Use Vista Beta 2 Boot Manager to Dual Boot

Swad

14 posts in this topic

So everyone knows that you can use OS X to dual boot Windows Vista. But how many of you have done it the other way around... booting OS X from the "doesn't play well with others" Vista? This guy has (and he mentions our site!) and he shares his story:

Windows Vista comes with a new boot manager, that is very flexible. I thought it would be nice if I could use that to specify an entry for Mac OS X. However, the technology is new and I cannot find many documentations about it. The FAQ in Microsoft’s web site does not tell you how to create a boot loader for Mac OS X. It only tells you how to create a boot loader for legacy systems like Windows XP.

I then found out that people are using a chain0 file with Vista’s boot manager to dual boot OS X and Vista for the OSx86 project. I tried that, but it did not work. The problem is that the chain0 file is not for booting Mac OS X on MacBook. What I really need is already on my MacBook. It’s called boot.efi and it’s under /usr/standalone/i386/ . The file is hidden from Finder. You will need to use Terminal application to copy it. Here are the steps...

That is very nice.

I wonder if this will help us boot os x (on hackintosh) without needing all these efi implementations and darwin bootloader.

Will this be of any use to the mac efi project?

This only works on a MAC. If using OSx86, you still have to use the Chain0 file. Which still loads the Darwin bootloader as well. So really, this isn't any good news for the PC people. One thing that you can do though...

All the XP/OSx86 dual boot tutorials tell you to use the chain0 file as a copied ntldr entry in the Vista Boot Menu. The bad part about this is when you select "Previous Version of Windows" it will also add your "Mac OS X" entry in their as well. I figured out a way to get rid of that entry but keep it so that the "Mac OS X" entry in the Vista main bootloader still works. So now, when I hit "Previous Version of Windows" it boots straight into XP instead of an XP/OSx86 submenu.

• 1 month later...

hey friends....i was able to boot mac from my vista pc....all anxious can vist my blogs:

my windows live blog

my blogspot blog

both blogs contains same info...ur wish whichever to choose...

Actually what i did , is set vista's loader to boot xp's loader ...i mean ntldr and then redirected from there to mac's loader darvin..

it was damn easy and working quite fine... for details go to my blog page...

feel free to contact....

for all this you'll need ntldr and boot.ini in your vista which can be copied from any xp running pc or can be downloaded from this page itself...i have attached...both zipped in a folder boot.zip...In the attatched boot.ini you need not to make any entry..it's all done..just unzip to C:\. If your native windows drive isn't C:\ then i am afraid to say that please edit boot.ini.

hey!!! these are protected operating system files..hidden !!! so don't forget to 'show hidden files' and unclick 'hide protected operating system files' in 'folder options' menu before moving on otherwise you won't be able to see anything.

enjoy!!!

boot.zip

By the way Vikrant, you mention in your blog:

I'm sure you meant to install osx on the partition. Unless of course you're talking about the quite old deadmoo image...

actually it doesn't matter.... i mean whatever image/installation u are using it works great!!!

and abt my installation ......m using the latest mac...and even the beta of leapord is being downloaded on one of my friend's PC....

Well, I know it doesn't matter; was just wondering about the wording. People might think simply copying the image, as you state, is sufficient. It was (somewhat) true with the deadmoo image, but nowadays the install dvds are the most available and stable out there.

"latest mac"

You mean latest osx version? or using a mac (hardware)?

Good luck with your Leopard..

Well, I know it doesn't matter; was just wondering about the wording. People might think simply copying the image, as you state, is sufficient. It was (somewhat) true with the deadmoo image, but nowadays the install dvds are the most available and stable out there.

"latest mac"

You mean latest osx version? or using a mac (hardware)?

Good luck with your Leopard..

oh...buddy why do u go so hard on wordings...well i meant OS X....as m using it on PC!!!

hope evrything clarified!!!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey i cant download boot.zip

hey friends....i was able to boot mac from my vista pc....all anxious can vist my blogs:

my windows live blog

my blogspot blog

both blogs contains same info...ur wish whichever to choose...

Actually what i did , is set vista's loader to boot xp's loader ...i mean ntldr and then redirected from there to mac's loader darvin..

it was damn easy and working quite fine... for details go to my blog page...

feel free to contact....

for all this you'll need ntldr and boot.ini in your vista which can be copied from any xp running pc or can be downloaded from this page itself...i have attached...both zipped in a folder boot.zip...In the attatched boot.ini you need not to make any entry..it's all done..just unzip to C:\. If your native windows drive isn't C:\ then i am afraid to say that please edit boot.ini.

hey!!! these are protected operating system files..hidden !!! so don't forget to 'show hidden files' and unclick 'hide protected operating system files' in 'folder options' menu before moving on otherwise you won't be able to see anything.

enjoy!!!

boot.zip