What kind of stability can i expect.

unicronxxx

1 post in this topic

Hello All,

To start, I am a long time Mac user (about 10 years), and was a PC user even longer before that. Like many mac users, I love the OS. OS9 was great, but once OSX came out, there was no turning back. OSX was the way its all supposed to be. On the hardware side of things. Apple takes some obvious steps towards making sure "things just work". Which leads me to create this post. I am comfortable with Building out a PC. I am comfortable with tackling more advanced methods of installing an OS. I am not scared of the terminal. And I am attempting to build out a mac for a price and with options that Apple just doesn't offer. Here are some of my concerns that I would like to ask the x86 users out there:

What kind of stability should I expect?

-When an OS update comes out, do you have to wait and see how it goes with other users? or do you just freely update without worry? If worry comes with the territory, what are some of the common issues? Upgrade, then all of the sudden you don't have video, and your ethernet connection stop working?

Are there any major "not-working" issues with an x86 machine? I have been doing a lot of research, and i know there are specific hardware choices to make, to ensure compatibility. Are there any well-known obvious issues that a newb should know about right away? Are there certain things that will never work?

How often do you find yourself troubleshooting problems that would not exist on mac hardware?

Anyway, I am sorry if there are a few articles spread throughout the forum like this. I would appreciate the direct feedback though. I feel like i might have additional questions once the conversation starts up. Any help would be great. On paper, this seems like such a great idea. I have to try it. Being that saving money is the first reason for looking into this, I would hate to waist the money on a machine that just doesn't work right...

Thanks in advanced.

Johnathon