[Tutorial] AMD 10.6.8 Retail Snow Leopard Guide!

sirbow2

298 posts in this topic

yes, Mohamed Khairy is right try setting all your hd's to ahci, if that doesnt work try the kext, but if you have the same hardware as me you dont need that kext.

PS, Mohamed Khairy did you get your install working?

yes, Mohamed Khairy is right try setting all your hd's to ahci, if that doesnt work try the kext, but if you have the same hardware as me you dont need that kext.

PS, Mohamed Khairy did you get your install working?

yes finally i know the cause of problem by luck when disabling all thing on MB :D

the cause is from raid

see this

18072010049.jpg

see to machine check

when the snow check my system configuration it stop on check raid

it may be aproblem on patched kernel

so i destroed my raid

and change sata to achi and modfied info of orgnial appleachiport to identify my sb750 :D inexchange of unknown standard achi controller i can name it with my name :D lol

every thing work perfect audio eth hd5770 sleep work with enabler but usb unloaded across sleep did you know asolution for this

anther thing iwant my dvb-s card work tevii s420 :( iam tring on it

thanks for question :)

you could probably fix your raid problem by a kext.

hmm i thought it unloading across sleep wasnt an error.

but id love to have that sleep kext because i cant get sleep to work! :(

i didnt see any thing on your tv tuner card for os x, but you never know it might work :D

you could probably fix your raid problem by a kext.

hmm i thought it unloading across sleep wasnt an error.

but id love to have that sleep kext because i cant get sleep to work! :(

i didnt see any thing on your tv tuner card for os x, but you never know it might work :)

i tried many kexts now i delte raid and so i dont need raid

i know the problem after sleep all usb not work means no mouse no keyboard no bluetooth ............. but the reset audio vedio eth work after sleep

this is the kexts http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=72783

but when wake up system will tell you usb consuming large power :P

about dvb-s card i want to contact with programer like voodoohda programer he might help me on it

there are an old driver but not work for me :D

nisto91,

1. how many dvd drive, hd's do you have? make sure the are all on the blue sata ports, reset your bios to optimized defaults and set every thing to AHCI

2. if that doesnt work try the rd=diskXsX command at chameleon, with the HD's in AHCI of course

3. just for the heck of it try setting all sata's to IDE mode, it happened to me before, the DVD required IDE mode while the HD install wouldnt boot unless in ahci mode

im just trying to recreate my computer setup

I dont mean to look stupid but I cant seem to find your 'My EFI Partition.zip'.

I have almost the exact same hardware as you (just a 880 instead of 890 motherboard and my graphics card is an old Nvidia 8800 gts. Still the same hex-core processor etc.) but I keep failing to get snow leopard working. I think all I need is whatever is in this 'My EFI Partition.zip'.

I am a long time mac user but this is my first hackintosh build. I did momentarily get normal leopard working but when it died (user error, trying to get SL on too and failed) I cant seem to remember how I got it to work. Any help on what you did to get Leopard working would be good if Snow Leopard fails.

I have SL installed on my AMD hackintosh but it freezes at the load screen with the apple. I think that it might have something to do with only having charmelion 2 rc5, an AMD kernel [legacy kernel 10.4.0] but none of these other files. My Extras folder is empty!

Would you be able to help me obtain the files (ktexts, plists and whatever else...) that you used. I know this pc I built is leopard compatible (if I could get that working again...) but I would prefer snow leopard.

and I defiantly don't want to get stuck with windows...

(note: I used my real mac to get it this far and so I can easily put the rest of these files right into their places if I get them)

sorry setura but i was stupid when i reuploaded the zip, it was over 10MB so it didnt upload correctly its there now

:thumbsup_anim:

yes you should have kexts in /E/E, most definatly why its not working

copy + paste the efi folder and you should be good to go but dont use the DSDT as it may not work or mess up ur system(i doubt it but you never know), the only dsdt fix you have to do (its realy easy is the RTC CMOS f, or you could just use LegacyRTC.kext instead. the RTC kext is not in the ZIP

if you you need leopard again use Ideneb 1.6 it works great as a backup OS, its what i use it for! and it has complete compatibility, except for sleep but i dont care for a backup OS

sorry for the 3 day wait for the response

Sorry about taking so long. My Firefox must have not been properly refreshing the page (so I thought that no one was replying.)

I managed to get 10.5 working with iaktos7 (only took about 40 install attempts, not kidding...) and although it not perfect its just a back up os.

Now that I have the kexts...

The first time I loaded Snow Leopard with them all it seemed to work fine (just no graphics or sound... but I found I had forgotten the VoodooHDA.kext and I might have found my 8800 gts's driver.) I did have to use -f -v (i think...) for it to start but then it kinda froze when shutting down. (well... I used it just to see what it was doing. I'm not sure if it helped or not)

Now it fails to start and it says it cannot find my kernal, or it says waiting for root device.

I still could not find a kernal so I got the legacy kernal (which my machine cannot seem to find.) I direct it to drive 3,0 (my forth hard drive, first of two partitions... correct me if that is listed wrong but it says it cannot find legacy_kernal on 3,0)

do I tell it to look for mach_kernal or the new one? and do I just put my new kernal in the root of the drive with my bootloader?

"RTC CMOS f" sorry, no idea what it is.

LegacyRTC.kext - seems to only be for 32 bit (and I use and would like to keep using 64)

What kernel do you use? (and would you recommend it? note that this is 10.6.4 my hackintosh is running as that is what I coppied from my real mac)

also.. is the dsdt the dsdt.aml in the extra folder? and if I dont use it, where would I find the replacement thingie?

0ne last thing... my bootloader is rc5 beta. Also I try the rc4 one too.

"RTC CMOS f" sorry, no idea what it is.

sorry that was supposed to be RTC CMOS fix, its for a DSDT but i think it would be easier for you to just use the Legacy RTC kext, their is a legacyRTC kext that is 64 bit(attached at the end of post)

Now it fails to start and it says it cannot find my kernal, or it says waiting for root device.

I still could not find a kernal so I got the legacy kernal (which my machine cannot seem to find.) I direct it to drive 3,0 (my forth hard drive, first of two partitions... correct me if that is listed wrong but it says it cannot find legacy_kernal on 3,0)

do I tell it to look for mach_kernal or the new one? and do I just put my new kernal in the root of the drive with my bootloader?.....

What kernel do you use? (and would you recommend it? note that this is 10.6.4 my hackintosh is running as that is what I coppied from my real mac)

use the kernel(mach_kernel) in the My EFI Partition-Update zip file in the first post of the thread

copy my com.apple.boot.plist from My EFI Partition-Update zip to your /Extra folder and place mach_kernel from the EFI zip to the root of your Partition with chameleon on it. then change "bt(0,0)mach_kernel" in the com.apple.boot.plist to search for the mach_kernel (the kernel i provided) in the partiton w/ chameleon on it.

EDIT\\ Also go to your backup OSX and type "sudo diskutil list", it will give you a list of the partition map of all your HD', post the results here and i will make sure its searching in the right place for the kernel etc. etc., also tell me where the Retail osx is installed and where Chameleon is installed so i can help

also.. is the dsdt the dsdt.aml in the extra folder? and if I dont use it, where would I find the replacement thingie?

a DSDT is DSDT.aml or DSDT.dsl. .AML means the DSDT is compiled, .DSL means uncompiled and can be edited. a DSDT isnt required and since your using the RTC kext, i dont think you need one

0ne last thing... my bootloader is rc5 beta. Also I try the rc4 one too.

the RC5 boot loader is fine to use

ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext.zip

I have everything(snow leopard + bootloader + kernal and extra folder) installed on Snowleopard II

I just realised that you might have meant the extra folder to be on EFI partition. Is that correct? (what else should be shifted to partitions other than SnowLeopard II?)

Now it says that my hibernate image is out of date (or something like that) and refuses to start. (should I try something like -v or -f?. Haven't had time to try yet today.)

and I removed the dsdt and put the other file in the extra/extentions/ folder.

post-653182-1282623414_thumb.png

I just realised that you might have meant the extra folder to be on EFI partition. Is that correct? (what else should be shifted to partitions other than SnowLeopard II?)

you need to have Extra in the root of partition that chameleon was installed on

and I removed the dsdt and put the other file in the extra/extentions/ folder.

what do you mean by "Other" file

Now it says that my hibernate image is out of date (or something like that) and refuses to start. (should I try something like -v or -f?. Haven't had time to try yet today.)

look at the boothelp file for chameleon, you can do this in the Chameleon bootloader when you start your computer, when your in bootloader put the selector over OSX and press the down arrow their should be a boot help option, select it, thier should be option somewheres that says something about hibernate image

[quote name='sirbow2' date='Aug 24 2010, 09:35 PM' post='1536518'

you need to have Extra in the root of partition that chameleon was installed on

]

I do. They are both on SnowLeoapad II.

what do you mean by "Other" file

I mean the ElliottForcelegacyRTC.kext (and I have just put it in with all the other additional kexts you posted online.

