• Mandriva
    • Slackware
    • Debian
    • Knoppix
    • Red Hat
    • Ubuntu and derivitives
    • Other

42 posts in this topic

In my opinion BSD (i use pc-bsd) is much better than linux. It is more secure in general, It has much cleaner code, and has alot of stuff for it.

here are alot of other reasions that i do not want to write about here : http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants.../bsd4linux1.php that just shows the differences of bsd and linuxOSX, but pritty much backs up my arguement, In Linux's defense, there are tons of packages available for it, its very customizable, and there is a huge community that is very dedicated and lots of help.

max

i use freebsd. the only thing that stops me from using it regularly is the lack of proprietary ati driver. ati catalyst doesn't support freebsd (which sucks big time). there was a port introduced but i think the author abandoned it or have something else in mind...

here's the link http://www.fglrx-freebsd.com/ (you'll never know, it might spark interest)

on the other hand, nvidia users are safe. rejoice!

edit: i just found out that DRI supports ATI 3dacceleration (i think radeons only)

i use freebsd. the only thing that stops me from using it regularly is the lack of proprietary ati driver. ati catalyst doesn't support freebsd (which sucks big time). there was a port introduced but i think the author abandoned it or have something else in mind...

here's the link http://www.fglrx-freebsd.com/ (you'll never know, it might spark interest)

on the other hand, nvidia users are safe. rejoice!

edit: i just found out that DRI supports ATI 3dacceleration (i think radeons only)

Yea.... ive got an ati card, and i havnt had 3d acceleration in any opensource, its because ATI only shows OSX/Windows love... hopefully the buyout from AMD will fix that!

p.s. I know there is a linux driver, but it sucks, so dont give me that {censored}.

max

I've personally never used any form of BSD, I guess I'll have to try it out soon. As for Linux I'd defidently have to say my favorite distro is Ubuntu Linux.

I spent too much of time with linux now. Usually I'm working as SysAdmin with Windows and OSX Systems. Suddenly I decided to try Linux, and I didn't understand it. So I spent about 1 year (not absolutely continuous) with Linux and finished with Gentoo. Gentoo is a nice Distro if you want to learn how Linux works, but I didn't like this whole ultra-customizable timeconsuming stuff. In addition there was no software for my needs, I'm working with Adobe most of time.

After i read this thread and some of the link bwhsh8r posted in the beginning i tried PC-BSD. I liked it immidiately. Its more like OSX or better like Darwin and the concept is better structured than Linux or Solaris.

I'll take a closer look at BSD now.

Thank you bwhsh8r!

I spent too much of time with linux now. Usually I'm working as SysAdmin with Windows and OSX Systems. Suddenly I decided to try Linux, and I didn't understand it. So I spent about 1 year (not absolutely continuous) with Linux and finished with Gentoo. Gentoo is a nice Distro if you want to learn how Linux works, but I didn't like this whole ultra-customizable timeconsuming stuff. In addition there was no software for my needs, I'm working with Adobe most of time.

After i read this thread and some of the link bwhsh8r posted in the beginning i tried PC-BSD. I liked it immidiately. Its more like OSX or better like Darwin and the concept is better structured than Linux or Solaris.

I'll take a closer look at BSD now.

Thank you bwhsh8r!

No problem, glad to hear that some one else agrees with me!!! if you ever need any help then just let me know. I was just like you untill i stumbled on to the os as well, its really not as talked about as linux tho... if any one needs any help with bsd let me know btw!

let me know how you like everything after like a week, oh and if you want transparency on the kde and dont know how let me kno too.

max

How is Ubuntu and derivitives, as it DOES NOT RUN ON MY MODERN HARDWARE...... rant, i know, but still, how is it, and how is it so much diferent than any other linux? BSD FOR LIFE, btw!

thanks, im looking for an awnser from you colonels :), thanks

max

i think all of you are mixing things up a bit.

bsd and linux are just kernels

what you are seeing in your monitor is just the userland.

userland can be (almost) the same for both bsd and linux

i.e. gentoo flavour can run with both linux or bsd kernels with a minimal effort. and a normal user will never see the difference

all i see here is just a... BSD's COOL!!! LINUX FOR LIFE!

not a true debate on what's the better style and why it is.

notes apart... i think that linux's a way better for multimedia purposes

BSD instead is better for embended servers cos it delivers an higher security, however serving performance are (kinda) the same as on linux

i think all of you are mixing things up a bit.

bsd and linux are just kernels

what you are seeing in your monitor is just the userland.

userland can be (almost) the same for both bsd and linux

i.e. gentoo flavour can run with both linux or bsd kernels with a minimal effort. and a normal user will never see the difference

all i see here is just a... BSD's COOL!!! LINUX FOR LIFE!

not a true debate on what's the better style and why it is.

notes apart... i think that linux's a way better for multimedia purposes

BSD instead is better for embended servers cos it delivers an higher security, however serving performance are (kinda) the same as on linux

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! some one who wants to debate for real!!!!!!!!!!! not just those linux/bsd pwns bsd/linux, thanks!!! and the userland can be exactly the same, because bsd and linux both run kde and gnome.... i have fulll multimedia support in bsd, and it works better than the multimedia support in SuSe 10.1... also, the server thing is true, because bsds goal is clean code, more so than linux. thank you for bringing an actual theory, a reasion why, and information to back up your arguement!!!!

max

OK h8tr (you BSD proselytizer :) ), I'm downloading pc-bsd as we speak and will give it a thurough test drive. I'll let you know how I feel about it after I use it enough to make an opinion.

