Is GTX 460 possible?

52 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. Is evga gtx 465 1gb possible on hackintosh didn't want to make another thread if so can some one link me I still haven't bought it.

Look three posts above you. ;)

Only the GTX465, 470 and 480 have been reported working so far, there are no reports of GTX460 working yet.

The three first cards use the original "fermi" architecture, GF100. GTX460 (and 475 which is scheduled for release in Q3 2010) uses the new, shrinked GF104 core. That's probably why the 460 isn't working yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok...When were gtx470/480 drivers implemented? With 10.6.4?

Can every 465 modded to gtx470? Im gonna get Asus gtx465 1gb, did anyone try it already?

The drivers haven't been implemented in any release, yet. Not every 465 will go to a 470, you could brick your card. You should do alot of research before you attempt it... I've read as many horror stories as success stories.

I have seen a 465 running on 10.6.4, an evga I believe.

What is the likelihood that Apple will even officially support this fermi generation of cards? I know the driver was released for the original fermi cards, but the Mac Pro reboots will now include the 5770 and 5870 as the graphics defaults. I got a little trigger happy and bought a GTX 460 without really reading on OSX compatibility. I am now worried I will need to buy another machine and pop my 9800 gtx in that box to do my Mac work.

hey guys i found a fermi gtx 480 and gtx 470 thread here on insaenly mac where also is listed a gtx 460 supported bootloader.

HERE

but im not sure if that would help because:

first: my english is not good enough for that (im from germany :unsure: )

second: im not an expert in hackintoshs and just search motherboards that are nearly fully working OOTB and the only hackintosh i got to work is an horrible virtual leopard installation

my question is if someone tried that and got SL to work and if it was able to run at full resolution (1680x1050 as an example)

or does the gtx 460 work but not at its best which i didnt need cause i want to run a dualboot with win7 for gaming.

greets from germany :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
hey guys i found a fermi gtx 480 and gtx 470 thread here on insaenly mac where also is listed a gtx 460 supported bootloader.

HERE

but im not sure if that would help because:

first: my english is not good enough for that (im from germany ;) )

second: im not an expert in hackintoshs and just search motherboards that are nearly fully working OOTB and the only hackintosh i got to work is an horrible virtual leopard installation

my question is if someone tried that and got SL to work and if it was able to run at full resolution (1680x1050 as an example)

or does the gtx 460 work but not at its best which i didnt need cause i want to run a dualboot with win7 for gaming.

greets from germany :D

Everyone try this allready, i got a Asus GTX460 768 from new egg and still nothing...

As I said that post is misleading, what the guy is really saying is that the device ID for the GTX 460 was added to the modified Chameleon bootloader that he posted, so that the bootloader recognizes it and you get to see "GTX 460" under graphics in System Profiler if you set GraphicsEnabler=y in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist. That doesn't do anything for functionality though, it's purely cosmetic. If you use any other version of Chameleon you'll just see 'unknown Nvidia' or something, and the card will still 'not work' in the same way.

There is still no support for the GTX 460 (or the new GTX450 and whatever else is coming) - not in the upcoming 10.6.5 update, and not in the September 2010 graphics drivers from nvidia.

Also you cannot flash the GTX460 with a BIOS from another Fermi card - the Fermis that work all use a different graphics chip, the GF100. It will not work so don't try it. And you/someone cannot write a driver from scratch (there's no public nvidia source code) or modify existing drivers to make it work. We have to wait for a move from Apple and Nvidia.

Is there maybe a possibility that the Bios for the GTX 460 can be altered to be identified like a 470/480 GTX?

Unfortunately, the basic problem would STILL remain. The GTX 460 uses a DIFFERENT chip than the 480/470/465. It uses the gf104 chip, NOT the gf100 chip found in the other boards. It's a better chip in a number of respects, but it is a DIFFERENT chip and is not directly compatible, so the hacked drivers that people have worked up to make the gf100 based cards work WILL NOT WORK for the gf104 chip in the 460.

It's worth noting that the drivers for the gf100 based cards really only BARELY WORK. Their performance is inferior to that of a 8800 or 9800 card.

Until either some official card with real drivers gets released or some genius comes along and writes some, YOU NEED TO BUY SOMETHING ELSE FOR A GRAPHICS CARD.

It's entirely possible that drivers will never get released for Macs for the 4xx series cards, since Apple seems to have gone with ATI for pretty much all of the current machines. The only ones that seem to still be using nVidia chips are probably doing so for specific reasons that make it impractical to use ATI graphics chips.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, use iFabio's installer to upgrade to Chameleon 2.0 RC5 (device IDs for working Fermi cards were added and they are now correctly identified by GraphicsEnabler), update to 10.6.5 and then download and install the latest OS X drivers from nvidia - in that order.

You may still need to add your video cards device ID to GF100Hal.kext. Google 'guide for all nvidia boards'.

• 1 month later...