Is GTX 460 possible?

52 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm building my new PC and plan to dual boot OSx and Windows 7 on it via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. I can't seem to find a straight answer on the GTX 460... is it possible to boot OSX with this at the current time? I know it's fairly new.

Also; I know SLi doesn't work with OSX but can I still have my SLi cable hooked up for when I boot in windows? (i.e. not having to change the setup inside to boot in osx ect. cause I plan to game heavy on windows, but I need to use logic and final cut pro.)

Thanks! ;)

I will be testing this weekend 1 GIG 460 on the way...

I have actually a Nvidia 8800GT with Leopard 10.6.2

I bought today a Nvidia GTX 460 1Go.

I will test , just change GC and test if it works....

HEY!

I'm on a same boat! But the graphic card that I'm looking at is a relatively older one ... GTX 275

Anyway regarding the dual boot is there such a thing where you can have two seperate hard drives with two different OS installed into them? (OSX on one of them and Win 7 on the other)

I have a G5 but the motherboard is kinda fried so I'm looking to do the same thing as you do.

HEY!

I'm on a same boat! But the graphic card that I'm looking at is a relatively older one ... GTX 275

Anyway regarding the dual boot is there such a thing where you can have two seperate hard drives with two different OS installed into them? (OSX on one of them and Win 7 on the other)

I have a G5 but the motherboard is kinda fried so I'm looking to do the same thing as you do.

oOo I can answer this one! Yes!

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/dua...-os-x-snow.html

That link is for dual-booting on the same drive. It's different with two HDDs, one for each OS.

That's how I run – Win7 64 on one drive, and 10.6.4 on the other. There's a few small complications when installing Windows but they're easy to avoid.

The small complications are that you have to remove ALL other hard drives while installing Windows - other than that, I use Chameleon as my bootloader and upon boot it lets me pick which OS I want after I hit a key.

Basically, this is how I went about it:

1. Install OS X

2. Unplug all hard drives except the one I'm going to install Windows on

3. Install Windows

4. Plug hard drives back in and make sure boot priority is set to my Snow Leopard disk

5. ???

6. Profit!

4. Plug hard drives back in and make sure boot priority is set to my Snow Leopard disk

Ooo, how do you make it a priority?

Anyway which would you recommend, repairing my G5 to a similar state as to it coming out of the factory or putting in PC parts to replace the spoiled motherboard. If I do that will I have to change the other parts that are still working in the G5? Like the RAM, Disk drive, Sound card, Power unit?

I just go into the BIOS and make sure that the hard disk my OS X install is on is numero uno.

Depends on which is more expensive – I don't know how much a new motherboard for a G5 runs. :blink:

You wouldn't be able to use the RAM – optical drive, maybe, unless it's IDE – those aren't very well supported. The PSU? Maybe, but I doubt it. Same for the sound card.

a majority of the time nvidia cards work, not always fully supported but they are a win situation most of the time. next year i am going to be getting a quasmio laptop whatever build is out and i will post my success of hacking it to dual boot snow leopard, I am going in that route because it's really the only laptop I like that is high performance and has NVidia, I know I may have to switch out some things and might flat out fail but it should make for an interesting blog.

Because the GTX 285 wasn't designed for it – the Power Mac doesn't have the right firmware. Apple switched to EFI when they began using Intel chips. As for why Boot Camp doesn't work on your Power Mac, that's because it requires an Intel chip. Your PPC chip would be too slow.

Because the GTX 285 wasn't designed for it – the Power Mac doesn't have the right firmware. Apple switched to EFI when they began using Intel chips. As for why Boot Camp doesn't work on your Power Mac, that's because it requires an Intel chip. Your PPC chip would be too slow.

Oh, I see.

But if I get them to upgrade the motherboard plus chip to a more current one let's say to one that is currently in one of those Mac Pro then it should work right? Though it would be costly ...

Regarding the GTX 285, there's one specially made for Mac ;)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_gefor...for_mac_us.html

I don't believe that's even physically possible – and it would be extremely expensive even if it were. You'd have to replace more than just the motherboard and CPU. And yes, I know there is a GTX 285 for the Mac – but again, it's for the Mac Pro. You cannot use Boot Camp or the GTX 285 on your Power Mac – no ifs, ands, or buts. You can't slide around that.

Here's the long and the short of it:

If you want to dual boot and run anything past the X1900 XT, you must have a Mac Pro or a hackintosh. No exceptions.

(edit: to avoid being misunderstood, you can dual boot with any Intel Mac, but obviously the only Mac with upgradeable GPUs are the Mac Pro family. Hackintoshes do not use (or need) Boot Camp)

So has anyone gotten the GTX460 to work?

I've got an EVGA GTX460 and whenever I try to boot up with it, the system reboots at the Apple "loading" screen. I can boot up with it in safe mode, but then my resolution is limited to 1024x768... :(

Help?

My EVGA 8600GTS works fine.

Comp specs:

- motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P (using the latest F11 bios)

- cpu: Intel i7 860

- ram: Patriot 1x4GB (got another 4GB stick waiting to be installed) DDR3 1333

- video: EVGA GTX460

- hd: western digital 1GB SATA3

- legit copy of Snow Leopard

Only the GTX465, 470 and 480 have been reported working so far, there are no reports of GTX460 working yet.

The three first cards use the original "fermi" architecture, GF100. GTX460 (and 475 which is scheduled for release in Q3 2010) uses the new, shrinked GF104 core. That's probably why the 460 isn't working yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_400_Series

The following post is a little bit misleading, there's a patched Chameleon bootloader that recognizes the 4xx series cards, but no one has gotten the 460 to work yet. You can boot and use your Hackintosh but there is no accelerated graphics:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=214219

/Edit

Woo, the 4xx based Quadros are out and the specs are insane.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/fermi-qua...raph,10968.html

Comments section gold:

just rember if you use a nvidia card your eyes will go cross eyed, and they will have to pull your eyes, out before you get brain damage from using the card, and hope for the best that your brain doesent explode

Darn, I didn't read the posts prior to buying my gainward gtx 460 GS. I wish I had. Well, I might as well give it a try.

Note: I read that "0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff" is for gtx 460. I just booted my hack with my gtx 460 as secondary and osx reported my device id as 0e22.

I'll give it a noob-try and report back.

/C

Edit: same result as everyone else. Can boot in with low res and no other support or screen goes black just as OSX is about to load. Havnt tried strings or dsdt though, but other report same issues so i'll waste my time on something else instead. :)

Gainward gtx 460 GS

As i am also interested in using a GTX460, i hope you find a way to get it working.

@pandaishi:

Do you want to sell your "broken" logic board?

I want to cut it into pieces for using the part of the usb and firewire connectors to build into an G5 Housing.