Radeon HD4770 Solutions

rafirafi

118 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was reading that 4770 was not supported / not tested so I get my hd 2400 agp working in leopard but I was stuck with no acceleration in SNOW.

I come back with my HD 4770.

My card:

Sapphire 4770 HD 512Mb Gddr5 dual dvi-i/tvo

Device ID: 0x94b3

(Edit 23/09/2010

if you're not interested in history you could jump to the TUTORIAL at this end of this post.)

Quickly:

1/ Get evoenabler for the 4890 from one other topic here (but I've tried others, till it's 48XX it seems to work), I've just changed the card name (cosmetic) and KEEP the ATY bin image part.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=55343

2/ Add my id 0x94b31002 in the ATIController4800.kext Info.plist:

reboot: make the framebuffer Motmot work BUT only with DVI->VGA.

3/ Add my id 0x94b31002 in the AATIRadeonX200.kext Info.plist

reboot.

Acceleration working.

"OpenGL Extension" shows "ATI Rendere RV470 Prototype OpenGL Engine"

OpenCL not working.

Thanks to netkas, a comment in his site makes me think it was possible.

Hope it will help

PS: If you're just interrested in right resolution you could use the RadeonHD framebuffer: it's working :

-Resolution / DVI but no acceleration:

1/ delete the injector

2/ install radeonHD.kext (framebuffer ati)

3/ boot with arch=i386

4/ full resolution, great colors

But any attempt to get acceleration closed with Kernel Panic.

Edit 23/09/2010:

TUTORIAL

You could now find a basic tutorial:

HD4700_macosx_tutorial.pdf.zip

and the files required:

boot_Flicker.zip

boot_Quail.zip

collection_boot_4770.zip

October 1st edit/update. Rafiari's guide is enough for most people. I'm writing a more long-winded SUPPLEMENTARY TUTORIAL below for people starting out and to help people avoid being locked out of booting up by kernel panic. 

Huge credit to rafirafi and Kabyl

-------------------------------------

Note: It's possible the excellent rafiafi will pop up with some more thoughts but meantime the tutorial in this post refers to 10.6.4. Later in the thread I discuss my subsequently updating from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 based in large part on his suggestions; I am not certain he is still using Snow. Once I am sure people aren't having stability issues with 10.6.5 (it would be very helpful if people could report their experiences), say mid December, I will update this tutorial post to 10.6.5 which in instillation does have some fundamental differences in methodology, along with a bit of repetition. In the forum's past a lot of people have preferred to hold off updating to a new 10.6.x until they are relatively sure of stability and that they won't brick their expensive card. I haven't yet heard of anyone who has had problems with 10.6.4, though rafiafi did at one point ask me if I was having any problems with heat, which at the time of writing I haven't had. Some years ago I had problems with an HP laptop overheating and dying, and hence this cautionary approach. You proceed at your own risk, as they say. Meantime, an evolutionary approach and reading the relatively short thread in its entirety before proceeding will give you a better sense of what you are doing, how the process has evolved - and that adding your voice to the discussion might help another. 

Ultimately I'm all about encouraging people to buy buying Macs when they can afford to, new or used; meantime it's good to keep the platform flag flying with this hobby. Please don't ask me questions if you haven't purchased the cheap Snow Leopard retail DVD and followed a community Retail install guide along those lines. As far as I am aware what people do in the privacy of their own home with their purchases is their business. If you are new at all this do a search for someone who is using the same hardware as you, it will save a lot of time and frustration!

------------------------------------

What you will need download

Starting with Chameleon you want to use the replacement boot file from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231768 - it's at the bottom of Kabyl's first post (link updated 31st Oct) UPDATE - THOUGH THERE IS NOW A NEW BOOT.GZ FILE LISTED, IT CAUSES KERNEL PANIC AT BOOT; THOUGH THE OLD BOOT.GZ DOWNLOAD LINK HAS A LINE SCORED THROUGH IT, IT IS STILL ACTIVE AT THE TIME OF POSTING, December 16th.

extract boot file from the boot.gz file and overwrite your existing Chameleon boot file (depending on where you installed Chameleon ((I have a seperate EFI partition that I install to)), you will probably find it at root, which is to say open a new Finder window, click on your hard drive icon; the boot file and kernel files will probably be invisible; you can make them visible and overwriteable by installing either the trial of Cocktail or the free Onyx application and get them to show invisible files).

and you'll want to modify your Chameleon boot.plist in text edit (which all being well you should find in the Chameleon-generated folder called 'Extra', again at root if that's where you installed Chameleon to; I install Chameleon to the EFI partition and recommend that if you install it to root instead, you read up about that on the Chameleon forums as I am not familiar with that way of doing things and am speculating a bit about the location of the boot and Extra files when installed to root) in my case, with my monitor plugged into the graphics card's DVI, AtiFB with Flicker works best (if you have a different set up, you'll need to do some research/check out the Chameleon thread listed on page three). Don't put the text in bold; I'm just highlighting it!

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</string>

<string></string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>AtiFb</key>

<string>Flicker</string>

Continue downloading, the following:-

Pacifist - it comes as a trial. If you find it useful, support the maker and purchase it! 

10.6.4 combo update

10.6.3v1.1 combo update

Snow Leopard Graphics Update (you could reduce the number of steps below by extracting ATIRadeon4800Controller from 10.6.3v1.1 instead and forgetting about Snow Leopard Graphics Update altogether; though I found almost no benchmarking difference I preferred to have it in place)

Kext Utility - drag it into your Applications/Utilities folder and from there drag it onto your dock to form a shortcut.

Instructions: Right click on 10.6.3 combo update and open it with Pacifist. Within 10.6.3's tree structure navigate your way to System/Library/Extensions and then use Pacifist to extract ATIRadeonX2000 and AtiRadeonX2000GA and AtiRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle and AtiRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle to your desktop.

Right click on Snow Leopard Graphics Update and open it with Pacifist. Within the graphics update tree structure navigate your way to System/Library/Extensions and use Pacifist to extract ATI4800Controller to your desktop  

Now we need to add our graphics cards id to two of the kexts we extracted with Pacifist Right click on ATIRadeonX2000.kext, select Show Package Contents, click on Contents, right click on Info.plist and open it in textedit. Add your graphics cards id (in my case it's 0x94b31002 - to find out yours, go to About this Mac /More info /Graphics displays - Vendor might read ATI (0X1002) Device ID might read 0X94b3, which gives you a combined id of 0x94b31002); add it to the other listed ids (below IOPCIMatch and after <string> and make sure there is a space between it and the next listed id. Then save the info.plist.

You want to do the same again to the info.plist of ATIRadeon4800Controller

Now, install 10.6.4 combo update if you aren't on 10.6.4 already and then Reboot when prompted

Now, install snow leopard graphics update RebootNow go to your hard drive and navigate to System/Library/Extensions and deleteATIRadeon4800ControllerATIRadeonX2000ATIRadeonX2000GAATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundleATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle

Open terminal and type sudo -s and then type your password when askedNow copy and paste the line below, first deleting the XXXXXX and substituting the name you gave your hard drive:- 

chmod 755 /Volumes/XXXXXX/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

Press enter/return

Now copy and paste the line below, first deleting the XXXXXX and substituting your hard drives name:- 

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/XXXXXX/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

press enter/return and then Reboot

Patience is an advantage at this point. As rafirafi mentions, it's important to install the kexts in the order below to avoid kernel panic (and being locked out)

Drag your ATI4800Controller onto Kext Utility and type in your password when asked.

Important, once Kext Utility has finished Reboot

All being well your screen resolution will have changed - don't panic at the inverted screen colours, just press Control+Alt+Command+8 (credit to DarkFlagster for that tip)

Keeping in mind it's important to do the next parts in the order listed, to avoid kernel panic and getting locked out of your desktop:- 

drag ATIRadeonX2000GA onto Kext Utility, enter password when asked, exit Kext Utility when it's done

Drag ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle onto Kext Utility, enter password when asked, exit Kext Utility when it's done

Drag ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle onto Kext Utility, enter password when asked, exit Kext Utility when it's done

Drag ATIRadeonX2000 onto Kext Utility, enter password when asked, exit Kext Utility when it's done

Quickly reboot and you're done!

Original post is below

----------------------------------------------------

Rifirafi, good on you for trying. About six months ago I tried a variety of things, including VGA, and didn't get far. To me getting VGA working seemed like a small defeat so I instead concentrated on DVI but always got to a black screen when booting up. I will try your suggestions at the weekend. A lot of people have the 4770, so any progress is good news. Thank you for posting your findings, good to hear of any further progress and thoughts.  :(

helloDetosx,

If you want DVI to work:

edit the info.plist from evoenabler and change every occurence of Motmot to Flicker (10.6.3 only)

I've made boot files for chameleon :

1/ select the one you need and replace the chameleon "boot" file

2/ boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Et voilà.

DVI

boot_PCEFI10.6_Flicker_HD4770_94b3_DVIOnly.zip

DVI->VGA

boot_PCEFI10.6_Motmot_94b3_HD4770_DVI__VGA.zip

helloDetosx,

If you want DVI to work:

edit the info.plist from evoenabler and change every occurence of Motmot to Flicker (10.6.2 only)

I've made boot files for chameleon :

1/ select the one you need and replace the chameleon "boot" file

2/ boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Et voilà.

DVI

boot_PCEFI10.6_Flicker_HD4770_94b3_DVIOnly.zip

DVI->VGA

boot_PCEFI10.6_Motmot_94b3_HD4770_DVI__VGA.zip

Great stuff. I need to read up on Motmot and Flicker. I think you answered this one but is all this dependent on 10.6.2, have you tried it with 10.6.4, also?

Is it the case that DVI is still without acceleration? I need to find my DVI to VGA adapter.

Again, thanks for persisting. You might like to bring a little sunshine to the original 4770 thread by reporting your findings there http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=164477 :)

With 10.6.4 I'm experiencing kernel panic everytime (but as I'm testing I can't be 100% sure ir's a fact).

- Motmot works 10.6.3 (10.6.2 give me flickering screen) (with accel)

-Flicker works 10.6.3 for sure (with accel)

-Cardinal works 10.6.3 for sure, give dvi->vga on the two ports, I have only one connector dvi->vga could not say if mirror works (acceleration non tested)

PS: Using only modified boots now.

My experiences so far.

I opened my EFI partition and replaced the boot file with the one from PCEFI10.6_Motmot_94b3_HD4770_DVI__VGA.zip

Used kext utility to install the evoenabler linked to above

I had added my Powercolor 4770's id (had the same id as rafirafi's card 0x94b31002) to the ATIController4800.kext Info.plist. I used kext utility to install it, then I rebooted.

I plugged the DVI to VGA into the second DVI socket with nothing in the first socket.

I was able to boot to the desktop in the screens native resolution, though it took a look time to get from the login screen to the desktop.

I had added my id 0x94b31002 to the AATIRadeonX200.kext Info.plist and now used kext utility to install it.

I rebooted.

Kernel panic. Under verbose it showed ATI X2000 as the cause. Keeping in mind that this was 10.6.4, I put my laptop's 10.6.2 hard drive into a USB caddy and tried to bootup that. This time I got a different kernel panic but relating to PIIXATA and IOATAFamily. I need to make myself a new preboot CD. I will tomorrow use cccloner to copy my laptop's 10.6.2 partition to my desktop's hard drive and try again.

Okay, now I am 10.6.2 and doing the same as my post above. I get the following when booting up in verbose

Failed to load executable for kext ATI4800

and then kernel panic

ATIRadeon x2000 (6.1.6)@0x353ba000->0x355afff

dependency IOPCIFmily (2.6)@0x2e74b000

IONDRVsupport (2.0)@0x34b96000

IOGraphicsfamily (2.0)@0x34a77000

I will keep experimenting.

Hello Destox,

in order to make it work you've got to follow this order:

first : get the ATI4800COntroller to work

then: add your id to ATIRadeonX2000 in safe mode ( boot with -x)

install with "kext utility"

The RadeonX2000 seems to lack support for our card in 10.6.4??? If you want to use 10.6.4 system you must use the 4 RadeonX2000.* from 10.6.3 (not just ATIRadeonx2000.kext).

If you have dvi connection use boot-flicker,it works. If you don't want to change boot, I will post evoenabler4770 with flicker (it's made from a dump of my video bios).

The most difficult part will certainly to find the framebuffer.

Back up ATIRadeonx2000.kext and delete it from System/Library/Extensions for now, will spare you number kernel panic :angel:

EVOenabler_4770_string_flicker.kext.zip

Hello Destox,

in order to make it work you've got to follow this order:

first : get the ATI4800COntroller to work

then: add your id to ATIRadeonX2000 in safe mode ( boot with -x)

install with "kext utility"

The RadeonX2000 seems to lack support for our card in 10.6.4??? If you want to use 10.6.4 system you must use the 4 RadeonX2000.* from 10.6.3 (not just ATIRadeonx2000.kext).

If you have dvi connection use boot-flicker,it works. If you don't want to change boot, I will post evoenabler4770 with flicker (it's made from a dump of my video bios).

The most difficult part will certainly to find the framebuffer.

Back up ATIRadeonx2000.kext and delete it from System/Library/Extensions for now, will spare you number kernel panic :blink:

EVOenabler_4770_string_flicker.kext.zip

Thanks rafirafi but though a brief test with 10.6.4 gave me native resolution, all of the screen colors were inverted! Black was white, the blue scroll bars were brown, and so on. Perhaps I need to learn how to make a dump of my Powercolor 4770's video bios?

Again, it's possible I am missing something. I hope to find more time to devote to this over the weekend. Thanks for your efforts and news.  :P

Ah yes, inverted color.... change resolution and come back to native, you should get ok.... only append with dvi, not always but often. Plug your dvi->vga should be ok. Will look if I find something as soon as I get appleHDA sound, was thinking it was due to my weird screen.

aaascreenshot20100731at.png[/img]

Reporting back that in 10.6.4, using your EVOenabler_4770_string_flicker in System/Library/Extensions along with ATI4800Controller with my id 0x94b31002 added to its Info.plist, and still using Chameleon V2 R4 in my EFI partition, gives me native screen resolution from my 4770 using DVI. When booting up to the login screen all the colours are inverted but, as you said, changing the screen resolution in Systemm Preferences - in my case I had to temporarily change it to 800x600 - and then changing it back again to 1680 x 1050 fixes that for however long I'm logged in.

So, I can now edit photographs taking advantage of the screens acurate colour gamut. If I drag windows around, and so on, there is some jagginess to the edges of windows but, without acceleration, that is to be expected. Good stuff! I have downloaded 10.6.3 combo update and will use Pacifist to extra the ATIRadeonx2000 kexts and try and get VGA working tomorrow. I updated your profile rating to five stars, thank you for your efforts! :)

Now onto VGA. In addtion to what I did in the above posts to get DVI working, I again did as rafirafi suggested to try and get VGA working with graphics acceleration.

I am in 10.6.4 ... I extracted the four RadeonX2000 kexts from 10.6.3 Combo Update using Pacifist. I added my card's id to the info plist of the ATIRadeonX2000.kext and then used Kext Utility to install each of the four kexts to System / Library / Extensions.

I then attached my VGA cable to a DVI to VGA adapter and plugged that into the first DVI socket on my graphics card. I booted up. No kernel panic. Acceleration is working, great stuff: I tried the old Dashboard trick and, sure enough, the liquid effect works when clicking on the Dashboard widgets.

Early days for me testing this but a couple of anomalies so far. The Finder panel at the top of the screen is occasionally completely transparent (I noticed that anonomly on occasions when testing my old Geforce 7300 card against updates). I haven't used VGA before on this monitor but the whites are slightly blown out, the fonts and buttons on this Firefox window and on Finder windows are a little jagged, as though in need to font smoothing. Tomorrow I will try plugging this monitor into my Mac Mini by way of some comparison. Though I appreciate my old Mini's graphics card isn't up to much, it will give me a frame of reference.

It would be great to see this working with DVI some day but, and though I will keep testing and checking back here, big thumbs up to rafirafi and any who helped him along the way. :(

I should add, just as rafirafi said, in VGA you don't get the slightly alarming inversion of screen colours during boot; no need to go to System Preferences to switch to a different screen resolution and back to normalise the colours.

I watched a DVD last night, some surfing, worked with iPhoto and Gimp. No problems. This morning, though, I noticed a slight shimmer on the edges of icons and text a -

- a few minutes later and it seems to be lessening, though and... and that shimmer has now more or less vanished. 

I just tried DVI. Notwithstanding the slightly startling inverted colors that you get until you change screen resolution to 800x600 and then back to your native resolution, DVI also appears to work - water ripple effect in Dashboard, photos show in Preview, transparency in the Finder panel at the top of the screen. Great stuff. It feels as though the computer is running a little slow, there is a very, very slight lag while typing this text; this Opera browser window judders slightly when dragged, though dragging Finder windows (even with thumbnails and window at maximum size) is fairly smooth and very smooth otherwise. A little bit of judder when scrolling this forum thread in Opera. Very live-able with. I will test it for a day and report back. 

--------------------

Unlike in Leopard, it is hard to tell in Snow Leopard whether QE/CI is working properly.The water ripple effects in Dashboard work - but starting the Chess application causes kernel panic. 

How-to:

1 Launch chess.

2 Wait.

3 Touch the mouse.

4 Kernel Panic.

It's simple. ? :P^_^

Hahaha! You have done better than anyone else I have met. From the looks of the number of people who have viewed this thread, there are probably a lot of happy people as a result of your work. :)

One more hiccup but not a big deal to me. I found sleep doesn't work; there is on screen corrupting, flashing blocks of color. Not a big deal for me but there you go.

To avoid the inverted colors at boot up, before I shut down the computer I set the graphics card to 800x600. That way I don't get inverted colors at the login screen and simply change to 1680x1050 (or whatever your screens preferred resolution setting) when booted up. The quickest way to do that is to put a shortcut in your finder panel - click on System Preferences / Click on Displays / Put a check mark in 'Show displays in menu bar' check box. That way you only have two mouse clicks before shutdown and two once booted up. A script could be written for this but I am fine doing it this way!

Hi,

I have two ATI HD 4770 plugged with HDMI-->DVI-D cable like this : http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/20090...70FML_pspc2.jpg

What i can do for have native resolution and eventuenly fully support ? In fact how i find my device id and where i put it please i had crashed many times my system...

I'm running on Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.4 with Chameleon RC5 PRE12

My config is :

MB : GA-MA790X-UD3P

CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE

GC : Crossifre of ATI HD 4770

RAM : 4GB OCZ 800Mhz

Sorry for my bad english i'm french :wacko:

I post my progress :D (Sorry in advance for my english, I'm french)

First, If you want just native resolution you can use the boot file from rafirafi (boot-Quail) and my ATI4800Controller.kext (I added my ID in info.plist). Works great with Crossfire.

Boot_file_for_HDMI_and_kext_for_native_resoluton.zip

Second, If you want acceleration working too, you need the four files like ATIRadeonX2000... from 10.6.3 update If you are ine 10.6.4. Work partialy with Crossfire te PC crash when I try to open mounted images or something.

Kexts_for_acceleration.zip

I have one problem, I have mouse lag with HDMI, in can't try with DVI-D but I d'ont have DVI-D cable and I didn't find the boot file for test with VGA.

atihd4770onsnowleopard1.png

Great to see it worked for you.

The framebuffer working with HDMI is Quail, the 'boot' from the previous post had it encoded for GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Don't know anything about the HDMI mouse lag... Been related in 4850 and 4870 posts indeed.

Tried to remove AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext?

Thanks

I was able to install the kexts with accelerator on my 10.6.4 system.

System: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L 4GB Ram 1.5TB HDD

My card: ATI HD 4770 Dual DVI

Device ID 0x94b3

Here is a snapshot of my graphic card.

post-647983-1281295344_thumb.png

Hello,

I was reading that 4770 was not supported / not tested so I get my hd 2400 agp working in leopard but I was stuck with no acceleration in SNOW.

I come back with my HD 4770.

My card:

Sapphire 4770 HD 512Mb Gddr5 dual dvi-i/tvo

Device ID: 0x94b3

Quickly:

1/ Get evoenabler for the 4890 from one other topic here (but I've tried others, till it's 48XX it seems to work), I've just changed the card name (cosmetic) and KEEP the ATY bin image part.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=55343

2/ Add my id 0x94b31002 in the ATIController4800.kext Info.plist:

reboot: make the framebuffer Motmot work BUT only with DVI->VGA.

3/ Add my id 0x94b31002 in the AATIRadeonX200.kext Info.plist

reboot.

Acceleration working.

"OpenGL Extension" shows "ATI Rendere RV470 Prototype OpenGL Engine"

OpenCL not working.

Thanks to netkas, a comment in his site makes me think it was possible.

Hope it will help

PS: If you're just interrested in right resolution you could use the ati framebuffer: it's working :

-Resolution / DVI but no acceleration:

1/ delete the injector

2/ install radeonHD.kext (framebuffer ati)

3/ boot with arch=i386

4/ full resolution, great colors

But any attempt to get acceleration closed with Kernel Panic.