Basic guide about nVidia kexts

oldnapalm

87 posts in this topic

I have 8400M GS 128MB. Running on SL 10.6.4

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400M GS] [10de:0427] (rev a1)

kernel[0]: NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

Now, using Chameleon and GraphicsEnabler=Yes video card works fine. But shutdown doesn't work. This is my only problem. If I remove the GraphicsEnabler and I don't have any hardware acceleration shutdown works as it should. I'm guessing something is wrong with the driver or graphicsenabler?

I would really like to get a fix for this and I would really appreciate it.

With patched or not patched DSDT and NVEnabler shutdown doesn't work.

Now I removed any graphics enabler/injector and used the patched dsdt and can't make it shut down.

I have to check each fix individually to see which causes the problem without graphics enabled.

What else could be?

The other problem I found with NVEnabler is that it doesn't detect external display, only if booted with it connected and can mirror, while GraphicsEnabler detects my external display and can't mirror.

Could this be a problem that I'm running SL in 64 bit mode? The kexts I used are all 64 bit compatible.

Hi,

I know that has been talked in another topic but i can't find it anymore.

My Geforce 9500 MGT works fine but since 10.6.3 i've lost my output (hdmi and vga).

I'd like to know if there are possibilities to setup the pin or irq's in order to make them working again ?

Right now when i try to plug my hdmi screen, SL freezes.

Thanks in advance

What about a Geforce GT 240? Will this work on it? I have on ATI Card but want to switch to nVidia. I've found this card, but have no idea if it will work with this method. It's in the Chameleon nVidia card trunk, I looked it up, but I dont know if that means it'll work. I haven't bought anything yet so I'm still looking for options, but I am leaning toward this one. Any advice appreciated.

-Computer Geek

With patched or not patched DSDT and NVEnabler shutdown doesn't work.

Now I removed any graphics enabler/injector and used the patched dsdt and can't make it shut down.

I have to check each fix individually to see which causes the problem without graphics enabled.

What else could be?

The other problem I found with NVEnabler is that it doesn't detect external display, only if booted with it connected and can mirror, while GraphicsEnabler detects my external display and can't mirror.

Could this be a problem that I'm running SL in 64 bit mode? The kexts I used are all 64 bit compatible.

Maybe the problem is the shutdown patch in DSDT that you don't need (in method _PTS).

Looks like GraphicsEnabler is a better choice in your case. I don't know about mirror mode, my laptop has Intel X3100 video and mirror also doesn't work.

Hi,

I know that has been talked in another topic but i can't find it anymore.

My Geforce 9500 MGT works fine but since 10.6.3 i've lost my output (hdmi and vga).

I'd like to know if there are possibilities to setup the pin or irq's in order to make them working again ?

Right now when i try to plug my hdmi screen, SL freezes.

Thanks in advance

I never used a video card with HDMI output, but I read that there's a problem with HDMI in nVidia drivers 10.6.3 and 10.6.4. Search for "nvidia hdmi" in the forum.

What about a Geforce GT 240? Will this work on it? I have on ATI Card but want to switch to nVidia. I've found this card, but have no idea if it will work with this method. It's in the Chameleon nVidia card trunk, I looked it up, but I dont know if that means it'll work. I haven't bought anything yet so I'm still looking for options, but I am leaning toward this one. Any advice appreciated.

-Computer Geek

Have not tested myself, but some people report it's working.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=198324

I guess my general question is if QE/CI works with this method.

By "this method" you mean GraphicsEnabler? This topic also mentions other methods.

Looks like people are using custom EFI strings, so I guess GraphicsEnabler is not working well for this card.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225948

well, yes, GraphicsEnabler. but doesn't that inject EFI strings?

It injects properties in the device tree, based on hardware detection. It may not work 100% for all cards.

In the topic about GT 240 (link in my previous post) they are using a manually edited EFI string, not the automatically generated by Chameleon.

Hello All,

How can you clear-- or change-- the last used graphics resolution

from single user mode ( '-s', text only boot option )?

I had a PNY 8400GS PCI card and iDeneb (10.5.5). While configuring drivers/injectors

I had fail messages on the boot screen but the GUI started after a long time.

Booted into a supported card resolution-- not one supported by vesa.

In display properties, there were a whole list of resolution

options. One was 1920x1080, which is my native monitor res.

I selected it and the screen turned solid blue.

I expected to be able to boot into single user mode and

delete 'com.apple.windowserver.plist', which had saved me with

other screen related mistakes, but there was no such file.

From then on, I could only boot graphics in safe mode, or by

removing NV* and Ge* from /System/Library/Extensions.

When I put them back, the blue screen was back.

I restored my system. This time from XxX 10.5.6 distro, and

my resolutions came up correctly-- selecting NVkush and NVinjector

on install. I have all supported resolutions and Profiler

says my bios is 'NVinjector'. There are success messages

from NVkush in the log, but there is no QE/CI.

Before I start tampering in the hopes of getting QE/CI working,

I want to find out if there is a way to get 'un-blued screened'

should I bungle things again.

So again, my question:

How can you clear-- or change-- the last used graphics resolution

from single user mode.

Thanks!

ab

I don't know how to change resolution from single user mode, but I think your problem is not the resolution. Did you try using the other output of your video card?

You could try this injector

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=139203

I found this app to change resolution from command line. I believe it won't work from single user mode, but it may work in safe mode, or if you boot without video kexts or without an injector

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?stor...090413120929454

setgetscreenres.zip

First, @oldnapalm, Thank you! I have QE/CI and its due to all the comments and leads in this post.

Its great how you're still answering confused beginners (like me) months after your initial post.

I had NVinjectGo, NVinject, NVDarwin, and NVkush kexts all present in /S/L/E. Since system.log showed no

errors I didn't think this was a problem. The only one that reported finding my card by name was

NVDarwin, so I renamed the other injectors (to *.hold.) This was I all needed! Booted with all resolutions, HW

accel CI and supported QE. Big performance difference in basic GUI (Expose and Spaces). Every bit as fast

as my G5 intel imac.

A comment for other's struggling to understand the inject process. I thought I would have to add my devcie id

to NVDAResman and NVDANV50hal kexts. (and possibly other places like GeForce*.) Not so. My device

ID is not in any of these.

A single injector, and unmodified kexts are probably documented elsewhere-- probably even in this post :P --

but I missed it.

My card is a PNY 8400gs PCI 512M. I loaded the XxX 10.5.6 distribution. All video related kext's are

default. I also added "GraphicsEnabler=y" to my com.apple.Boot.plist. Since I did this before removing the

extra injectors I'm not sure if that is required or not.

>> You could try this injector

>> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=139203

Yes, I got lucky and corrected my problem before trying this injector, but this is also a very

useful post for 8400gs users. I was having the same symptoms (blue screen and timeouts)

described there.

>> I found this app to change resolution from command line.

>> http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?stor...090413120929454

>> setgetscreenres.zip ( 1.81K ) Number of downloads: 0

Thank you for the binary. I saw this but hadn't yet re-installed Xcode to compile it.

See you again when I scrounge up an old drive and try to move to 10.6.

(I'm *not* blowing this drive away :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there!

I'm having problems trying to get QE/CI working on 10.6.4. I have an old Geforce 7200GS. It worked flawlessly on 10.6.1 with NVEnabler 64 but after updating I lost the graphic card. Now i can choose all the supported resolutions using NVInject but can't get QE/CI working. Added my DeviceID to GeForce.kext, NVDANV40Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext.

Any ideas are welcomed! :)

This guy reported the card as working with GraphicsEnabler

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1471611

However it won't work if you put that option in com.apple.Boot.plist in the HD and boot using a CD, you have to install Chameleon to the HD and boot from it. You can try typing "GraphicsEnabler=yes" in the boot screen. You may also need "PciRoot=1".

Sorry to be a noob about this, I'm currently doing my research via Safari on my hackintosh so I'm moving in the right direction.

I have an EVGA 8800 GT SSC.. http://www.evga.com/articles/378.asp

I can install a NVEnabler kext and get my video looking great (QE supported) but when I get the kext loaded it screws up my mouse. It causes my mouse to go jumpy, and inverted motion. Everything goes jumpy with applications loading and I cannot load System Preferences.

I'm using a PS/2 keyboard and USB optic mouse. Would a quick fix be to buy a USB keyboard?

I'll try to do a fix using Lizard to see if I get the same results but I've tried 4 or 5 different Nvidia kexts and same problems...

Thanks in advance for your help...;)

Semmy