OSx on a custom desktop rig

darkoo69

53 posts in this topic

Verdant, I don't know why I didn't fully pay attention to your first reply in this thread, I most have been blind at the moment or really tired..

Gonna check out your "nForce chipset MOBO + Intel CPU Snow Leopard Install Guide" in a few days time. Working night time now for a few days 11 hours+ a night so I don't think I will have the energi to follow any guides.

But now that I have partially scanned through your guide I have a few questions about it.

1. You say partition the hdd into two equaly sized partitions, minimum 80gb:

douse it have to be like that or is this a suggestion? if yes than why?

Since [a] each volume will at some point be used to write a clone onto the other volume, you cannot do a block-level clone of a larger volume onto a smaller volume, and [c] either may be your main OS X system, it is sensible to make them equal size.

2.I see lots of 32bit statements(booting into 32bit, etc), is this guide functional 64bit installation or 32bit or is it something in between.. confused.

In order for you to boot OS X into the 64bit kernel, ALL kexts (in /E/E/ and /S/L/E/) need to be fully function in 64bit mode..........initially and for a long time this was not the case with AppleNForceATA.kext.........now we imk's 64bit mode fixed and compiled AppleNforceATA.kext..........so that is why the guide talks most about booting into 32bit mode..........but other than installing only 64bit functional kexts and booting with arch=x86_64 rather than arch=i386 in com.apple.Boot.plist, the guide works for both 32bit and 64bit installations.........

3. "needing/having a working Leopard OS X" should/must I install a working Leo first? if yes, can this be done on a usb drive?

Yes for the reasons given and yes to installing on an external USB drive.....

as you can see this post was made very late, I hope the questions are not lame..

Regards

//noredin

I hope I have answered your questions clearly........ ;)

Cheers

verdant

hello, back now. Have been sleeping for almost 24 hours now hehe, working nights is a b****.

I have tried to install iPC_OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final, and have a successful installation process. But when it reboots after installation I get a message saying "com.apple.boot.plist not found" back and forth back and forth no solution found on the net... after reading so much negativity about IDE cd/dvd-drives I figured I'll buy SATA drive, why not.

As usual one buys always more than planed entering a store. I got a SATA dvd burner and a 500gb SATA HDD.

Plugged in everything running now only SATA parts and reinstalled and the same thing popped as before.. ;)

Any clues? I'm deign here...

hello, back now. Have been sleeping for almost 24 hours now hehe, working nights is a b****.

I have tried to install iPC_OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final, and have a successful installation process. But when it reboots after installation I get a message saying "com.apple.boot.plist not found" back and forth back and forth no solution found on the net... after reading so much negativity about IDE cd/dvd-drives I figured I'll buy SATA drive, why not.

As usual one buys always more than planed entering a store. I got a SATA dvd burner and a 500gb SATA HDD.

Plugged in everything running now only SATA parts and reinstalled and the same thing popped as before.. ;)

Any clues? I'm deign here...

SATA DVDRW and most nForce chipset MOBOs do not work together if OS X needs the AppleNForceATA.kext......but see here.......

Check in your BIOS that you have disabled the JMicron SATA Controller and confirm that in Customize menu of iPC_OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final, that you chose:

iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Base System (installed by default with AppleDecrypt.kext and Disabler.kext)

Language Translations - Optional

iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3

Kernels - 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

Drivers - Video Drivers – None initially

Drivers - Chipset Drivers - AppleNForceATA nForce Drivers

Drivers - Audio Drivers – None initially

Drivers - Ethernet Drivers – None initially

Drivers - USB Drivers - Patched USB Drivers

Fixes and Patches - Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5 (must be installed if Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel is installed)

Fixes and Patches - AppleSMBIOS Patch - AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 Mac Pro

Applications - Optional but all can be selected except Marvin's AMD Utility

I looked everywhere in BIOS but did not find "JMicron SATA Controller"

I'm gonna reboot press f8 on error and try out this "-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048" and see what happens, if that douse not work out I'll reinstall the ide cd/dvd drive.. if that wont either work, I'll reinstall and choose those iPC OSx86 10.5.6 customizing options that you have posted(In my last install I had selected everything you mentioned but also drivers on the ones you have marked "None initially").. be back soon..

ps. Cross your toes and fingers for me pls.. :(

okey, some wierd stuff happend here..

went to check on installation and there was a error saying "installation failed bla bla.. restart". so I restarted... went to get a snack when I came back mac intro clip showing WHAAAT okey... so the computer booted into osx. I started looking around and boom freeze.. Restarted and now it douse not boot into osx. I'm gonna make yet another reinstall hopefully there won't be a "install failed"...

OMG,,, FREEEDOM... for some reason it works now I have successfuly booted into Leo. have to fix the network connection on it now and then audio and video... can I use the osx cd to install the extra drivers from there or do I have to install new versions from this forum?

ps. " for some reason it works now(that reason ofc is verdant.. :)"

Verdant,

You wrote "Good reasons for needing/having a working Leopard OS X installation already on the PC..." in your nForce RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE for Snow Leopard. douse this meen a fully functional Leopard, meaning that I have to get the audio, network and video functioning under Leo before ripping out the "DSDT.aml"?

btw, thx for the help m8!

OMG,,, FREEEDOM... for some reason it works now I have successfuly booted into Leo. have to fix the network connection on it now and then audio and video... can I use the osx cd to install the extra drivers from there or do I have to install new versions from this forum?

Because the Mac OS X Install DVD installer does not recognise the BIOS, it cannot restart the system.........hence, the "installation failed......." message and the need for a manual restart.......... :P

OK for Ethernet networking, run eno's nForceLAN.kext installer from here.........

For your Realtek ALC888S audio chipset/codec, try this installer:ALC888Audio.mpkg.zip

For video, run Dr. Hurt's Chameleon 2.0 RC4 Installer and in com.apple.Boot.plist, include these lines:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

If that alone does not work, then try:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

Only if the above does not work, will we try EFI graphics string, or NVEnabler approaches........

hmm.. installed those and rebooted and loading screen shows a metalic apple logo and after ~ 50 sec load time I get a white square over the logo... trying another reboot will see what happens.. :P

Always boot with -v so that you can see what is happening during the boot process.........

ps. " for some reason it works now(that reason ofc is verdant.. :( "

Verdant,

You wrote "Good reasons for needing/having a working Leopard OS X installation already on the PC..." in your nForce RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE for Snow Leopard. douse this meen a fully functional Leopard, meaning that I have to get the audio, network and video functioning under Leo before ripping out the "DSDT.aml"?

btw, thx for the help m8!

It is very useful to have the Ethernet working and video working with full CI/QE, since it is likely that what works for video in Leopard can be used in Snow Leopard, e.g. EFI graphics string.........

Alright then HUGE progress.. finally in Leopard.. "Hello world!"

So is everything working?...........Ethernet, Video, Audio........elaborate

hmm.. sorry it took me so long to reply.

after installing the chameleon kext and rebooting I remembered that I had to write the lines in com.apple.boot.plist

I did that too and rebooted. then I keep getting the white square icon on loading.. so I did a verbouse boot and read the last lines that got repeated over and over...

waiting for root device...

gonna wright it down and post exactly what it said.. brb

hehe,, I rebooted using -v mode to check the repeating lines and it suddenly booted in to the os.. well well

gonna check audio/mic and video information now..

usb ports work..

graphics information from "About This Mac -> more info"

Display:

Type:	Display
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	32 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0612
 Revision ID:	0x00a2
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1024 x 768
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Core Image:	Software
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Not Supported

the sound douse not seem to work..

hmm.. sorry it took me so long to reply.

after installing the chameleon kext and rebooting I remembered that I had to write the lines in com.apple.boot.plist

I did that too and rebooted. then I keep getting the white square icon on loading.. so I did a verbouse boot and read the last lines that got repeated over and over...

waiting for root device...

gonna wright it down and post exactly what it said.. brb

hehe,, I rebooted using -v mode to check the repeating lines and it suddenly booted in to the os.. well well

gonna check audio/mic and video information now..

usb ports work..

graphics information from "About This Mac -> more info"

Display:

VRAM (Total):	32 MB
  Displays:
Display:
  Resolution:	1024 x 768
  Core Image:	Software
  Quartz Extreme:	Not Supported

the sound douse not seem to work..

Install OSx86Tools and run View PCI Device/Vendor ID...........as I need to see your audio device details..........

installed osx86tools and had to do a restart... and somehow every thing graphicaly felt faster a lot faster so I check about this mac and:

GeForce 9800 GTX:

Chipset Model:	GeForce 9800 GTX
 Slot:	Slot-1
 VRAM (Total):	512 MB
 ROM Revision:	xx.xx.xx - internal
 Displays:
L17-2:
 Resolution:	1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
 Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
 Rotation:	Supported
Display Connector:

the graphics are fully working now.. checked dachboard and dropped new wigdets in the canvas and boom RiPlEeeEee

PCI Device/Vendor IDs:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: nVidia Corporation C55 Host Bridge [10de:03a1] (rev a2)
00:00.1 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03ac] (rev a1)
00:00.2 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03aa] (rev a1)
00:00.3 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03a9] (rev a1)
00:00.4 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03ab] (rev a1)
00:00.5 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03a8] (rev a2)
00:00.6 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03b5] (rev a1)
00:00.7 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03b4] (rev a1)
00:01.0 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03ad] (rev a1)
00:01.1 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03ae] (rev a1)
00:01.2 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03af] (rev a1)
00:01.3 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03b0] (rev a1)
00:01.4 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03b1] (rev a1)
00:01.5 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03b2] (rev a1)
00:01.6 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03b3] (rev a1)
00:02.0 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03b6] (rev a1)
00:02.1 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03bc] (rev a1)
00:02.2 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C55 Memory Controller [10de:03ba] (rev a1)
00:03.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation C55 PCI Express bridge [10de:03b7] (rev a1)
00:09.0 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller [10de:0369] (rev a2)
00:0a.0 ISA bridge [0601]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 LPC Bridge [10de:0360] (rev a3)
00:0a.1 SMBus [0c05]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SMBus [10de:0368] (rev a3)
00:0b.0 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller [10de:036c] (rev a1)
00:0b.1 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller [10de:036d] (rev a2)
00:0d.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 IDE [10de:036e] (rev a1)
00:0e.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller [10de:037f] (rev a3)
00:0e.1 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller [10de:037f] (rev a3)
00:0e.2 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller [10de:037f] (rev a3)
00:0f.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI bridge [10de:0370] (rev a2)
00:0f.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 High Definition Audio [10de:0371] (rev a2)
00:11.0 Bridge [0680]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet [10de:0373] (rev a3)
00:12.0 Bridge [0680]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet [10de:0373] (rev a3)
00:13.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge [10de:0376] (rev a3)
01:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:05b1] (rev a2)
02:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:05b1] (rev a2)
02:02.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:05b1] (rev a2)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9800 GTX [10de:0612] (rev a2)
05:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) [104c:8023]

@ darkoo69 Phew.........I am glad video with CI/QE is working now (what about changing resolutions?)..........you had me worried for a moment.......... ;)

In System Profiler, what do you see under Audio (BuiltIn).......?

hehe sorry about that.. ;) .. yeah resolution changes are available too.. up too 1280x1024 with 75hertz refresh rate.

I'm getting all watery in the mouth thinking about a led screen going with this... got to save up for one.. but for sure gonna get one.. ;)

System Profiler- audio: No Built-in Audio.

hehe sorry about that.. :) .. yeah resolution changes are available too.. up too 1280x1024 with 75hertz refresh rate.

I'm getting all watery in the mouth thinking about a led screen going with this... got to save up for one.. but for sure gonna get one.. ;)

System Profiler- audio: No Built-in Audio.

For Audio try VoodooHDA..........if that does not work then see here........install kexts in /S/L/E/ using Kext Helper b7 and be careful not to have duplicate ALC888 kexts in /S/L/E/............also either VoodooHDA or ALC888 but not both........my turn to sleep now.......... ;)

^^.. thx for all the help, sleep tight!

Thanks! Glad to help........ ;)

Here comes an update,

got the sound working now and the microphone.

the ALC888 did not work so I removed the alcinject.kext and then downloaded verdants link to VoodooHDA.

installing voodooHDA.kext width kext helper b7 and following the rest of the voodooHDA guideline to setup the VoodooHDA.prefPane in the System preferences.

In System Profiler, I still see "No Built-in Audio" under Audio (BuiltIn).

for audio output in "system preferences" only unknown works and for input Mic(there are two of this) selection works and also SPDIF-in works.

I will be trying Ventrilo later see if that works,..

I see that from time to time when doing restarts I get the white square showing on loading. But almost every time I reboot in verbouse the system boots in osx.

@ darkoo69

Periodically use Disk Utility to repair your OS X volume permissions and after any major changes to the Leopard system /System/Library/Extensions, re-create the Leopard /System/Library/Extensions Extensions.mkext by booting with -v -f

hello verdant!

I just made a permissions repair and rebooted with -v -f, but now it seems as the sound laggs in a strange way..

ps. this is what I get from voodoohdaHelper

Last login: Sun Aug 22 20:54:05 on console
c-656ee155:~ administrator$ /Applications/voodoohdahelper; exit;
Found a device of class VoodooHDADevice: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/AZA@F,1/VoodooHDADevice

settings file path: /Users/administrator/Library/Preferences/VoodooHDA.settings
error: couldn't find settings file
error: can't read settings
logout

[Process completed]

hello verdant!

I just made a permissions repair and rebooted with -v -f, but now it seems as the sound laggs in a strange way..

ps. this is what I get from voodoohdaHelper

Last login: Sun Aug 22 20:54:05 on console
c-656ee155:~ administrator$ /Applications/voodoohdahelper; exit;
Found a device of class VoodooHDADevice: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/AZA@F,1/VoodooHDADevice

settings file path: /Users/administrator/Library/Preferences/VoodooHDA.settings
error: couldn't find settings file
error: can't read settings
logout

[Process completed]

The VoodooHDA.settings file is missing from Preferences........check the Voodoo prefPane in System Preferences.....

[solved]Thats the thing when I browse to the location of the file I can find it and when I open it, it show up empty.

it seems that there comes a different "voodooHDA.kext" file in the pref package..

Did a getdump with a file coming from the voodooHDA 0.2.2 release and got the following(was too long so I attached it).

Reading from the file some of the first line found "Realtek ALC888". :D wonder why the ALC888 audio kext didn't work.

Terminal_Saved_Output_voodooHDA_getdump.txt