New Name

Uchuujin

20 posts in this topic

I was thinking "Compass."

It's simple, short, has links to Safari/Webkit, and is a pretty cool name for browser (considering what it does). :)

I'll give it some thought.

Lol. True. (Mostly) just kidding about the Compass thing.

For usability, I'd argue that that as a web browser it should include some kind of hint of what it does. Even though I loath it, my grandma understands that "Internet Explorer" takes her to the internet, but gets worried everytime this little thing called "Firefox" pops up. Although it's nothing for geeks, for non techies it can be confusing.

Words to possibly include/base it on: Web, Net, Internet, Surf, Browse

How about calling it "Swift". Swift means that the browser is light and fast. Swift is also the name of a family birds [Apopidae], which resemble swallows but are known for their agility and rapid flight. They are related to hummingbirds. Swifts are good at navigating and traveling rapidly. You could use a stylized bird as your icon. Well, that's my suggestion. Most importantly, you gotta make sure it pwns other browsers!

FYI i'm typing this within the browser

Swift is the final name.  I'm going to avoid the i metaphore simpally because Apple/Mac OS has kinda claimed it.  Oh, and if you haven't noticed, i've placed a sample up on getwebkit.org.  it's very buggy though, post a topic if you have any issues.  I will post sources within a day or 2.

I'm liking the anme it has a ring to it. It also sort of follows the whole 'bird' thing with open source browsers - we had phoenix (now firefox) now we have Swift - lets go for the browser revolution again - 1,000,000 downloads of 1.0 ;)

Sounds like fun. Any logo ideas?

Currently the WebKit for Windows (the core libraries...just to clarify) is going to use the WebKit icon "remixed" with a Windows folder instead of a package. It keeps it simple, and people love their remixes (ugh). Dunno if we want to play off that for the Swift logo as well. There's already a logo on the website though :blink:

Nice icon!

If I were to make a suggestion, it would be that you might make the animal a little more stylized - fewer curves, maybe a little shorter, a little easier to distinguish.

Looking great, though.

• 6 months later...

Hmmm.....Icon, eh? Swift.......lemme think for a moment.

I've got it! How about a comet? They're "light" (well they emit it), fast, and have a mystical aura, along with a visible one. I'll try to make an icon in photoshop.

I realize that the comet is WAY to complex for an icon like this, but I just grabbed it from my tablet PC (I made it!)

swifticon-1.jpg

swifticon-2.jpg

Edited by Ramm