First time build for video editor

2 posts in this topic

Hey guys I'm a professional video Editor. Most of the time I work out of my home, and use my Macbook Pro from about 3 years ago (the first with LED screens) for staying sharp with programs and doing light editing. Recently I've been taking on more work out of the office from outside clients and need to up my setup to edit in HD and work with more intense graphics.

I also feel like im killing my laptop by dropping the work load on it...and I like the portability so I want it to last. So basically I dont want to buy a mac pro because its insanely priced, and going the Hackintosh route seems like a lot more fun. I also figured if it doesn't work I have a ridiculous Windows 7.

Regardless I've been doing my research for some time and I have a build I'd love to run by everyone. I checked things out on the wiki database and seems to work. I've also built dozens of DIY pcs for friends so that shouldn't be an issue. Is it bad that getting back to this stuff is turning on all sorts of switches inside of me and making me want to open up all my stuff like I used years ago?

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

(seems pricey but apparently is real future proof and handles a lot)

Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C8D3K3/6GX

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I will be dual booting to play games and I figured I may do 1HD for windows and 1HD for mac... just an idea now. I have a DROBO i use for editing

the issue here is the video card. I want something with some power. I like playing games and want to be able to handle them, but I also really need good dual monitor support, and if possibly more but thats wishful thinking.

GIGABYTE GV-N250-1GI GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card seemed cool and real compatible and it has Dual-Link DVI Support.

Im also looking for a blu ray burner at the moment. Regardless I appreciate any thoughts. This is my first post, but a long time viewer for some time now. Thanks.

get the Samsung B083L blu ray drive, its approx. US$100 and worth every cent :(.

If you're doing video editing, I suggest getting something much more worth your money (but more expensive, sadly.)

The GTS-250 is basically the same as the 9800GT which is low-mid end now however, I'm not sure as to what cards are good at video editing.