Dell XPS 410, SL install info needed.

toner_

38 posts in this topic

New to the forum here, would love to get a system working here, just don't really know where to start since there are too many tutorials and none are specific on what will work with my system and bios settings for my system.

Whenever I try and search, no matter what I type in I get some "flood control" error? ok?!?!

Anyways. I have backed up my system and I am ready to do this.

I have win7 x64 already installed and have a fresh separate HDD for OSX AND I have the retail 10.6 DVD. I am running a dell XPS 410 with an upgraded Q6600 quad 2.4 processor and 4GB ram.

How should I approach this?

New to the forum here, would love to get a system working here, just don't really know where to start since there are too many tutorials and none are specific on what will work with my system and bios settings for my system.

Whenever I try and search, no matter what I type in I get some "flood control" error? ok?!?!

Anyways. I have backed up my system and I am ready to do this.

I have win7 x64 already installed and have a fresh separate HDD for OSX AND I have the retail 10.6 DVD. I am running a dell XPS 410 with an upgraded Q6600 quad 2.4 processor and 4GB ram.

How should I approach this?

try this boot cd with retial dvd

list other hardware

http://www.mediafire.com/?bg0iu5c23quiz9w

I have downloaded your boot disc and burned it.

Hardware specs From Speccy:

-Operating System

MS Windows 7 64-bit

-CPU

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 34 °C

Kentsfield 65nm Technology

-RAM

4.0GB DDR2

-Motherboard

Dell Inc. 0CT017 (Microprocessor)

Manufacturer Dell Inc.

Model 0CT017

Chipset Vendor Intel

Chipset Model P965/G965

Chipset Revision C2

Southbridge Vendor Intel

Southbridge Model 82801HH (ICH8DH)

Southbridge Revision B0

-Graphics

FPD2275W @ 1680x1050

256MB GeForce 8600 GT (nVidia) 54 °C

-Hard Drives

156GB Seagate ST3160023AS (SATA) 38 °C

488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AADS-00S9B0 (SCSI) 31 °C

488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-22A7B0 (SCSI) 33 °C

-Optical Drives

ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A

-Audio

High Definition Audio Device

-Network

Intel® 82566DC Gigabit Network Co

Booted with the boot disc, insert osx dvd, waited a few mins, pressed f5, then enter and got a panic message:

"Version mis-match between kernel and CPU PM"

Also, I am unplugging all my other hard drives when trying/installing osx to limit things getting messed up, so once it's done, I can choose how I want my boot options.

Thanks for your help so far by the way, I appreciate it!

Once this is done we can have an official XPS 410 tutorial since I can't find anything on it and they should all be the same hardware except for maybe a processor and video card.

I've gotten that boot disc to recognize the OSX DVD 2 times out of about 30 attempts. I eject the boot disc and insert the OSX DVD then "wait a bit" as it says (I've waited until the lights on the drive stop flashing, I've even left it for 10 minutes). I then press F5, nothing happens, let it sit, 10 mins later, nothing, if I press F5 or F10 (scan all bios optical drives) again after I have already pressed it once, I get a memory allocation error and have to restart the computer as the whole boot loader freezes up.

I've gotten this boot disc to work twice. Pretty frustrating but I am determined to get 10.6 up and running here!

I've gotten that boot disc to recognize the OSX DVD 2 times out of about 30 attempts. I eject the boot disc and insert the OSX DVD then "wait a bit" as it says (I've waited until the lights on the drive stop flashing, I've even left it for 10 minutes). I then press F5, nothing happens, let it sit, 10 mins later, nothing, if I press F5 or F10 (scan all bios optical drives) again after I have already pressed it once, I get a memory allocation error and have to restart the computer as the whole boot loader freezes up.

I've gotten this boot disc to work twice. Pretty frustrating but I am determined to get 10.6 up and running here!

Hey, I'm in the same boat you are—I'd like to get this going on an XPS 8100 or Inspiron 580 but can't find any guide. Let me know how this goes! I'd like to help any way I can, though I'm admittedly pretty hopeless so far.

idont understand what is your problem now please

boot in verbose mode

-v

and take picture :)

The boot disc is not recognizing my official osx DVD. I have tried this about 30 times and it has only worked 2 times, I know I'm not retarted here, hehheh. I eject the boot disc, put in my osx disc, press f5, nothing happens, even if I let it sit, press f5 again to rescan and I get a "memory allocation error" and have to restart. I know how to boot into verbose mode ONCE it recognizes the OSX dvd, so do I just keep doing this and restarting and trying again until it finally works again?

Is there a better boot disc that ACTUALLY works and recognizes the osx dvd more than 6.6% of the time? :)

Again, thanks for helping out!

The boot disc is not recognizing my official osx DVD. I have tried this about 30 times and it has only worked 2 times, I know I'm not retarted here, hehheh. I eject the boot disc, put in my osx disc, press f5, nothing happens, even if I let it sit, press f5 again to rescan and I get a "memory allocation error" and have to restart. I know how to boot into verbose mode ONCE it recognizes the OSX dvd, so do I just keep doing this and restarting and trying again until it finally works again?

Is there a better boot disc that ACTUALLY works and recognizes the osx dvd more than 6.6% of the time? :)

Again, thanks for helping out!

nearly i dvd lens is bad that cant read retail dvd try anther dvd drive or brun retail dvd again if dvd drive is full working

nearly i dvd lens is bad that cant read retail dvd try anther dvd drive or brun retail dvd again if dvd drive is full working

nothing is burned, I bought it. Windows w/ macdrive shows it fine. Maybe the bootdisc is bad or somewhat corrupted. I'll D/L the boot disc again and report back with a screen shot.

The boot disc does NOT work properly with only a fresh formatted HDD as GUID. When I just left all my hard drives hooked up, I loaded the boot disc, swapped for my osx disc, pressed f5 and BAM it loaded it. I was still getting errors, here is the screenshot of when I booted it in verbose mode.

post-652066-1281520376_thumb.jpg

Using the new boot disc you provided:

The first pic is when I tried booting the osx dvd with just -v

The second pic is when I tried booting with rd(0,0)/extra/legacy_kernel busratio=16 -v

Seems like they both get to a certain point and every minute or so the line "waiting for root device" keeps poping up.

post-652066-1281521013_thumb.jpg

post-652066-1281521022_thumb.jpg

Using the new boot disc you provided:

The first pic is when I tried booting the osx dvd with just -v

The second pic is when I tried booting with rd(0,0)/extra/legacy_kernel busratio=16 -v

Seems like they both get to a certain point and every minute or so the line "waiting for root device" keeps poping up.

trun your sata setting to achi

and use

-v only during boot

I think it's on by system default/bios. There are no specific settings for it, but when the system is turned on it says ACHI bios etc. And if you enter the "configuration utility press ctrl+i" in the 1st pic, it just loads the windows boot screen where you can select windows 7 or memory diagnostic.

post-652066-1281520921_thumb.jpg

post-652066-1281520928_thumb.jpg

post-652066-1281520937_thumb.jpg

I think it's on by system default/bios. There are no specific settings for it, but when the system is turned on it says ACHI bios etc. And if you enter the "configuration utility press ctrl+i" in the 3rd pic, it just loads the windows boot screen where you can select windows 7 or memory diagnostic.

this is raid

trun it off

there are option

that have two options IDE and ACHI

For anyone using an XPS and will be following this thread in the future, please note:

The Dell XPS 410 comes default with the raid bios on, changing this to autodetect/ata will cause your current windows installation to not load properly (blue screen) like if you put your hdd in a different computer. There is a workaround to change this WITHOUT having to reinstall windows.

This is the article from microsoft. Written for XP, it worked on my Win7 x64 install. It's not as complicated as it looks.

First, make sure the Atapi.sys, Intelide.sys, Pciide.sys, and Pciidex.sys files are in the System32\Drivers folder, then make the registry file how the article says. CREATE A RESTORE POINT just in case. I just saved the reg file I made to my desktop, double clicked it, added it to the registry, restarted, opened the bios and changed the raid from on to the "autodetect/ata" setting (the only other setting), saved and restarted.

Once my win7 x64 loaded up, it installed new drivers for the hdd controllers (see pic) and everything was working perfectly.

------------------------------------------

Now, back to instructions here. I switched the raid off like you advised, booted in verbose mode -v and took a screenshot, then booted with the rd(0,0)/extra/legacy_kernel busratio=16 -v and took a screenshot. Both screen shots seem to be the same as when I had the raid on and tried both of the above boot options.

What do you advise next?

To see all my available bios settings/options, here is the link to the documentation on my system. Click the 4th item on the list "system setup options."

post-652066-1281519954_thumb.png

post-652066-1281519969_thumb.jpg

post-652066-1281519979_thumb.jpg

For anyone using an XPS and will be following this thread in the future, please note:

The Dell XPS 410 comes default with the raid bios on, changing this to autodetect/ata will cause your current windows installation to not load properly (blue screen) like if you put your hdd in a different computer. There is a workaround to change this WITHOUT having to reinstall windows.

This is the article from microsoft. Written for XP, it worked on my Win7 x64 install. It's not as complicated as it looks.

First, make sure the Atapi.sys, Intelide.sys, Pciide.sys, and Pciidex.sys files are in the System32\Drivers folder, then make the registry file how the article says. CREATE A RESTORE POINT just in case. I just saved the reg file I made to my desktop, double clicked it, added it to the registry, restarted, opened the bios and changed the raid from on to the "autodetect/ata" setting (the only other setting), saved and restarted.

Once my win7 x64 loaded up, it installed new drivers for the hdd controllers (see pic) and everything was working perfectly.

------------------------------------------

Now, back to instructions here. I switched the raid off like you advised, booted in verbose mode -v and took a screenshot, then booted with the rd(0,0)/extra/legacy_kernel busratio=16 -v and took a screenshot. Both screen shots seem to be the same as when I had the raid on and tried both of the above boot options.

What do you advise next?

To see all my available bios settings/options, here is the link to the documentation on my system. Click the 4th item on the list "system setup options."

you dvd is sata or IDE