Triple monitors with ATI Radion 5000, 5xxx

Dradis

37 posts in this topic

I think im getting a few more points in gl extensions viewer with the developer kexts but thats about it. You have to modify the ATY_init.kext in addition to the active display port adapter. The original kext that netkas includes doesnt have the 3rd monitor enabled.

Adding this after all the @1,name parts:

1. <key>@2,compatible</key>
  2. <string>ATY,Uakari</string>
  3. <key>@2,connector-type</key>
  4. <string>0x00000004</string>
  5. <key>@2,device_type</key>
  6. <string>display</string>
  7. <key>@2,display-type</key>
  8. <string>0x454e4f4e</string>
  9. <key>@2,name</key>
  10. <string>ATY,Uakari</string>

Uakari worked for me but the original poster on netkas' website stated that Vervet worked for him.

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the whole OSx86 community. I'm still very much learning my way around. Thanks for this wonderful piece of code!!! I was able to insert it into my ATY_init.kext, and poof! My third monitor came alive!

However, there is one odd thing now:

When I boot up, one of my monitors appears "fuzzy." I can see everything, but it's like the frequency is off or something. Everything appears to vibrate left and right really quickly. I can fix it by going into system preferences, and changing the resolution, then changing it back. Voila, problem solved. But it's disconcerting. Any idea what might be going wrong?

BTW, details on my system:

Asus P5Q-Pro

Intel Core2Duo 3.17 GHz

Radeon HD 5750 1GB Sapphire Tech.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.

I need help with my monitor configuration.

My graphic card is XFX ATI HD 5770 XXX 1GB.

My current set up is

DVI1 -> DVI2VGA -> Monitor

DVI2 -> DVI2VGA -> Monitor

Displayport -> DP2VGA -> Monitor

Current DVI1 will detect my monitor while DVI 2 always detect "VGA Display" which doesn't allow me to set the correct resolution.

Displayport monitor is black. Although, whenever I boot up at the Apple Logo, the display port and DVI2 works but not DVI1. Once the computer finished booting, only DVI1 and DVI2 works.

Getting the Displayport monitor working would be nice, but I would let to get DVI2 to detect my actual monitor.

Thank You.

Here is a copy of my ATY_Init.kext Info.plist

<key>@0,compatible</key>
							<string>ATY,Uakari</string>
							<key>@0,connector-type</key>
							<string>0x00000400</string>
							<key>@0,device_type</key>
							<string>display</string>
							<key>@0,display-type</key>
							<string>0x454e4f4e</string>
							<key>@0,name</key>
							<key>@1,compatible</key>
							<key>@1,connector-type</key>
							<key>@1,device_type</key>
							<string>display</string>
							<key>@1,display-type</key>
							<key>@1,name</key>
							<key>@2,compatible</key>
							<string>ATY,Vervet</string>
							<key>@2,connector-type</key>
							<string>0x00000004</string>
							<key>@2,device_type</key>
							<string>display</string>
							<key>@2,display-type</key>
							<key>@2,name</key>

EDIT: With the @2 added, system profiler shows 3 connections, but under "Display Connector:" i get "No Display connected"

Hey guys.

I need help with my monitor configuration.

My graphic card is XFX ATI HD 5770 XXX 1GB.

My current set up is

DVI1 -> DVI2VGA -> Monitor

DVI2 -> DVI2VGA -> Monitor

Displayport -> DP2VGA(Active) -> Monitor

Current DVI 1 will detect my monitor while DVI 2 always detect "VGA Display" which doesn't allow me to set the correct resolution.

Displayport monitor is black. Although, whenever I boot up at the Apple Logo, the display port and DVI2 works but not DVI 1. Once the computer finished booting, only DVI 1 and DVI 2 works.

Getting the Displayport monitor working would be nice, but I would like to get DVI 2 to detect my actual monitor.

Thank You.

Here is a copy of my ATY_Init.kext Info.plist

<key>@0,compatible</key>
							<key>@0,connector-type</key>
							<key>@0,device_type</key>
							<string>display</string>
							<key>@0,display-type</key>
							<key>@0,name</key>
							<key>@1,compatible</key>
							<key>@1,connector-type</key>
							<key>@1,device_type</key>
							<string>display</string>
							<key>@1,display-type</key>
							<key>@1,name</key>
							<key>@2,compatible</key>
							<key>@2,connector-type</key>
							<string>0x00000004</string>
							<key>@2,device_type</key>
							<string>display</string>
							<key>@2,display-type</key>
							<key>@2,name</key>

You need to change Uakari to Vervet for @0 & @1.

Sorry for double post, but my last post was a few days old.

Does anyone see the degrade in performance between windows and hackintosh? I understand that MacOSX isn't as great for gaming as Windows because it doesn't use directX, but I usually get 60fps in Starcraft II (maximum frame rates for my monitor), but not I usually get 30fps and drops even to 10 when there's too much animation going on. On windows, it would keep consistently at 60fps no matter what.

I wonder if it could be the driver issue.

Note: I noticed the low fps performance in my friend's hackintosh with a 9800GTX (which is natively supported by apple).

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 5850 and it works well with the DVI and DisplayPort connectors, but I can't get the HDMI connector to work. I have tried both an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter and an HDMI to DVI adapter, as well as just a straight HDMI connection. It always mirrors the DVI port, and I can't seem to do anything to fix it. I made the changes mentioned in the ATY_Init.kext, but that didn't seem to help. System Profiler shows 3 display connectors, but one always says "No Display Connected". Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

post-37355-1285275314_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the instructions demonfox13x. I just got three Dell 2209WAs on the Diamond 5770 running on my first try.

Has anyone encountered a problem with the displayport connection going to sleep after a couple of minutes? After using hot corner to put displays to sleep and wake, the displayport connection comes back. Have not had any problems with the two DVI ports.

Downloaded a couple of three monitor wallpapers from http://www.triplemonitorbackgrounds.com/ and am really loving the 3x displays.

• 1 month later...
im running three monitors on my 5870, im guessing im one of the first ones to have this working because i havent seen many other posts about this either. The key is to have an ACTIVE display port adapter if you dont have a display port monitor. It will not, i repeat will not work with the two dvi and hdmi slot. im running latest drivers from the developer seed of the snow leopard graphics update and a modified ATY_init.kext. Its running silky smooth, i havent run any benchmarks on it but i played a 1080p video across three monitors and it was beautiful. i have a 30 inch cinema display and 2xDell 20" monitors. ill post my drivers and video if anyone is interested.

Thank you, i'm going surely to try ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to run Sapphire HD5770 FLEX with 3 monitors?

Now I have 2 displays, first with DL-DVI (top), and second with HDMI.

SL-DVI (bottom) not work in any configuration.

P.S. HD5770 FLEX — card, which can support 4 displays without any active adaptors. It works fine in Win7.