Firefox Mac users please read!

BuXb

12 posts in this topic

Flash Player PlugIn 10.1.53.64/ 10.0.45.2 for Mac OS X Community Mod Installer

EDIT 2010-09-26: new installer version (flat package installer)

If you are running Firefox 3.6.x in Mac OS X and have updated to the latest version of Flash 10.1.x as recommended by both, Adobe and Mozilla, you will most likely have noticed that most Videos on web sites do not play anymore, or that they stutter tremendously. The reason is an incompatibility between Adobe Flash 10.1.x and Firefox 3.6.x.

Work-Arounds have been to 1) either use Apple’s Safari or Google Chrome, either entirely or just for Flash content, or 2a) to downgrade Firefox to 3.5.x. or 2b) upgrade it to 4 Beta.

Firefox 3.6.x would work with Flash 10.0.x, but downgrading directly is of no real help because most big sites, like YouTube and CNN, have blocked their content for anything below 10.1 on Mac OS X. Also you then always get annoying Pop-Ups to please update to Flash 10.1.

I modded the Flash Player Plugin 10.1.53.64 for Mac OS X to work with Firefox 3.6.x. Dr. Hurt created a Installer for your convenience. You can download the package here:

Flash Player PlugIn 10.1.53.64/ 10.0.45.2 OS X Community Mod Installer v.2 (6.4MB).

The Disk Image you download contains a ReadMe which I urge you to read.

Also: DISCLAIMER: NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER, USE COMPLETELY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Happy video viewing in Firefox 3.6.x :) !

Dude your a legend, im going to test this now and see if it works

EDIT: Doesn't work for me, i followed the instructions, applied the patch and then logged out and logged back in but i still have the problem in FF.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mauley, Email Notification is not working correctly, at least with my account, sometimes I get notification sometimes not. I did not get notified about your msg.

I am in the process of creating a real installer over here, let's hope someone helps me.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Installed the just released 10.2.152.26 Flash Plugin and whataya know, it works!! Checked with Firefox and Safari - video and sound. Seems to perhaps a bit smoother.

Hope that future updates will work as well. Finally!

ps. running an Radeon 5780 on 10.6.6 OSX86. I should really update my Siggy.

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I recently installed Mac OS 10.7.2 on a mini-ITX motherboard (Atom CPU), I then proceeded to add more software, including latest Adobe Flash Player and Firefox 13. I did the mistake to install Flash Player first, and then Firefox. When I tried to watch video from Youtube in Safari, the video was "playing" but I saw a black window. I noticed that my Intel GMA 950 graphics card doen't support acceleration in MacOS (in Windows it does), so I right clicked on the flash video, selected Settings and I unchecked the "enable acceleration" button. Next time video in Safari played fine. But when I try to play a video from Youtube in Firefox, it loads for some time and then outputs an error that the Flash Player plugin crashed. I tried to uninstall Adobe Flash Player and Firefox and then installing Firefox first, then Adobe Flash Player, nothing changed. I have also disabled hardware acceleration from Firefox preferences. Is there anything I can do, or I have to use Safari for flash content?

Thank you in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

If there a reason you can't use Firefox 14.0.1 for OS X? (That was my default with Snow Leopard - I skipped Lion and went directly from SL to ML.) Flash has fewer issues with ML than with SL, in fact, though Flash-heavy sites will bring even the Fox to its knees.