Opendarwin calls it quits

8 posts in this topic

Seems they will be shutting down operations due to no help from Apple or Apple Developers. They are also tired of hosting projects for others. Sounds like a lot of whining. Darwin Ports is awesome tool and I hope it keeps being developed. More information available on my blog by clicking here

Well, anyone here who's worked on drivers can tell you Open Darwin was a half-assed effort to begin with. The kernel was never released, the drivers were never release....in fact, the ONLY time I've ever looked at OD source was when I was looking into altering boot2 to recognize VESA 2 instead of VESA 3.

Open Darwin has been little more than a PR campaign to me. I'd hoped it meant that apple was willing to work with others......nope.

That's a shame. Of course, it doesn't help that most of the open-source effort for OS X is still geared towards OS X importation rather than OS X exportation. Couple that with the fact that Linux is still more attractive than ever to OSS-o-philes and experimenters who keep getting Windows-oriented magazines that mention it a couple of places every issue, and lots of effort is lost.

I'm thinking most of the projects will simply find other homes, though. People actually use DarwinPorts a lot (like fink, though I don't know anything about usage stats). Darwine is probably going to be worked on for the forseeable future (until that theoretical point at which it can just go straight into WINE, I imagine). And so on and so forth.

• 3 months later...
Guest goodtime

<<

OpenDarwin Shutting Down

Language: English

OpenDarwin Shutting Down

OpenDarwin was originally created with the goal of providing a development environment for building and developing Mac OS X sources as well as developing a standalone Darwin OS derivative. OpenDarwin was meant to be a development community and a proving ground for fixes and features for Mac OS X and Darwin, which could be picked up by Apple for inclusion in the canonical sources. OpenDarwin has failed to achieve its goals in 4 years of operation, and moves further from achieving these goals as time goes on. For this reason, OpenDarwin will be shutting down.

Over the past few years, OpenDarwin has become a mere hosting facility for Mac OS X related projects. The original notions of developing the Mac OS X and Darwin sources has not panned out. Availability of sources, interaction with Apple representatives, difficulty building and tracking sources, and a lack of interest from the community have all contributed to this. Administering a system to host other people's projects is not what the remaining OpenDarwin contributors had signed up for and have been doing this thankless task far longer than they expected. It is time for OpenDarwin to go dark.

Project admins for all active projects have been notified, and we will be working with them to provide as seamless a transition to their new homes as possible. We don't want to boot anyone off, we will be operating the machines as usual for several months, until everyone has had a chance to move elsewhere.

We will continue to provide email and dns redirection after the machines go dark. We'll be looking at what other redirection services are needed and can be provided after hosting has ceased.

The OpenDarwin team would like to thank everyone who did contribute to the project, and our apologies to active, loyal projects that have to move.

Thanks,

- OpenDarwin Core Team and Administrators

>>

Shutting down OpenDarwin could ultimately over time hurt The OSx86 Project. The HOWTO Knowledge base and info we get started with OpenDarwin, and most recently source code of the 10.4.8 Open Source Kernel. It will be interesting if the 10.5 Kernel will be available through Open Source at all.

Shutting down OpenDarwin could ultimately over time hurt The OSx86 Project. The HOWTO Knowledge base and info we get started with OpenDarwin, and most recently source code of the 10.4.8 Open Source Kernel. It will be interesting if the 10.5 Kernel will be available through Open Source at all.

I think you are confusing Apple's Open Source project area with OpenDarwin. They are NOT the same thing. OpenDarwin shutting down has no bearing on the future of Apple's open source efforts.

Why not put Darwin Ports on sourceforge? Unless it's already on there. If nobody is up to it I'll put it on there. But if it can't be done due to licensing and such then nevermind.