graphics card EFI strings should go in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ plist?

I assume that both will be loaded, one after the other, so I ensure that the one in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ does not conflict with the one in /Extra/ by keeping it very simple:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386</string>

</dict>

</plist>

whereas com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra is the one that is used for the EFI graphics string because it is loaded first:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>"for example, 6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c.."</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string></string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

HELP!!!

I've managed to get into a Kernel Panic Situation on startup ... This maybe because I have entered an EFI string into my Extras folder boot.plist ... I think I rather stupidly left a different EFI string in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ boot.plist.

I've tried -x at the Darwin boot screen to get into safe mode but I still get a kernel panic.

Is there a way to get back in and fix this mistake or do I have to wipe the system and start again?

HELP!!!

I've managed to get into a Kernel Panic Situation on startup ... This maybe because I have entered an EFI string into my Extras folder boot.plist ... I think I rather stupidly left a different EFI string in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ boot.plist.

I've tried -x at the Darwin boot screen to get into safe mode but I still get a kernel panic.

Is there a way to get back in and fix this mistake or do I have to wipe the system and start again?

Try booting with -v -F

Try booting with -v -F

thanks Verdant, really appreciate your help :D

it still kernel panic'd ... I have begun a re-install ... will give me some time for a cup of coffee, a smoke, and some time to calm down.

I have also decided to give up on this stupid nvidia 9600 GT... I'll sell it and get another card that has better support.

any suggestions for a good graphics card that will work with my mobo?

thanks Verdant, really appreciate your help :)

it still kernel panic'd ... I have begun a re-install ... will give me some time for a cup of coffee, a smoke, and some time to calm down.

I have also decided to give up on this stupid nvidia 9600 GT... I'll sell it and get another card that has better support.

any suggestions for a good graphics card that will work with my mobo?

Don't give up on the 9600GT.....do you have HDD space sufficient to set up a second OS X volume of the same size as the first..........this way you can have a working system (with basic VESA graphics) and a test system for getting your 9600GT card working...........if you get a non-booting and/or black screen test volume, then you just boot into the working volume to remove the "changes" to the test volume..........this way fresh re-installs are not required............

How did you generate the EFI graphics string for your 9600GT card?

Don't give up on the 9600GT.....do you have HDD space sufficient to set up a second OS X volume of the same size as the first..........this way you can have a working system (with basic VESA graphics) and a test system for getting your 9600GT card working...........if you get a non-booting and/or black screen test volume, then you just boot into the working volume to remove the "changes" to the test volume..........this way fresh re-installs are not required............

How did you generate the EFI graphics string for your 9600GT card?

Fresh install done.... I have a 320GB HD so yeah there is plenty space... I guess I'd have to do another install to create a 2nd partition?

I used osx86Tools, however there is no included EFI string so I had to create a custom one.

Fresh install done.... I have a 320GB HD so yeah there is plenty space... I guess I'd have to do another install to create a 2nd partition?

I used osx86Tools, however there is no included EFI string so I had to create a custom one.

Is the HDD is GPT or MBR partitioned?

I used GUID Partition Table as per the Guide I followed

Using Disk Utility, under the Partition tab, you should be able to resize (reduce by 50%) the existing OS X partition and then use the + tab set up a new partition in the freed up space that you can format as a new OS X volume the same size as the new size of the exiting OS X volume..........I hope that makes sense

Using Disk Utility, under the Partition tab, you should be able to resize (reduce by 50%) the existing OS X partition and then use the + tab set up a new partition in the freed up space that you can format as a new OS X volume the same size as the new size of the exiting OS X volume..........I hope that makes sense

Yeah it makes sense.... may I ask one stupid question before I continue...? ;)

Can I revert to 1 partition afterwards without a complete reinstall once everything is working ok?

Yeah it makes sense.... may I ask one stupid question before I continue...? :)

Can I revert to 1 partition afterwards without a complete reinstall once everything is working ok?

I would recommend keeping the 2 OS X SL systems for the time being, just in case the next system update breaks the current system on OSx86...........by having two SL volumes, you only risk messing up one when making any system updates and/or other changes, which you can fix by booting into the other still working SL system, or you can simply clone the still working SL system onto the volume with the messed up system.........so never any risk of having to do a complete reinstall (unless both become messed up)......... ;)

I would recommend keeping the 2 OS X SL systems for the time being, just in case the next system update breaks the current system on OSx86...........by having two SL volumes, you only risk messing up one when making any system updates and/or other changes, which you can fix by booting into the other still working SL system, or you can simply clone the still working SL system onto the volume with the messed up system.........so never any risk of having to do a complete reinstall (unless both become messed up)......... ;)

ok, done... I guess I'll install OSX on the 2nd partition now.

thanks for your help so far.

Here's hoping you have some suggestions for getting the 9600GT working :)

ok, done... I guess I'll install OSX on the 2nd partition now.

thanks for your help so far.

Here's hoping you have some suggestions for getting the 9600GT working :)

Get two working OS X systems first.......then you can afford to play around with getting the 9600GT working....... ;)

ok, I have 2 working OSX systems.

:)

OK assuming two identical OS X systems, post all that you see at present under Graphics/Display in System Profiler........

Then, run Dr. Hurt's Chameleon 2.0 RC4 Installer and in com.apple.Boot.plist, include these lines:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

If that alone does not work, then try:

<string>yes</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

If one or the other works, post all that you then see under Graphics/Display in System Profiler........

Only if the above does not work, will we try EFI graphics string, or NVEnabler approaches........

OK assuming two identical OS X systems, post all that you see at present under Graphics/Display in System Profiler........

Then, run Dr. Hurt's Chameleon 2.0 RC4 Installer and in com.apple.Boot.plist, include these lines:

<string>Yes</string>

If that alone does not work, then try:

<string>yes</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

If one or the other works, post all that you then see under Graphics/Display in System Profiler........

Only if the above does not work, will we try EFI graphics string, or NVEnabler approaches........

Morning.

Currently in system profiler under Graphics/Display I have:

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x29c2

Revision ID: 0x0010

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

I'll download from your link now and try the first thing you suggested.

Not sure if this matters but I think I should provide as much info as possible about what I'm doing... When I boot my system I have it set to boot from CD/DVD first, in this drive I have my BootCD which is what I used for my SL install, it allows me to choose my startup drive each time I boot my system.

Is it ok to boot from this disk each time or should I be booting from the HD directly? let me know ;)

[update] ... I've tried the following with and w/out the BootCD:

<string>Yes</string>

No change to system profiler info, so then tried

<string>yes</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

Still no change to system profiler info :)

[update 2] ... I have the Lizard app which I was using yesterday to check stuff about my boot.plist. After installing Dr. Hurts Chameleon 2.0 the Lizard app can no longer find Chameleon, in the top left corner of the Boot options screen it has a little red light with the text "Chameleon ?"

When I boot into my other partition where I have not installed this version of Chameleon it does find it, i.e. green light with text "Chameleon 2 RC4".

For info, the version of Chameleon I used for my OSX install is one I found on a thread in this forum... it's in french but it seems specific to my mobo.

link to thread -> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;hl=G31M-ESL2

Morning.

Currently in system profiler under Graphics/Display I have:

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x29c2

Revision ID: 0x0010

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

I'll download from your link now and try the first thing you suggested.

Not sure if this matters but I think I should provide as much info as possible about what I'm doing... When I boot my system I have it set to boot from CD/DVD first, in this drive I have my BootCD which is what I used for my SL install, it allows me to choose my startup drive each time I boot my system.

Is it ok to boot from this disk each time or should I be booting from the HD directly? let me know :P

[update] ... I've tried the following with and w/out the BootCD:

<string>Yes</string>

No change to system profiler info, so then tried

<string>yes</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

Still no change to system profiler info :thumbsup_anim:

[update 2] ... I have the Lizard app which I was using yesterday to check stuff about my boot.plist. After installing Dr. Hurts Chameleon 2.0 the Lizard app can no longer find Chameleon, in the top left corner of the Boot options screen it has a little red light with the text "Chameleon ?"

When I boot into my other partition where I have not installed this version of Chameleon it does find it, i.e. green light with text "Chameleon 2 RC4".

For info, the version of Chameleon I used for my OSX install is one I found on a thread in this forum... it's in french but it seems specific to my mobo.

link to thread -> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;hl=G31M-ESL2

1. Graphics Enabler method will work for nVidia graphics cards BUT with your MOBO AFAIK, for video you have two choices; Intel onboard GPU OR an external PCI-E graphics card!

So, EITHER use the onboard Intel GMA 3100 GPU with the correct GMA3100 video kexts, OR in your BIOS select PCI-E rather than the onboard GPU as your primary display....

2. You should be able to boot from the HDD......

3. Have you tried reinstalling Lizard after you your installed Chamelon 2.0 RC4?

1. Graphics Enabler method will work for nVidia graphics cards BUT with your MOBO AFAIK, for video you have two choices; Intel onboard GPU OR an external PCI-E graphics card!

So, EITHER use the onboard Intel GMA 3100 GPU with the correct GMA3100 video kexts, OR in your BIOS select PCI-E rather than the onboard GPU as your primary display....

2. You should be able to boot from the HDD......

3. Have you tried reinstalling Lizard after you your installed Chamelon 2.0 RC4?

I have tried reinstalling Lizard... still doesn't pick up Chameleon, I then tried reinstalling the other version of Chameleon which is specific to my mobo and it recognises Chameleon again... this version also seems to be Chameleon 2.0 RC4 ... is there something specific in Dr Hurts Chameleon that I may need?

I have tried reinstalling Lizard... still doesn't pick up Chameleon, I then tried reinstalling the other version of Chameleon which is specific to my mobo and it recognises Chameleon again... this version also seems to be Chameleon 2.0 RC4 ... is there something specific in Dr Hurts Chameleon that I may need?

The Chameleon 2.0 RC4 bootloader is the same........but see what Dr Hurt says his installer V3 includes:

V3 contains the following changes:

1- Added option to install boot loader to different partitions including USB disks.

2- Added rekursor's modified boot which allows changing the UUID. (No need for UUID.kext)

3- Added a more advanced script. Fixes many problems and errors some people had.

The other version of Chameleon which is specific to your MOBO may include some specif kexts in /Extra/Extensions/.........I could not check as I did not see a download link.........but saw:

Installez "Chameleon V2 RC4 et dossier Extra personnalisé pour G31M-ES2L"

The Chameleon 2.0 RC4 bootloader is the same........but see what Dr Hurt says his installer V3 includes:

The other version of Chameleon which is specific to your MOBO may include some specif kexts in /Extra/Extensions/.........I could not check as I did not see a download link.........but saw:

Hi again,

Strange that dr hurts bootloader was not picked up by lizard? Not sure what that actually means to be honest??

I forgot to mention the link to the version of chameleon I used was in the download pack linked too in that thread but I had to translate the thread into English to follow it as I don't speak french (good ol google chrome ;)

So I managed to get my hands on an nvidia 8400gs which, after installing it was picked up immediately by my system.

I will revisit the 9600 but possibly not this week as I'm just so happy to have a working system right now i dare not mess with it. When I'm feeling brave I'm going to try and upgrade the hackintosh to 10.6.4 and I think at that time I will have another crack at the 9600.

Can I just say that I'm eternally grateful for all your help, you are a legend mate! I hope that when I do feel brave you are still lurking nearby to offer us noobs a helping hand! :P ... Many many thanks.

Hi again,

Strange that dr hurts bootloader was not picked up by lizard? Not sure what that actually means to be honest??

I forgot to mention the link to the version of chameleon I used was in the download pack linked too in that thread but I had to translate the thread into English to follow it as I don't speak french (good ol google chrome ;)

So I managed to get my hands on an nvidia 8400gs which, after installing it was picked up immediately by my system.

I will revisit the 9600 but possibly not this week as I'm just so happy to have a working system right now i dare not mess with it. When I'm feeling brave I'm going to try and upgrade the hackintosh to 10.6.4 and I think at that time I will have another crack at the 9600.

Can I just say that I'm eternally grateful for all your help, you are a legend mate! I hope that when I do feel brave you are still lurking nearby to offer us noobs a helping hand! :P ... Many many thanks.

Glad to help.........enjoy OS X........ :)

Helping you with your Gigabyte GA-G31M-ESL2 has been a departure for me since you do not have a nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO, and supporting users that do in my Snow Leopard and my two Leopard threads, plus my blog OSx86 Distro Install Guides, usually takes up all my time on IM........

• 6 months later...

Hi Verdant, Sorry to get this thread back to life after a very long time, but no other thread had any mention of Lizard not recognizing chameleon.

Ironically the grabs or anything are not rendering on my screen as the gpu does not have drivers!

I reinstalled chameleon, zappd lizard with appzapper & re-downloaded it, re-installed, same issue.

I noticed you have an asus mobo, me too!

mine is an m2n sli deluxe, with a 8600 gt - 512 mb ram

I was able to get iDeneb 1.6 lite working with the gpu, after I did a clean install of a leohazard snow leo 10.6.1, I could not get the gpu detected, I installed the drivers from the iDeneb disk, ended up with a blank black screen after darwin kicks in.

I have also followed most of the steps you have suggested, tried rc2 3, 4, but chameleon ain't being recognized, Help!

chameleon_.tiff

grabs_not_seen.tiff