ASUS 1001HA Simple Guide (Everything is working)

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Material required

1. EEE PC 1001HA :blink:

2. A MAC or PC with OS X installed

3. Snow leopard retail disk or image Ver. 10.6.3 or 10.6.0, you won't need an external DVD rom if you have the image. I do suggest to obtain a legal retail disk from APPLE.

4. Netbookinstaller and Netbookbootmaker (The newest version)

5. USB stick with 8GB or more and 1 supplement USB stick

6. 1001HA Kit(includes all the drivers and necessary files), will be uploaded later,

· Preparation ( on your PC with OS X)

1. Formatting the USB stick with Disk utility - Partition: 1. Name it whatever you want. Option: Master boot record , Format: Mac extended(Journaled).

2. Restore the Snow leopard disk or image to USB - Restore tab, add the source which is the SL disk, Destination is the new formatted Usb stick

3. Run Netbookbootmaker, Select the USB stick and run.

4. Copy Netbookinstaller and 1001HA kit to the supplement USB stick

· Installation

1 .Insert the restored USB stick to EEE PC 1001HA

2.Power on, press ESC several times. Select the USB stick as booting device

3.Wait until it is fully booted to the installation phase

4.Select Disk utility on top of the screen, Select EEE PC’s H.D.D, Partition: 1. Note: For people who wish to duo boot, please select 2 partitions. Name to whatever you wanna. Option: GUID, Format: Mac extended( Journaled ) , for 2 partitions, select MS-FAT for windows partition. Apply

5.Go back to the installation phase, follow the instruction to the end and start installing.( you might need to customize your installation)(installation may stuck at the end, don’t panic because you do not have any bootloader to install. Just quit the installation then restart)

6. do the same procedure as No.2 , press any key when the apple logo appears. You will see there are 2 or more disks, one is your USB, and another is your harddisk, please select your harddisk .

7. If everything was done correctly the welcome video starts. just follow the setup steps. Plug in the supplement USB stick, and copy all the contents to desktop

8.Run Netbookinstaller, select your H.D.D as destination. And select just Chameleon bootloader and general extension. Do not restart yet.

9. Main drivers - a) Graphic fix - install the 2 kexts from SLgma950fix with Kexthelper. B) General kext - Copy openhaltrestar.kext from 1001HA kit to the general extension folder which located in your Harddisk/extra. Run updateextra. Remember to configure your trackpad in system preference. Important!! Refer to the kext content picture in attachments. You must have exactly the same content as the picture to run 1001HA perfectly, delete the extra ones and install the missing ones, then run updateextra.(this part can be ignored if you are going to update to 10.6.6)

10.Sound and ethernet fix - Delete applhda.kext from S/L/E, clear cache and fix permission. install voodoohda.kext from voodooHDA and AtherosL1ethernet from ethernet folder with Kexthelper. then install voodoohda.prepanel. restart>go to system preference>voodoohda.prepane>configure your audio settings.(U can do this after update to 10.6.6 and check voodoohda updates)

11. Wireless - Ralink wireless Download the first driver and install, configure the Ralink wireless utility to access

12. Power button fix - copy the DSDT file from 1001HA kit to HD/Extra. delete any pre-existed DSDT.aml. Run Updateextra. Restart
(Included in the new DSDT)

Please Note: This is not a dummy guide, it requires you to have some knowledge with OSX and Hackitosh. Google is your best friend to locate the files and guides. I won't be responsible of any damage caused by following this guide. Please let me know if there is any mistake or missing thing. And do some studies before asking questions.

Things do not work properly:
1, Fn keys, volume control via fn , wireless switch
2, Ralink wireless card is disconnecting all the time. I advice to change to a Half sized native supported one.
Enjoy your Eeemac!

Attached File  1001ha_kit.zip   2.02MB   1185 downloads
Attached File  Content.tiff   86.6KB   1473 downloads

(Update info)
Wireless card: I have been noticed that 1001HA comes with 2 different wireless cards, one is Ralkin which we can get it working but not perfectly from the link i provide, another is the athero card AR9285 which you can refer to Kyteflyer's link

Update info 20.10.2010 - powermanagement

Well i do have P-States, but not C-state. will check why Cstate is not functioning
You need to replace, relocate and delete a few files.
Follow my attached Extra, replace the apple.boot.plist, DSDT, add Smbios.Plist. Then check if you have all the kexts that i included in the general extensions. Delete the extra ones and place the missing ones. You probably noticed that FakeSMC was gone. It is moved to System-Library- Extensions(Use Kexthelper). It is essential that you do so!! Or else you will get a KP. Finally, the usual maintains, Fix your extension cache, permission and rebuild with Kext utility and Updateextra.

Known issue: Cstate is not working, Powersouce is constant on Adaptor.
This is based on my laptop with 1GB Ram, you may have problem if you have 2GB.

Update: Update to 10.6.6 with more comprehensive files. 26.01.11
You need to follow my guild to phase 8 for the installation and this update to get everything working in 10.6.6. You also should read all the posts before asking any question.
1. Download 10.6.6 combo update, voodoohda 2.72 and its preferencepanel.The attachments below are the necessary files to get your eee to work the best with OSX. Most of these files are BMKX´s work. So credit goes to him
2. Install the combo update, however do not restart yet after it is done. Now install all the files, voodoohda and applebacklight go to SLE, the others go to Extra(keep files the way i uploaded). you might need to customize boot.plist to fit your preferences. at last install voodoohda preference panel, icontrolmyeee. Do delete AppleHDA.
- In addition regarding Bootloader, you can use Meklort branch, please refer to Bmkx¨s post page 5), Or just use trunk version, there is an installer on New Release section http://www.insanelym...howtopic=231075 . Install it after you finish installing the kexts.
3. follow the guild on page 5 to see how to patch graphic kext on the fly, or use kext which already patched by andy
4. Now do a kext service, clear cache, permission and all that. Restart your machine and wait till it finishes doing its work.
I am not using Netbookinstaller atm, so there might be mistakes in the update. Do this at your own risk
Attached File  untitled_folder.zip   1.29MB   375 downloads

Update 05.02.2011
1st to Mod USB card reader as native apple SD card reader.
2nd to Mod UVC as Isight cam
Install them to SLE. and do the usual kext service. They might work in extra but i have not tried.
Attached File  Archive.zip   9.82KB   221 downloads

Update 13.02.2011, Sleep when low battery
Refer to Post#125. Bmkx explains how to use the new "Sleep when battery reach certain level" feature that was implanted in to battery kext.
Another route is to use a script to call hibernation when battery is low. Check out the attachment!Attached File  batterysave.zip   11.92KB   104 downloads
#!/bin/shfunction get_batt {    batterystatus=$((`/usr/bin/pmset -g batt | grep Internal | awk '{ print $2 }' | awk -F % '{ print $1 }'`))    mode=`pmset -g batt | grep Internal | awk '{ print $3 }'`}while true; do    get_batt    until [[ $batterystatus -le 3  &&  $mode == "discharging;" ]]; do        sleep 90        get_batt    done    /Applications/Utilities/deepsleepdone

until [[ $batterystatus -le 3  &&  $mode == "discharging;" ]]; do        sleep 90

One can edit the battery level, i have it set to 3% " $batterystatus -le 3". So script calls deepsleep when batt is equale or less than 3%. One can also edit how often script checks battery status, i have it on 90 seconds " sleep 90"

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
OK, Everything working except wireless. I'm using Snow Leopard and that RAlink site doesnt have a wireless driver for SL. Attempting to install the Leopard driver results in a fail. It simply wont install, so I am still wireless-less (any suggestions, or do you have a driver you can upload?)

On a brighter note, I can boot from the internal drive, thanks to the additional info and helper tools in your guide, combined with the mechdrew one. (Trying to have a dsdt.aml generated by netbookinstaller *always* resulted in a fail, having yours just made all the difference)

Thanks for this!

will1384

will1384

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

RAlink site doesnt have a wireless driver for SL. Attempting to install the Leopard driver results in a fail. It simply wont install

I had the same problem on my 1000HE, I had to boot in 32bit mode, just
to get the drivers installed, so I decided to keep it that way LOL

If you want to boot into 32bit mode every time automatically, you would
need to edit the "com.apple.Boot.plist" in "/Extra" and add

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

Something like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>c60000000100000002000000610000000200000002 010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff040010000000 6d006f00640065006c0000000b000000474d41203935302000 00004100410050004c002c00480061007300500061006e0065 006c0000000800000001000000590000000200000002010c00 d041030a0000000001010600001b7fff0400180000006c0061 0079006f00750074002d00690064000000080000000c000000 160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e000000050000 0001</string>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>UHCIreset</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for that, Will, I'll try it in the morning, I've shut the netbook down and its almost pumpkin time for this old lady :P

I'm a bit puzzled about why RALink doesnt update the drivers for the current OS, but oh well, if this works, I'll be eternally grateful. And then I'll write a new guide based on everything everyone else has told me.

I'm beginning to think its very much a case of YMMV with all of these guides, even though in many cases we are talking about the same or very similar hardware.
[edit] Nope, that didn't work, nor did replacing the kexts from my regular install, with older ones relating to 10.5.7 or .8

So what I'm thinking is this... I might find an install of Leopard will work better. I have no special affection for SL, its just that all the guides seem to relate to that. I have often considered downgrading the iMac, just never got round to it.

[edit #2] and theres a good reason for the proliferation of SL guides. Leopard just will not install to this netbook. Oh well, back to the drawing board. I'm going to start over from scratch, there is probably something that I have forgotten/changed etc and that may be why this all isnt working. A spotlight search for wireless reveals that the drivers are installed, but RAlink Util can't see the wireless card. I'm also not able to install "About this Mac" which also throws an error. I'll post again when I have reinstalled everything from scratch, and I'll only use the 0.83 version of things, I rather think using 0.84 might have had some effect on the outcome

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Thanks for that, Will, I'll try it in the morning, I've shut the netbook down and its almost pumpkin time for this old lady :wacko:

I'm a bit puzzled about why RALink doesnt update the drivers for the current OS, but oh well, if this works, I'll be eternally grateful. And then I'll write a new guide based on everything everyone else has told me.

I'm beginning to think its very much a case of YMMV with all of these guides, even though in many cases we are talking about the same or very similar hardware.
[edit] Nope, that didn't work, nor did replacing the kexts from my regular install, with older ones relating to 10.5.7 or .8

So what I'm thinking is this... I might find an install of Leopard will work better. I have no special affection for SL, its just that all the guides seem to relate to that. I have often considered downgrading the iMac, just never got round to it.

[edit #2] and theres a good reason for the proliferation of SL guides. Leopard just will not install to this netbook. Oh well, back to the drawing board. I'm going to start over from scratch, there is probably something that I have forgotten/changed etc and that may be why this all isnt working. A spotlight search for wireless reveals that the drivers are installed, but RAlink Util can't see the wireless card. I'm also not able to install "About this Mac" which also throws an error. I'll post again when I have reinstalled everything from scratch, and I'll only use the 0.83 version of things, I rather think using 0.84 might have had some effect on the outcome

I d suggest SL version 10.6.3 or 10.6.0 to start with, as well as the newest netbookinstaller and bootmaker. You will be fine by following the guide step by step. but i might miss something or miss placed the order of the steps. These are the ones i can recall. Btw do not generate DSDT by Netbookinstaller. Use the one i provide for Power button fix. DSDTSE is a great app to mod your DSDT. Note: it is for 1GB ram.
Wireless utility is so {censored} thay i do not even want to use it. Disconnecting all the time. I d suggest a native supported ones such as Dell 1505, etc. But if you wanna try, you might have to reboot the system then install it, or service your kernel extensions with kext utility and updateextra.

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Further to the note above:

1) Don't use the older installers and bootmakers. You need the newer ones for the kexts which arent in the older versions.
2) Order of actions should be changed. Particularly in relation to copying the dsdt.aml file. This MUST be inplace before you install the ralink drivers, because the install routine forces a restart, without the dsdt.aml, your machine will be irretrievably b0rked. (I know this because I did that and had to install windows, just to get access to the drive. I couldnt even repartition or erase the drive in its mac format)... so leave the ralink drivers till last of all.
3) All that said, and having a successful install (according to the install routine) ... ralink wireless utility still cannot see the card, so I am still wireless-less. Will's solution didn't help, sadly, because the install went ahead swimmingly without it.

Not reinstalling again. I'll leave it at ethernet only until such time as another solution presents itself. I guess its going to be a non-portable, in-house emergency computer. O well.

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Wireless utility is so {censored} thay i do not even want to use it. Disconnecting all the time. I d suggest a native supported ones such as Dell 1505, etc. But if you wanna try, you might have to reboot the system then install it, or service your kernel extensions with kext utility and updateextra.

Yeah I've gone back to using 10.6.0 for the install, I've updated with 10.6.3, and I have managed to install, improperly, the wireless driver (the install succeeded but the message at the end was that the kext had not installed properly and one should ask for an update from the manufacturer). I copied out the kext, deleted the one in the s/l/e and installed the copied one with kext helper. I'm just now doing a cache clear and permission repair.

I must stay that kext helper and utility are just marvellous. Did you write them? They have been really helpful for me.

Hmm...Utility, in repairing and rebuilding, is looking for Extra/Extensions, not Extra/GeneralExtensions. Wonder if a rename would help. Can't do now, off to work. I'll give it a shot when I get home again.

Re wireless, I think I'll end up just getting a USB dongle. Faster, easier.

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Yeah I've gone back to using 10.6.0 for the install, I've updated with 10.6.3, and I have managed to install, improperly, the wireless driver (the install succeeded but the message at the end was that the kext had not installed properly and one should ask for an update from the manufacturer). I copied out the kext, deleted the one in the s/l/e and installed the copied one with kext helper. I'm just now doing a cache clear and permission repair.

I must stay that kext helper and utility are just marvellous. Did you write them? They have been really helpful for me.

Hmm...Utility, in repairing and rebuilding, is looking for Extra/Extensions, not Extra/GeneralExtensions. Wonder if a rename would help. Can't do now, off to work. I'll give it a shot when I get home again.

Re wireless, I think I'll end up just getting a USB dongle. Faster, easier.

It is better to start reading other info like DSDT override, how kext works , perhaps some basic command like deleting kext with Single user mode, permission fix etc.

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for all of your help, mightycrownG. As I've just said in the other thread, I've decided to switch out the wireless card. The dongle (in spite of being labelled as being mac compatible) doesn't wortk on the netbook or on my real mac. It might just be a dud but I'm going to get a refund this week and put the $$ toward an airport card. There are a few suppliers in Australia I can get one from. Not so many suppliers of Dell wireless cards, and I've always been sus of buying from Hong Kong strangers on ebay.

There's a guy selling right here in my home town, so I could even be set by the end of the weekend.

Thanks again for your help. It was your guide which eventually got OSX successfully installed on my netbook, and for that I am eternally grateful.

stridershouse

stridershouse

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Great Post. Iam really struggling with getting the correct resolution. Stuck at 800x600. Any advise?

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Gosh, I haven't heard that one before. Mine just naturally went into the native resolution for the netbook. You don't have an option to change it in System Preferences?

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Great Post. Iam really struggling with getting the correct resolution. Stuck at 800x600. Any advise?

either you have not installed the Graphic driver correct or you have messed up the mkext cache! try to install the graphic kext. and rebuild your mkext

Thanks for all of your help, mightycrownG. As I've just said in the other thread, I've decided to switch out the wireless card. The dongle (in spite of being labelled as being mac compatible) doesn't wortk on the netbook or on my real mac. It might just be a dud but I'm going to get a refund this week and put the $ toward an airport card. There are a few suppliers in Australia I can get one from. Not so many suppliers of Dell wireless cards, and I've always been sus of buying from Hong Kong strangers on ebay.

There's a guy selling right here in my home town, so I could even be set by the end of the weekend.

Thanks again for your help. It was your guide which eventually got OSX successfully installed on my netbook, and for that I am eternally grateful.

You are welcome. I was helped by others too, so it is how the community works.For the wireless card, I would say that you must be very certain that you are going to use this netbook. Or else it will be just waste of money.

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

You are welcome. I was helped by others too, so it is how the community works.For the wireless card, I would say that you must be very certain that you are going to use this netbook. Or else it will be just waste of money.

You're right in some respects, but if the wireless works with *any* OS, that has to be good, and might even make the netbook more saleable in the future if its good for all. As you can see I have done nothing yet, I'm currently running Windows again, to my eternal consternation. I'm thinking flexibility is the go. I can run Windows (of course!) but sometimes want to run other versions of Linux and it seems to be that Ubuntu and its derivations (and not even all of them) are the only Linuxes that are happy (reasonably but not reliably) to use the Atheros card.

So for me, even if I was to sell in future to get another netbook with a larger screen, the card is a good investment. I'd like to be able to say to the potential buyer that it will run anything you want it to ;)

In the meantime I still havent had the guts to get the card and open the machine up. I'm an old lady and I get nervy about such things!

So I've considered this: I'm going to reinstall 10.6.0 and take it from there, and see if its happy to talk to my 3G USB dongle. That, in combination with my ethernet at home, will be a fine combination until I find the wherewithal to open it up and do what I am certain needs to be done ;) The thing is, I know I will be happiest with an eeeMac.

Onward!!

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

So I've considered this: I'm going to reinstall 10.6.0 and take it from there, and see if its happy to talk to my 3G USB dongle. That, in combination with my ethernet at home, will be a fine combination until I find the wherewithal to open it up and do what I am certain needs to be done :) The thing is, I know I will be happiest with an eeeMac.

Onward!!

And thats what I have done. Its working beautifully with my 3G dongle, and that will have to do when I am away from the house. In the meantime I've decided to try to source a wireless dongle which is compatible with OSX. Netgear is out, and I'm going to take the netbook with me to the stores, to test things, before walking out with one. Hope they dont mind :)

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Now wireless is working.

Keep the stock card and install the following WiFi kext.
http://uploading.com...s/get/94fm2e33/

The kext apparently comes from the 10.6.5 update beta

Thanks to the poster in the 1005HA thread, who alerted us to this fantastic news, and I can confirm its working 100% in my 1001HA on 10.6.2

[edit] during some updates, got kernel panic and since then have been unable to get wireless working again. So here's the deal, don't update beyond 10.6.3 which is where I had it fully working without issue. Once I updated to 10.6.4 (and the wireless was still working) I then also updates some other system files, and began installing stuff I wanted to use... and I do NOT know which particular update was the offender.

Recommendation therefore is not to go further than 10.6.3

[edit #2] Just got wireless going on 10.6.3 by completely redoing the netbook installer process. Not touching it again until I'm in the mood for another update. Might wait til 10.6.5

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
I've beeen running a hackintosh for a year now (plain vanilla - retail install )Just ordered a 1001HA on the strength of this thread. In the UK they are currently available for £150 via the Argos clearance site on eBay. They are refurbs but with a full 12 month warranty I'm happy enough (I hope!!) and think that's still a pretty good price.

I've already DL'd all of the resources listed here except for the new Ralink kext. Uploading.com has now given me a "you have reached your daily download" message for each of the last 3 days even thoughI haven't been near it. Any chance Kyteflyer or someone else could either UL it somewhere else or (if its not too big) PM me and we'll set up a direct email transfer?

Thanks to all the contributors who have got us to this point. Can't wait to start hacking my new netbook!

Baldrick45

PS - Anyone dualbooting on one of these? I would intend to have Snow as my main OS but have Win7 on a 40Gig partition too. Loads of dual boot guides but since Chameleon looks so damn fine, I'd like to keep it as my bootloader rather than rely on the chain0 method. That seems to be do-able but with a few trips round the houses to repair MBRs and stuff before both OSes learn to live in harmony. Any other advice for a half-educated but still amateur hackintosher? Is the 2Gig RAM upgrade something I should look to do quite quickly?

kyteflyer

kyteflyer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I havent upgraded RAM yet, but I will, when I get round to it. All OSes seem really slow on the netbook with 1G.

I just tested the uploading.com link and its working fine right at this moment, but here's a mediafire link. I don't have an account there so I have no clue when it will expire, but I can upload again if necessary, I guess.
http://www.mediafire...07urglcqe3wpj44

dual booting... thought about dual with ubuntu but haven't done so, not with Win... it was as slow as a wet week.

Baldrick45

Baldrick45

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Query for MightycrownG

The DSDT.aml you provide.You say it is editted for 1Gig RAM.

I got the chance of a cheap 2Gig stick and so am delaying my install until I can fit it. Will I need to edit the DSDT file then? If so, any pointers as to what entries need changed?

I used DSDTSE to tweak my DSDT file when getting my desktop system to run but I don't recall anything which was RAM size specific in the settings so your advice on where to look would be much appreciated.

thanks - baldrick45

mightycrown

mightycrown

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Query for MightycrownG

The DSDT.aml you provide.You say it is editted for 1Gig RAM.

I got the chance of a cheap 2Gig stick and so am delaying my install until I can fit it. Will I need to edit the DSDT file then? If so, any pointers as to what entries need changed?

I used DSDTSE to tweak my DSDT file when getting my desktop system to run but I don't recall anything which was RAM size specific in the settings so your advice on where to look would be much appreciated.

thanks - baldrick45

Hi.
Yes you should edit your DSDT if you are using my DSDT.aml. However you can generate a new DSDT.aml with DSDTSE after you upgrade the 2GB ram. The upgraded ram will be patched by the fresh DSDT. You need to edit PWR section to get power button to work, the fix can be found in DSDTSE tool
Hope it helps.

Scroller

Scroller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have 1001 HA and SL 10.6.3 (update from 10.6 by Combo). Everything work fine (without wifi), but I can't make screenshots. When I press Command+Shift+3 (or 4), system make "shot" sound, but don't save any file on Desktop or on HD.

Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy