Chameleon RC5 mode with mem detection enabled and automatic P-States & C-States generation for native power managment

• Please log in to reply
1214 replies to this topic

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,902 posts

You need DropSSDT if your motherboard's original SSDT has P/C-States.

THANKS - now i understand clear.

Noodle09

Noodle09

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
One question:

To enable native power management you should use proper mac model + HPET enabled.

But my BIOS contains no HPET, I manually add HPET, but got probeHPET() failed in kernel log. Can I still use this bootloader to enable native power management?

kozlek

kozlek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 331 posts
Check rev198 on forge.chameleon.org. I have fixed all known critical bugs, if not forget something :blink:

zef

zef

InsanelyMac Geek

• Retired Developers
  • 152 posts

Check rev198 on forge.chameleon.org. I have fixed all known critical bugs, if not forget something :)

Thanks mozo, just synced your changes back to trunk:

http://forge.voodoop...rce/commit/199/

;)

kozlek

kozlek

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 331 posts
I see, where is something wrong... Just check ACPITables in IORegistryExplorer. But everything works, excluding DropSSDT option.

PS. Fixed.

zef

zef

InsanelyMac Geek

• Retired Developers
  • 152 posts

PS. Fixed.

PS2. Synced :thumbsup_anim:

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,170 posts
Blimey.. I have just downloaded and built r201 and was going to report my success and now r202's out! I'll go and do it again! :thumbsup_anim:

Keep up the fast dev work guys.. it's great to see.

EDIT: r202 is working wonderfully.

EDIT: Question.. When I ran with my DSDT patched with _PSS / _CST data, and followed mm67's help from this post, entering setpci -s 0:1f.0 0xa6.b returned 80, but at the moment that command returns 00?

Also VoodooMonitor shows a drop to the lowest multiplier but only occasionally shows a voltage (1.116V) below my lowest P-State (1.132V) which I have been used to seeing often.. Are my C-States working effectively? I'll do some further tests.

EDIT: Well, rebooting with my patched DSDT with _PSS / _CST data, with r202, without the GeneratePStates / GenerateCStates boot options allows the above setpci command to return 80 and VoodooMonitor shows the lowest multiplier with a voltage of (1.116V) all the time while typing this. I'll extract the ACPI tables and see what I can find.

EDIT: Having looked at the _CST information, there is a difference which will probably explain what I am seeing.
The CST data from my DSDT which was from mm67's code, which returns 80 from the setpci command.
[size=2]Name (CST, Package (0x04)	{		0x03, 		Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (FFixedHW, 1, 2, 0x000,)},0x01,0x01,0x03E8},		Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (FFixedHW, 1, 2, 0x010,)},0x02,0x01,0x01F4},		Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (FFixedHW, 1, 2, 0x030,)},0x04,0x39,0x064}	})[/size]
The CST data I get from Mozodojo's automated generator, which returns 00 from the setpci command.
[size=2]Name (CST, Package (0x04)	{		0x03, 		Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (FFixedHW, 1, 2, 0x000,1)},0x01,0x01,0x03E8},		Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (FFixedHW, 1, 2, 0x010,1)},0x02,0x5A,0x01F4},		Package (0x04) {ResourceTemplate () {Register (FFixedHW, 1, 2, 0x020,1)},0x03,0x0384,0x015E}	})[/size]
I see the following data in my FACP which I think is where the auto generator code gets it's data from:
C2 Latency : 005A
C3 Latency : 0384
So I guess the CST data I have from the auto generator is correct as far as best determining what can be found on my boards' ACPI tables. And if I remember correctly, I think mm67 got the code shown above from his MSI board and not a Gigabyte board? So in which case there would be no way for that code to be automatically generated..

Ah, well. I guess I have answered my own question here.. and anyway, I am happy with the fantastic results I get from the Mozodojo code. So again.. great job :blink:

snackole

snackole

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
This is really cool stuff. I just tried it out but got Memory Allocation error on boot. I built the source with xcode and replaced the boot file in my / directory. Are there other files I need to copy as well?

zef

zef

InsanelyMac Geek

• Retired Developers
  • 152 posts

This really cool stuff. I just tried it out but got Memory Allocation error on boot. I built the source with xcode and replaced the boot file in my / directory. Are there other files I need to copy as well?

What revision gave you the memory allocation error?

Trauma!

Trauma!

Took too much...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
Hey all,

Great improvements !

@zef: Could be the right time for an official RCx release ? Or even the real V2 release ?

Cheers

snackole

snackole

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I thought it was the latest one from assembla svn, but the link from the first post seems to have changed.

tj5

tj5

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 10 posts

This is really cool stuff. I just tried it out but got Memory Allocation error on boot. I built the source with xcode and replaced the boot file in my / directory. Are there other files I need to copy as well?

I had the same problem from the assembla.com site but using the source (now changed) in post #1 mine compiled fine and works (version 204).

snackole

snackole

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thank you. I'll check it out.

Also thanks to ZEF for your response.

You guys are doing some great stuff!

scrax

scrax

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

try to use "Wait"="Yes" option in boot.plist to check chameleon log. I need some debug information from it. Maybe SSDT patcher didn't found CPUs in DSDT. Where is knowing bug in CPU name detection algo. I'll fix it later.

Hi,
I've made some test with revision 352 but it gives me memory allocation error with DropSSDT,EnablePStates and EnableCStates all set to "Yes"

CPU DSDT code:

Scope (_PR) {
		Processor (CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
		Processor (CPU1, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
		Processor (CPU2, 0x02, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
		Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000810, 0x06) {} 
}

c.a.B.p code:
[size=1]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"><plist version="1.0"><dict>	<key>Boot Banner</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>Graphics Mode</key>	<string>1920x1080x32</string>	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>	<string>No</string>	<key>DropSSDT</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>GeneratePStates</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>GenerateCStates</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>Instant Menu</key>	<string>Yes</string>	<key>Kernel</key>	<string>mach_kernel</string>	<key>Kernel Flags</key>	<string>arch=i386</string>	<key>Quiet Boot</key>	<string>No</string>	<key>SystemType</key>	<string>1</string>	<key>Theme</key>	<string>Default</string>	<key>Timeout</key>	<string>0</string>	<key>Wait</key>	<string>No</string>	<key>device-properties</key>	<string></string></dict></plist>[/size]

memory allocation error:
Attached File  IMGP1169.JPG   2.3MB   193 downloads

If I use C-State in DSDT and so I put EnableCStates=No in c.a.B.p i can boot up, but no speedstep (like with the value injected in DSDT).

Please note that i'm using Zotac GF9300 WIFI ITX, with a q9300 overclocked @2.62

The only way I can have speedstep with this configuration is with P-StateChanger (i've not tested with VoodooPowerMini yet)

With DSDTSE I can see the 4 ssdt table attached here:
Attached File  SSDT.zip   5.43KB   25 downloads

My q9300 was seen as Xeon before the upgrade, now it's unknown

Like snackole i've just compiled it with "make clean; make" and changed the boot in root, boot1h and boot0 are from ANVAL bootloader.

Now I'll test with the 204 on the official Chameleon repo.

mem detection not tested ( my ddr2 was not recognized on the last version Rekursor released some time ago)

scrax

scrax

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
Hi all,with the 204 from chameleon repo I have no more memory issue at boot with DropSSDT,EnableCStates and EnablePStates = Yes.
but still I have CST error in kernel.log:

Jul 23 03:41:46 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete
Jul 23 03:41:46 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient: ready
Jul 23 03:41:55 macbook-pro-di-tomare kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
Jul 23 03:42:05: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Jul 23 03:41:55 macbook-pro-di-tomare kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

Just to be sure that OC is not causing any problem I'm now at default clock.

Now i'll boot with wait=Yes to check if there is something helpful ...

EDIT: As reported in another topic, it works but with an old dsdt i was using, not with my last one. CPU recognized as Quad core Xeon as expected...

Onixs

Onixs

Since 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Where is some problems with CPU detection after I've integrated valv's CPU type injection code. Need more testers and reports to fix it. So Quad Core is not detected or information for injection was incorrect. Will check it later.

Compiled the new one and it is now Fixed! ;)

rekursor

rekursor

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired Developers
  • 369 posts
Ok folks,

I optimized the mem detection, and it is now blazing fast :)

Warning:
this version has memory detection enabled by default,
so it's only intended for people for whom mem detection did NOT crash
before with latest mozodojo / zef enhancements in build 204

For people for whom it crashed before (if any), it should not work better,
only mem detection time has been dramatically reduced ...

here:
Attached File  boot.zip   96.45KB   16 downloads

EDIT: even faster:
Attached File  boot_2.zip   96.45KB   131 downloads

I'll commit the changes after some sleep and after some feedback :D

VCH888

VCH888

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Ok folks,

I optimized the mem detection, and it is now blazing fast :)

Warning:
this version has memory detection enabled by default,
so it's only intended for people for whom mem detection did NOT crash
before with latest mozodojo / zef enhancements in build 204

For people for whom it crashed before (if any), it should not work better,
only mem detection time has been dramatically reduced ...

I'll commit the changes after some sleep and after some feedback :D

Thanks for your work.

Devices: 945GCM-S2L, DDR2 667 MHz 2 x 1 GB
I could see mem detection at booting correctly but mem report in System Profiler was wrong.

Bank0/1/A0:

Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 667 MHz
Manufacturer: Kingston
Part Number: 9905316-005.A04LF
Serial Number: FFFFFF???

Bank2/3/A1:

Size: 1 GB
Speed: 800 MHz
Manufacturer: N/A
Part Number: N/A
Serial Number: N/A

updated @ 21.01
Devices:EP45-UD3R, G.Skill DDR2 1066 MHz 2 x 2 GB

rekusor's boot

Bank0/1/A0:

Size: 2 GB
Manufacturer: G Skill Intl
Part Number: F2-8500CL5-2GBPK
Serial Number: 100000000

Bank4/5/A2:

Manufacturer: G Skill Intl
Serial Number: 100000001

AsereBLN's boot

Bank0/1/A0:

Speed: 1066 MHz
Manufacturer: G.SKILL
Serial Number: 0x00000000

Bank4/5/A2:

Speed: 1066 MHz
Manufacturer: G.SKILL
Serial Number: 0x00000000

from CPU-Z
Attached File  DDR2_1066.JPG   48.3KB   165 downloads

eberts

eberts

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Does it load other ACPI tables, too? Cause I currently boot valv's loader with a custom APIC table...
@the_chameleon_team: Thx for your work!

Geenz

Geenz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Just tried to use this on my system. The system reboots when it attempts to generate C-States P-States for my CPU.
My CPU is an intel Core i7 920. My motherboard is the EVGA X58 SLI.

Correction: Seems like it's doing it when it's generating P-States, not C-States..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy