• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
As has been referenced in other threads here and here, there are ways to get Snow Leopard working on the 1001HA.

I followed the Mechdrew guides as suggested by Nico, first with the CD/DVD guide which failed over and over quite magnificently, and then with the USB guide for Mac, which also failed. However they gave me confidence that with persistence I would get things working. Checking into the thread posted by mightycrownG, I found pieces of information and a downloadable "kit" which helped enormously to fix the issues which could not be sorted properly otherwise (at least, by me).

The problem, as always, with this particular model of netbook, is the wireless. I have done as suggested in every thread I have read, and downloaded the first driver listed at the RALink download site. I've even downloaded an older driver on the offchance that it might work. Every single attempt at install is failing. The drivers in the package are for Panther, Tiger and Leopard. There *is* no Snow Leopard driver at RALink which talks to the PCI card. There are two which talk to USB cards but not to this.

So my question is this: was there a snow leopard driver once, which has now been removed? Is there anything else I can do, short of ordering a Dell Mini wireless card and installing that (mind you, I'm nearly ready to do that)?

Does anyone have an actual snow leopard driver for the wireless card in the 1001HA, or have people managed to find a way to trick the ralink driver into thinking its installing on Leopard?

At this point in the SL to netbook journey, I have ethernet, sound, camera, external keyboard and mouse, USB ports, screen all working. I have SL booting from the internal drive. But without wireless, the portability of netbook becomes a bit of a nonsense.

I'd appreciate all and any help -_-

nico517

nico517

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Location:The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
As you said it is incredibly strange that within the same make and model two different units would have such different outcomes.

I don't know that I can help you any more than I have so far for the fact that I have not run into many of the problems that you have whilst installing Snow Leopard. My install went cleanly with no errors, NetBookinstaller worked fine and did everything it needed to, and Ralink wireless utility works perfectly for me (used Leopard version and it worked straight off) without dropping connection at all as long as I quit the utility as soon as it first connects.

I hope you have luck and help from someone more knowledgeable than me in resolving your lack of wireless connection and finishing off your transition into a fully functional SL Netbook.

Nico

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Nico, I have appreciated all the help I received from you, and from mightcrownG. Without it, I wouldn't have got this far. I ended up buying a Netgear wireless dongle which had "Mac" on the side of the box. It doesnt work. It doesnt even work with my real Mac, so I'm taking it back this week.

I'm going to look into swapping out the wireless card and getting something installed that will work for me. It just doesn't make any sense to me that what works for some, doesn't work for others. Perhaps there is a difference in the card in the machine I bought, as opposed to the one you bought. Its not unheard of, from one country to the next. There you are in the UK and I am in Australia... its possible.

Anyway, I've made the decision to get a different card, the only decision now remaining is which one. I'm tempted to just spring for a real Airport card and be done with it. More expensive, but it could just be the ticket.

Again, I say thanks for all your help :D

nico517

nico517

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Location:The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
I certainly am glad to have been of assistance. I try to be as helpful as I possibly can be.

I imagine that the location has something to do with it. I was wondering, seeing as I like poking around inside any computer that I come across, do you think that you could let me know the details of the card that is already in your netbook so that we can see if it is a different location spec that is causing the problem?

When I was first considering taking on the task of OS Xifying my netbook i had decided that once I had gotten everything else working I would buy myself an Airport card to get the WiFi working, and to be honest I still will once I've sorted out things with my main computer.

Hope all goes well,

Nico

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

I certainly am glad to have been of assistance. I try to be as helpful as I possibly can be.

I imagine that the location has something to do with it. I was wondering, seeing as I like poking around inside any computer that I come across, do you think that you could let me know the details of the card that is already in your netbook so that we can see if it is a different location spec that is causing the problem?

When I was first considering taking on the task of OS Xifying my netbook i had decided that once I had gotten everything else working I would buy myself an Airport card to get the WiFi working, and to be honest I still will once I've sorted out things with my main computer.

Hope all goes well,

Nico

re the airport card. It looks too big. That is, the length of the card looks bigger than I imagine it ought to be. I keep reading half height everywhere, but the airport card is not half, as far as I can see. I must confess I am quite confused about the dimensions. I think I'll have to go and absorb a number of yourtube howto vids before I even make the purchase. I'd be really ticked off if that was as successful as my other stuff has been.

I eventually found drivers on the Netgear site (for the WG111v3) which are for Mac. Trouble is, like the ralink drivers, they are for Leopard, not Snow Leopard, and the external dongle isn't any more responsive than the internal card. I'll return the dongle today. wish I could walk into a store here and just buy a card, I detest having to buy things like this off the net.

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have now given up on this. I run SL on my iMac, and I'm finding that the installation on the netbook is as slow as a wet week. I've reverted to Ubuntu Lucid Lynx and right now am happy to have done so. I guess if the wireless issue wasn't so fraught, for me, I might have persisted, but for the next month or three at least, I'm over it. Lets see if Realtek release an appropriate driver for the default wireless card in the next few months.

inimicus

inimicus

Drunk and Angry Slurs in 31 Flavors

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
Just get a Dell 1510 half-height mini pci-e card, homie.

I feel your frustration. When you get back into the mood, PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy