Sleep freezes my laptop

Master_T

17 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

I'm running Snow Leo 10.6.3 (iAKTOS s3) on an eMachines e720 laptop, of which you can see the specs on the screens below:

1008020001.png

1008020002.png

My problem is: when I try to put it to sleep, the screen (and the whole computer) just freezes, and I have to hard-reset. Not only that, if I have any NTFS partition mounted, it screws it up too!

I tried sleep enabler, but nothing seems to change.

May this be caused by the fact that I have a Intel serie 4 graphic chip? (the imfamous "GMA4500")? I know these cards don't have hardware acceleration, maybe they can't go to sleep either? If that's the problem, is there a way to get around it? (I'm using deviato's bootloader method to get native resolution btw)

And if it's not a gfx-card related problem, do any of you have any idea??

Thanks in advance for any response!

Can you put your screen to sleep with Exposé corner?

The screen "freezes", but it doesn't shut-down/go black/whatever is supposed to do. If I move the mouse, it un-freezes correctly tho, it doesn't freeze or crash the whole computer.

Take the modified X3100 FB kext (only this Kext, delete the AppleIntelX3100.kext), you should get then ability to sleep the display.

Mmmm, ok, but will this help putting to sleep the whole computer?

And should I install sleepEnabler or not?

It should be 2a42 (last entry in the screenshot)

Anyway, after a couple of reboots it seems it recognized the kext, the screen sleeps correctly. BUT the mouse pointer stopped working (the mouse itself works, but the pointer is stuck in the upper left corner, which makes the system basically unusable). I read that the kext in question is meant to solve a mouse pointer issue, which is why it's failing probably, my mouse worked correctly before.

Can anyone link me the CORRECT kext?

PS: The screen sleeps correctly but the rest of the computer freezes when going to sleep, so the problem must be deeper.... what's the next thing to check? (after I solve the mouse problem of course :()

Ok, I solved the pointer problem by installing a different kext I found in the 4500 thread. Now pointer works, but still the system won't go to sleep.... what's the next step?

PS: I still don't have sleepenabler installed, should I install it now?

I have the same problem in my laptop. I think it´s the hard drive, because happens the same thing if I don´t disable the "Sleep the hard drive" (or something like that) in "Preferences" and I let open the lid a very long time.

If somebody cans help to us I´ll be very grateful.

(Sorry for my bad english).

Best regards.

• 2 weeks later...
No one has any further ideas?? :(

I hoped after successfully getting the display to sleep it would've been easy... is there at least a way I can record what goes on during sleep so to have a log to see what goes wrong and where?

I dont know about logs ...maybe you can try booting the system with verbose flag and attempt to sleep then reboot the system normally and check the verbose log in Console. Logging does work, check system.log and kernel.log in console with verbose boot during sleep test and search for sleep in console

I have the same problem but i have seen people with GMA x4500 with proposed sleep working, and as for my configuration i am using Devianto's patched chameleon for native resolution only, no quartzGL since i dont know what it does exactly and i know its not the full QE/CI for sure

Also ill try to remove the kext mentioned above and see if ill get something working.

----------------

Update One : I Removed the VoodooPowerMini.kext [using native power management] , SleepEnabler.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100.Kext and the native AppleIntelGMAx3100FB.Kext while leaving the patched installed, Screen did sleep but hard disk remained spinning,which before screen would remain on but hard disk would not spin ....also i could not wake system from the so called "sleep" via the power button

--------

Log : Aug 17 15:45:02 Gavin-Grimoires-MacBook-Pro configd[55]: Sleep: Success - AC 42 - Software Sleep [ dont know how did this ]

Aug 17 16:15:21 Gavin-Grimoires-MacBook-Pro configd[57]: Sleep: Success - AC 84 - Software Sleep [ about the time of removed kexts ]

Aug 17 16:15:33 Gavin-Grimoires-MacBook-Pro configd[57]: Sleep: Success - AC 84 - Software Sleep [ about the time of removed kexts ]

Sorry but it didn't allow me to post elsewhere :)

I recently installed using iATKOS S3. It installed perfectly.

Problem is that after launching the desktop and dock. It hangs after 1 minute approximately. During this, I can open any program. It works just fine, but hangs after one minute.

My Bios is an old one probably and

IT DOESN'T HAVE FOLLOWING OPTIONS

1) AHCI option

2) USE SINGLE Processor option

3) CPU Thermal Control

and I suspect that these might be the problem. Any help would be much appreciated

--------------------

Board: MSI - 7507

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 2GHz (supports SSE2,3 etc etc) NO hyper threading

RAM: 2GB

GFX: nVidia 9400 GT

--------------------

Sorry but it didn't allow me to post elsewhere :)

I recently installed using iATKOS S3. It installed perfectly.

Problem is that after launching the desktop and dock. It hangs after 1 minute approximately. During this, I can open any program. It works just fine, but hangs after one minute.

My Bios is an old one probably and

IT DOESN'T HAVE FOLLOWING OPTIONS

1) AHCI option

2) USE SINGLE Processor option

3) CPU Thermal Control

and I suspect that these might be the problem. Any help would be much appreciated

--------------------

Board: MSI - 7507

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 2GHz (supports SSE2,3 etc etc) NO hyper threading

RAM: 2GB

GFX: nVidia 9400 GT

--------------------

Bahh dont worry i know how you feel ...am a new member here too >.<

ACHI is a requirement by mac but your BIOS can also have this enabled by default

...but single core use doesn't have to come from the BIOS but can be easily achieved using cpus=1 in chameleon

...also i think thermal contorl makes no diffrence

but i think that since your system is booting up to desktop than it might not be the BIOS

try to get a verbose log if possible

also try the cpus=1 fix