[Guide] Retail Snow Leopard on Acer AO532h-2588 Netbook

alreadyhomeagain

1 post in this topic

I am writing this up because I recently got an Acer Aspire One AO532h-2588 on sale and have done my best to throw OSX on it. To get to the point where I am, it is fairly simple. I'm hoping this can be useful to someone else who recently grabbed on of these.

To start out with, I will name the things that I have not been able to get working. These are not necessarily things that cannot work, I just have not been able to figure them out yet with this strangely absent netbook in the osx86 scene.

Things I could not get working but can work.

-Sleep

-Sound (N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio (8086:27d8))

-Mic

Things I could not get working but most likely can work.

-Wifi (Atheros AR9285 (186c:002b))

-Update (I cannot update, even to 10.6.1 without failure of installation or an unidentifiable kernal panic)

Things working!

-All PS2

-Camera

-Battery (And manager)

-Graphics/Resolution (No Quartz yet)

-RAM

-Hibernation

-Network (This is the only thing that didn't work right after install, besides sound and wifi, so this is the only kext you need to install)

Not sure.

-Card Reader

-Video out

-Microphone

-Headphone (need sound first!)

The following is a list of things you will need.

Retail copy of Snow Leopard (or you can find the retail .dmg online, just make sure to check the md5!)

8GB+ Flash Drive or External Hard Drive

Working Mac or Hackintosh (have a friend lend you their laptop if you don't have this)

Ok so you are ready to make that USB Flash Drive bootable.

Go on your working OSX install and open Disk Utility. You will need to format your USB. Click your flash drive and go to the partition tab. Select 1 Partition. Give it a name and select Mac OS Extended Journaled for the type of partition. Make sure the drive is MBR. Click partition.

After the utility partitions your USB or External, pop in the retail snow leopard disc. Back in Disk Utility, click on the partition you just made on the USB (not the drive itself) and click restore. Right click on the Snow Leopard disc and click "Set as Source". Then drag the partition you just made from the side into the Destination field. Click restore and enter the system's password.

In about 10-20 minutes, the USB should now have the image of the retail version on it, but alas, it is not bootable. To do that use a simple little program called NetbookBootMaker. You need to use the absolute latest version which is located here.

http://code.google.com/p/netbook-installer...4%20RC1.app.zip

Run that and select the USB Drive image that you just created and hit Install (or Go or whatever it says, doing this from memory). It should install within 30 seconds and you now have a bootable USB Retail Snow Leopard! Hurray!

Pop the thumb drive into your Aspire One and turn it on. You will need to hit F2 during the BIOS screen and under the "Main" portion you need to enable "F12 Boot Menu". Restart your netbook and this time hit F12 when the Acer logo screen pops up. Your USB Drive should be an option, select it, and the OSX installer should pop up!

Ok so if the installer does not load at this point, something went wrong and you will need to retry the steps above. Otherwise continue.

Ok so now you can just install Snow Leopard on your hard drive like any time you have before (if you have before). You will notice as the installer pops up that resolution and graphics are working natively! This is why I chose retail snow leopard over any other distro (including iAtkos most recent and older, IPC, xXx, I tried all of these and graphics were not working!).

Run Disk Utility before you do anything from the utilities menu. Select your 160GB Hard Drive and click the partition tab again. Select one partition, Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID(It is very important to remember to select GUID), and click partition. Then exit Disk Utility and continue with the install.

Install to your hard drive that you just formatted. If it looks like the install hangs, just move the mouse with the trackpad (also working natively) and it should jump ahead a bit and continue installing. It takes about a half hour on my AO532h-2588. After it installs, click reboot and remove the USB Drive.

Surprisingly, most things are working out of the box now! I found the dock works better if you position it on the left and auto-hide it, but that is just preference. Also disable animations and stuff for the dock because they will be choppy.

The only thing left to do is to put Kext Helper b7 on your new machine, and install this perfect little kext to get the network working. The name of the kext is AtherosL1cEthernet.kext. Run kext helper and type your password in. Drag the kext file into kext helper and click easy install. Next you can either repair permissions in Disk Utility, or download OSX86Tools and repair them. I used OSX86Tools, and Repaired Permissions and Cleared the cache all in one go after installing with kext helper. The system recognized the network in the middle of the repairing :).

Restart after the permissions are repaired and now you are where I am at with this netbook! It does not feel too gimped, plus you can add a 2GB stick to these guys which I am guessing will help snow leopard.

Things NOT to do if you are not an expert.

-Do not update this machine in any way using the updates from Apple. They all will not install or will cause kernal panics after the install which I cannot identify, even with -v boot flags.

-Do not try to enable quartz unless you are brave

So basically I have tryed TONS of kexts to get the aforementioned wifi and sound hardware to work. Nothing has really been working, but I did finally make a breakthrough in finding out slightly more about the audio with installing lspci.

It identifies my hardware like this-

[center][sub]00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation
Pineview DMI Bridge[/sub][/center]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel
Corporation Pineview Integrated Graphics Controller[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]00:02.1 Display controller: Intel
Corporation Pineview Integrated Graphics Controller[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation
82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation
82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation
82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation
82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation
82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation
82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation
82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation
82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation
82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation
Tigerpoint LPC Controller (rev 02)[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel
Corporation 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G
(ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic
Technology Corp. Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev c0)[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

[left][sub]02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros
Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)[/sub][/left]

[left]

[/left]

So there we can see that the sound is 82801G Intel sound controller. I am fairly sure there is some way to get this working with a few simple kexts, and may work on a fully updated machine, but like I said, updates brick this machine (don't do it!).

I have tryed tons of IO kexts and even the latest VoodooHDA kext packages, but none of these are working.

As for the the wifi, it works on 10.6.3 probably, and for sure on the latest beta 10.6.5, but I would prefer to get a Dell or Broadcom card for cheap if I can get the sound working.

I hope this helps someone, and if anyone has any information on getting that sound or wifi card working on vanilla 10.6.0, please help me! Preferably a step by step of any kexts I need to install or remove from the System/Extra/Extensions folder. So please chime in. If a mod could move this to a more visible location that would be very nice as well. I can clean it up if the guide is not formatted colorfully or syntactically correct. Thanks!

Alreadyalmosthome