ASUS 1001HA Simple Guide (Everything is working)

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

audioone

audioone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I rechecked the hardware and this model has the Intel GMA3150 chip and I am unsure where to find drivers for this. I see there is a thread for the 1001PX so I will move my questions there. Thanks for your help and I will generate a DSDT as suggested and then edit it appropriately.

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Don't you just love hackintoshes! I have been trying the most obvious Speedstep fixes prior to getting hot and heavy with my DSDT again.

I'm not wedded to a "vanilla" system so gave voodoopowermini a rattle over the last few days. Despite making sure nullCPU....kext was also loaded to disable native power management, I couldn't get passed a KP on start-up. So, I then deleted the two offending kexts from S/L/E, ran NBI's extension's update and got a working system back - Well almost....

Sleep is now broken <bugg*r> it sit's there with the screen on and the mouse pointer vanished but goes no further. My beautiful 2-3 seconds to sleep function is stuffed. But even more weird.... CPU-i now reports that the system is flicking between a 12x multiplier and a 6x multiplier <it previously never moved from 12x> which makes me think that one p-state is now working somehow.

I had been about to try and switch my model identifier from 1001HA (which I presume it has picked up from SMBIOSResolver.kext) to Macbook 3,1 as some postings suggest that native PM requires the system to identify itself as a Macbook which uses powersaving. I can't see where you over-ride the resolver calculated values as the info.plist already lists only a Mackbook5,1 but system profiler still correctly identifies a 1001HA and Atom processor.

Ah well, its been at least a week from I installed OSX, if a re-install of NBI doesn't fix sleep then it's back to the start with a nuclear reformatting as sleep is even more important to me than speedstep.

I love OSX86, and I guess it's the nature of so many community developed add-ins that all of the places they hook in and change, and a lot of their detailed configuration settings just never get properly documented but boy is it a pain is the ass. One step forward shouldn't always mean two steps back.

Grrrr... It's late and I'm off to bed before I re-install Win7 in disgust.

UPDATE:A further re-run of NBI has got sleep working again and CPU-i continues to show a 12x to 6x flicker. I'm hoping that means if I can patch my DSDT then speedstep will know the p-states and CPU voltages it needs to work properly and I'll be sorted. --- Watch this space and keep your fingers crossed ---

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Don't you just love hackintoshes! I have been trying the most obvious Speedstep fixes prior to getting hot and heavy with my DSDT again.

I'm not wedded to a "vanilla" system so gave voodoopowermini a rattle over the last few days. Despite making sure nullCPU....kext was also loaded to disable native power management, I couldn't get passed a KP on start-up. So, I then deleted the two offending kexts from S/L/E, ran NBI's extension's update and got a working system back - Well almost....

Sleep is now broken <bugg*r> it sit's there with the screen on and the mouse pointer vanished but goes no further. My beautiful 2-3 seconds to sleep function is stuffed. But even more weird.... CPU-i now reports that the system is flicking between a 12x multiplier and a 6x multiplier <it previously never moved from 12x> which makes me think that one p-state is now working somehow.

I had been about to try and switch my model identifier from 1001HA (which I presume it has picked up from SMBIOSResolver.kext) to Macbook 3,1 as some postings suggest that native PM requires the system to identify itself as a Macbook which uses powersaving. I can't see where you over-ride the resolver calculated values as the info.plist already lists only a Mackbook5,1 but system profiler still correctly identifies a 1001HA and Atom processor.

Ah well, its been at least a week from I installed OSX, if a re-install of NBI doesn't fix sleep then it's back to the start with a nuclear reformatting as sleep is even more important to me than speedstep.

I love OSX86, and I guess it's the nature of so many community developed add-ins that all of the places they hook in and change, and a lot of their detailed configuration settings just never get properly documented but boy is it a pain is the ass. One step forward shouldn't always mean two steps back.

Grrrr... It's late and I'm off to bed before I re-install Win7 in disgust.

UPDATE:A further re-run of NBI has got sleep working again and CPU-i continues to show a 12x to 6x flicker. I'm hoping that means if I can patch my DSDT then speedstep will know the p-states and CPU voltages it needs to work properly and I'll be sorted. --- Watch this space and keep your fingers crossed ---

For the Smbios, Are you sure you fix the permission and rebuild cache after u get rid of Smbiosresolver?
I d suggest to use recovery=y at boot if you face any boot failure. therefore you do not have to go through reinstalling and any of those headaches.

Can you upload ur DSDT?

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

For the Smbios, Are you sure you fix the permission and rebuild cache after u get rid of Smbiosresolver?
I d suggest to use recovery=y at boot if you face any boot failure. therefore you do not have to go through reinstalling and any of those headaches.

Can you upload ur DSDT?

MightycrownG

Thanks for the feedback. I will try what you say but my tinkering has been derailed for a few days.

My Win7 dual boot picked up the Aleuron.h rootkit. In trying to remove it the Win 7 installation got wrecked. In trying to repair, that the MBR for the Snow Leo partition got damaged and even booting off my USB installer stick Chameleon would fall over half way through loading, even on recovery=y.

Sooo - Nuclear option it was and I'm now back to a 10.6.4 desktop with a non-working sleep again....

If this happens again I'll be abandoning dual booting but there are a couple of pieces of presentation software I need to run under winblows and I need every bit of speed the Atom can provide...

(But what's the bets when I get around to looking at speedstep again that my CPU multiplier is back locked at x12??)

Re: My dsdt. It hasn't changed yet from the version I posted for Kyteflyer about 2 weeks ago (Page 2 of this thread) You're more than welcome to look at it and use is anyway you want.

Thanks for all the groundwork you put in to this thread. It really is incredible how some kexts just work for one particular system and anyting else will have you tearing your hair out.

You have saved every other 1001HA owner weeks and weeks of frustration with your clear instructions and collected kexts. Very, very much appreciated.

Baldrick45

PS - If I remove SMBIOSresolver, do I just need to copy an SMBIOS.plist into my Extras folder and run UpdateExtras?

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Update: Native powermanagement. Speedstep with P-stat. Check out the First post

MightycrownG

Thanks for the feedback. I will try what you say but my tinkering has been derailed for a few days.

My Win7 dual boot picked up the Aleuron.h rootkit. In trying to remove it the Win 7 installation got wrecked. In trying to repair, that the MBR for the Snow Leo partition got damaged and even booting off my USB installer stick Chameleon would fall over half way through loading, even on recovery=y.

Sooo - Nuclear option it was and I'm now back to a 10.6.4 desktop with a non-working sleep again....

If this happens again I'll be abandoning dual booting but there are a couple of pieces of presentation software I need to run under winblows and I need every bit of speed the Atom can provide...

(But what's the bets when I get around to looking at speedstep again that my CPU multiplier is back locked at x12??)

Re: My dsdt. It hasn't changed yet from the version I posted for Kyteflyer about 2 weeks ago (Page 2 of this thread) You're more than welcome to look at it and use is anyway you want.

Thanks for all the groundwork you put in to this thread. It really is incredible how some kexts just work for one particular system and anyting else will have you tearing your hair out.

You have saved every other 1001HA owner weeks and weeks of frustration with your clear instructions and collected kexts. Very, very much appreciated.

Baldrick45

PS - If I remove SMBIOSresolver, do I just need to copy an SMBIOS.plist into my Extras folder and run UpdateExtras?

Thanks for the appreciation. I do not know that much myself, just kinda pick up what ever is already done. I admit that it is quite tough without any Computer, Coding skills.
Well U can check out the update if it is working for u. Please let me know. I might have missed something.

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
MightyCrownG

Will look at this when I get home tonight. my work PC won't let me access your Extra file but I'm really pleased to hear about your progress.

I presume that the Smbios.pllist makes OSX think its a Macbook and activate power management. After that, have you manually tweaked the DSDT to get the p-states set correctly?

Just wondering so that I can be sure to cut-n-paste the right bits into my DSDT since it is working very well for everything else in my 2Gig setup.

Thanks again. Once I have my netbook runing the PM smoothly, I'll try lookinging into the c-states too. Perhaps I can return some of your hard work to-date.

Guess that's another few beers we all owe you..........

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Hi mightycrownG,

Known issue: Cstate is not working, Powersouce is constant on Adaptor.

To fix this you must add "SystemType" key with string value "2" to your com.apple.Boot.plist, like this:
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>2</string>

This is needed to tell the system that your computer is a laptop. Default is "1" which is desktop, and desktops rather don't have a battery installed :) Exact key name may differ for your bootloader version (Chameleon), check this with doc. I use latest Chameleon from meklort's branch, and this is working great. Also, that bootloader gave me working p-states as well as c-states simply by enabling them in boot plist also. At least I have now CSTInfo in IORegistry :)

Warning: If you want to install meklort's chameleon, besides copying boot to root of your disk, you need to copy whole "modules" folder to "/Extra". That "modules" folder now contains libraries (".dylib" files) which are loaded by boot dynamically if it needs them.

Ah yes, I have 1001HA also :)

Regards

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Hi mightycrownG,

To fix this you must add "SystemType" key with string value "2" to your com.apple.Boot.plist, like this:
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>2</string>

This is needed to tell the system that your computer is a laptop. Default is "1" which is desktop, and desktops rather don't have a battery installed :pirate2: Exact key name may differ for your bootloader version (Chameleon), check this with doc. I use latest Chameleon from meklort's branch, and this is working great. Also, that bootloader gave me working p-states as well as c-states simply by enabling them in boot plist also. At least I have now CSTInfo in IORegistry :D

Warning: If you want to install meklort's chameleon, besides copying boot to root of your disk, you need to copy whole "modules" folder to "/Extra". That "modules" folder now contains libraries (".dylib" files) which are loaded by boot dynamically if it needs them.

Ah yes, I have 1001HA also :)

Regards

Hi
Thanks for the hint. I will try it as soon as i have my hands on the 1001HA. BTW, you are not using any SSDT to define your P or C states, just the bootloader itself, right? have you tried deep sleep and Auto deepsleep when battery is low

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

BTW, you are not using any SSDT to define your P or C states, just the bootloader itself, right?

Yes. I haven't had much luck with merging them into DSDT.

have you tried deep sleep and Auto deepsleep when battery is low

Unfortunately that's not working. The sleepimage file in /var/vm is created only when I set sleep mode to 3 from terminal. But on invoking sleep it's not updated. I don't see any disk activity and going sleep procedure is as fast as in 0 mode.
I haven't really looked into that, mainly because standby to ram is what suits my needs best.

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Yes. I haven't had much luck with merging them into DSDT.

Unfortunately that's not working. The sleepimage file in /var/vm is created only when I set sleep mode to 3 from terminal. But on invoking sleep it's not updated. I don't see any disk activity and going sleep procedure is as fast as in 0 mode.
I haven't really looked into that, mainly because standby to ram is what suits my needs best.

Hi , i just tried the new bootloader with C P state enable parameter. It works flawlessly. Deepsleep works, but won't auto deepsleep when battery is low. You have to do it manually. BTW, i tried to install OSX with Myhack, however i could not get Trackpad preferences to load, therefore my 2 fingers scroll is not working. Is it possible to upload your trackpad preferences and ApplePS2 mouse keyboad kext. Thanks.
In addition, i recommend you to try the New HWSensor.

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Hi , i just tried the new bootloader with C P state enable parameter. It works flawlessly. Deepsleep works, but won't auto deepsleep when battery is low. You have to do it manually. BTW, i tried to install OSX with Myhack, however i could not get Trackpad preferences to load, therefore my 2 fingers scroll is not working. Is it possible to upload your trackpad preferences and ApplePS2 mouse keyboad kext. Thanks.
In addition, i recommend you to try the New HWSensor.

OK, are you sure hibernate works for you? I mean, when you put it to sleep and then put out the battery for a while, will it resume from image next time? I'm asking, because when I set pm mode to 3 I also can put it to sleep and wake succesfully, as long as it has any power source connected.

Regarding trackpad: I use my own kext :( I use ApplePS2Controller with only ApplePS2Keyboard plugin kext, two other original plugins (Mouse and Trackpad) were removed. I wrote my own version of ApplePS2Trackpad, which has completely new touching, moving and scrolling handling procedure. AFAIR I've based on Slice's sources on start. I've also slightly changed ApplePS2Keyboard to add some key combinations, etc. I use original preference pane with trackpad, there's only need to edit it's Info.plist in order for pane to show up in preferences. My kexts are somewhat connected to themselves (I have some more :D ), so if you feel brave enough to try it, I'll upload it later. Oh, trackpad kexts does only 2-finger vertical scrolling, horizontal is not supported. There's also no border scrolling (I hate that), but it has 2-finger tap for right button simulation and click-to-drag, and it even works sometimes :)

And about HWSensors: thanks, I've looked earlier into that, but what it gives you besides cpu temps? Because from what I've seen there's support for superio chips on MBs, on a machine like this netbook it won't give you anything more? Or am I mistaken? I've read about "original" FakeSMC with plugins that it have had ACPI plugin. But it required you to modify your DSDT. And I didn't like it :) So I have modified original FakeSMC 2.5 from netkas, adding fan speed for eee pc. So now I have cpu temps, as well as fan speed in rpm in iStat. I'm currently looking into adding voltages, will see where it gets me :) Again, if you want to try it, I'll post that kext later (only FakeSMC, no other kexts needed).

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
bmkx

Can I ask you a few questions please. You are obviously far beyond my "amateur" status at this hackintoshing game....

I have been using MightyCrownG's guide and NBI to install Snow on my 2Gig 1001HA. I tried using MyHack a few times without success and while NBI can be a pain when you run an update, it let me get a working 10.6.4 install (apart from native power management).

You will see from my exchanges with MCG that I have been trying to tweak my DSDT (without great success so far) to get working p-states. I had held back from updating to any of the newer Cham RC5 branches since I was wary of breaking my install or having NBI break it once the 10.6.5 update is released. (It has taken about 7-8 re-installs to get me to this point - noobish I know, but little by little I'm learning)

So... In simple terms, can you talk me through what I need to do to get from my current NBI install to a working NPM install without breaking too much (Although if you have a better install method that will sort everything more completely, then I could be persuaded to go round the circle one more time!).

I see Meklort is talking about possibly releasing a beta of the new NBI fairly soon. Should I just wait for this or is it a relatively safe update even now?

If I can go for it, can you set out exactly what build you are using for Chameleon. Did you compile it for yourself or pick up a binary from somewhere? If pre-compiled where did you get it from? Also, what are the additional strings I need to add to my plist to get the new Cham to work for me and can you confirm if this is with or without declared p-states/c-states in my DSDT.aml?

Hope this doesn't all sound too stupid. Working NPM is something lots of people have posted about and yet it is really hard to find a guide which is accessible to a low-grade hackintosher like myself.

Thanks for sharing your progress with us on this board. NPM and a better battery life is, for me, the last piece of the puzzle and once sorted, I can just get on with using the netbook and enjoying it.

Thanks - baldrick45

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

OK, are you sure hibernate works for you? I mean, when you put it to sleep and then put out the battery for a while, will it resume from image next time? I'm asking, because when I set pm mode to 3 I also can put it to sleep and wake succesfully, as long as it has any power source connected.

Regarding trackpad: I use my own kext :) I use ApplePS2Controller with only ApplePS2Keyboard plugin kext, two other original plugins (Mouse and Trackpad) were removed. I wrote my own version of ApplePS2Trackpad, which has completely new touching, moving and scrolling handling procedure. AFAIR I've based on Slice's sources on start. I've also slightly changed ApplePS2Keyboard to add some key combinations, etc. I use original preference pane with trackpad, there's only need to edit it's Info.plist in order for pane to show up in preferences. My kexts are somewhat connected to themselves (I have some more :) ), so if you feel brave enough to try it, I'll upload it later. Oh, trackpad kexts does only 2-finger vertical scrolling, horizontal is not supported. There's also no border scrolling (I hate that), but it has 2-finger tap for right button simulation and click-to-drag, and it even works sometimes :)

And about HWSensors: thanks, I've looked earlier into that, but what it gives you besides cpu temps? Because from what I've seen there's support for superio chips on MBs, on a machine like this netbook it won't give you anything more? Or am I mistaken? I've read about "original" FakeSMC with plugins that it have had ACPI plugin. But it required you to modify your DSDT. And I didn't like it :) So I have modified original FakeSMC 2.5 from netkas, adding fan speed for eee pc. So now I have cpu temps, as well as fan speed in rpm in iStat. I'm currently looking into adding voltages, will see where it gets me :) Again, if you want to try it, I'll post that kext later (only FakeSMC, no other kexts needed).

I forced the laptop to deepsleep by using an Utility called deepsleep, u can download the widget or the command to execute deepsleep.Here is the link http://deepsleep.free.fr/ . I figured out that combining App smartsleep and a simple sleep script to achieve deepsleep when battery low. Smartsleep sets Hibernation mode according to your battery status. I chose mode 0 for battery above 5% and mode 1 for below 5%. The script will put ur machine to sleep when battery is below 5%. Therefore your machine would hibernate since Smartsleep set hibernation mode to 1. The script is in this link http://www.insanelym...howtopic=213310 . Use the sleep one not the hibernate.

Well, to be honest, I have not got much reading from the HWsensor. I think you are right that there is not any plugin for netbooks. And i m not so familiar with these stuff. I will try those sensors one by one to see if any fits. It would be nice if you can upload those files that you mentioned. I m using Meklort Trackpad drivers. Works ok, But not ideal. Tap function is too sensitive.

Another thing i was trying, The new Voodoohda 2,72. The sound is great, so is the preference panel. However i can not fix the reset problem after reboot or sleep. The package on Googlecode seems to have the helper to load the setting however it is reseting all the time.

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
@Baldrick45:

I've compiled meklort's branch myself. In order to install new bootloader manually, it's helpful to not be afraid of using terminal. Injection seems to be working without any p/c - states in DSDT. To make bootloader start generating states you only have to add:

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>yes</string>

to your com.apple.Boot.plist.
Well, it's much easier to simply wait for meklort to release his new NBI. But if you feel like trying, I'll post more instructive infos in the evening. There were many times I had to boot from usb stick to repair my installation by hand, going from retail 10.6 to 10.6.2 to 10.6.4 and updates. And now I simply have external disk with previous installation, since I've installed new shiny ssd inside netbook :( So, even if you break something, try to repair it, leaving re-installation as last resort. I've learnt much this way.

@mightycrown:

Regarding deep sleep: Thanks for the info.

I m using Meklort Trackpad drivers. Works ok, But not ideal. Tap function is too sensitive.

Yeah well, it's kind of how this touchpad works unfortunately. I've tried to make it less sensitible a little, and I think it is now, but not that much. I'll post my kexts when I got home at evening (CET time :( ).

Another thing i was trying, The new Voodoohda 2,72. The sound is great, so is the preference panel. However i can not fix the reset problem after reboot or sleep. The package on Googlecode seems to have the helper to load the setting however it is reseting all the time.

I use it too. AFAIK it's a known bug, hopefully they fix it in the next release. It's a problem with constructing path to settings file to load by the helper. I got rid of voodoohdahelper and edited VoodooHDA's Info.plist directly, to change "Input Gain" key to "0". When it was set to other positive value (as per default) it was driving me crazy, because it caused very audible noise each time driver has started.

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I m thinking to update this Guide, Let me know if you are interested to work together. Put the pieces togather. There are quite a lot going on here, folks might get confused.

Some quick browse. Our super io is Winbond WPCE775LA0DG. I do not think it is supported yet by the new HWsensor

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
Like I promised here are my kexts: Attached File  kexts_101102.dmg   114.95KB   70 downloads
ApplePS2Controller has only one plugin inside: ApplePS2Keyboard. Controller kext needs to be in s/l/e unfortunately, maybe I could do something with it in future.

AsusHotKeys is also my kext, mainly for handling Fn+key shortcuts. And they are:
Fn+F1: sleep
Fn+F2: wlan off/on - this sometimes doesn't work, i.e. sometimes device is not able to turn on, but I'm not able to do anything with it really.
Fn+F3, as well as disable trackpad: disable trackpad. It works by communicating with trackpad kext
Fn+F4: play (iTunes)
Fn+F5, F6: brightness, it works entirely in hw, independently of system
Fn+F7: backlight turn off/on
Fn+F8: video mirroring toggle (switch works, mirroring does not :))
Fn+F9: it works by sending keystrokes simulating cmd+alt+esc, showing "force exit" window
Fn+F10,F11,F12: volume handling

There's also Fn+space for toggling performance/normal/powersave mode of netbook, but it doesn't work well with native PM, especially in powersave mode, so I don't use it anymore.

Also, menu key generates cmd+ctrl+s sequence in keyboard kext. I'm using this shortcut to fire Alfred app :P
I use following modifier keys mapping: Ctrl = Cmd, Win = Ctrl, Alt = Option.
There's also Info.plist for Trackpad.prefPane included.

So, if you feel like trying please help yourself :) Mind you, everything is connected with each other, and may/may not work standalone. Also, because I've done it only for myself there aren't any preferences.
FakeSMC is a bonus, but it's WIP. Fan speed kind of works, voltage shows... well, not voltage yet :)

I m thinking to update this Guide, Let me know if you are interested to work together.

Truth is I don't have much free time. And I'd rather do some coding than write a doc, but if I can be helpful...

Some quick browse. Our super io is Winbond WPCE775LA0DG

That's something, thanks. Don't know where did you find this out, but worth digging in.

After the break: Installing new chameleon by hand. Stay tuned.

Update:
Here's precompiled chameleon r616 by meklort: Attached File  chameleon_meklort_r616.dmg   191.91KB   38 downloads
Step by step:
- mount disk image
- copy whole "modules" folder to /Extra
- open terminal, cd /Volumes/chameleon_meklort_r616
- sudo cp boot /
- sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1 (this should be your osx partition, rdisk0s1 is 1st, rdisk0s2 2nd, etc.)
- sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 (this should be your disk with osx installed)
If you have some other bootloader installed (GRUB, lilo, etc.) for dual/triple booting, omit last step.
That's it.
Credit meklort for his bootloader.

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
MightCrownG

I'm happy to help revise the guide and unlike bmkx, I'm no coder but I don't mind typing up a revised guide.

Can I suggest that if you, with his help, can figure out an optimal Chameleon set-up and set of kexts, I'm happy to convert that into step by step instructions.

Meklort's blog now has him announcing he is working on a new NBI incorporating all of the Chameleon developments. He offered to post a beta if there was enough interest and I posted that I would like this.

Perhaps if we work on this trying to sort out a "best" install we might find we get his beta to simplify the end result and keep it as noob friendly as possible.

Sound like a plan?

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Bmkx / MightyCrownG

Now I'm feeling confused and inadequate......

I installed the new Chameleon as per bmkx instructions.

On rebooting I had lost my mouse / keyboard / Airport card / and a shed load of other things (including my battery monitor and custom keyboard.

And to add insult to injury - having checked that "system type 2" and "c-state/p-state" lines were in my com.apple.boot.plist (the one inside my Extra folder) I could only get CPU-i to show my netbook running at the 12x multiplier. I tried running NBI's Update extra's (figured somehow I had lost all my custom kexts) and after it completed, I did a permissions repair. It made no difference.

Sorry if this is another noob mistake but ;
1: WTF did I do wrong now?
2: What do I use to confirm when c-states & p-states are working properly?

Fortunately since I have a spare USB keyboard and mouse I was able to get in and re-install Chameleon from NBI Installer. One reboot later and I'm fully functional again and CPU-i seems to be showing me flicking between 12, 6 and 10 x multiplers.

I'm seriously confused here guys! What do I need to do once I install the new Chameleon??

Trust you will continue to grant me a fools pardon and keep helping me out. If so, as a public servant and hence a creator of many,many, many documents, I promise to write the nicest guide you've ever seen for this whole process.

It's late and I need to get to bed. Catch you soon.

baldrick45

bmkx

bmkx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
@baldrick45
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Good you've been able to recover.

I don't really know what went wrong for you. Did you do all of the pre-requisities to enable native pm? Like faking recent Mac in smbios.plist (I'm currently using "MacBookPro5,1"), removing SMBIOSResolver and NullCPUManagement? Also, be sure that you have CPUUIDOverride and CPUIDSymbols, because they're needed for native PM. Oh, have you fixed your DSDT for loading LPC?

I can't think of anything else right now, maybe I post my boot.plist, smbios.plist, dsdt (2GB) when I got home.

To check for working native PM you can use MSR Tools (search for working SL version) and IORegistryEditor. Search for "lpc" to see AppleLPC is loaded, and then for "smc" (ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin) to check if there is CPULimit key with value 0, and CSTInfo with some positive value.

Update:
Promised files: Attached File  extra_101103.dmg   24.01KB   54 downloads
Update2:
FakeSMC for eee pc, with speed fan and core voltage (fixed): Attached File  fakesmc_eeepc.dmg   42.24KB   41 downloads

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Bmkx

thanks for the files. I'll take a look at them later. At first glance your DSDT file appears to be very different from mine. Did you spend a long time tweaking it?

I wonder if you could explain how you did your initial install of Snow Leopard. As you know, NBI uses a general extensions folder inside Extra. I presume the NBI version of Chameleon looks for this. Trying to think about what went wrong last night, it was as if the new Meklort Chameleon only checked Extra and so found no kexts or mkext file to pull in.

I may now just wait for the new NBI to emerge. While I have OSX back, last night has buggered up my Win7 partition and while I suspect I just need to repair the windows bootsector, I am getting tired of going round and round this particular circle.

I'd like to just have a working netbook for a while before I worry about squeezing out a little more life from my battery.

I'm still happy to prepare a revised installation guide if MCG can figure it out and will keep checking this thread to see what progress has been made.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy