[WORKING] ATI Radeon HD 4670 (10.6.4)

jsfullr

74 posts in this topic

What version from the boot file originaly is? Chameleon or PC_EFI?

I'm sorry, still newbie...

Its PC_EFI 10.6 which uses chameleon rc3. I recently made a similar fix to a boot file with Aserebin 1.1.9 boot file (because that boot file had the restart fix in it). Happy to upload that if you want it.

Hi all,

Now that 10.6.5 is out with the new ATI video drivers. Is the framebuffer "flicker" still working with the updated 10.6.5 kext?

BTW, "flicker" works with my EAH4650 (DVI only). If I want to use the VGA only, I use motmot.

THanks!

Flicker works great for DVI on my ASUS Radeon 4670 512 MB. I had no luck with Peregrine nor Shrike.

I am using Chameleon RC5. I noticed ati.c had duplicate entries for the ATI Radeon 4670 showing up as ATI Radeon 4600 Series, so I deleted them.

edit: spoke too soon. The cursor stutters a bit under Flicker.

Hi...sorry for my bad english,,,:-(

hem.. y video card is Radeon 4650 HD..

follows your description..not run..help me??? :)

ATI Radeon 4650 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon 4650 Series

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9498

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Display Connector:

Thanks!!

Worked for me, too.

I'm on a Sapphire 4670 GDDR4 512MB.

Edited the com.apple.boot.plist with:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-pci1 GraphicsEnabler=yes arch=x86_64</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>0</string>

and copied the boot file to /

Then I ran fix permissions (pfix) and rebooted.

I'm now on DVI (not on HDMI) on the Saphhire and HDMI input in my 24'' monitor. Resolution correctly detected as 1900x1200.

The HDMI output on the Sapphire still gives me a blank (blue) screen upon entering Snow Leopard.

Great work.

Even Netkas doesn't have this solution.

follows your description..not run..help me???

ATI Radeon 4650 Series:

Displays:

Display:

Display Connector: :P

Make sure GraphicsEnabler=Yes. No other kexts but you must be on 10.6.4 and you must be using the default ATI kexts, (if you've tampered with any of the ATI kexts in anyway you need to restore those back to stock 10.6.4). I can confirm that this works on both the sapphire, and diamond cards. Also The diamond card (the one with dual dvi ports) only one of the dvi ports works so try both.

If your still not getting it to work your card may require a different frame buffer, I would try this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214428

follows your description..not run..help me???

ATI Radeon 4650 Series:

Displays:

Display:

Display Connector:

luciuxx63, the Radeon 4650 did not ship in a Mac so it will not work without editing the kexts used for the Radeon 4670. You need to add its device ID (9498) using the Property List Editor or a text editor. Kexts you need to change are ATI4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext.

<br />Its PC_EFI 10.6 which uses chameleon rc3. I recently made a similar fix to a boot file with Aserebin 1.1.9 boot file (because that boot file had the restart fix in it). Happy to upload that if you want it.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes...im very happy if you could upload that new boot file...i will try it..because boot file in post #1 did not work for me

Finally was able to get my Radeon HD 4670 card to work on 10.6.4 stock kexts. DVI output it working great. Turns out all I needed to do was to set the frame buffer to Flicker. I've attached the modified boot file for anyone else in my situation. Hope it helps.

PCEFI_10.6_Flicker_Boot_File.zip

Hello, thanks!

Got over to my buddies to update from SL10.6.2 (that was the latest at the time) and simply used your file on SL10.6.5

Diamond HD4670 working on VGA, DVI untested, HDMI untested (finally smooth video 1080p mkv)

No, kext's needed

Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L

Is there any solution for those of us that flashed PC 4870's for use in our elderly MacPro1,1's? I'm stuck on 10.6.4 with 10.6.2 kexts for the time being, just to get dual dvi working properly, which means that I'm missing out on a lot of improved graphics in various games.

Hello guys

I dont have any video signal with OP bootfile or chamaleon bootfile posted in page 2. After change the bootfile I can have for the first time the first boot music but no image (still "blank" screen). Until then, I could not boot the system without the boot file (always kernel panic), so I`m trying to change the boot file via windows. My card is a sapphire dual DVI. Tried both DVI ports. Help guys! Using Iatkos S3 V2 10.6.3. Thanks :)

Hello guys

I dont have any video signal with OP bootfile or chamaleon bootfile posted in page 2. After change the bootfile I can have for the first time the first boot music but no image (still "blank" screen). Until then, I could not boot the system without the boot file (always kernel panic), so I`m trying to change the boot file via windows. My card is a sapphire dual DVI. Tried both DVI ports. Help guys! Using Iatkos S3 V2 10.6.3. Thanks :)

I dont know your system, can you give us a rundown on card model, etc.