Edit:

It still cant find my kernal. I have put it down as (3,2) does that look right according to what the picture I uploaded says? I have not messed around with my drive config since then so I'm not sure whats going on.

have you done a combo update or delta update? Ex. snow 10.6.3 to snow 10.6.4

If so recopy the AMD kernel to where it was before and rename it to amd_kernel. then change the bt(x,x) command in com.apple.boot.plist accordingly, Ex. bt(x,x)mach_kernel to bt(x,x)amd_kernel and save it

Also, if the kernel is in the root of Snow Leopard II then bt(3,2) is correct, if you did as i typed above com.apple.boot.plist the final kernel command should be bt(3,2)amd_kernel

it should work :dev:

P.S. i noticed a dmg called "show Hidden Files" on your desktop in that image you posted if that does what i think it does that would be very useful (show hidden files of course :D ), could you upload it for me, please :) thanks

First off.. here it is.... I use it on my normal mac. (show hidden files.dmg that is)

My normal mac always has its updates done by combo update. I ripped the snow leopard off my normal mac using ccc (carbon copy cloner) (also usefull for backing up one mac to another etc. I recommend it). So effectively I have used the combo update for this hackintosh. (not sure if its good or not...)

quick question to add to the end of this:

both macs will see the hard drives in the same config as each other right? (that shot of terminal in normal leopard... both os x's see my snow leopard drive as 3,2 right?

Show_Hidden_Files.dmg

Hej!

I am so glad I foundyour guide!  

My configuration isnearly the same as yours!

Here it is:

Motherboard:GA-890GPA-UD3H

Cpu: phenom ii x4 955BE

Ram: 4GB DDR3 1333

Graphical card: ati4870 1GB

Sata hdd : on the sata 2 

Sata dvd driver

I wrote a few posts onhttp://www.hackint0sh.org/f179/132847.htmand http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=218607because I was able to install 10.5.4 with lawlesppc and I had notfound anything for this motherboard so I shared what I did.

I am very glad Isucceeded into doing this. The big problem I have with myinstallation is that I think it does not manage the CPU correctly.Indeed, if I ask the computer to install a program or to do a taskthat needs ressources, I will get a kernel panic. Even loading agreat number of pictures in Iphoto gives the kernel panic. Thekernel panic I get is what you usually get on a mac: just a greysquare in the middle of the screen telling you to push the powerbutton for 5 seconds and that's all. So it is a nightmare trying toinstall snow leopard. I find tricks to cut the installation in smallpackets otherwise I get a kernel panic in the middle of it.

I have tried installingideneb v1.4 10.5.6 and ideneb v1.6 10.5.8 to see if it would managethe cpu better than the lawlessppc distro. Do you get kernel panicsin your 10.5.8 ? I am able to install both. By small packets for10.5.8 and all at once for 10.5.6 from my 10.5.4 partition because Ifind it easier to install from a existing partition and because I wasnever able to enter the installer for both ideneb. I used a usb keyto install 10.5.4 and it was the only one that I installed with thismethod.

When I tried to launchthe idenebs it reboots. I suppose the bootloader can't find thekernel, don't you think? As there is no com.apple.boot.plist in10.5, I can't write where to find the kernel, ... When you weretalking about the Chameleon bootloader, can't I write something in itfor it to choose the right kernel for my 10.5 installations ? How didyou install ideneb 10.5.8 ?

On the one hand, I havenether been able to install ideneb v1.4 on this configuration but Iwas able to install it on an intel pc core 2 duo and motherboard p5qpro. So I am sad I can't do it again on this configuration!

Finally, I have triedinstalling 10.6 with my 10.5.4. I have tried your method but I get akernel panic "Failed to load extensioncom.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform". At least, with yoursolution of writing in the com.apple.boot.plist where the kernel isthe system does not reboot... I chose in the bios to put the sata as acpi but even that...

I have also triedHazard but it gives me the same result.

I have tried installing10.6 on the same hdd of the 10.5.4 but on another partition and Ihave also tried on another hdd. If I understood correctly yourguide, you install 10.6 on the same hdd as 10.5, don't you ? If it'slike this, isn't it risky to erase the EFI partition of the hdd whereyour 10.5 also is?

