My PowerMac G5 case mod

nicoSWD

23 posts in this topic

I wrote this some time ago, and finally decided to post it. :wacko:

end2.jpg

Hardware:

Hardware list removed

Software:

• Snow Leopard 10.6.0 Retail install. (Custom Boot 132 CD)
  • 10.6.7 Combo Update
  • PC EFI 10.5
  • Speedstep (enabled in dsdt.aml)
  • Kext helper

(Sleep/Wakeup/Shutdown working.)

Kexts:

• Disabler.kext
  • Fakesmc.kext
  • ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext

(Rest is patched into my dsdt.aml file.)

Process:

• First, I took out all unnecessary parts, such as the original power cables (someone said "they're more work than they're worth", and that's right), the MOBO standoffs, the fans (most of them), and separators:

2-1.jpg

2.jpg

• I wanted to reposition the original standoffs to match ATX standards, but unfortunately, the case came without the screws for them, and I was unable to find any other ones. I went to all (3) local computer stores, but they didn't have any. So I had to come up with another idea, and thus being:

1.jpg

• I got myself some Epoxy, and glued these standoffs on the appropriate locations of the case. These clips are a great alternative for screws because they'll allow me to remove the MOBO anytime without too much effort.

3.jpg

3-1.jpg

• The power supply didn't fit in nicely, so I took it out of its case.

4.jpg

• I put the same plastic standoff clips as I used for the MOBO under it, and Epoxy'd it at the bottom of the case.

4-1.jpg

• Now I needed a new way to get the fan back on top of the PSU. And here's my idea:

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

• Its power connector fits perfectly at the back of the case. I just had to make the cable inside a little longer, and connect the earth cable to the case. I used one of the existing holes at the bottom for that.

5.jpg

• The HDD fits in the real tray as well. It needs some sort of guides, though. I just used the screws I originally used in the old case.

6.jpg

7.jpg

• Since my case came with the front panel, including power button, I want to reuse this too! And since I'm cool with the guy from my local computer store, I went there and asked him for old power buttons and LEDs from other computers. He checked for me and got me a few (for free ;p). I don't care for the actual buttons or LEDs, but they come with the MOBO connectors, which is what I'm interested in.

8.jpg

(I didn't know there were LEDs for emails?)

• I cut off the LEDs and buttons, and connected the rest of the cables accordingly to the pins of the front panel.

9.jpg

connector.jpg

• I have the power button, the LED, audio jack, and the USB working. I'll probably pass on the Firewire port, as I'm never going to use it anyway. Here's the pinout I used:

18-1.jpg

(I think I someone posted this originally here, but I forgot where, so I can't give any credits)

• The DVD drive fits in its original position as well. I had to put ring washers under the left side of the drive, though. Otherwise it would be slightly crooked.

15.jpg

• If your drive won't open properly after installing it, remove the front of it.

17.jpg

19.jpg

• The G5 comes with some nice fans. And quite a lot too... 7 to be precise. I won't bother with them all, but I'll be using two at the back of the case, and maybe one of the HDD fans.

• I'll start with the fans at the back. There's a single 6-pin connector for both. Here's how it's being used:

25.jpg

There needs to be a bridge between pin 2 and 3, and another one between 3 and 6. That, if you want to use both fans. If you only want to use one fan, use one bridge.

24.jpg

• The two HDD fans have separate connectors, and each has 4 pins. We'll need a bridge on both connectors too:

26.jpg

• The fans make a horribly loud noise while running at 12V. Luckily, the molex connector offers 12V and 5V connections.

molex-pinout.png

I have mine running on 5V 'cause they were just way too loud on 12V.

• Since I'm not going to cut the back of the case, I need a way to get the two DVI ports to the back, where the original ports were. So ideally, I would have needed a single extension cable, but the shortest ones I've found were 1+ meters. And needless to say, I can't (and would not want to) force 2 meters of cable inside the case. But I found these DVI to AVG adapter cables, which were just 15cm, and therefore perfect! I don't like the use of 2 adapters concurrently, but there was no other way.

cable1.jpg

cable2.jpg

cable3.jpg

cable4.jpg

• I used regular USB extension cables. I found some nice and short ones on eBay.

usb1.jpg

usb2.jpg

• As for the audio, I'm using an external USB adapter to avoid futher dsdt patching. The D-Link (DBT-120) Bluetooth dongle works right out of the box.

audio1.jpg

audio2.jpg

• Fitting the GPU is was kind of an adventure too. Since I had no tray, I had to come up with something that holds it tight. My solution isn't precisely the prettiest, but it's stable.

gpu1.jpg

gpu2.jpg

• The cooler is huge! I was a little scared it wouldn't fit in when I bought it, but it didn't turn out to be a problem at the end.

cooler1.jpg

• And finally, this is how it looks like right now.

insanelymac-2.jpg

insanelymac-1.jpg

end2.jpg

end3.jpg

geek.png

about.png

about2.png

temp.png

Hi,

Can you post photos of the USB, sound and other cables connected to the rear of the case please (the inside part) ?

How did you manage to fix them ? did you glue it ?

thanks

Here you go:

rear.jpg

I suggest investing some money into good glue. The USB connectors don't always enter smoothly, and it needs to be stable enough to support this.

• 3 weeks later...

I always wondered why people made their mods SO complicated, yet the solution is so simple lol

Anyway, great mod! I recently bought one with everything, but I really wanna make this work right and look original as apple G5 is. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks for the feedback! :) I'm glad you all like it. It was a lot of work, but I think I did a decent job considering this is my first mod.

Before buying the case and all, I looked through a lot of other mods, seeking for inspiration. And I didn't have the guts to cut the back, so I decided to go this way.

Anyway, further feedback/critique/suggestions are welcome! :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is really the best G5 mod I could find on the web it's just perfect!

Thanks you so mutch for your time to show us this great job.

I'm planning to do this in februari next year (2011)

Hope my new hardware by then will fit in it! :)

THX!! :(

By the way whitch program do you use to check your temperatures or is it the new fakeSMC?

Why thank you!

I'm glad you liked it, but I don't think it's the best mod, to be honest. I've seen better ones here. But thanks a lot anyway!

There's a lot of room, so everything should fit, unless you mess something up. :(

Oh, and it's the new fakeSMC and iStats Menu 3.

Why thank you!

I'm glad you liked it, but I don't think it's the best mod, to be honest. I've seen better ones here. But thanks a lot anyway!

There's a lot of room, so everything should fit, unless you mess something up. :)

Hey Man thx for the honesty then, but which G5 Case Mod do you think it's the best?

I want everything on the case to work. So not cutting out parts and replace whit standard motherboard plate.

Just like you.

Why thank you!

There's a lot of room, so everything should fit, unless you mess something up. :P

Hey Man thx for the honesty then, but which G5 Case Mod do you think it's the best?

I want everything on the case to work. So not cutting out parts and replace whit standard motherboard plate.

Just like you.

• 4 weeks later...
I wrote this some time ago, and finally decided to post it. ;)

That is awsome Nico! You give the term Hackintosh a new meaning. ;)

Just out of curiosity, how did you select your hardware? Is there a list one can reference for OS X compatible hardware?

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • The G5 comes with some nice fans. And quite a lot too... 7 to be precise. I won't bother with them all, but I'll be using two at the back of the case, and maybe one of the HDD fans.

• I'll start with the fans at the back. There's a single 6-pin connector for both. Here's how it's being used:

There needs to be a bridge between pin 2 and 3, and another one between 3 and 6. That, if you want to use both fans. If you only want to use one fan, use one bridge.

• The two HDD fans have separate connectors, and each has 4 pins. We'll need a bridge on both connectors too:

• The fans make a horribly loud noise while running at 12V. Luckily, the molex connector offers 12V and 5V connections.

I have mine running on 5V 'cause they were just way too loud on 12V.

Those fans are PWM, and they run very quiet if driven by a suitable driver. I am working on making some drawings on how to do this, but it will be some time before I have it done, just thought I'll share here the information for those who wants to know. There are many threads about g5 case mods, but this is the one closest to what I want to do with yet another G5 case mod.

PS. I have the same CPU fan as you, but why do you have it blowing down instead of backwards?

yeah that's the tricky thing when wanting to preserve the Apple I/O when dealing with PC components... Are you looking at improving your concept/method or are you happy with where you are at?

Not sure if this was for me, but personally my objective is not to spend any money on doing this. I have the old G5 board and will use it in some way to make the back I/O working. Also I want it to look as close as possible to the original when done, so opening the side you should see the apple fans in their place, along with the cpu cover. I am planing on doing a complete fan controller, and it should be able to be controlled from the main board. The power on the fan connectors on a normal pc is on the low side, so I will attempt to only use the pwm signal, and have the power directly from the PSU. I have alot of old spares that I will use/misuse to make this happen. This will be my 1st G5 case mod, but on here It will probably be just another one. I have no set time frame, and will therefore take all the time I need.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, I managed to pick up a G5 Case for £20 GBP $31 usd, just one side has lots of scratches. Im 14 but however I am going ahead to mod the case, but Im going to mod the case without cutting everything, keeping in its original form. I may make a guide if anyones going to read it.

I have it all planned out in my mind,

Thanks for reading

R Jagdev

• 5 months later...

Very nice looking. Here is mine that I am still putting the finishing touches on.My specs:

G41M-ES2L

Q8400 Core2Quad

GeForce GT220 1024

4 gig ram @ 800 mhz

Genius Heatsink: works great for transcoding. My temp never gets above 103 F, with stock it was going up to 156 F

LG Disk Drive

600 Watt power supply

3 hard drives 1: Snow Leopard fully working

2: Lion fully working

3: For movies and tv shows and music to stream to my AppleTV2G with Plex

First thing I did was tear the enclosure off my new power supply and fit it nicely into the power supply box for G5

post-540706-1306267015_thumb.jpg

Then I used all the original ports in the back. They are all funtional except for the optical audio of coarse, and I changed the FireWire port to a 3rd usb. still got alittle work to do back there ;)

post-540706-1306267035_thumb.jpg

And this is the inside

post-540706-1306267069_thumb.jpg

I still have some wires to clean up around the disk drive, front I/O port and I need to shorten the audio wire thats sitting on the right side of the heatsink.

gj