Snow Leopard Installation Problem

Jadar

43 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm wondering if you can help me out here.

My hardware is this:

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR

Intel Core2Duo E7500 @ 2.93Ghz

2GB Kingston DDR3 RAM

ATI Radeon 4550 PCI-E

2 500GB Drives

Netgear WN311B Wifi Adapter

IDE CD-ROM Drive

Leopard BOOT-132 CD

My problem is that I can't boot into my new installation of snow Leopard with Chameleon 2 RC4 on the EFI partition. Every time I get the dreaded "Still Waiting for root device" message. I've tried almost everything. I've booted with rd=disk0sX, -v, -legacy, -x32, nothing works! But I have found that the UUID of the partition is found used (unless I type rd=disk0sX at boot), but I get the same message.

These are the guides I've used to install Leopard and Snow Leopard:

UD3LR Guide

Snow Guide 1

Snow Guide 2

First I used the UD3LR guide to install Leopard, then I used the Snow Guide 1 to install Snow Leopard. Snow Guide 2 I came across and got their download pack for the kexts in it. I know I skipped setting the CSMOS/BIOS settings in Snow Guide 1 cause I didn't know what they did and didn't know if Windows would still be compatible with the board's settings. Every time I use Chameleon to boot it corrupts the CSMOS (image 1 in the attachments) and the post fails, then I can choose where to restore the CSMOS back to good settings.

The kexts I'm using have all been made for Snow Leopard, but here they are:

AppleHDA.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

AppleRTC.kext

RealtekR1000SL.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

disabler.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

fakesmc.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

(i will upload them if would like to see them.)

I would really appreciate some help.

-Computer Geek

post-525540-1280752894_thumb.jpg

first off, to fix the reset CMOS error, you need to install the elliotforcelegacyRTC.kext (google it) and rebuild the cache or boot with -f to reload all kexts, ignoring the cache

also, make sure that your HDD is plugged into the first SATA port on your MB, then try unplugging all unneeded drives and booting with just the HDD and chameleon (especially no IDE, known to cause more problems)

Thanks for the quick reply.

I got the elliotforcelegacyRTC kext, but does it only allow 32-bit? The drive is plugged into the 2nd SATA port so I will change that. And the IDE is just the CD-ROM drive.

i think the kext can do 64 bit, not sure though

try plugging in just the one HDD to the first SATA and disconnect the DVD drive if you don't need it for install

Thanks for the quick reply.

I got the elliotforcelegacyRTC kext, but does it only allow 32-bit? The drive is plugged into the 2nd SATA port so I will change that. And the IDE is just the CD-ROM drive.

Simply patch your DSDT.aml file's Device (RTC) section, by changing ? in "// Length Change 0x0?", if not already 2, to 2.....e.g. // Length Change 0x04 to // Length Change 0x02 etc.......as this patch works in 32 and 64 bit mode........

What exactly does that do?

It fixes the CMOS BIOS reset issue permanently...........in a cleaner way than elliotforcelegacyRTC kext

@Gringo: I think I already have that.

@verdant: do I patch this part?

Device (RTC)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
				Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()
				{
					IO (Decode16,
						0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						0x00,			   // Alignment
						0x04,			   // Length
						)

@Gringo: I think I already have that.

@verdant: do I patch this part?

Device (RTC)
			   {
				   {
					   IO (Decode16,
						   0x0070,			 // Range Minimum
						   0x0070,			 // Range Maximum
						   0x00,			   // Alignment
						   0x04,			   // Length
						   )

Do you have a Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate () section too? If so, then as follows:

Device (RTC)

{

{

IO (Decode16,

0x0070, // Range Minimum

0x0070, // Range Maximum

0x00, // Alignment

0x02, // Length

)

})

Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IO (Decode16,

0x0070, // Range Minimum

0x0070, // Range Maximum

0x00, // Alignment

0x02, // Length

)

Thanks! And yes, I do have that, but I'm kinda new to DSDT so I don't know much.

EDIT: I went to save the DSDT but my editor didn't seem to be able to save to .aml files. Does .dsl files work too?

Thanks! And yes, I do have that, but I'm kinda new to DSDT so I don't know much.

EDIT: I went to save the DSDT but my editor didn't seem to be able to save to .aml files. Does .dsl files work too?

Upload your dsdt.dsl file and I will look at for you.........

Ok, here it is!

http://rapidshare.com/files/410613805/dsdt.dsl

(insanelymac wouldnt let .dsl)

All sorted....... :P

Compter_Geek_Fixed_DSDT.zip

I think I figured out how to get past the "Still waiting for root device." Just simply change sata to AHCI mode. I dont know what that means but It got the boot device. now im looking at a kernel panic from AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. I have both Disabler, and NullCPUPowerManagement. I Have no clue on to whats going here.

I think I figured out how to get past the "Still waiting for root device." Just simply change sata to AHCI mode. I dont know what that means but It got the boot device. now im looking at a kernel panic from AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. I have both Disabler, and NullCPUPowerManagement. I Have no clue on to whats going here.

You should have in /Extra/Extensions/:

EITHER fakesmc.kext (v1 or v2) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (preferred option)

OR netkas' Snow Leopard dsmos.kext and Kabyl's Leopard Disabler.kext (only if preferred option results in kernel panics)

NOT both or a mix of both...........

Oh yes, I'm using the EFI Partition to boot. So will that still work?

It should do............I assume you have seen the Munky EFI thread...........and here...........

Ok, now i'm getting a kernel panic from DSMOS, it says, "Wating for DSMOS, then says "DSMOS returned" then panics. :rolleyes:

Yes, I've just got to get the right combination of kexts.

Ok, now i'm getting a kernel panic from DSMOS, it says, "Wating for DSMOS, then says "DSMOS returned" then panics. :rolleyes:

Yes, I've just got to get the right combination of kexts.

Any progress?

Well... I'm tried using both options you gavr me but the kernel panics on an ATI related thing, maybe disable it with Disabler? (i'm going to delete the ATI things later anyways.)

Well... I'm tried using both options you gavr me but the kernel panics on an ATI related thing, maybe disable it with Disabler? (i'm going to delete the ATI things later anyways.)

Try the following:

Boot with -s and wait for the prompt ":/ root#" to appear, type each of the following lines, followed by pressing Enter and then wait for ":/ root#" to re-appear.....after typing exit booting should continue....

mount -uw /
cd /System/Library/Extensions/
rm -rf ATI*.kext
exit