Mouse pointer / cursor shows up as Big Black Square

9 posts in this topic

hello, running SnowLeopard 10.6 on vmware 7.1, host is win7-x64, darwin310b6 (tools) + vmsvga122 drivers + ensoniq 102 drivers installed.

I am having a small issue with (video driver?) where when I connect via Apple Remote Desktop to another mac, the remote cursor appears as a large black square. I think it is 32x32 px.

I captured a screenshot with my iphone's camera so you can see:

2ymvsqh.png

the reason i didn't do a "normal" screenshot: whenever i try to capture the screen using my screen cap utility, the black box disappears! it goes away when vmware is not the 'active' application, and it returns as soon as it gets focus again. very weird.

anyone know whats causing this, is there some setting i can try in my .vmx file to fix it? cheers

Unfortunately, I don't have another Mac to connect to with Apple Remote Desktop to reproduce this. Can you try removing VMsvga2 and installing VMwareGfx instead to see if it happens with VMware's SVGA driver as well? Thanks.

Thanks Zenith! I can remove VMsvga2 but where do find VMwareGfx ? is it built in somewhere?

edit: ok I removed the VMsvga2 driver (using uninshall.sh script from the darwin 310b6 iso) and it seems to confirm that its out. I shut down the VM and rebooted it to be sure. I checked Remote Desktop and still there's a black square on top of the mouse cursor. so, not sure what that means. I still dont know if I should try the VMwareGfx driver like you said, but I dont know where to find it.

hello, running SnowLeopard 10.6 on vmware 7.1, host is win7-x64, darwin310b6 (tools) + vmsvga122 drivers + ensoniq 102 drivers installed.

I am having a small issue with (video driver?) where when I connect via Apple Remote Desktop to another mac, the remote cursor appears as a large black square. I think it is 32x32 px.

I captured a screenshot with my iphone's camera so you can see:

2ymvsqh.png

the reason i didn't do a "normal" screenshot: whenever i try to capture the screen using my screen cap utility, the black box disappears! it goes away when vmware is not the 'active' application, and it returns as soon as it gets focus again. very weird.

anyone know whats causing this, is there some setting i can try in my .vmx file to fix it? cheers

Why not connect via the VMware built-in VNC server rather than the one inside Mac OS X.

http://pubs.vmware.com/ws71_ace27/wwhelp/w....14.html#998753

I'm not trying to connect to my VM.

I am INSIDE my VM trying to run APPLE REMOTE DESKTOP to connect to a machine that is NOT part of my local setup. The screenshot you see there is of Apple Remote Desktop running inside my VMware OSX guest (host is Win7).

I'm not trying to connect to my VM.

I am INSIDE my VM trying to run APPLE REMOTE DESKTOP to connect to a machine that is NOT part of my local setup. The screenshot you see there is of Apple Remote Desktop running inside my VMware OSX guest (host is Win7).

OK. Sorry for the confusion. There are some VMX parameters that control cursor operations in the guest. I'll have a look and see if there is something useful for this problem.

• 1 year later...

I am having this same problem within the microsoft remote desktop connection to a windows machine.

I am using VMWare workstation 8.0.2 build-591240

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

Display info: PCI 128 MB Dev ID: 0x0405 32-bit color Vendor ID: 0x15ad

It was installed from the darwin401.iso (13MB)