Azureus 2.3.0.4 working

zzhu8192

38 posts in this topic

I've managed to get Azureus 2.3.0.4 to work.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Install Xcode 2.x. 2.0 is dangerous because it overwrites all x86 binaries with ppc ones. I had to rebuild the partition with x86 binaries after installing it. The reason you need this is so that you can build swt. (Carbon headers)

2) Download swt 3.1 source. Make it. It should be straightforward.

swt 3.0.2 does NOT work. Mouse clicks don't register.

3) Download the java only Azureus 2.3.0.4 jar.

4) mkdir directory to put this in. e.g. ~/azureus

5) copy swt.jar and swt-pi.jar into ~/azureus

6) copy *.jnlib into ~/azureus

7) make the following in an executable script:

CP=./Azureus2.3.0.4.jar:./swt.jar:./swt-pi.jar:./azplugins_1.5.1.jar:./azupdaterpatcher_1.6.3.jar:./Updater.jar

export CP

#echo CP=${CP}

export RES

FLAGS="-Xms64m -Xmx384m -XstartOnFirstThread"

java ${FLAGS} -cp ${CP} -Djava.library.path="." org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main &

8) Download more plugins, or copy them out of a working installation

9) Enjoy!

Eclipse 3.1 in theory should work as well, but I've not had too much luck with it. I've gotten it to run once, but after that it never ran again. Strange.

BTW, I didn't know how to move an article, so I reposted this. The original article was under successes.

Here it is. I've been having trouble attaching binaries for some reason. I browse to the file, then press the "Add This Attachment" button. It takes a long time, as though it's uploading, and then nothing happens. (Seems to be a size problem. When I included the 5 meg Azureus2.3.0.4.jar, the total size was 6.8megs. It wouldn't let me upload it. So I took out the Azureus2.3.0.4.jar, which anyone can download)

Update: This one does NOT have the

Azureus2.3.0.4.jar

Instructions:

1) unzip this file into a directory e.g. azureusx86/

2) Download the JAVA only jar from Azureus's website, and put it into this directory. The file should and must be named: Azureus2.3.0.4.jar.

3) run ./azureus

(this is a shell script with appropriate classpaths and defines)

azx86woj.zip

Here it is.  I've been having trouble attaching binaries for some reason.  I browse to the file, then press the "Add This Attachment" button.  It takes a long time, as though it's uploading, and then nothing happens.  (Seems to be a size problem.  When I included the 5 meg Azureus2.3.0.4.jar, the total size was 6.8megs.  It wouldn't let me upload it.  So I took out the Azureus2.3.0.4.jar, which anyone can download)

Update:  This one does NOT have the

Azureus2.3.0.4.jar

Instructions:

1)  unzip this file into a directory e.g. azureusx86/

2)    Download the JAVA only jar from Azureus's website, and put it into this directory.  The file should and must be named: Azureus2.3.0.4.jar.

3)  run ./azureus

Following this i got it working here

thanks alot man

I ran this on a P4, with MAXX 0.5c fully patched (i.e. kernel + patched binaries + TPM)

Also, make sure you are running the original Intel MACOS JDK.

i.e. the Intel 1.4.2_07 that came with the kit.

If you downloaded/installed a different 1.4 or 1.5 JRE/JDK from Apple, it's most likely compiled for PPC and JITS to PPC. AFAIK, these are very unstable, as they must be confusing rosetta.

Instructions:

1)  unzip this file into a directory e.g. azureusx86/

2)    Download the JAVA only jar from Azureus's website, and put it into this directory.  The file should and must be named: Azureus2.3.0.4.jar.

3)  run ./azureus

I don't understand the last step (3). What do I have to run where? Is this a terminal command or something (I'm still a relatively new to Unix command line related stuff)?

I don't understand the last step (3). What do I have to run where? Is this a terminal command or something (I'm still a relatively new to Unix command line related stuff)?

Me too!

go tou your applications folder:

cd /applications

then

cd /azureusfolder

then ./azureus

i did it like this.

First off I would like to thank zzhu8192 for all the hard work, it's great to finally be able to run Azurues in some form under OSx86. One thing that bugged me though is the need to execute the shell script from a command line, I would much prefer to be able to launch Azureus from the dashboard like most other apps. I'm still kind of new to the OSX game and was unable to find a way to run the azureus script from it's icon so I gave myself a quick "teach yourself applescript" course and this is what I came up with:

set path_to_azureus to "/Applications/Azureus"
set CP to path_to_azureus & "/Azureus2.3.0.4.jar"
set CP to CP & ":" & path_to_azureus & "/swt.jar"
set CP to CP & ":" & path_to_azureus & "/swt-pi.jar"
set CP to CP & ":" & path_to_azureus & "/Azureus.app/Contents/plugins/azplugins/azplugins_1.5.1.jar"
set CP to CP & ":" & path_to_azureus & "/Azureus.app/Contents/plugins/azupdater/azupdaterpatcher_1.6.3.jar"
set CP to CP & ":" & path_to_azureus & "/Azureus.app/Contents/plugins/azplugins/Updater.jar"
do shell script "java -Xms64m -Xmx384m -XstartOnFirstThread -cp " & CP & " -Djava.library.path=" & path_to_azureus & " org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main"

I made several attempts to streamline the code but it kept breaking so this is the best I could whip up. I rebuilt this script as an .app package and combined it with the package included in zzhu8192's previous post and now have a working .app file that I can add to my dashboard and launch azureus. If anyone can optimize my code and build a better package, perhaps eliminating the run script confirmation dialoge and adding the blue frog icon, please do.

I have included my build as an attachment.

On another note, one problem I am having with azureus is that when I resize the window the contents do not get redrawn. However if I resize the window and then reload azureus the contents are drawn with the new size. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I have upgraded my Java to 5.0 from apple and I have heard it may cause some issues but honestly this is the only problem I seem to be having.

-----

EDIT: 09/13/2005 - Slight clean up of code, and merged portions of .app package from sourceforge. We now have the pretty blue frog for our Dock :)

-----

EDIT: 09/20/2005 - See zzhu8192's later post, his newer package works much better than mine. Attachement removed.

not working here :(

here's the terminal:

dragan-dukics-computer:/Applications/Azureus gec$ Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/gudy/azureus2/ui/swt/Main

and here's the log:

Mac OS X Version 10.4.1 (Build 8B1025)
2005-09-14 09:48:30 +0200
Sep 14 09:48:32 dragan-dukics-computer mDNSResponder: Adding browse domain local.
2005-09-14 09:48:35.247 SystemUIServer[99] lang is:en
Java for ppc cannot run in this configuration.
Please consult documentation.
-[NSJavaVirtualMachine initWithClassPath:] cannot instantiate a Java virtual machine
2005-09-14 09:48:58.518 Azureus[206] Unknown class `ApplicationDelegate' in nib file, using `NSObject' instead.
2005-09-14 09:52:30.385 DashboardClient[249] com.apple.widget.weather: Fetching data failed, no <CurrentConditions>
Sep 14 10:12:00 dragan-dukics-computer crashdump[283]: Microsoft Database Daemon crashed
Sep 14 10:12:02 dragan-dukics-computer crashdump[283]: crash report written to: /Users/gec/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Microsoft Database Daemon.crash.log

this smels to me that ms office replaced my original java.

any ideas?

Where the F*CK is the swt-pi.jar file?

It's not on either of the packages, and I downloaded the source from the eclipse site and it only built swt.jar and some jnlib...

swt-pi.jar does not seem to be included in SWT 3.1.

The classpath must have been included when I was experimenting with SWT 3.0.2, which

did include swt-pi.jar. It's harmelss to have it included in the classpath though.

but I also have the

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/gudy/azureus2/ui/swt/Main

error ;)

Let me preface this by saying that I don't have much experience with MacOS or applescript.

I have been trying to make this into an apple script application bundle so that it's click-startable

with the frog icon as well. However, I've been getting similar errors.

It seems that either the MacOS JVM is wierd about environment variables, or the applescript execution environment does something strange to the shell. EIther way, my original instructions that runs the shell script should always work; see the first attachment on this thread. Hopefully I (or someone more versed with MacOS development) can come up with an application bundle that works all the time. I've gotten closer, but still have trouble with AppleScript. Hopefully this is not a bug in this release of the OS. Unfortunately, I don't have the expertise to speculate on this.

I've had some success with this now. I figured out that the errors I were getting were due to permission problems.

Try this zip and these instructions:

1) If you don't already have Azureus2.3.0.4.jar, download the java only Azureus2.3.0.4 jar

from the Azureus home page.

2) Download attached Azureus.app.zip into /Applications

unzip Azureus.app.zip into /Applications

**** Warning: It MUST be unzip'd or copied into /Applications. Otherwise it will not work.

The Applescript used to run this has the path hardcoded to /Applications/Azureus.app

By Default, it might unzip to the Desktop or your Home directory. You MUST copy the

entire folder into the Applications folder.

3) Put Azureus2.3.0.4.jar that you downloaded into /Applications/Azureus.app

You can do this by right-clicking on the Frog icon and selecting

"Show Package Contents"

That should bring up a folder containing all the files in the app bundle. Just drag

Azureus2.3.0.4.jar into this folder.

If you still get the error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/gudy/azureus2/ui/swt/Main

1) you did not unzip the package into the right place

2) you did not add the Azureus2.3.0.4.jar into the package contents.

Azureus.app.zip

i have bad experiences here

azureus + rosetta = system killer, ram eater, pearpc like, etc B) (run the both in the same time, e.g: many ppc apps + azureus )

It appears that the current x86 JVM for MacOS X is not optimized enough. It takes much more memory than it should, and doesn't run too fast. You should not have to run rosetta with Azureus though, as it's Java. Only the launcher is native. It's funny since the launcher stub takes 80 megs. If you use the shell script way to start it, then there will be no rosetta usage at all.

I don't know why it takes 80 megs for app whose sole purpose is to launch another app; probably because all the libs that all MacOSX carbon apps include. You could literally write that launcher in C in 1 line. I thought Windows was bad.....