ASUS 1001HA Simple Guide (Everything is working)

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

jawj

jawj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I even use patched original kexts from 10.6.5 for GMA now. This have some consequences though. I had to add PNLF device to dsdt, because backlight wasn't turning on after sleep.

Can you explain -- or point me to an explanation of -- how you patch the 10.6.5 GMA950 kexts? And how you add the PNLF device?

Or just tell me to wait until you have a definitively updated guide that includes those steps in it. :P

Thanks.

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Can you explain -- or point me to an explanation of -- how you patch the 10.6.5 GMA950 kexts? And how you add the PNLF device?

Or just tell me to wait until you have a definitively updated guide that includes those steps in it. :)

Thanks.

Here you go:
For patched kexts see first post here: http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1408979 (download only pack for 10.6.5)
And for PNLF here (for example): http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1481005
I think you can add it anywhere, as long as it's inside _SB scope. I've put it at the end.

Edit:
Ah, I remembered one thing: to use that kexts you need to have chameleon with gma graphics enabler AFAIR. I don't know if that chameleon version that comes with NBI has it. I use rev. 616, you can find it in this thread.

Update 22.11.2010:

There's a way to use native, stock, unmodified, non-patched graphic kexts :D You need to use chameleon at least in version I've provided, though. That version has kext patching module, that patches kexts when they're loaded. But it can patch only those kexts, that are inside mkext. And graphic kexts normally are not. So you need to manually add graphic kexts (and their dependencies) when generating mkext (using kextcache). Something along these lines:
sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /System/Libraries/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Libraries/Extensions /System/Libraries/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext /System/Libraries/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /System/Libraries/Extensions/IOGraphicsFamily.kext /System/Libraries/Extensions/IONDRVSupport.kext
I write this from memory, so please do check it before use. Of course you need to generate it this way each time from now on. It's tested and it works.

Other things:
I've hacked AppleBacklight kext to set initial brightness at boot. Unfortunately this means manual patching of this kext. I'm still looking for a better way to do it, but I'm not sure it could be done. Also, I've modified my AsusHotKeys (soon to be renamed) to allow hardware hotkeys (Fn+F<something>) to control brightness via OSX. It works now, showing sun sign and brightness level.
Also, after updating to 10.6.5 deepsleep seems to work.
I've cleaned most of the Extra, leaving only whats really needed. I've also got rid of legacy kexts (like acpiinjector), creating my new, combined Legacy1001HA.kext. It injects my custom model (MacBook 2,2) for SMC (native PM), as well as other things.
Now I'll probably look into integrating ps2controller together with keyboard and trackpad, and move it to Extra.
I'll post my configurations, kexts, and other files when I finally settle with all of this.

Happy hacking.

GoZy

GoZy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,
Umm i am stuck.
i think i know what i am doing but i dont have the updateextra.app installed in the Extra Folder.
How would i go about getting this?
Cheers Gozy

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Hey,
Umm i am stuck.
i think i know what i am doing but i dont have the updateextra.app installed in the Extra Folder.
How would i go about getting this?
Cheers Gozy

Have you actually run NetbookInstaller after installation? FWIW it then should copy its files to Extra. If it fails, you can copy UpdateExtra from inside of NBI ("Show Package Content" -> Contents/Resources/SupportFiles/machine/General/ExtraFiles).

Update:

Madames et Monsieurs, may I present you with an Eee dedicated app:

Posted Image

It'll show you if you're sucessfully running p & c states, control your netbook's fan speed and set its display's brightness. Only those settings that are stored by the BIOS itself are permanent, other are reset to default after reboot. To use this application you need to install driver, EeeACPI.kext. This is AsusHotKeys.kext after renaming and with new features, that allows of controlling your Eee and gathering statistics. I've included my version of ApplePS2Controller as well, because EeeACPI works best with it (can enable/disable trackpad with hotkey, and some hotkeys work by emulating key combinations). Both can be installed to Extra now, no need to put it into SLE.

Package with app, kexts and my dsdt for reference: Attached File  101124.dmg   399.33KB   154 downloads
With EeeACPI.kext you also get hardware hotkeys (Fn + <key>), brightness keys are now adapted to control display's brightness via OSX. This works, if you've succesfully enabled PNLF device.

Oh, and be carefull with that performance profile setting, it doesn't go well with native PM, especially "power-saving mode".

mnsouli

mnsouli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Have you actually run NetbookInstaller after installation? FWIW it then should copy its files to Extra. If it fails, you can copy UpdateExtra from inside of NBI ("Show Package Content" -> Contents/Resources/SupportFiles/machine/General/ExtraFiles).

Update:

Madames et Monsieurs, may I present you with an Eee dedicated app:

Posted Image

It'll show you if you're sucessfully running p & c states, control your netbook's fan speed and set its display's brightness. Only those settings that are stored by the BIOS itself are permanent, other are reset to default after reboot. To use this application you need to install driver, EeeACPI.kext. This is AsusHotKeys.kext after renaming and with new features, that allows of controlling your Eee and gathering statistics. I've included my version of ApplePS2Controller as well, because EeeACPI works best with it (can enable/disable trackpad with hotkey, and some hotkeys work by emulating key combinations). Both can be installed to Extra now, no need to put it into SLE.

Package with app, kexts and my dsdt for reference: Attached File  101124.dmg   399.33KB   154 downloads
With EeeACPI.kext you also get hardware hotkeys (Fn + <key>), brightness keys are now adapted to control display's brightness via OSX. This works, if you've succesfully enabled PNLF device.

Oh, and be carefull with that performance profile setting, it doesn't go well with native PM, especially "power-saving mode".

Thanks for your hard work, i ve managed to have a perfect eee mac following your instructions and using your files.
there is still one thing:
Can you upload your hacked applebacklight kext to set the initial backlight not to maximum?

Once again thank you all for this active thread and your hard work.

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Thanks for your hard work, i ve managed to have a perfect eee mac following your instructions and using your files.
there is still one thing:
Can you upload your hacked applebacklight kext to set the initial backlight not to maximum?

Once again thank you all for this active thread and your hard work.

Of course you can have it, here you go: Attached File  AppleBacklight_101126.dmg   50.14KB   57 downloads
If you want to change initial brightness level, you need to edit AppleBacklight binary inside of *this* kext. It's an unsigned int at 0x245d offset. I've set it to 0x70, for me it's ok. Max value is 0x138 (so: 38 01 00 00 - LSB to MSB).

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Sorry that i was away and i did not have time to update this guild. I hope the 1001HA users can report their experiences so far, Have you tired the new netbookinstaller? Whats the Pros and Cons? Any issue with current set up?
I updated to 10.6.5 and there are a few of issues, 1st. screen came back with the lowest brightness after wake up from sleep. I guess this can be fixed with the PNLF fix in DSDT.
2nd. The fan on my 1001HA seems to be died or working with lowest speed which cause 10 degrees higher than before. The Native powermanagement is functioning, The processor is stepping and i checked IOreg, both P n C states are working.

@Bmkx
The EEEControl program looks very promising! did u write it yourself? Good work man.
Can you please upload all the Kexts which u use after retail installation as well as boot parameters and Smbios, thus i can cut off the unnecessary kext, and put a better sets for 10.6.5. Your files are just amazing, i m really happy with them.
I recommend everyone to try them out.

tinbie

tinbie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My installation screen of Mac os X is stuck at 11min for like 20min now... Should I do anything ?

Greatings

tinbie

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Sorry for late reply.

The EEEControl program looks very promising! did u write it yourself? Good work man.

Thanks.

Can you please upload all the Kexts which u use after retail installation as well as boot parameters and Smbios, thus i can cut off the unnecessary kext, and put a better sets for 10.6.5. Your files are just amazing, i m really happy with them.

Sure, here's my whole content of Extra folder (besides the cache :)): Attached File  extra_110104.dmg   527.76KB   67 downloads
And here's "boot" file (placed in root of mac partition, part of chameleon): Attached File  boot_110104.zip   58.93KB   33 downloads
OK, you get what you ask for :) Now quick explanation:
1. I use modified version of Meklort's excellent chameleon bootloader. I got rid of things I don't use and recompiled it. Perhaps the biggest change is that now my chameleon won't update Extra after updating OS X. I need to do it by hand and that is what I prefer. Of course you don't need to use *this* chameleon.
2. For updating kext caches I wrote simple scripts. They're in Extra/bin. Run them from Terminal (use update_sle2 instead of update_sle if you want to use stock graphic kexts and patch them on-the-fly with chameleon).
3. Legacy1001HA.kext is my legacy kext that creates MacBook2,2 profile for native PM (I use it in smbios.plist as my "mac" model now), as well as injects information about ACPI (this way I got rid of that ACPIInject kext).
4. In SLE I have only VoodooHDA and network extra kexts (don't remember the name, from your guide AFAIR). Graphic kexts are patched on-the-fly when system boots, so they're both in stock, 10.6.5 versions. Oh, and my patched version of AppleBacklight is also in SLE :)

There may be more but I don't remember now. It works flawlessly for me as it is now, so I don't actively work on this anymore. And probably it'll stay as it is, until some update breaks something. But if you have some troubles I'll try to help if I can and have time.

I recommend everyone to try them out.

Ehm, only if you feel brave enough :D

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

My installation screen of Mac os X is stuck at 11min for like 20min now... Should I do anything ?

Greatings

tinbie

IIRC this is normal on this netbook if you use NBI. Installation hangs on generating DSDT. But whole system is installed before this happens, so you can abort installation and reboot. Then proceed with the rest of the guide.

tinbie

tinbie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I just managed to boot into 10.6.6 after following this guide (2 days ago) and have a clean install of 10.6.3 I updated succesfully to 10.6.6

What is working :
All fn keys. Also the Volume keys work now w/o any problem.

What is NOT working :
none :angry2:
Except I think you shouldnt use Fn+Zz cuz on awaken the mouse cursor dissapears :/

At the moment a second reboot and system is hanging on dashboard.
3th time and it is broken :o

Edit :
Okay so I put in my install usb stick (which actually is a SD card). Booted into the repair menu (install menu).
Disk utilty -> netbookinstaller let it run.. and wait ! 10.6.6 is fully working

Guess you should disable fn+Zzz and just dont use it.

Installed the AR9285 kext from Kyteflyer's link again and my AR9285 is recognized as an airport card again.

So the update is succesfully to 10.6.6 only thing is a long boot time. But I have to say its nothing compared to 10.6.3 which i had be4

lolo69100

lolo69100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
@ tinbie:

thank you so much for your feedback. Would you mind sharing a bit more with the community like for example:
- dsdt file you use ?
- a list of you S/L/E and /EXTRA if using so ?
- which issue of NBI and NBM did you use ?
- all other tweaks you used (e.g. a patched kernel for ATOM support,...)

I know this is a lot to ask for, sorry for that (remark: you are not forced to reply :( ), but regarding my very small experience and lack of skills I do not feel quite confident with an upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6. I tried to upgrade to 10.6.5 but hoppefully I had a clonezilla backup made just before upgrading, because it was unsuccessfull :( .

Thank you again.

Volhout

Volhout

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
All,

I stumbled upon this thread accidentally, and I am curious how stable this solution is (with the original Ralink chip ?). Please understand that I tried various linux distro's on my 1001HA, distro's that where told to work fine, but once you play with them more than the average 30 minutes that the reviewers take, they appear less desirable.

So.... is anyone actually using this software on a day to day basis ?? Or is this just meant to be a challenge to the technical people on this forum.

Volhout

tinbie

tinbie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

@ tinbie:

thank you so much for your feedback. Would you mind sharing a bit more with the community like for example:
- dsdt file you use ?
- a list of you S/L/E and /EXTRA if using so ?
- which issue of NBI and NBM did you use ?
- all other tweaks you used (e.g. a patched kernel for ATOM support,...)

I know this is a lot to ask for, sorry for that (remark: you are not forced to reply :D ), but regarding my very small experience and lack of skills I do not feel quite confident with an upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6. I tried to upgrade to 10.6.5 but hoppefully I had a clonezilla backup made just before upgrading, because it was unsuccessfull :( .

Thank you again.

Hey there,

it is actually explained in my first post. I used the entire guide and started using a 10.6.3 retail copy.
Did everything as it is described down in the first post.
I also installed the AsusBacklightPanel and the EEEapp as it is described in this thread.

Then I updated to 10.6.6 without any problems. Fn shortcut keys work now (better then 10.6.3)
Only program that was installed on 10.6.3 was adium... So I had nothing to loose.
Only thing was that it doenst shut down properly but i'm installing OpenHalrtRestart.kext again and it will solve the problem. (edit : it solved the problem and shut down works also perfectly).

ty !
edit :

oh sorry I used NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4 RC1 & NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 RC1

Gts.

tinbie

All,

I stumbled upon this thread accidentally, and I am curious how stable this solution is (with the original Ralink chip ?). Please understand that I tried various linux distro's on my 1001HA, distro's that where told to work fine, but once you play with them more than the average 30 minutes that the reviewers take, they appear less desirable.

So.... is anyone actually using this software on a day to day basis ?? Or is this just meant to be a challenge to the technical people on this forum.

Volhout

I installed it to a brand new 1001ha with 250gb HD and 1gb RAM. I can confirm you that you can use it on a daily basis as it is pretty stable. Also managed to update to 10.6.6 after following this tut and the entire thread.

I'm not as techy as most ppl on the board are but can confirm you this is an easy to follow tut and even the update is.
So.. why not try it ?

mm in NC

mm in NC

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
First of all I want to thank all the regular posters on this forum, you have been a tremendous help!

I am having problems ethernet and brightness control and internal mic. I am running OS 10.6.5 installed using myhackinstaller and combo updates all the way to 6.5. It is running on a 1001HAB with 1gig and the intel atom 1.6 ghz processor. I have used some of the 1001HA installs to get things working right. The best one so far was BMKX's iControlMyEee! It fixed my volume short cuts as well as all of the other FN+(key). Of course with the exception of the brightness control. I have reinstalled the ktext from this thread (http://www.insanelym...9) and rebooted and still no joy.

As for the ethernet I cant tell you much (this is my wife's computer, built for her) other then she plugged it in and it didn't work. Stock Wifi works great but is a problem when Wifi isn't available. Suggestions?

Lastly the internal mic is giving me problems and this one is tricky. The only time it doesn't work is when using iChat. On the system profile-->sounds tab it shows that it is picking up sound and even using photo booth the mic works when making videos. For some reason though with Skype or iChat no dice. You can receive sound but like I said no sound goes out.

Thanks for all your help in advance!
~Mike

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Of course with the exception of the brightness control. I have reinstalled the ktext from this thread (http://www.insanelym...9) and rebooted and still no joy.

If you use my kexts (for shortcuts, etc.) you also need to use my dsdt. This should give you brightness control.

As for the ethernet I cant tell you much (this is my wife's computer, built for her) other then she plugged it in and it didn't work. Stock Wifi works great but is a problem when Wifi isn't available. Suggestions?

I've used wired ethernet only once, after fresh installation. This needs a kext (don't remember the name, sorry) from mightycrown's guide and it needs to be in S/L/E AFAIR. Now I use wifi exclusively, so won't help you much.

Lastly the internal mic is giving me problems and this one is tricky. The only time it doesn't work is when using iChat. On the system profile-->sounds tab it shows that it is picking up sound and even using photo booth the mic works when making videos. For some reason though with Skype or iChat no dice. You can receive sound but like I said no sound goes out.

Don't know what kext you use for sound, I personally use VoodooHDA 2.7.2. Mic was working in Skype AFAIR, but as I use my netbook almost exclusively for web/mail/im I'm not sure now. Perhaps I'll check it again. And have you checked recording volume level in sound prefs (VoodooHDA prefs if you use it)?

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
To BMKX
I have updated the guild a little bit with your work. Hopefully the integration is well explained. I did not have much time to write a complete guild.
I m running to a small issue, i suddenly lost mouse and trackpad preference panel, the panel is still in settings but it says there is no mouse or trackpad found. Weird!

G0t!3r

G0t!3r

Asus'er !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:ReefTank, travels...
Very good topic !!! My Asus 1001HA works perfectly with 10.6.6 !!! I have just modified the speedstep (dropssdt=No with Pstates & cstates generates) and i use voodooPS2 for use scrolling and it's reconized by original trackpad.prefane.

I have just 1 problem ! My battery icon don't work (battery with cross) with your kext ?! I have tested VoodooBattery.kext but it's the same thing ! what Can i do ?

Sorry for my english i'm french !

Battery control resolved, this is the dsdt (2gB, i have only 1)

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

I m running to a small issue, i suddenly lost mouse and trackpad preference panel, the panel is still in settings but it says there is no mouse or trackpad found. Weird!

Yeah, I've found that 10.6.5 update has changed the Trackpad.prefPane, updating it from 2.6 to 2.8 version. Unfortunately the old trick with editing Info.plist doesn't work anymore. In fact there's no more a key that needed editing at all. But then I tried to simply replace it with the old pref pane from 10.6.4 and it seems to be working for now.

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Yeah, I've found that 10.6.5 update has changed the Trackpad.prefPane, updating it from 2.6 to 2.8 version. Unfortunately the old trick with editing Info.plist doesn't work anymore. In fact there's no more a key that needed editing at all. But then I tried to simply replace it with the old pref pane from 10.6.4 and it seems to be working for now.

is it possible for u to upload your 10.6.4 preferences panel for both mouse and trackpad. I did not save it before i updated. Thanks.
BTW, are you interested in overclocking this machine? i was searching, but there is no solution for OSX. So i guess we must mod the bios, and such a function is included in 1101HAs bios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy