iOS 4 Battery Problems

Neilis

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys - just looking for suggestions here. I've got an iPod Touch 2nd Gen. About a week ago I decided to upgrade it up to iOS 4. Just like my original upgrade to 3, it wasn't a smooth process. After the regular update screwed up my device (failed and it would only come back up in restore mode), I had to do a complete restore on it. Not sure why both have failed - it's stock setup. No jailbreaks or anything.

Anyways, after a restore I have my iPod up and going again, but the battery is draining FAST now. Used to be that if I left it on the home screen without playing music or the like it would go for days at a time with the battery just fine. I picked it up yesterday (Monday) morning, having charged it up Friday evening and having not used it, and the battery was down near 15%. Used it yesterday, but charged it back to full again, and when I pick it up this morning it's drained down to about 60-70% overnight just sitting there.

I know some people have said that the new multitasking features are doing this, but AFAIK the iTouch 2nd gen doesn't even support those features. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

I have the same problem on my iPhone 3G. The iOS4 drains my battery very quickly (~30h) even if my iP lays on my desk. Before update it was ~4 days.

I've enabled multitasking through redsnow, but I think it shouldn't be a reason of this problem. I also heard that more, jailbroken and non-JB iPhones has this same problem.

So battery problems doesn't only concern iPods.

• 2 months later...
be sure to close the background apps when you want to put your phone in stand-up mode!!!thwack.gif

the 2nd Gen iTouch does not support the background apps.

Hey guys - just looking for suggestions here. I've got an iPod Touch 2nd Gen. About a week ago I decided to upgrade it up to iOS 4. Just like my original upgrade to 3, it wasn't a smooth process. After the regular update screwed up my device (failed and it would only come back up in restore mode), I had to do a complete restore on it. Not sure why both have failed - it's stock setup. No jailbreaks or anything.

Anyways, after a restore I have my iPod up and going again, but the battery is draining FAST now. Used to be that if I left it on the home screen without playing music or the like it would go for days at a time with the battery just fine. I picked it up yesterday (Monday) morning, having charged it up Friday evening and having not used it, and the battery was down near 15%. Used it yesterday, but charged it back to full again, and when I pick it up this morning it's drained down to about 60-70% overnight just sitting there.

I know some people have said that the new multitasking features are doing this, but AFAIK the iTouch 2nd gen doesn't even support those features. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

I have the same issue with you on this 2nd Gen iTouch, maybe we should turn-off the wifi when it sleep.

• 3 weeks later...
I've enabled multitasking through redsnow, but I think it shouldn't be a reason of this problem. I also heard that more, jailbroken and non-JB iPhones has this same problem.

Well I had that same problem with my iPhone. Multitasking enabled via redsnow and it was laggy and drained my iPhones battery like crazy. Did the restore process again without the multitasking enabled, again the battery life was back to normal. Go figure. My friend had some problems too, just in his case he had insomnia installed...