<br /><br /><br />

Yes...im very happy if you could upload that new boot file...i will try it..because boot file in post #1 did not work for me

See my post on page 3, post #51

• 5 weeks later...

Hello and merry Christmas,

I recently installed OS X 10.6 10A432 on my Computer with GA-EP43-DS3.

But I have to boot it with EmpireEFI CD and -v -x. If I only use -v there graphic card doesn't work.

Now I want to install the driver for my Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 with 512 MB DDR3 but I won't to the wrong.

Device ID: 0x9490

Information about Kernel-Extension: No Kext loaded

Monitors:

Monitor:

And if necessary I will install a bootloader to boot without CD.

Greetings all,

After some time I finally have OS X 10.6.5 running solidly on my system. I know some people are having trouble with the Sapphire cards (and I was one of them), but I can attest that the boot file from post #21 does work.

I did a manual install of chameleon (C2RC5r678_Trunk668.zip) to my efi partition, swapped the boot file and ran pfix. Mind you, I had to run pfix on my OSX install partition and then move the files to my efi partition.

I new my graphics card should work, as it worked in VESA mode using the nawcom bootcd. On my system, nothing. But the system was up an running and I could use screen sharing to modify the system. My problem was a GraphicsMode tag in boot.plist. Removing it fixed the problem of my black screen and now everything works great, including QE/CI.

Here is my boot.plist and it didn't matter if I had a separate key for GraphicsEnabler or had it as a kernel flag.

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,2)</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

So in brief, what I did to get my Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 1GB DDR3 working was:

Manual install of latest 2.0 RC5 that I could find

Add GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot.plist

Remove GraphicsMode from boot.plist

Connected card using VGA2VGA

DVI2DVI doesn't appear to work, but it could be related to me having both my VGA and DVI output plugged into the same monitor. I haven't tested HDMI, but I can try it later when I test DVI2DVI or DVI2VGA later tonight.

And a lesson I learned, if you want to save yourself some harddrive swapping, it pays to enable Screen Sharing as soon as possible. Even if you don't have another mac, most VNC clients should allow you to connect to your mac and accomplish most tasks.

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings all,

After some time I finally have OS X 10.6.5 running solidly on my system. I know some people are having trouble with the Sapphire cards (and I was one of them), but I can attest that the boot file from post #21 does work.

I did a manual install of chameleon (C2RC5r678_Trunk668.zip) to my efi partition, swapped the boot file and ran pfix. Mind you, I had to run pfix on my OSX install partition and then move the files to my efi partition.

I new my graphics card should work, as it worked in VESA mode using the nawcom bootcd. On my system, nothing. But the system was up an running and I could use screen sharing to modify the system. My problem was a GraphicsMode tag in boot.plist. Removing it fixed the problem of my black screen and now everything works great, including QE/CI.

Here is my boot.plist and it didn't matter if I had a separate key for GraphicsEnabler or had it as a kernel flag.

<key>Default Partition</key>
	<string>hd(0,2)</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>5</string>

So in brief, what I did to get my Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 1GB DDR3 working was:

Manual install of latest 2.0 RC5 that I could find

Add GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot.plist

Remove GraphicsMode from boot.plist

Connected card using VGA2VGA

DVI2DVI doesn't appear to work, but it could be related to me having both my VGA and DVI output plugged into the same monitor. I haven't tested HDMI, but I can try it later when I test DVI2DVI or DVI2VGA later tonight.

And a lesson I learned, if you want to save yourself some harddrive swapping, it pays to enable Screen Sharing as soon as possible. Even if you don't have another mac, most VNC clients should allow you to connect to your mac and accomplish most tasks.

thank you so much, i finally have my system running after following your instructions, though i did things a little different

since i dont have access to a real mac atm, i had to use macdrive in windows to replace the boot file and notepad2 to edit the boot.plist

but i finally have my system running

Distro: iAtkos S3

mobo: MSI P43 Neo-F

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 2.4ghz

RAM: 3GB ddr2 800mhz

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 1GB DDR3

Screens

32a97c.png

75c93d.png

even though it says core2solo and shows 1 core in system profiler both my cores are working

thanks for your help

imac8_1.01.10.11.xbench.zip

• 3 months later...

I have SAPPHIRE HD 4670 ULTIMATE Edition (passive) and retail Snow Leopard 10.6.7. (regular update). I got the card running but whichever 'boot' I tried there was always flickering or no (DVI) display at all!

I came to idea that it must be the problem that Mac retail ATI driver doesn't how to switch seamlessly between different working card speeds.

I have flashed my card (with http://www.techpowerup.com/rbe/) so that every single 'Clock info' group of parameters has the same memory clock speed (in my case 873MHz).

That worked flawlessly with me!

Thanx to everyone else's valuable input!