drho2004

drho2004

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:hardware, cars
Hey thanks for the 'how to'
i did like you posted, and i think i got everything right, but when i remove the Install DVD and reboot, i get the Gray apple screen wit the apple, then i get a 'cancel' icon on top of the Apple icon. with the rotating wheel inderneath just spinning. and it stays there forever. not sure what im doing wrong

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts
What packages did you choose in the Customize window during installation?

FabricioGS

FabricioGS

Hackint0sh Lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
Rammjet,

Is there any comand I can set in com.apple.boot.plist, <key>Kernel Flags</key> section to specify with partition to boot to?

I have 3 boot (Win XP 32 bits, Win XP 64 bits and MAC OS X in this partition order). The default partition is set to Win XP 32 bits witch I use most of the time but when I boot to Mac OS i´d like to go to it´s partition straith without having to select Mac OS X partition again from the Darving menu.

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts
Try rd=disk0s3

Soündless

Soündless

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 2,318 posts
  • Interests:surfing, macs, skating, scheming
okay, i didint boot onto my disk, i just did this in terminal in regular osx. now i cant boot to win 'nix or osx without the dvd. is there anything i can do?

groux

groux

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Hi, thanks a lot Rammjet for your guide.

I think I did everything said but no way. I can not boot after having a copy of my main partition with carbon copy cloner to my other drive. I just got a blank screen with a flashing underscore.

Attached File  fdisk.jpg   125.4KB   590 downloads

I think also that the primary partition done with gparted was right. I'm getting nut. I can not determine where the problem come from.

Attached File  diskutil.jpg   93.59KB   387 downloads

Any help? Thanks

gastonlagaffe........

gastonlagaffe........

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
i have this error after reboot:

error loading operating system...

the mac os partition IS active...

can someone help me? ty :rolleyes::)

rooter

rooter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
i' ve just installed jas 10.4.8 with semthex 8.8.1 i think and installs ok. When it finishes and restarts it shows a blinking cursor and nothing happens. If i try to boot from dvd is starts installation again. Tested with sata and ide drives. same problem. Its not the "b0" error. It shows nothing but a blinking cursor. i had a stable 10.4.7 installation prior to this. Any help?

Shanems3

Shanems3

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
i get the exact same error, any insite???

macvn

macvn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your help, Rammjet!

videoguru

videoguru

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Video Editing
Hi Ramjet

Pls could you help as you seem to be the master on this subject

I also get the flashing cursor after an install and can only boot with the dvd in the drive ...
I have tried to Fdisk from the console and I get an error that tells me I could not get exclusive acess to the drive to complete the write, would I like to reboot the machine to which I reply yes , exit , reboot . This however does not resolve anything . I tried this from the DVD ( ie from setup - utilities ) and from inside the OS . I tried as SU and as ROOT .

I also tried to Fdisk from win98 floppy and all I get is that non dos partition is already set as active .
I tried to drop the drive into a win XP machine and SET DrIVE ACTIVE , but the option is greyed out ...
I also tried to Fdisk from win98 cd , then once dos partition was made and set active I erased ( HFS journaled) and installed from JAS dvd . all to no avail ... It still requires DVD to boot ...

the other option I tried was to partition another disk (seagate 80 gb sata ) from disk utility in the OS with the top menu of partition ie not boot sector for dos ... ( to boot an intel Mac ) and all of these options have not worked ...

any ideas

I would be extremely grateful if you could help out on this one as it is all I require for my hackintosh to be perfect ... :)

rational

rational

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Hi,
I was also just having all these problems. It started out with the mac.boot.apple.plist thingie when trying to boot from the CD, then the blinking underscore cursor when not trying to boot with the CD. Then I got the d0 error, I was one step close. I got to this point by going into the disk utility and deleting some free space at the front of the drive. But it turned out that my partition was still not active. Which I knew.

I tried the fdisk thing but got the permissions reply. I hadn't realized I coulda tried the 'sudo' in front to upgrade the permissions. This might've worked.

Anyway, how I fixed it:
1. Low level formatted the HD to remove everything.
2. Used Partition Magic to create a new partition (unformatted).
3. Made it active.
4. Started the OSX boot installer but went into Disk Utility and formatted the partition with "Mac OS Journaled"
5. Installed OSX with the JAS installer and it finally could see the partition and boot up.
SO I've gotten this far so far. My next problem is that I just have the grey apple screen with the frozen circular progress indicator.... next hurdle to tackle. Anyone point me in the right direction? I'll start my thread searches now I guess in the meantime.

Thought this might help you all.
Rational.

Linux_Inside V2

Linux_Inside V2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
For people who don't wanna wait for the installer to load there is a quicker way

instead of going in and doing it through the gui just type -s and press enter for the darwin boot options and do it from that shell, much quicker!

Gieffe

Gieffe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
hello,
I installed the MacOSX 10.4.8 from a JaS 10.4.8 disk on a different HD (not a partition. I tought (wrongly) that I could try that way on a second time. Everything went smooth (seemed) during the installation. The DVD started with the "usual" windows (I am a Mac user) and so on. Until the VERY last when my wife called me.... When I came back there was the underscore symbol blinking on the black screen. I had to restart as I could do nothing... not even type anything. From that time there was NO chance!!!! I am not anymore able to boot from a MacOSX DVD installer! I downladed a new one from a Torrent (may be different as newer) but everytime I boot from DVD I get the blinking underscore cursor!!! So I cannot try to install the OS using the same HD of XP partitioned... :-(
Please.... any suggestion? Do you think I might get trough reformatting EVERYTHING? :-)
Thanks
Gabriele

Anyone with any idea? I tried all in my knoledge to solve the problem. I am sure the installation started the first time!!! I tried with a wired keybord but it does not write when the blinking underscore cursor appears. So it is NOT a keyboard related problem...
I bought a new Hard Drive and I unplugghed the one with XP op0erating system but the blinking bloody cursor appears again. It seems that the first time the OSX started wrote something somewhere in the hardware of the PC, bur where????!!!!! Whwn the only operating system is the one on the DVd ndrive it should stard from there... The hardware is OK: motherboard ASUS P5LD2-SE and ATI X1300. PLEASE any idea? Any other suggestion? Different from buying a REAL Apple mac.... ;-)
Please give me a suggestion...
Thanks
Gabriele

beheivjer

beheivjer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
all i get is the blinking curser also after going through all these choices and other ides

turion64 x2 1.5 gb ram 20gb hd

demonio

demonio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I did everything as described on the top of the topic, nothing changes. Btw, my osx86 partition was already active. Maybe formatting as one only partition could help?

kocoman

kocoman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
I also have this problem to "migrate from a smaller drive to a larger one" windows have Digital Lifeguard, Linux has cp -axv.. but Mac I have to use CCC, at first I got the "b0 error", then set active partition, then reboot and just get a blank screen with the cursor blinking at the top left corner.
I also try to "update" (in fdisk) to update the machine code. but still same problem

For migrating CCC doesn't work for me (b0 error, then blank screen). While hatchery does (but needs pw in dmg file), it has the "Bless mode" for hacktonish.

omass

omass

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Anyone can explain me please, why there is emty tabs when I write "p" on terminal???

Attached File  ishot_1.jpg   107.32KB   356 downloads

carloshgdv

carloshgdv

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay after a couple of days Ive figured out the solution for those that simply get a blinking cursor when they boot up after a fresh install. The reason is in disk utility we formatted the hard drive using GUID partition, which only Macs can "read". For regular PC's you need the MBR partition. To get it working:

1. Within Disk Utility Select a Physical Hard drive
2. Go to partition
3. Once you have chosen how you want to set up your partitions at the bottom go to options and select Master Boot Record
4. Continue installing, re-boot, and hopefully no more damned blinking cursor.

l3opard

l3opard

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
When I check my hard drive with a ubuntu live cd, it tells me the partition is hFS and the flag is boot. Does boot mean 'active'?

When I boot it gives me a boot loading error..that's it. I will try these steps suggested by ramjet hopefully the loading error means it is not active... anyone experienced the same please shed some light...thanks!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy