Chameleon RC5 mode with mem detection enabled and automatic P-States & C-States generation for native power managment

kozlek

1,214 posts in this topic

Hi,

I use this chameleon version with an Asus 1201N and it works great . I activate the P-States and C-States generation without any issue (after having remove everything linked in DSDT for sure). And with the last version of Chameleon, memory informations can be access in "About this Mac", "More Info", "Memory". Previously I'd got an error reading here.

However, the memory detection as "some issues" (please, note that I removed all memory information in SMBIOS.plist, that only contains for me "Macbook" Air 2.1 information).

It detects 4 DIMM slots but we have only 2 in the netbook.

Furthermore, even if the 2 DIMM are the same, it detect the first one as RAM,and the second one as DDR2 SDRAM (what it is really ;).

BANK0/DIMM0 :

Taille : 2 Go

Type : RAM

Vitesse : 800 MHz

État : OK

Fabricant : N/A

Numéro de pièce : N/A

Numéro de série : N/A

BANK1/DIMM1 :

Taille : Vide

Type : Vide

Vitesse : Vide

État : Vide

Fabricant : Vide

Numéro de pièce : Vide

Numéro de série : Vide

BANK2/DIMM2 :

Taille : 2 Go

Type : DDR2 SDRAM

Vitesse : 800 MHz

État : OK

Fabricant : N/A

Numéro de pièce : N/A

Numéro de série : N/A

BANK3/DIMM3 :

Taille : Vide

Type : Vide

Vitesse : Vide

État : Vide

Fabricant : Vide

Numéro de pièce : Vide

Numéro de série : Vide

For sure, it is only cosmetic, and I'm very happy with the last progress that provide us native power management.

Thanks for your hard work !!!!

Nota: I use a "Meklort" compiled version to enable Atom support, but after discussion with him, he said me that he is not working on the memory detection code, so it seems that it is the best thread yo ask about ;).

Hi guys and thank you for this excellent work.

I'm using Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r518 in my hack, with P-states and C-states enbled in com.apple.Boot, and evrything seems to be all right except for the temperature of my E8400 : it stacks at 53-54 degrees Celsius ?

In Extra/Extension I have only fakesmc.kext, JMicronATA.kext and LegacyHDA.kext and I use DSDT.aml fixes for my GA-EP35-DS3 (no P-States or C-States fix)

Thank you

Hi geticus,

you have the same mainboard like I have: EP-35-DS3.

I also use the identical kexts (fakesmc.kext, JMicronATA.kext, LegacyHDA.kext) and a patched DSDT (DSDT-Auto-Patcher)

I'm running on SL 10.6.5 with Chameleon RC2 519 and P- and C-states activated. Standby is working.

How can I check, that speedstepping with my CPU is working like it should? Are there any tools I can use for that?

Full specs of my system plz look at my signature.

Hi geticus,

you have the same mainboard like I have: EP-35-DS3.

I also use the identical kexts (fakesmc.kext, JMicronATA.kext, LegacyHDA.kext) and a patched DSDT (DSDT-Auto-Patcher)

I'm running on SL 10.6.5 with Chameleon RC2 519 and P- and C-states activated. Standby is working.

How can I check, that speedstepping with my CPU is working like it should? Are there any tools I can use for that?

Full specs of my system plz look at my signature.

You can try MSR Tools but it's running only in 32. You have to start in 32 mode, only to see what is hapening.

Maybe someone else can tell you more

greating and Happy New Year

Any way to change voltages while running Snow Leopard? I found out my cpu works well under lowest allowed voltage, even at highest frequencies, and i would like to change voltages like i do in Linux (phc kernel) / Windows (crystalcpuid).

Thanks

I believe that the Mark-i project is now deprecated for unknown to me reasons.

What do you expected from the application? Now we have FakeSMC with monitoring so Mark closed his project as needless.

As far as I know Mark-i is the only free alternative to iStat if you want to see fan speeds and voltages.

If there is something else available I would love to know.

/EDIT

Thanks, the iStat Pro widget works beautifully. No voltages though.

Sorry about the O/T talk.

As far as I know Mark-i is the only free alternative to iStat if you want to see fan speeds and voltages.

Yes and no.

iMark works as is independent on SMC keys. And it supports very few hardware. It is free but not opensource.

If you want to see fan speeds, voltages, CPU speed there are other opensource applications based on SMC: iStatPro and smcK-Stat-i.

Screen_shot_2011_01_05_at_18.33.55.png

Dear chameleon dev's,

I Have performance problems related to versions higher than at least rev.486 (boot):

It's definately somthing that has to do with p-states..

First

in 486 (idle) temps are cpu heatsink: 28 / core: 42 Voltage: 0.93 adjusting according freq.

in 700 " temps : 34 / 49 Voltage : 1.23 stable

in 486 P-States are never generated during boot and seems to work like in Windows7 at correct speeds. Whilst in 700 speeds at load seem to vary.

My system : X58 Intel I7 920....

Best Regards,

Rupke..(still using 486 :) )

Hi Folks,

I've noticed IntelCPUPowermanagement gets blacklisted. Is'nt this nescessary for speedstepping /p-states?? I get Kernel Panic and errors on it if not blacklisted. What's the use of generating p-states with no IntelCPUPowermanagement??

I'm totally confused. ver.486 also blacklisted IntelCPUPowermanagement. But here problems just don' t seem to exist..

Still want some good speedstepping/voltage in ver.700+ ;)

Rupke

I don't know if it has to do with the newest Chameleon release but I noticed a "new" behaviour. Madl0n supplied met a corrected DSDT file for my HP8710W laptop a while ago. Most things worked fine except the sleep function. I had to power down my laptop after invoking sleep. When I powered the laptop to on again the laptop started to load the hybernation file, loading the hybernation file was causing a KP. Now the behaviour is that I still needs to power down after sleep invoke but the loading of the Hybernation files is now loaded without a KP. After reinvoking sleep again sleep is working without any issues. So the first Sleep attempt is failing but writing a hybernation file to disk. This one loads fine and after loading the hybernation sleep is working without the hybernation file and works as it should. This is strange not ? Any ideas to fix it to get it working without hybernation ? I think my system is pretty close to be perfectly working with everything working as it should.

Oh the latest Chemeleon working now is RC5 - 700

I've noticed IntelCPUPowermanagement gets blacklisted.

Trunk Chameleon 2.0 RC5 does not blacklist any kernel extensions.

You're either using some Chameleon branch or variant, or you're using a Voodoo-based Kernel, which blacklists a bunch of kernel extensions that aren't compatible with CPUs that can't run the vanilla kernel.

Read the Voodoo Kernel manual:

http://xnu-dev.googlecode.com/files/Voodoo...cumentation.pdf

/EDIT

Thanks, the iStat Pro widget works beautifully. No voltages though.

Sorry about the O/T talk.

Plus the mark-i shows you that the multipliers, voltage and speed are changing so you definitely know you have working speed step. Oh and the iStat Menus will show you voltage changes of the CPU with all my fan speeds at least on my install with fakesmc + plugin.

iStat Menus will show you voltage changes of the CPU

I know that, I was asking if there is a free alternative. Just to mess with and see if I can get hardware monitoring working. I don't actually care enough about voltages that I'm willing to pay to see them.

/EDIT

Thanks MacUser2525

I didn't know this but apparently iStat menus used to be free. Version 2.0 was free, fully functional and can still be found with google.

I know that, I was asking if there is a free alternative. Just to mess with and see if I can get hardware monitoring working. I don't actually care enough about voltages that I'm willing to pay to see them.

Although I do pay for it now the free version showed the voltage and still does on my spare machine that I have not upgraded yet..

@hannibal1969,

hope you know that 700 is kabyl's and not trunk.

btw, u can try my latest if u want ;)

I guess I used the trunk one. I got it on the front topic page of MadL0n:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523

I tried your latest boot. As told earlier its detecting everything perfect but then strange sound is produced from the laptop. With the original Chameleon weird FSB detection shows 183Mhz but this produce crystal clear audio.

P.S. I just found out in Windows with Everest that not only the Multipliers is adjusted under lower load condition, the FSB is devided as well.

So Load = 12 X 200 = 2,4Ghz | Idle = 8 X 100 = 800Mhz

/EDIT

Thanks MacUser2525

I didn't know this but apparently iStat menus used to be free. Version 2.0 was free, fully functional and can still be found with google.

You can try this free app Temperature monitor. It shows CPU, GPU, Northbridge and disk temps. No voltage though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I don't know if this is a known issue, but I think it'd be good if I shared it with you.

I found out that my system in signature suffers a lot from enabling the C States. Here's the breakdown of the issue:

At any speed, stock or overclocked, with any possible BIOS settings, at any possible CPU load, when C States are enabled, the passage from Halt state to operational generates a mini stop in the system, obviously in OSX.

This produces crackling of sound, mouse cursor tiny interruptions, and several other little annoying issues.

Also, I noticed that enabling C States considerably stretches OSX's loading time. The spinning wheel halts and then restarts spinning during loading several times.

Sleep is also not working, even enabling C3 states specifically.

Last but not least, restart and shutdown are considerably longer.

Disabling C States obviously produces a higher CPU temperature which I'm not so keen of, but at least the system runs extremely smooth and fast.

I also noticed that this did not occur with my previous Core 2 Quad system. It's something that popped up only after upgrading to an i7 system.

I tried the main trunk, Kabyl's and Valv's.

Any suggestions or insight? P-States are perfectly generated and produce no unwanted results.

• 3 weeks later...

Would somebody please be so kind and post a link to a compiled boot of mozodojo/ Super Zan-Zan's latest RC5 mod? This topic is pretty congested so I could not find it.

Thanks,

Bugs

Hi there,

It's been a long time I haven't been in touch with hacks and now I got new notebook, and tried to make things work, but after few days I'm lost, too many kinds of bootloaders, too many options ... realy hard to handle this huge piece of news.

Maybe someone can help me to get it working right and share knowledge what and how to use.

Right now I have Asus U30JC with i5-560M, 4GB of ram and nvidia optimus card (310m/intel gma hd). So far I've managed to get lan and wifi to work. I also know till now there is no method to get such nvidia optimus work either 310m or GMA HD with QE/CI and native resolution (some guys from linux world have managed to switch off nvidia card to save some battery life but still no way to get 310 working not mention about switching GPU's like under Win7).

I'm now trying to get Powermanagement to work. Lastly I've used VooDooPower from Superhai's (kudos for his job) but now it's causing KP's and seems he left hack world.

I was trying to compile my dsdt (even unmodified) but it gives me lots of errors and none of tools I've found seems to fix this.

Loading vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement causes KP.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to get speedstep without modyfying DSDT/SSDT and point me some to some guides where to start to get it working?

I've attached ACPI table dumps from everest, maybe some one can have a look at it and help me, please.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

fingerr.

Everest.zip