Sounds good, let everyone know how it goes, and if you have ne problems i might be able to help you (probobly)... and yes, i am a bsd supporter, i used to love linux, and had never heard of bsd (im 16, give me a break, iv tried a ton of oss, ex plan 9, beos, hp-ux, os2 warp, various liinux flavors, various windows flavors and betas, and a bunch of other ones) and then i found bsd, its the first one that i use all the time, and love.... just me, but i think that not so many people know about it/understand it, so i support it any way i can.

and i hope that your experience goes well with it! and proselytizer lol, but the strict definition of that word is for religion lol, i had to look that word up to makes sure that i got the def right lol :) but yea, i do push the os alot.... guilty as charged

max

Oh, and ps everyone, thank you for starting to do research and posting valad arguments, keep it up, this was created to be a debate, not a "...PWNS..." thanks!!!

Sounds good, let everyone know how it goes, and if you have ne problems i might be able to help you (probobly)... and yes, i am a bsd supporter, i used to love linux, and had never heard of bsd (im 16, give me a break, iv tried a ton of oss, ex plan 9, beos, hp-ux, os2 warp, various liinux flavors, various windows flavors and betas, and a bunch of other ones) and then i found bsd, its the first one that i use all the time, and love.... just me, but i think that not so many people know about it/understand it, so i support it any way i can.

and i hope that your experience goes well with it! and proselytizer lol, but the strict definition of that word is for religion lol, i had to look that word up to makes sure that i got the def right lol :D but yea, i do push the os alot.... guilty as charged

max

Oh, and ps everyone, thank you for starting to do research and posting valad arguments, keep it up, this was created to be a debate, not a "...PWNS..." thanks!!!

So far PC-BSD is not what I was hoping to be and is lacking IMO. I do like the idea of the .pbi's but Ports and 'pkgsrc' are still better. In the attempt of being user friendly, PC-BSD seems to not offer enough flexability and I do not even want to continue using it, so sorry I can't give it a propper review. My first experience with a unix like os was netBSD and I use BSD ore often than most, so it actually is the lack of the bsd experience in PC-BSD I don't like.

PC-BSD as a distro gets a thumbs down from me but since I have always wanted to try dragonfly bsd and the netBSD spin off 'OpenBSD' and will soon. FreeBSD and OpenDarwin (though now shutting down :) ) are much better OS's imo.

So far PC-BSD is not what I was hoping to be and is lacking IMO. I do like the idea of the .pbi's but Ports and 'pkgsrc' are still better. In the attempt of being user friendly, PC-BSD seems to not offer enough flexability and I do not even want to continue using it, so sorry I can't give it a propper review. My first experience with a unix like os was netBSD and I use BSD ore often than most, so it actually is the lack of the bsd experience in PC-BSD I don't like.

PC-BSD as a distro gets a thumbs down from me but since I have always wanted to try dragonfly bsd and the netBSD spin off 'OpenBSD' and will soon. FreeBSD and OpenDarwin (though now shutting down :) ) are much better OS's imo.

Yea, it supports hte ports thing, but it is a VERY n00bish bsd, it is designed as such, and in your case, that is a very bad thing, same here, im about to switch to firefly probly, sorry that it did not live up to what you were expecting.... and thank you for doing research!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not just trashing one or the other

max

the article just says that every bsd distro has everything done inside its crew w'out taking something here and there.. (that is not so true most of times)even the kernel, but the kernel structure & style is almost the same in every bsd. but then both kernel development and the userland goes differently.

in addition every bsd distro is also called "a fork" of the first bsd... so.. there's a common root isn't it?

the article just says that every bsd distro has everything done inside its crew w'out taking something here and there.. (that is not so true most of times)even the kernel, but the kernel structure & style is almost the same in every bsd. but then both kernel development and the userland goes differently.

in addition every bsd distro is also called "a fork" of the first bsd... so.. there's a common root isn't it?

Yes you are right yet you are wrong, the bsd os is released complete, by one group, kernal and all, and that is not changed, things are just added, with linux, the kernal is released to the public and they do whta ehy want ot it and add everything

max

i never said it's not this way but if you think about it.. a bsd base system most of times..(see freebsd or openbsd) is just a little bit more than a kernel and a bunch of commands. if you want a deamon that is not embended (and usually you want to) you must search the source on your own and pray to make it compile

it's not a flame it's just the way bsd is

i never said it's not this way but if you think about it.. a bsd base system most of times..(see freebsd or openbsd) is just a little bit more than a kernel and a bunch of commands. if you want a deamon that is not embended (and usually you want to) you must search the source on your own and pray to make it compile

it's not a flame it's just the way bsd is

Yea, i understand you, and it can be thought of like that, but the only thing it does not come with is a gui by default, and everything under the gui is the same....

max

i lovebsd over linux however i'm not pleased with all the sun java bs it takes to install!

I wouldnt know, but i dont doubt it, i dont like how u have to install the gui from txt on all bsd s except pc-bsd and desktop bsd...

theres my one complaint for bsd :dev:

max