Chameleon RC5 mode with mem detection enabled and automatic P-States & C-States generation for native power managment

kozlek

1,214 posts in this topic

I have a asus p6t6-ws-revolution and a corei7 965 processor. I have questions:

1) AppleLPC.kext, appleHPET.kext and native sleep without sleepenabler.kext works on my system. Does that mean speedstep is enabled? How do I know for sure that speedstep is enabled on my system? Voodoomonitor.kext KP:s on my system.

2) What steps should be taken for me to enable speedtsep?

3) Please clarify dropssdt=yes, generatePstates=yes and genereate Cstates=yes option. Exactly what do these do and when are they needed?

Please help

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get native power management working for days now.

It works (CPU clocks to 100% during boot, gets hot and the fan start spinning faster) - but CPUPLimit is set to the lowest P-State and after the login window appeared, and I'm stuck at 798MHz. I tried the Legacy kext with different model identifies and ThermalProfiles, however I've had no luck. LPC and that kind of stuff is all present, I guess if CPUPLimit is set to 0x0, everything would would as expected.

Could somebody please point out how I would get rid of the CPUPLimit?

Edit: I DID IT!

Slice, Thank You! Setting my model identifier to MacBookPro5,2 worked according to VoodooMonitor (freq and voltage change based on load). Interestedly, sysctl still reports min and max both as the max freq for this processor and no switching. This is different from using VoodooPower which was accurately reported from both... IORegistry shows a reasonable performance state array and the ACPI...Plugin still shows the same error at boot time. It's definitely running hotter than with VoodooPower but that was not entirely unexpected.

I haven't looked into the /S/L/E/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/C/P/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin since Leopard and having seen the individual models all broken out into different plists put me off the track when I didn't see the old style plist that could be edited to force it to use my choice of model identifier. Strange, I bunch of searching didn't find the solution, maybe I should't have had that last drink...

Ok, so... I have been resistant to using other peoples work without putting in the time and effort to get at least a basic understanding of what is going on. I absolutely don't fall into the drop the dsdt/extension/boot file in place, press the power button and cross your fingers crowd. It's been 15 years since I last was paid to write code. I'm willing to put in the effort to get things right on my own as much as I can. So that said...

My question is: What is a reasonable expectation for power management on this laptop (1525/T5450) and if there is more to be done what is the place to start?

RC5 is shaping up to be a real breakthrough, many thanks to the Chameleon Team!

Edited to add: I'm thinking about modifying the MacBook3,1.plist to include the PLimitDict MacBook3,1 set to zero. Any reason not to go this route? Are C-States just impossible on this laptop?

Not only PLimitDict. You need also to exclude CStateDict and add RestartAction.

My sample.

<key>ConfigArray</key>
  <array>
	<dict>
	  <key>WWEN</key>
	  <true/>
	  <key>model</key>
	  <string>MacBook4,1</string>
	  <!-- Slice added  -->
	  <key>restart-actions</key>
	  <dict>
		  <key>cpu-p-state</key>
	  <integer>0</integer>
	  </dict>
	</dict>
  </array>
<!--	  <key>CStateDict</key>
  <dict>
	<key>MacBook4,1</key>
	<string>CSD3</string>
	<key>MacBook4,1</key>
	<string>CSD3</string>
	<key>CSD3</key>
	<dict>
	  <key>C6</key>
	  <dict>
		<key>enable</key>
		<false/>
	  </dict>
	</dict>
  </dict> -->
  <key>ControlArray</key>

I have a asus p6t6-ws-revolution and a corei7 965 processor. I have questions:

1) AppleLPC.kext, appleHPET.kext and native sleep without sleepenabler.kext works on my system. Does that mean speedstep is enabled? How do I know for sure that speedstep is enabled on my system? Voodoomonitor.kext KP:s on my system.

2) What steps should be taken for me to enable speedtsep?

3) Please clarify dropssdt=yes, generatePstates=yes and genereate Cstates=yes option. Exactly what do these do and when are they needed?

Please help

Try this new kext utility by Janek202:

Kext Wizard.app.zip

Reference:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...253395&st=0

• 3 weeks later...

Could I please ask anyone of you using this branch forward me toward a package version of the version or help me understand which files I need to capture from the source code and install this manually.

In all explanation of manual install I see there is a file called boot1h but when I look 386 directory of the source code I do not see this file?

Thanks in advance,

Artimess

Could I please ask anyone of you using this branch forward me toward a package version of the version or help me understand which files I need to capture from the source code and install this manually.

In all explanation of manual install I see there is a file called boot1h but when I look 386 directory of the source code I do not see this file?

Thanks in advance,

Artimess

Did you actually compile the source code from trunk with the Xcode.app? I'm not sure if I understand your question but here is the thread with some Chameleon 2 RC5 .pkg installers and compiled binaries:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this post.

I have Lion up and running, but my overclock settings are not being reflected once I boot.

