• Slackware
    • Debian
    • Knoppix
    • Red Hat
    • Ubuntu and derivitives
    • Other

42 posts in this topic

So a short user experience with pc-bsd:

I never had a fast and easy installation like this. I had to click 4 or 5 times on a button, than it took some minutes and than the system was ready to use.

In about 1 hour i got every basic prog installed i need for network administration. Rdesktop, samba, firefox, codecs, nvidia drivers, SMP-Kernel, PostScript printers, dual dislay configuration, openoffice, KDE Transparancy :)

Everything what came out of a pbi package worked really great.

One thing cost me a lot of time, but this is not PCBSDs fault or not the fault of Linux too. Dual display configurations with TwinView always set the CRT as Screen0 if you have CRT and DFP connected simultaniously. There is no real solution for this bug now. You can only tell the xorg.conf CRT.. RightOf DFP... That works but this is not the same like swapping Screen0 and Screen1.

Nevermind it works now.

I know that this is not the newest system, but this is my workstation at work. 2xPIII 1 Ghz, 768 MB RD-RAM, 10.000 RPM SCSI discs, Intel i840 Chipset, NVIDIA Quadro (something like FX5700) 128MB AGP

There are still two things I don't like:

1) The speed of the user Interface is not really snappy. Some days ago I worked with Windows 2000, which was running totally great on it. My self compiled gentoo was very snappy too. I mean that moving of windows or doubleclicking on icons has always a delay in PC-BSD. Maybe its KDE, former i used Gnome and I like it more. I can't exclude that this KDE/Gnome issue. That seems to be not a hardware problem because the drivers seems to be installed correctly.

2)What happens if I need to install a software, e.g. MATLAB which is for Linux and don't have pbi files. I already filtered everything i need out of pbidir.com, and now i need some exotic scientific software, what to do how to compile and how to install?

Another question: Is there a possibility to install Gnome? I think the users I want to see work with this OS will be confused with KDE (Too many progs and buttons).

Finally, it was easiest and most comfortable installation I ever made.

So a short user experience with pc-bsd:

I never had a fast and easy installation like this. I had to click 4 or 5 times on a button, than it took some minutes and than the system was ready to use.

In about 1 hour i got every basic prog installed i need for network administration. Rdesktop, samba, firefox, codecs, nvidia drivers, SMP-Kernel, PostScript printers, dual dislay configuration, openoffice, KDE Transparancy :P

Everything what came out of a pbi package worked really great.

One thing cost me a lot of time, but this is not PCBSDs fault or not the fault of Linux too. Dual display configurations with TwinView always set the CRT as Screen0 if you have CRT and DFP connected simultaniously. There is no real solution for this bug now. You can only tell the xorg.conf CRT.. RightOf DFP... That works but this is not the same like swapping Screen0 and Screen1.

Nevermind it works now.

I know that this is not the newest system, but this is my workstation at work. 2xPIII 1 Ghz, 768 MB RD-RAM, 10.000 RPM SCSI discs, Intel i840 Chipset, NVIDIA Quadro (something like FX5700) 128MB AGP

There are still two things I don't like:

1) The speed of the user Interface is not really snappy. Some days ago I worked with Windows 2000, which was running totally great on it. My self compiled gentoo was very snappy too. I mean that moving of windows or doubleclicking on icons has always a delay in PC-BSD. Maybe its KDE, former i used Gnome and I like it more. I can't exclude that this KDE/Gnome issue. That seems to be not a hardware problem because the drivers seems to be installed correctly.

2)What happens if I need to install a software, e.g. MATLAB which is for Linux and don't have pbi files. I already filtered everything i need out of pbidir.com, and now i need some exotic scientific software, what to do how to compile and how to install?

Another question: Is there a possibility to install Gnome? I think the users I want to see work with this OS will be confused with KDE (Too many progs and buttons).

Finally, it was easiest and most comfortable installation I ever made.

The problem is in kde, ill get in to pc-bsd and pm u, had the same problem, you can install gnome, but alll the pbis wont work ne more, youd have to use free/dragonfly/open bsd to do that and use the ports (or whatever teh others use, im not sure) witch is a pain...

glad to hear you like it :)

max

Oh, and ps, if you cant find the unique pbi files (those hard to find ones) there are over 10,000 pieces of software in the freebsd ports system, witch is harder than the pbis to use, but you seem quite compatent.

freebsds support great! and extensible got too much programs with it and for servers its perfect.

Yep, im teaching myself ports, and such so that i can move on to a more traditional bsd that requires alot more user imput... i hope that it goes well

max

So far i just installed PC-BSD and it is sooo much easier for me then any other linux distro i have tried...(Ubuntu,Fedora Core,SuSe,and so on) I mean my wireless didn't even work when I installed it but I went into help and typed the linux interface name for my wireless card (ath) and it showed how to configure it....so easy to use. A++

So far i just installed PC-BSD and it is sooo much easier for me then any other linux distro i have tried...(Ubuntu,Fedora Core,SuSe,and so on) I mean my wireless didn't even work when I installed it but I went into help and typed the linux interface name for my wireless card (ath) and it showed how to configure it....so easy to use. A++

Good to hear, now that all the problems are sorted out :blink:

enjoy, and good talking to you

max

Ooohh.. I just had to get into this debate.

A little history. A while back I decided to go the non-redmond way. (I never really liked any of 'em in the 1st place but win2k). So in Uni I was introduced to Linux with very little mentioned of Unix. I wokrd with various (more like tried to) Linux(es?) for a while but none ever felt comfortable. Then I went BSD.

This is my opinion:

If you'd rather take the workings of your machine into your own grubby little hands then you most definately want Unix, I found it to be the more modular and compartmentalised out of the two. Easier to develop on but, bend your knees and pray to the god of Mecha for support, if you wish to use it as an End User system. But you get more satisfaction out of it. I stuck with FreeBSD for a while back then, even to the point of exclusively installing it on both my Dell laptops till thay died.

I never really got into it in the end as I really only used it for lower level Programming development. Now It's been about 3/4years since I touched anything but windows. I'd like to say I love the Mac as I started out on them and would/should be getting me a macbook soon; reason being that in today's world you want something that works well and is very reliable. Mac is built on a solid foundation and let's face it..... It made geek Chic!

To Summarize:

1) Linux: End User OS for the x86 that's the closest thing to windows without the headaches(save some compatibility issues).

2) BSD: Near Rock solid alternate. It's not exactly an OS, you have to turn it into one. Best for low level developments but not user(or rather noob) friendly.

P.S. I converted a few friends to BSD and one showed me PC BSD last year I liked it and will give it a go as I'd like my End User System and my favourite dev system in 1. I'm now going to pray that it can support my nVidia chipset as I only use 1 SATA HD on the system so far :idea:

• 1 month later...

I've been browsing this forums a little today, and all I've seen verywhere is bloody PC-BSD :P

I'm definently goign to have to try it, I've been using FreeBSD for a few years now.

My only complains with FreeBSD (and all BSDs) are the well documented facts that Java is almost near impossible to make not suck, and Flash cannot be made to not suck :P

Linux on the other hand, does these pretty decently. But hey, I've never ben able to stand Linux :P Giant Kernels and yet KLMs everywhere, scares the bejeezus out of me :P

Also, Ports is fantastic, I usually build my OS from packages, andthen rebuild from source via ports. With simple optimizations, it flies low :D.

I have used various linux flavors for my desktop machine over the past five years and only deviated once from linux to BSD when I set up a FreeBSD server with Samba as a domain controller. And I must say I really liked the ports system and rock solid stability of FreeBSD. I started with Redhat and Mandrake, neither of which had an extended stay on my system. Then after playing with SuSe (when I say playing, I mean playing, SuSe is a toy) I made the plunge to Gentoo which has been my distro ever since. The ability to completely customize my system from the ground up was very appealing. It was this same appeal that led me away from the bloated desktop environments, ala KDE and Gnome, and to the wonderful world of window managers where I discovered the power of Fluxbox, FVWM, and finally Enlightenment. I stuck with Enlightenment for a couple years until Enlightenment DR17 presented itself in beta form and I immediately installed it. For me Enlightenment DR17 is the ultimate desktop, incredibly fast (even on older systems), absolutely beautiful, very customizable, and very solid. But because its still in beta form it is still missing some functionality. I have recently gotten a Mac Mini and love OSX. I love OSX because of its ease of use, and the fact that everything just works! I miss complete and total control over every aspect of my system and I miss the speed of Enlightenment compared to OSX. But when I get home sick for Gentoo I just boot it up on my external hard drive and bask in its glory. What I did get tired of in Gentoo was when updates would break my system and I had to spend a bunch of time trouble shooting, I definitely don't miss those times. Now if I was going to use a distro for my main system I would probably choose Ubuntu, because like OSX, Ubuntu just works.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used all 3. BSD is much harder and server oriented.. Linux is growing better and has more hardware support it seems. But I noticed BSD is faster in slow/fast pcs.

Be careful what you mean when you say "BSD". They aren't all the same. FreeBSD runs like a bat out of hell. And by FreeBSD, I mean FreeBSD on x86. On the other end of the scale OpenBSD runs like butt, even outperformed by its ancestor NetBSD under heavy load. Of course, this is based off what I read off Slashdot 3 years ago, but the point still holds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm downloading PC-BSD. I've messed with plenty of flavors of linux, and all of them suffer from one big issue...they just suck.

Considering BSD uses KDE on top I don't think it'll be much better considering my biggest issue is with the UI, followed closely by hardware support and the fact that the installers suck. I've been on windows since I was 11 or 12, and after using OSX, I just don't understand why the installers can't be better.

If BSD doesn't have the idiotic dependancy problems linux has, it's damn near got me sold. With modern high speed internet, there should be no reason for me to have to hunt down some rare/odd version of some small support app. My personal system has 160gigs, does it really matter if the 3 "different" Video players I have all have a copy of the Mpeg2dec library? After all I have 3 apps that do essentially the same damn thing.

I really want to get off windows (though I think XP has been a damn nice OS really), but so far the alternatives have sucked donkey balls. Linux prides itself on it's hardware support, yet so far, my ("god" only knows how old) ATI All-in-wonder cards (pro/radeon 7500's) at best have partial 3d acceleration support. My current Intel 965 chipset system can't even run Ubuntu.

/sorta-rant

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone needs help using ports it's very simple. first you need to update your ports sources. just open a terminal and type:

#portsdb -u

#portsdb -U

Then goto http://www.freshports.org and search for whatever you want and the results will have something like:

To install the port: #cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer/ && make install clean

just copy the syntax for whatever you want to install and type it in the terminal and ports will take care of the rest.

Ports will download and then compile your program.

If anyone needs help using ports it's very simple. first you need to update your ports sources. just open a terminal and type:

#portsdb -u

#portsdb -U

Then goto http://www.freshports.org and search for whatever you want and the results will have something like:

To install the port: #cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer/ && make install clean

just copy the syntax for whatever you want to install and type it in the terminal and ports will take care of the rest.

Ports will download and then compile your program.

Good site, i love it, it makes me not have to guess :D and search :) and stuff like that, gotta love it :o