Why should I use OSx86?

Brandon L. Deriso

6 posts in this topic

Hi there everyone!

So after a cursory forum & google search I wasn't able to find any topics posing this question:

What are the benefits to using OSx86 over Linux or even Windoze? That is, besides the 'cool' factor :rolleyes:

Now, I run both Ubuntu Linux & Windows, so I can pretty much accomplish whatever I need (I'm an Audio Engineer by trade & hobby), so I'm curious if there are things can I accomplish using OSx86 on my machine that I can't with my other operating systems?

I'm new to the forum so Hi to everyone & thanks in advance for any replies :D

Hi there everyone!

So after a cursory forum & google search I wasn't able to find any topics posing this question:

What are the benefits to using OSx86 over Linux or even Windoze? That is, besides the 'cool' factor :rolleyes:

Now, I run both Ubuntu Linux & Windows, so I can pretty much accomplish whatever I need (I'm an Audio Engineer by trade & hobby), so I'm curious if there are things can I accomplish using OSx86 on my machine that I can't with my other operating systems?

I'm new to the forum so Hi to everyone & thanks in advance for any replies :D

Start by comparing capabilities of audio software for OS X in terms of:

Apple LogicStudio

Amadeus Pro

Sound Studio

Audio Hijack Pro

for example, with what you can currently do in Linux or Windows............

Thanks for the replies! That's about what I expected.

My girlfriend just bought herself a shiny new iMac, so I am spending some time on it & getting used to the interface and such, although I'm having just as much fun installing and configuring Ubuntu Linux on her old laptop.

I think the hardware of the iMac might be what is really alluring to me though. Warcraft and my audio DAWs sure do look nice on the 21" screen... and the 4gigs of RAM certainly boost their performance :(

Alessandro17, having tried all the flavors on the PC, would you say OSx86 is your favorite?

Thanks for the replies! That's about what I expected.

My girlfriend just bought herself a shiny new iMac, so I am spending some time on it & getting used to the interface and such, although I'm having just as much fun installing and configuring Ubuntu Linux on her old laptop.

I think the hardware of the iMac might be what is really alluring to me though. Warcraft and my audio DAWs sure do look nice on the 21" screen... and the 4gigs of RAM certainly boost their performance :(

Alessandro17, having tried all the flavors on the PC, would you say OSx86 is your favorite?

I use OS X on "real" Macs and my "HackMac" PC, as well as Linux and Windows.........my favourite OS is OS X simply because it is so "polished" in terms of whatever you are doing with it............whether it is installing/uninstalling apps, system software updating, using the Unix command line, or using apps for work and play..........I use

Amadeus Pro

Sound Studio

Audio Hijack Pro

Audiocorder

iTunes-LAME

for my OS X audio projects............. :o

It is, as an OS. But I end up using Windows 7 more, as nothing beats Windows for the sheer number of applications.

Of course there is Parallels, but it is still far from running applications as they run on Windows installed on a real HD.