If you have any ideasor solutions to give me I would be really greatful!!!

ok this is simple (not trying to be mean, you confuse the {censored} out me with your writing) get me a list of all the options ( kexts kernels etc etc) avaliable in the ideneb 1.6 10.5.8 install DVD and ill tell you all the ones you need, if you select the ones i tell you it should have no issues with 10.5 on your computer, then folow the guide for Snow exactly and it should work

isn't it risky to erase the EFI partition of the hdd whereyour 10.5 also is?

it depends where chameleon is installed, if on the EFI then no you shouldn't delete the EFI but in most cases with ideneb, kalyway etc etc the boot loader is installed to the root of the OS partition not the EFI

If I understood correctly yourguide, you install 10.6 on the same hdd as 10.5, don't you ?

yes i do, it works perfectly fine but since the 10.5 and 10.6 share same HD/boot loader you have to boot the 10.5 with another bootloader on a flash drive or something as chamleon doesn't know any better and will try to load a 10.6 kernel with a 10.5 OS(if you select a OSX partition it will automatically load c.a.b.p which says load the 10.6 amd kernel,basically)

get me a list of all the options ( kexts kernels etc etc) avaliable in the ideneb 1.6 10.5.8 install DVD and ill tell you all the ones you need

I took some screen shots.

Bootloaders, kernels:

ideneb1.tiff

essential patches:

ideneb2.tiff

Fixes:

ideneb3fix.tiff

drivers/audio, chipset:

ideneb4driverschipset.tiff

drivers/network/ethernet, wireless:

ideneb5network.tiff

drivers/system management, video:

ideneb6sysmanageVideo.tiff

thanks in advance!   

Setura:

quick question to add to the end of this:

both macs will see the hard drives in the same config as each other right? (that shot of terminal in normal leopard... both os x's see my snow leopard drive as 3,2 right?

it depends if the mac uses multiple HD's, and what port the HD is on, that is if its a desktop type mac, if its a laptop then it has one HD and it will be recognized as disk0s1. not sure it would matter unless you modified the c.a.b.p in the Snow leopard install (like in "/library/preferences" or something) or if you put a c.a.b.p in the extra folder then it wouldn't matter if you put the HD in a mac as a real mac doesnt read /E as a system folder

hope that makes sense

phen123:

I took some screen shots.

ok i attached the pics in a zip, i added a red dot on the left side (where the check mark would normaly be) of the kext, kernel, bootloader etc that i would recommend to use

pics.zip

That worked thanks (since I got it off my old macbook pro I changed it to 0,2 and it found my kernal).

However, now all it ever says it hibernate image too old then restarts. I have looked all through the help thingie on the bootloader and nothing seems to work from there. I'm kinda stumped. I know it worked once then froze on shut down (before I got the drivers, but it mostly worked... somehow) so might the hibernate image be corrupted or something??? (If I can find the hibernate image thing on my real mac and stick it on the hackintosh would that help, since my macs one would be newer... since it's in use all the time, unlike this hackintosh...)

One thing I have noticed is on startup I get this cupid something something something. Just after it lists my processor. Is that supposed to be there? (might it be hampering my efforts at getting Snow working... or is it helpful?)

However, now all it ever says it hibernate image too old then restarts. I have looked all through the help thingie on the bootloader and nothing seems to work from there. I'm kinda stumped. I know it worked once then froze on shut down (before I got the drivers, but it mostly worked... somehow) so might the hibernate image be corrupted or something??? (If I can find the hibernate image thing on my real mac and stick it on the hackintosh would that help, since my macs one would be newer... since it's in use all the time, unlike this hackintosh...)

Do these in order(as it will give you a better system if step 1 works because then you can use hibernation, step 2 will also allow you to use hibernation if step 1 doesn't work, step 3 removes hibernation form your system(a last resort):

1. boot snow with -x , it should bypass the error then do this: get the latest chameleon HERE and install it, its a .pkg once you unzip it so just unzip then click on the .pkg and go through the install procedure , when it askes which HD to install on select your Snow Leopard II drive(if i remember correctly you installed cham to snow leopard II)

2. if step one doesnt work try typing this exactly how i have typed it at boot: forcewake=Yes

3. if step 2 doesnt work boot with -x (safe mode), you should be able to get in that way and open up terminal and type: sudo pmset hibernatemode 0

One thing I have noticed is on startup I get this cupid something something something. Just after it lists my processor. Is that supposed to be there? (might it be hampering my efforts at getting Snow working... or is it helpful?)

its because the AMD kernel isnt completely finished and so it doesnt have CPUID patching yet, but its nothing to worry about

Thats bad... I did try forcewake (but my machine only froze or restated).

-x .... hmmmm I'm sure I tried it but it only led to my machine restarting after complaining about my hibernate image.

I shall try again when I get home (following your steps exactly with this new charmelion) and post the results.

But as I have got snow leopard to work once I'm sure it will work again (getting close too, finally).