Where is the likely source of this discrepancy?

CPU Q6600

GA-EP45-UD3P

I have the bios set for 400x9 = 3600

r0o30m.png

I played around with some of the setting in the Chameleon prefpane.

Thanks for the advice.

smbios.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>01/02/08</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B02.0801021250</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacPro</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>XXXXXXXXXX</string>
</dict>
</plist>

org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

• 1 month later...

just a quick one...

could you be so kind and explain me why Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r828 dectect my memory as 600Mhz instead of 667Mhz ? smbios.plist is set correctly. Geekbench also raports 600mhz ... :)

please help

post-234093-1314638450_thumb.jpg

post-234093-1314638283_thumb.jpg

I wasn't getting C-States in IORegExp either. So I took a look at my MacBook and it doesn't show any info for C-States either. I think it only applies to certain/newer CPUs.

So long as the SMC plugin isn't complaining about lacking C-states and speedstepping works (I checked with SMC Monitor) then everything is OK at that end.

Can't help you with the KPs as I didn't have that problem here. Are you using a DSDT override?

I can't seem to get c-states working. It is enabled in BIOS and I get the "c-states created successfully" message on boot but if I remove CPUPM disabler I get a KP. P-states seem to be generated correctly (see PerformanceStateArray)

Q6600/GA-P35-DS3R/BIOS F13

Any ideas?

Would there happen to be a thread listing all the different versions of Chameleon and what system/components that version seems to be best for?

I've been using rc4 rev684 successfully for ages with my 10.6.3 legacy kernel PentiumD system, but have been having lots of problems trying to upgrade to 10.6.8 and think it may be time to update my Chameleon build..

Latest Chameleon should work fine with your Pentium D. My old P4 Cedar Mill/i865/10.5.8 Hack was running Chameleon 2.0 RC5 with no issues. All the important stuff that makes your Pentium D work (except automatic CPU-faking which you can also override via your smbios.plist) is taken care of by your patched kernel, not the boot loader.

If you want to test drive the latest Chameleon just install it to a USB flash drive or make your own Chameleon boot CD. That way you can tweak it until it works the way you want without messing with your present configuration.

I have Lion up and running, but my overclock settings are not being reflected once I boot.

AFAIK Netkas' CPU-x does not monitor your CPU speed in real time unless you have some voodoo kexts installed, don't remember which ones (VoodooMonitor/VoodooPState or something) and I don't know if they will work on Lion.

But I'm not sure if it's actually possible to have CPU-x do realtime monitoring while using native CPU power management.

You can try Mark-i or MSR Tools (search). I don't know if any of them will work with Lion though.

I wasn't getting C-States in IORegExp either. So I took a look at my MacBook and it doesn't show any info for C-States either. I think it only applies to certain/newer CPUs.

So long as the SMC plugin isn't complaining about lacking C-states and speedstepping works (I checked with SMC Monitor) then everything is OK at that end.

Can't help you with the KPs as I didn't have that problem here. Are you using a DSDT override?

Interesting, that's very helpful. Regarding the KP's I have a custom DSDT I assembled but nothing to do with the CPU, only USB/SATA/etc. fixes

My DSDT was generated with MaLd0n's autopatcher. I just added an extra patch for the gigabit ethernet. With that and the Chimera bootloader (I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to install) power management worked first time (sleep, restart, speedstepping etc). No KP's. If you're using Chameleon RC5 then it should work just the same. I just ended up with Chimera from using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].

Interesting, that's very helpful. Regarding the KP's I have a custom DSDT I assembled but nothing to do with the CPU, only USB/SATA/etc. fixes

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, I'm going crazy to get power management working.

I have a core2duo penryn t7350 and an Hp dv3 laptop.

I get kernel panic removing nullcpu kext, so I fixed Hpet error with dsdt patch taken from https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

However I still get Hpet error, cpu configured incorrectly.

This is the boot.config used:

<key>Credits</key>
	<string>www.Niresh.co</string>
	<key>EnableC2State</key>
	<string>yes</string>
	<key>EnableC3State</key>
	<string>yes</string>
	<key>EnableC4State</key>
	<string>yes</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>yes</string>
	<string>yes</string>
	<string>yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x2000 dart=0</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>yes</string>

I tried with and without patched AppleIntelCPUpowermanagemnt.

Then someone suggest me to try with clover, and I used a configuration file from a user with similar hardware.

Many fixes are selected in this config.plist (included Hpet) and also AppleLPC load without problem, but when I remove nullcpu kext, again Kernel after login.

Anyway, there is something wrong with my chameleon boot.plist?

• 5 months later...

I am not sure how the new Pstate/C-State generator works.
But the Adress of the Control Register is on some mainbaords 0x4xx and some 0x8xx (400,410,415, 416 like my EP35 vs 800,810,815,816). Maybe here is the problem ? (patched DSDT works, chameleon PStates gen not).