Wake on Lan

18 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I've been trying to get wake on lan working on my system but it seems an impossible task even though it works fine on my Windows 7 partition. The main issue is "Wake for administrator access" is not listed in the energy saving preference pane.

My current specs are;

MyHack 1.1 install

ASUS P5QL Pro Motherboard

e8400 Core 2 Duo

-------

AttansicL1e kext.

Sleepenabler kext.

Is this a limitation of the network driver? Or something else? I've been thinking of purchasing a PCI network card that has OSX support, would this be an easier way to go?

Cheers all

Is this via a hardwired connection or wireless?

Wake on LAN appears to work on my Gigabyte EP45-DS3R motherboard and ethernet. I am interested in building a new hackintosh which will function as a 24/7 iTunes media server and Time Machine backup. Since I am usually not at home, I would prefer it to put itself to sleep and wakeup when I need it to. I can wire it straight into my router (Airport Express), so that eliminates problems with wireless.

Any thoughts on a good motherboard that has flawless sleep, WOL and will do TM and iTunes? I would remote login to administer it, although I would have it hooked to a basic keyboard and monitor. I was thinking the GA-G31-ES2L and using on-board video since I don't really care about video output or sound - just SATA, sleep, GIG-E, and WOL.

This is a hard-wired network connection.

So yours works OK? Everything sleep and network related works perfectly on my machine bar WOL, which doesn't show as an option.

What network card does your motherboard use?

Are you using the RealtekR1000SL.kext for your NIC?

If so, like me you lose the WOL option in 'energy saver'. I read that some users report WOL is actually working with some variants of this kext even though the WOL option isn't listed.

I've still not had chance to test this on my system.

FYI I'm using this version : http://www.kexts.com/view/117-realtekr1000...!!.html

D

I'll give it a go, does this kext work with the NIC built into the P5QL Pro motherboard?

I don't know what built in NIC you have without looking it up!

Can you tell me which one it is?

D

• 4 weeks later...

My GA-EX58-UD5, running Kakewalk -- no additional kexts or changes made, behaves fine to WOL packets when first put to sleep, but eventually it won't wake any longer from the WOL packets. I think when the machine switches from sleep to hibernate the on board NIC stops listening to the network. The machine still wakes perfectly though if you touch a key on the keyboard, for example.

Edit: Oh by the way, In "energy saver" section of System Preferences I have NO options for "Wake on lan." I guess the OS isn't detecting the hardware properly, go figure it's a hackintosh! But that doesn't seem to matter as the wake on lan works for a while. I do need to test tonight from my Mac Mini and my Apple Extreme Basestation if Bonjour will wake my hackintosh from hibernation sleep (the mode that WOL packets no longer do.)

I do need to test tonight from my Mac Mini and my Apple Extreme Basestation if Bonjour will wake my hackintosh from hibernation sleep (the mode that WOL packets no longer do.)

I did a test last night and I was surprised.

From the Mac Mini my hackintosh's shared services (folders) DO NOT show up when it is either in sleep or hibernation.

I guess because System Preferences -> Energy Saver has no reference to "wake on lan / demand" that my Airport Extreme Base Station doesn't Bonjour advertise the services when the machine is asleep as it doesn't think it can wake it up if another macintosh requests one of those services.

In "sleep" sending a WOL packet via broadcast from my iPhone will wake my hackintosh. In "hibernation / deep sleep" the WOL packet via broadcast DOES NOT wake it.

EDIT: Actually the WOL packet via broadcast from my iPhone wakes my hackintosh in "sleep" or "deep sleep / hibernation". The only aspect of waking up that does not work is having the Apple Extreme Base Station advertise shared services when it is sleeping. This is probably b/c my hackintosh doesn't think it CAN handle WOL so doesn't tell the AES to advertise for it when it is. Is there a fix for this? [END EDIT)

I need to start researching the sleep / wake kext enablers that have been written to see if any of them might help out my Kakewalk installation without doing any harm to an otherwise perfectly running machine.

• 10 months later...
Try this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257289

I compiled a modified version of mDNSResponder that advertises Bonjour services regardless if you can check the "wake on lan / demand" in energy saver.

I'm going to give this a try this weekend. I'll report back. And also, this is great that a YEAR later this thread is reincarnated!

Thanks.