ASUS 1001HA Simple Guide (Everything is working)

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
@baldrick45
Hello.
Did you delete the C P states definition in ur DSDT. comment off those code if you have them.
Learn a few rescue methods such as booting to safe mode with -x, single user mode -s, recovery=y if you use nebookinstaller as well as Terminal in Retail install USB chip. These mode will let boot up and delete bad files. always check Kernel log to see what is going on.

Sorry that i wont be available this week and comming one. Just got some tasks from the company, but i will update whenever i found something new.

@bmkx
Hello
Sorry that i still have not tried your files. I was trying to find a better way to auto deepsleep when battery low, was able to achieve it by a bin/sh script and Deepsleep utility which i posted earlier. I will post the script so that you can see if there is any room for improvement. I accidentally messed up my P C states while i was trying deepsleep. It just won't recovery no matter what i do. Tried to install new kernel, bootloader, kext permission , cache and so on. CPU stays at the lowest frequency when Pstate is enabled and it won't adjust, just make my machine runing like a Pentium 3! Lol.

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

thanks for the files. I'll take a look at them later. At first glance your DSDT file appears to be very different from mine. Did you spend a long time tweaking it?

I've just done some fixes, basing on instructions from this, or other forums. IIRC I've started with dsdt from mightycrown's guide.

I wonder if you could explain how you did your initial install of Snow Leopard.

Installed retail 10.6 patched with NBM from usb stick, then follow mightycrown's guide (thanks :D). Installed latest NBI. Upgraded to 10.6.2 (combo), then to 10.6.4 (combo as well) and did software update to be fully up-to-date. AFAIR worst was upgrading to 10.6.4, which have breaked a lot of things.

As you know, NBI uses a general extensions folder inside Extra. I presume the NBI version of Chameleon looks for this. Trying to think about what went wrong last night, it was as if the new Meklort Chameleon only checked Extra and so found no kexts or mkext file to pull in.

No, that's not it, I still use NBI's folders scheme. That's why I installed chameleon from meklort's branch, and not general one. Besides, IIRC mkext is in Extra.

I'd like to just have a working netbook for a while

Well yes, that's a nice thing to have :wacko:

Thanks

NP

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Auto deepsleep when bat low. The script and the utility are attached. How to is in Readme.
Please report the result.
Note: I m assuming that you have already got Deepsleep to work:)

Attached Files

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
MightyCrown

I just got my dual-boot back so I've chilled out a bit from last night.

Can you please confirm how exactly you installed the Chameleon RC5 and whether you changed anything else before re-booting.

Based on BMKX comments I should have been fine following his instructions but, as best I can explain it, when I rebooted (FakeSMC now in S/L/E as per your earlier instructions) I got in to OSX but it was as if none of my other kexts in E/GE had been detected hence I lost PS2 keyboard / trackpad, Airport (no 80211 kext) no battery monitor (my DSDT not picked up). etc etc. I can't understand why this would have happened

Is there a Cham configuration file anywhere which details the paths to look for additional kexts at start-up?

I hope there is something obvious I can try but with 1 hr-2hrs work to recover from the mess, I don't want to get it wrong again.

Even if I play it cautious now and wait for the next NBI release, my offer to write up a revised guide for you still stands. Let me know if you have any changes you want to make at this stage or if you want some more time to perfect your setup before revising again.

Thanks - b45

PS - Have you found any documentation anywhere on how Meklorts new Chameleon works? Even if its buried in a long thread somewhere, I really want to start learning a bit about it. The voodooproject forum and SVN repo show that everything is very active but the various threads are high on technical discussions and light on any explanation of how it all hangs together.....

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

MightyCrown

I just got my dual-boot back so I've chilled out a bit from last night.

Can you please confirm how exactly you installed the Chameleon RC5 and whether you changed anything else before re-booting.

Based on BMKX comments I should have been fine following his instructions but, as best I can explain it, when I rebooted (FakeSMC now in S/L/E as per your earlier instructions) I got in to OSX but it was as if none of my other kexts in E/GE had been detected hence I lost PS2 keyboard / trackpad, Airport (no 80211 kext) no battery monitor (my DSDT not picked up). etc etc. I can't understand why this would have happened

Is there a Cham configuration file anywhere which details the paths to look for additional kexts at start-up?

I hope there is something obvious I can try but with 1 hr-2hrs work to recover from the mess, I don't want to get it wrong again.

Even if I play it cautious now and wait for the next NBI release, my offer to write up a revised guide for you still stands. Let me know if you have any changes you want to make at this stage or if you want some more time to perfect your setup before revising again.

Thanks - b45

PS - Have you found any documentation anywhere on how Meklorts new Chameleon works? Even if its buried in a long thread somewhere, I really want to start learning a bit about it. The voodooproject forum and SVN repo show that everything is very active but the various threads are high on technical discussions and light on any explanation of how it all hangs together.....

Your issue seems like the loader ignored the kext in extra. Are you sure that the kext were rebuilt. It would be clearer if you can attach kernel log, so that i can see what went wrong.

I m not using Netbookinstaller atm, went for Myhackinstaller which is simpler to work with. However i might change back to Netbookinstaller for a more comprehensive setup. For now i m using myhack to experience P C states speedsteping, deepsleep, and DSDT editing to make it more mac alike. So far powermangement enabled by Chameleon RC5 is not as stable as SSDT override. Let me investigate a bit more during the weekend.

The new guide should be held for a bit until we fix the PM problem, what do you think?

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Your issue seems like the loader ignored the kext in extra. Are you sure that the kext were rebuilt. It would be clearer if you can attach kernel log, so that i can see what went wrong.

I m not using Netbookinstaller atm, went for Myhackinstaller which is simpler to work with. However i might change back to Netbookinstaller for a more comprehensive setup. For now i m using myhack to experience P C states speedsteping, deepsleep, and DSDT editing to make it more mac alike. So far powermangement enabled by Chameleon RC5 is not as stable as SSDT override. Let me investigate a bit more during the weekend.

The new guide should be held for a bit until we fix the PM problem, what do you think?

Yep - Sounds like a better option.

Funny thing - I tried MyHack too (following the Maceee guide for 1005HA) because I thought it was cleaner and gave you greater control over the finished installation (ie you had to know to patch ther kernel etc when updating but at least your kexts weren't forced back to NBI's generic loadout and you could update Chameleon for yourself.)

But I found that using MyHack, while the OSX installer always finished cleanly (it always got to the "install failed" message anyway - which I've yet to see once on NBI) and I could boot off the USB into the new install to set up the account, I could never subsequently get Cham to boot off the HDD itself (always went to a solid white screen). And after the first white screen even booting off the USB couldn't get me back in. 4 attempts at installing in 2 days had me itching to get back to NBI and the recovery=y option. :)

You seem to be making some great progress anyway so I'm happy to let you bottom out the whole c/p states thing and then I'll certainly help re-write the guide to your instructions for either installer.

Good Luck

jawj

jawj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just got my 1001ha this week. Followed mightycrown's comprehensive first post (involving the latest NetbookInstaller) and now typing this on a fully updated Snow Leopard 10.6.4 setup. So, many thanks for that.

My system came with the Ralink card, and I've made a happy discovery! Though the official Leopard Ralink drivers were flaky for me originally (disconnecting every 5 - 10 mins), reducing the MTU size for the relevant en1 'Ethernet' connection in Network preferences completely fixes the problem. I'm currently using a value of 1000 instead of the original 1500.

Great to see there's such active discussion going on in this thread -- I'd find it fantastically helpful if some of the later info could be pulled together a bit, as recently discussed. So far I've not touched any BIOS-related files -- and I get rather short battery life, and my screen doesn't come back on after sleep. I'd certainly be more comfortable following a slightly more definitive guide to try to get these issues sorted.

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Just got my 1001ha this week. Followed mightycrown's comprehensive first post (involving the latest NetbookInstaller) and now typing this on a fully updated Snow Leopard 10.6.4 setup. So, many thanks for that.

My system came with the Ralink card, and I've made a happy discovery! Though the official Leopard Ralink drivers were flaky for me originally (disconnecting every 5 - 10 mins), reducing the MTU size for the relevant en1 'Ethernet' connection in Network preferences completely fixes the problem. I'm currently using a value of 1000 instead of the original 1500.

Great to see there's such active discussion going on in this thread -- I'd find it fantastically helpful if some of the later info could be pulled together a bit, as recently discussed. So far I've not touched any BIOS-related files -- and I get rather short battery life, and my screen doesn't come back on after sleep. I'd certainly be more comfortable following a slightly more definitive guide to try to get these issues sorted.

Glad another member wanna to be involved.

The MTU size fix is cool, i have not thought about it. I will definitely include it to the guilde.

Screen blank after sleep might be caused by graphic driver. Did you install the graphic kext again after you updated? Install them back with kext helper and rebuild cache-

Battery problem is related to Powermangement, you can see that we are still trying to find the best way to enable speedstep, you can try BMKX's method.

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Glad another member wanna to be involved.

The MTU size fix is cool, i have not thought about it. I will definitely include it to the guilde.

Screen blank after sleep might be caused by graphic driver. Did you install the graphic kext again after you updated? Install them back with kext helper and rebuild cache-

Battery problem is related to Powermangement, you can see that we are still trying to find the best way to enable speedstep, you can try BMKX's method.

I second MightyCrown's suggestion re graphics drivers. Once they are installed (or-reinstalled) I've never had an issue with wake from sleep and the sleeping (rather than deep-sleeping) never fails to impress my real Mac-using buddies.

I wonder, if we're trying to fully sort the 1001HA whether there are any of the active members on the 1005 threads who might be worth a shout-out. Anything I can see say's the hardware (certainly for all core compnents) is identical. The active 1005 threads all seem to be using Maceee's MyHack based install (as MC is currently using).

Working on the basis that a couple of extra pairs of skilled hackintosher's are always useful to have onboard (even just for testing of our revised method) - perhaps we can all trawl a little more widely through the other threads and see if any other active members can be encouraged to assist?

Just a thought...

lolo69100

lolo69100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi guys,

I finally went through a 10.6.4 install on my 1001HA. I have nearly everything working properly except the VGA out. In fact it works in extended desktop mode (asus screen on + external screen on) but not in mirror mode nor in single external screen on. Are you aware about this problem and do you have a solution to that ?

Thx for feedback.

Ps: I will try the tip concerning the wireless card and give a feedback.

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Hi guys,

I finally went through a 10.6.4 install on my 1001HA. I have nearly everything working properly except the VGA out. In fact it works in extended desktop mode (asus screen on + external screen on) but not in mirror mode nor in single external screen on. Are you aware about this problem and do you have a solution to that ?

Thx for feedback.

Ps: I will try the tip concerning the wireless card and give a feedback.

Lolo

Glad to have you onboard. I have only tried running an extended desktop so wasn't aware of the problem. Having said that - it does seem to be a common issue for most netbooks using GMA950 graphics. Search here on IM and see if anyone else has cracked it.

Re: Wireless - if you have any niggles I can recommend the broadcom swap-over. I got a DELL1397 for around £6 on eBay and it now appears as an Airport. The swap-over is straightforward enough. Search on youtube and there are several demo's. Hardest bit was carefully prising up the keyboard (nerve-wracking rather than difficult) and then carefully prising apart the two halves of the case. Other than that it's all small star-head screwdriver work with just a couple of ribbon cables to remove to get down to where the wireless card is plugged in.

One time pain - long term gain BUT the 1397 is a 802.11g card rather than the standard 802.11n one you'll be pulling out. A little more cash and you can get a broadcom n spec card which will be recognised as a native Airport Extreme.

Good Luck!

jawj

jawj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hmm, may need to replace WiFi card after all. Had to reinstall after messing things up, and I now have sleep working but the Ralink is staying flaky even after the MTU change. Would be interesting to hear if MTU helps others, but YMMV.

Also, how are others installing the patched 950 kexts? When I last installed them in /Sys/Lib/Ext with KextHelper, the boot process hung for me on 10.6.4 until I reinstated the Snow Leopard originals using safe mode.

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
If some of you wants to incorporate _CST tables into DSDT be sure to have it defined with FFixedHW registers. SystemIO registers do not work on this netbook. At least I couldn't get it to work in any imaginable way.
Automatic c-states generation in bootloader also works, as all it does is that it creates _CST table with FFixedHW entries.
While hacking p/c-states and reading about it I found something that maybe will give us a better picture of c4 state utilization. Back to coding in a moment.

@mightycrown:
Sorry I couldn't test your script. In fact I couldn't even get that damn deepsleep (aka hibernate) to work. Maybe something in my DSDT is still preventing it from kick in. No matter what I set with pmset I still end with standby sleep only.

@lolo69100
I think we all have the same problem with external VGA. It's common for all GMA950 equipped notebooks AFAIK. I haven't seen solution so far.

@jawj
I've replaced Ralink for a cheap Broadcom BCM94311MCG. It's even normal miniPCI-E, not half size, so I needed to do small modifications to put it inside. But it works flawlessly OOTB, it's seen as native AirPort wifi. I simply couldn't stand Ralink's sh**ty software anymore.
Regarding GMA950 kexts: I use those from meklort's NBI. AFAIR they are patched versions from earlier SL version. QE/CI works ok.

Update 10/11/2010:
Here you go, a promised tool to check how good c3/c4 state is working for you, or if it's working at all: Attached File  c4stat.dmg   44.93KB   34 downloads
Quick howto:
- unpack it to some folder
- fix permissions for the kext (chown + chmod)
- load kext (kextload)
- run c4stattool from terminal
- ctrl+c to quit
It's not for complete beginners I suppose...

Ok, it's working, but what does it show? After succesfully running the tool it'll show C4 state cpu percentage residency in 5 sec. interval. So, how much time your CPU is actually in C4 state (obviously the longer the better).
Why C4 and not C3 you may ask? Atom n270 hasn't got a C3 state. Reading configuration registers from this netbook's chipset (ICH7) it'll show you, that even if the OS wants C3 state, it'll conveniently change it to C4 for you :)
Of course reported percentage will be higher if netbook isn't doing anything cpu-expensive.

And what about other c-states? ICH7 has special timer register for C3/C4 I have used. For the C1 and C2 that's not the case unfortunately.

OK, that's it. Good luck and may the c-states be with you :)

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

If some of you wants to incorporate _CST tables into DSDT be sure to have it defined with FFixedHW registers. SystemIO registers do not work on this netbook. At least I couldn't get it to work in any imaginable way.
Automatic c-states generation in bootloader also works, as all it does is that it creates _CST table with FFixedHW entries.
While hacking p/c-states and reading about it I found something that maybe will give us a better picture of c4 state utilization. Back to coding in a moment.

@mightycrown:
Sorry I couldn't test your script. In fact I couldn't even get that damn deepsleep (aka hibernate) to work. Maybe something in my DSDT is still preventing it from kick in. No matter what I set with pmset I still end with standby sleep only.

Update 10/11/2010:
Here you go, a promised tool to check how good c3/c4 state is working for you, or if it's working at all: Attached File  c4stat.dmg   44.93KB   34 downloads
Quick howto:
- unpack it to some folder
- fix permissions for the kext (chown + chmod)
- load kext (kextload)
- run c4stattool from terminal
- ctrl+c to quit
It's not for complete beginners I suppose...

Ok, it's working, but what does it show? After succesfully running the tool it'll show C4 state cpu percentage residency in 5 sec. interval. So, how much time your CPU is actually in C4 state (obviously the longer the better).
Why C4 and not C3 you may ask? Atom n270 hasn't got a C3 state. Reading configuration registers from this netbook's chipset (ICH7) it'll show you, that even if the OS wants C3 state, it'll conveniently change it to C4 for you :)
Of course reported percentage will be higher if netbook isn't doing anything cpu-expensive.

And what about other c-states? ICH7 has special timer register for C3/C4 I have used. For the C1 and C2 that's not the case unfortunately.

OK, that's it. Good luck and may the c-states be with you :lol:

Hi
Great work on the C4 states. You really dig it deep. will test it and will let you know.
I checked your DSDT, i did not bother to compare all the tables. However i found you have injected LPC device ID to DSDT which i do not have, LPC just loads fine without it.
try my DSDT see if you can get deepsleep.

BTW have you tried 10.6.5?

Attached Files

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

However i found you have injected LPC device ID to DSDT which i do not have, LPC just loads fine without it.
try my DSDT see if you can get deepsleep.

Thanks, I tried your dsdt together with generated p/c-states, but I got errors in kernel.log about not working LPC, and others. I've compared our dsdts and found no big differences (you have some work to do though, like power button fix for example :P), so I think the problem is somewhere else.

BTW have you tried 10.6.5?

Not yet, I'm going to download combo since I'll be upgrading my desktop Hack Pro first.

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Thanks, I tried your dsdt together with generated p/c-states, but I got errors in kernel.log about not working LPC, and others. I've compared our dsdts and found no big differences (you have some work to do though, like power button fix for example B)), so I think the problem is somewhere else.

Not yet, I'm going to download combo since I'll be upgrading my desktop Hack Pro first.

Ye. Forgot to add the button fix. Will do that now. And probably more fixs, was lazy to do it.

Well. Sorry to hear that you could not get hibernation working. Usually deepsleep should function when Cstates is enabled. Did you try to force the machine to deepsleep via the command utility i uploaded?

I had trouble with your ApplePS2 kexts. It gave me some errors. I could not use keyboards or even the USB keyboard. Screen would not come when booting, I had to force it to sleep then screen came back after woke up.It was like you said other kext might be internally connected. lol ! dont know how u tweaked them. But i will stay with Meklorts now. the only thing bothers me is the tapping sensitivity. I m thinking to edit the delay time.

Edit: I tried to locate the tap click part in the source of appleps2trackpad. but i could not find it,Please let me know if you do

will let you u know abut 10.6.5 later today after backing up the HD.

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

I had trouble with your ApplePS2 kexts. It gave me some errors. I could not use keyboards or even the USB keyboard.

Did you remember to put ApplePS2Controller in SLE AND ApplePS2Trackpad in EGE?

But i will stay with Meklorts now. the only thing bothers me is the tapping sensitivity. I m thinking to edit the delay time.
Edit: I tried to locate the tap click part in the source of appleps2trackpad. but i could not find it,Please let me know if you do

Ok, but.. Which sources you have? :) From meklort, Slice? If it is the former, you should have something like this:

bool ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad::init( OSDictionary * properties )
		  {
		  // here was initialization code
		  _prefOneFingerThreshold		= Z_LIGHT_FINGER; // this is pressure threshold to count tap as click
						_prefTwoFingerThreshold		= 250;
						_prefThreeFingerThreshold	= 650;
These are the default values, they're used if preferences are not loaded.

Unfortunately there's no simple way to add click delay as I see it, you'd need to somewhat rework the code. Maybe you could try to increase _settleTime here a little:
if(prevEvent == DEFAULT_EVENT)
				  {
					  _settleTime = 2; // we SHOULD have already settle, but just in case

I haven't dug much into his code, I was basing on doc when writing my kext.

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

This is a common problem with this kinda pin chargers, it could be loss on the power connector which sits on your mother board. It can be caused by too much movement when it is charging. I d suggest to DIY If you know how to disassemble the machine and where the power connector is. Just solder the connector to become tight again

Turned out this is exactly the problem. I've found that I can make it connect in certain positions, its a flimsy pin and the connector is loose and floppy. I'll disassemble sometime but am not much chop on soldering, never having done it before. I have the equipment now, just not the motivation to try. Maybe next week.

jawj

jawj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
@bkmx Have followed suit with a Dell 1397 off eBay -- nice to have a proper Airport.

@mightycrown Installed 10.6.5 yesterday using Software Update. Trackpad and keyboard inoperational after reboot. Think this was due to NetbookInstaller's issue with >256MB kext folders. USB mouse and keyboard worked fine, so deleted ATI*, Geforce* and IntelGMAX* kexts from /S/L/E, copied relevant kexts back to /Extra/GeneralExtensions, ran Kext Utility and UpdateExtra, rebooted and all fine.

Have put @mightycrown's GMA950 kexts in /S/L/E again with no trouble, but still getting occasional graphics glitches -- so far, I've only seen these in System Preferences, and only when the dock is showing (so the vertical space is very limited). Attached an example.

Is this normal, or is there some way I should be able to fix these glitches? Could it be a DSDT thing? I'm currently using the 1201N.DSDT.aml from NBI (well, I think I am -- there's a file of that name in my /Extras folder).

Attached Files

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

I'm also on 10.6.5 both on desktop and netbook for a few days already. Updating desktop was pure pleasure :P I had some glitches with netbook though, partly because of my ignorance how NBI actually works. All is well now, I even use patched original kexts from 10.6.5 for GMA now. This have some consequences though. I had to add PNLF device to dsdt, because backlight wasn't turning on after sleep. Now I have backlight brightness slider in preferences and it even works (you can actually change the brightness from there). One problem remains, backlight level is reset to max every time after booting. This is probably because we don't have NVRAM, that real Macs use. I'm fighting the issue for a two days already, will let you know the outcome. Side effect is that hardware brightness keys stopped working for me after system boots, but I *think* this should be easy to fix.

@jawj
Can't say definitely that your problems are because of the dsdt from 1201. But I think that using that dsdt is a bad idea anyway, simply because it's for a *very* different hardware. You won't be able to do things like native PM, etc. with it anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy