ASUS 1001HA Simple Guide (Everything is working)

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I've just been using Grab (in Utilities) fro screenies. Never tried the shortcuts.

An interesting thing here. I've dropped a 2G stick in the machine, and OSX recognises it, but a few other things end up screwed: no keyboard or mouse function, and it thinks there is no battery. Decided to start over, sadly I have no idea how to actually use the DSDTSE tool so thats a bit of a loss for me, and on the starting over, wireless isnt working either.

I want the 2G machine, I guess I am going to give up again, for a while. Ubuntu will do for the time being, or even Win7 which will work better with the extra RAM.

[edit] I seem to have keyborad and trackpad back, but still, the battery is not being recognised, even though its obviously working on battery as well as regular power. Still no wireless. Definitely giving up, its more trouble than its worth and I have an iMac to keep me Mac-happy. I think I'll be investing in a Macbook pro sooner or later.

Scroller

Scroller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I've just been using Grab (in Utilities) fro screenies. Never tried the shortcuts.

It doesn't work too. If I make screenshot, then I've got a blank, white window.

That same blank window I have if I try open JPG or GIF in Preview. Strange.

Bad video driver? Any idea?

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Kyteflyer

Don't give up. I did my 1001HA with the 2Gig installed from the start and following this method everything is working as it should. I have even updated to 10.6.4 NBI kicked in on restart and eventually froze but on restart and after re-doing my extras kexts the system is running fine. I'm now tweaking my DSDT to see if I can eliminate a few of the kexts listed as I don't think all should be necessary.

The one provided here works, but I created a new one using DSDTSE's extract function and re-adding power button, CPU fix, and a few others. This was done from BIOS 1401 so if you're on the same version of BIOS I'll happily share it with you.

Come on... try it one more time, you know you want to.........

dmitry89rus

dmitry89rus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
How long battery runtime 1001HA on OSX ?

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Kyteflyer

Don't give up. I did my 1001HA with the 2Gig installed from the start and following this method everything is working as it should. I have even updated to 10.6.4 NBI kicked in on restart and eventually froze but on restart and after re-doing my extras kexts the system is running fine. I'm now tweaking my DSDT to see if I can eliminate a few of the kexts listed as I don't think all should be necessary.

The one provided here works, but I created a new one using DSDTSE's extract function and re-adding power button, CPU fix, and a few others. This was done from BIOS 1401 so if you're on the same version of BIOS I'll happily share it with you.

Come on... try it one more time, you know you want to.........

You know me so well, and so quickly!!

I reinstalled Windows 7 premium which works MUCH better with 2G of RAM, so do the various linuxes I played with prior to the reinstall of Windows 7. However, since the install last weekend, I haven't bothered even lifting the lid. For whatever reason I just can't seem to want to use Windows at all. Until I read your post about installing from scratch with 2G, I was going to drop Ubuntu 10.04 back on and take it from there but now.... oh yes.

I even tried to make it sorta mac-like by installing ObjectDock from Stardock, but that only partially solved my issue, that being that its not OSX. I've only been a Mac for 6 years but its enough to make me want to use it all the time. Wish I had it at work too (but the IT guys claim OSX isn't as secure as Windows so its not even an option)

Hmm, my bios is 1203 (dated 21/12/09... or 12/21/09)... didnt realise there was another update. might just install the eeepc updater first to see if that needs an update anyway.

[edit] BIOS reflashed, and I'm now up to 1401, through 1302 or whatever it was.

[edit #2] I wonder if you'd mind posting your dsdt.aml? I'd be ever so grateful -_- Working, though on 10.6.4 with no further updates. Might download the updates and save them rather than install, and see what needs doing and what doesn't.

General comment.. OSX is happier with 2G

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Kyteflyer

Try this one for size. I can't swear that it works perfectly (I haven't had much time to actually use the netbook to test it) but it compiles with no errors and only 4 obscure(ish) warnings and SL is working well for me so far. I don't know if Asus have been tweaking the BIOS for better Linux support but when I extracted this from the BIOS (using DSDTSE) I was surprised to see that the code DSDTSE suggests as a patch for laptops with built-in GMA950 graphics was already present.

Here's hoping it makes for a better OSX experience too.

Good luck

Baldrick45

Attached Files

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Kyteflyer

Try this one for size. I can't swear that it works perfectly (I haven't had much time to actually use the netbook to test it) but it compiles with no errors and only 4 obscure(ish) warnings and SL is working well for me so far. I don't know if Asus have been tweaking the BIOS for better Linux support but when I extracted this from the BIOS (using DSDTSE) I was surprised to see that the code DSDTSE suggests as a patch for laptops with built-in GMA950 graphics was already present.

Here's hoping it makes for a better OSX experience too.

Good luck

Baldrick45

Oh great, thanks heaps, Baldrick. It works beautifully from what I can see, and also, I have updated security and Safari (downloaded from apple support downloads rather than via software update) and its all good :D

Thanks again... and this could be a most excellent replacement for MightycrownG's dsdt.aml. I thank you, and my sanity thanks you :)

and then, I installed an old version of little snitch and its all b0rked now. sighhh. A job for the weekend I think. My brain is always disordered on Monday evenings.

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Kyteflyer

Go easy and don't trust my DSDT too much.

Trying an alternative install today without NBI (maceee.blogspot.com 1005HA install using MyHack installer) as NBI always seemed to lock up after doing a 10.6.X update (I think it's DSDT regeneration routine isn't reliable if you're not running on a Dell mini). I was also fed up with having to dung out the extra's folder again after doing an update.

All worked well with the Maceee method until I copied the DSDT in and then the system blew up completely. White screen on reboot and even rebooting with the -x flag won't let me in. (And of course I don't now have the "recovery=y" option that NBI would have given me....) .

I think I may have a fix to try tomorrow but for now don't trust the file as the basis of a stable system. If I can generate a better one, I'll repost it for you.

Baldrick45

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ACtually, my install is just fine. I was being impatient as Little Snitch was rearranging itself. waited longer on the next reboot and all is fine again. Your dsdt.aml file is perfect, as far as I am concerned. Sorted my issues very nicely. Thanks again ;)

[edit] I havent used the NBI dsdt regeneration thing since the first time it screwed up. I follow MightCrownG's instructions with (now) the exception of using your dsdt instead of his, and the downloaded kext from 10.6.5 beta for wireless. Everything else I do as per instruction

Its all good. Don't check anything in NBI except the first two options, unless using it will hide the NBI files which you dont want.

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Anybody else having trouble with the powersupply? I think my cable must be kinked or something. Its on sometimes and others not... positional change seems to fix iit. Wish they had something much less flimsy.

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Anybody else having trouble with the powersupply? I think my cable must be kinked or something. Its on sometimes and others not... positional change seems to fix iit. Wish they had something much less flimsy.

This is a common problem with this kinda pin chargers, it could be loss on the power connector which sits on your mother board. It can be caused by too much movement when it is charging. I d suggest to DIY If you know how to disassemble the machine and where the power connector is. Just solder the connector to become tight again

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
No-one is responding to my other thread so please excuse me if I post here among other 1001HA owners.

What is your battery life like? My 3-cell 2200mAh battery gives me 2h to 2h15mins. I am pretty sure that's because Speedstep isn't working. If I load CPU-i it is detecting my N270 and reporting 6 possible p-states which it can reach by reducing the clock multiplier from 12 down to 6. But when I go to the status tab which shows what speed your processor is running at at any instant, it never drops below 12. Constant full speed = crappy battery life.

According to other postings and other Forums (Fora? - mydellmini for one) using NBI 0.84 RC2 and above (I used the latest 10.6.4 patched version) should just give you a working Speedstep install on a Mini 9 or 10v.

I'm guessing that one of the Dell specific kexts or plist files has a line of code or toggles a switch to activate speedstep. But that's just my guess. Any other lucky owners care to report their success (or lack of it) with Speedstep?

For me getting up to a 3h battery life would just about finish off my eMac perfectly without having to resort to buying a new 6 cell battery.

Hoping someone wiser than me can shed some light on this.

Baldrick45

PS - I'd like to stay as close to vanilla as poss with my install but if anyone has had luck using an Apple power disabler kext and VoodooPowerMini then I'd love to hear about that too.

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

This is a common problem with this kinda pin chargers, it could be loss on the power connector which sits on your mother board. It can be caused by too much movement when it is charging. I d suggest to DIY If you know how to disassemble the machine and where the power connector is. Just solder the connector to become tight again

It didn't occur to me that it might be an on-board problem, so I went ahead a couple of nights ago and ordered a new power supply from a place I never heard of. I do hope it actually arrives. I'm not able to do disassembling and soldering so would have to pay vast sums to someone else to do that... not sure after the original cheap cost of the machine that its worth bothering with, if it turns out that the issue is with the connector on the motherboard. My feeling though is that its not. it hardly gets any movement at all.

Whichever is the source of the problem, I now have NO power supply working, so cannot use the netbook after the battery is depleted. So I'm hoping the full charge it had will hold it until the new supply arrives.

Thanks for your suggestion :D

No-one is responding to my other thread so please excuse me if I post here among other 1001HA owners.

What is your battery life like? My 3-cell 2200mAh battery gives me 2h to 2h15mins. I am pretty sure that's because Speedstep isn't working. If I load CPU-i it is detecting my N270 and reporting 6 possible p-states which it can reach by reducing the clock multiplier from 12 down to 6. But when I go to the status tab which shows what speed your processor is running at at any instant, it never drops below 12. Constant full speed = crappy battery life.

According to other postings and other Forums (Fora? - mydellmini for one) using NBI 0.84 RC2 and above (I used the latest 10.6.4 patched version) should just give you a working Speedstep install on a Mini 9 or 10v.

I'm guessing that one of the Dell specific kexts or plist files has a line of code or toggles a switch to activate speedstep. But that's just my guess. Any other lucky owners care to report their success (or lack of it) with Speedstep?

For me getting up to a 3h battery life would just about finish off my eMac perfectly without having to resort to buying a new 6 cell battery.

Baldrick45

PS - I'd like to stay as close to vanilla as poss with my install but if anyone has had luck using an Apple power disabler kext and VoodooPowerMini then I'd love to hear about that too.

I can't help, my 1001HA actually came with a 6 cell, and I haven't really used it up or paid much attention. I've recently installed vista (I need windows on native hardware as opposed to a virtual machine for a software/hardware combo I intend to buy to help me keep tabs on my diabetes) so I probably can't ever help. I did see your other post, but not fitting the same profile, did not answer then. Sorry ;)

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Kyteflyer

No prob's. I am just interested in fighting out this issue if I can and thought fellow owners might be the most sympathetic to my plea!

I now have a Win7 dual-boot set-up on my 1001 which works a treat. It helped that I found a SLIC enabled BIOS which has let me install Asus Win7 Ultimate with factory pre-activation. Win7 is nice and is certainly snappier to use than Vista (although still noticeably slower than XP). I'd say in day-to-day use it feels as fast for email/web/word processing etc as my Core2Duo main box. But then I don't strain things too much anyway. 3-4 browser tabs and an email client at the one time is as demanding as I get.....

Good luck with the diabetes kit. I have a nephew suffers badly with diabetes and I know it's much more serious than "it's just a couple of jabs a day". Hope the new bits-and-bobs work perfectly and make your life easier and safer..

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Baldrick45

Hi. Vanilla speedstep is not an easy task. thats why i m not spending any time on it. I know it will end up sucking days out of time. But i can give u a couple of hints.
1st, U need this link to understand how it works
2nd, this is a translated page via Google shows how to apply it
3nd, u need Patched kernel for atom from Tea-team
last, Search MSR tool to test whether it works or not
Of course u need to know DSDT well

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Thank-you so much. This is exactly what I need to get me started. I don't mind some effort messing with my DSDT and and if I have any success I'll be sure and post back.

Catch you around soon (I hope).

baldrick45

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Thank-you so much. This is exactly what I need to get me started. I don't mind some effort messing with my DSDT and and if I have any success I'll be sure and post back.

Catch you around soon (I hope).

baldrick45

The attachment is the SSDT i dumped from Linux. A Head start for you. I believe that there are folks already had speedstep working on the Atom N270, you might search around and get some idea how it works. Do delete Nullpowemangement.kext and sleepenabler.kext When you are using native power management

Attached Files

audioone

audioone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have the Asus 1001PX which I suspect is close to the 1001H discussed here. Everything works except under OSX 10.6.4 it cannot run at 64 bit although did at 10.6.0. Also I have no QE/CI. When I tried the stock DSDT in Netbookinstaller the system blew up so I am nervous to try that again. Restart does not work properly although I can live with that but would like to get full graphics. It does not show my proper device id in System Profiler but I am sure my kexts are properly installed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

thesonandheir

thesonandheir

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks to the OP and everybody who posted in this topic - I have now had my first taste of OS X! ;)

Followed the guide and it worked like a dream - thanks again!

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

I have the Asus 1001PX which I suspect is close to the 1001H discussed here. Everything works except under OSX 10.6.4 it cannot run at 64 bit although did at 10.6.0. Also I have no QE/CI. When I tried the stock DSDT in Netbookinstaller the system blew up so I am nervous to try that again. Restart does not work properly although I can live with that but would like to get full graphics. It does not show my proper device id in System Profiler but I am sure my kexts are properly installed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I dont know what hardware your pc has. The graphic kext supports only gma950. Do not use DSDT extraction in NBI. Use DSDTSE or DSDT editor in this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy