hd4830

stayinalive

46 posts in this topic

It may help to grab most of those files from their original sources, although I'm sure I included the right ones. You'd have to use that copy of EVOenabler though, I haven't been able to find it anywhere else. The first three would require registration at the other forum.

• 2 weeks later...
1. Install the 3 kext files in the included zip (use kext helper).

Restart with -x

Restart normally

Okay, dumb question here. I've installed 10.6.4 with Chameleon RC5 on my GA-ep45-UD3r with identical video card that's the topic of this thread. How do I restart and feed the system the startup parameters (-x, -v, et cetera) when doing so? :)

@ TheHarbinger First you have specific in what you mean by identical cards because the cards can be identical and have different device id's just name which card you have.

and to explain the part of where to put put the startup parameters just watch my video below and it will show you the familiar Chameleon boot up screen and its prompt line

hi, i managed to change resolution on my hd4830 hdmi-vga-dvi with netkas qe_cl 10.6.3 package, when i installed the 10.6.4 package i couldnt even change the resolution, so i had to restore to 10.6.3 netkas package

how do i activate qe_cl?

im using dvi port (the closest the to the board)

my pc is in my sign

@ TheHarbinger First you have specific in what you mean by identical cards because the cards can be identical and have different device id's just name which card you have.

and to explain the part of where to put put the startup parameters just watch my video below and it will show you the familiar Chameleon boot up screen and its prompt line

By same card, I meant same ID as in post #4: 0x944C1002.

The video is nice, and shows the boot: prompt at the beginning, but not how you get that prompt in the first place. What key or keys are pressed to get that line?

Sorry guys, I was on vacation before and just noticed the replies here. I've only tested the DVI port, which I've always had my main monitor connected to. In Windows I feed the HDMI port out to my TV, but I haven't tried it in OSX. I'll see about testing the VGA/HDMI out in the near future.

@MechAniX: No idea about the mobility version of this card, I've only been experimenting with my own hardware.

As for 10.6.4, I never got around to installing the update. I had planned on installing it and using the kext files from a backup if it didn't work.

I booted into OSX (64-bit kernel by the way) to test the VGA/HDMI. The VGA works, although I can't get the correct resolution. It wants to use 1920x1440 instead of the usual 1920x1080, so the screen is a bit stretched. I've found the HDMI doesn't work at all, which would be nice to get resolved, but isn't a huge priority for me yet. I can't get OSX to detect it as a secondary monitor, and it doesn't work when it's the only display connected.

EDIT: I've got it working! Full resolution with QE/CI in 10.6.3!

I started with a fresh install, so all of the ATI* kexts were present. I went back to this thread, to see if I could more exactly replicate what he had done, and it worked! I'm attaching all of the files to this post so they hopefully won't disappear. I had to get a separate 10.6.2 installation disc just to find the correct version of EVOenabler.

First, this assumes a fresh install of 10.6.3 with no extra graphic options or drivers selected (not even graphics enabler = y). I used PC_EFI v10.6 bootloader, but I'm not sure that matters.

1. Install the 3 kext files in the included zip (use kext helper).

Restart with -x

2. Install EVOenabler.kext

3. Install netkas' QE/CI exotic card package for SL 10.6.2

Restart normally. You should be able to adjust the screen resolution now.

Restart with -x

3. Install netkas' QE/CI exotic card package for SL 10.6.3

Restart normally

Thank you!!! It worked right away!!! At first, I installed the 10.6.3 version, and upgraded to 10.6.4 and no matter what i did, netkas' exotic card package for 10.6.4 did not work! So I reinstalled 10.6.3 and didn't update this time, followed your guide, and it worked!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been through so many forums, guides, etc I'm exhausted Please help with this last step to get my Hackintosh 100% working.

Done this far:

1. Fresh install of 10.6.3 using usb stick install. Graphics kext at this point was evoenabler

2. Upgrade to 10.6.4

3. Changed evoenabler to the legacy4800 kext and edited the iopcimatch to 0x944C1002. Ran also Lizard.

-> Resolution change is now available, using 1920x1080 fine, window maximizing does maximize windows only to about half of the screen (what's this about? :() No QE/CI.

4. Installed Exotic Patch 10.6.4.

-> Same status as above.

5. Also edited system/library/extensions/atiradeonx2000.kext info.plst iopcimatch from 0x94421002 to 0x944C1002

-> No change

I have dvi->vga converter on the second dvi output if it matters. Using my monitor in the first dvi

So, what to do to get QE/CI working and hopefully without breaking everything that works this far

My system:

Gigabyte ud5

sapphire hd4830 512mb dual dvi

i7 920

4gb ram (4 more waiting to get on the board)

1tb samsung spinpoint F3

pci efi bootloader

Thanks in advance!

New fresh install to 10.6.3, legacyati4800controller, exotic patch 10.6.2, then 10.6.3 and now I get Rotation: Supported in system info and ripples when adding stuff to dashboard (though no indication of qe/ci supported in system info). I guess it's working now? ;) Let's try upgrading to 10.6.4 again and new patches

I did the same things you did to get my 4850 sapphire card working.( dvi-hdmi-vga ports)

Only difference is that I didn't install the 10.6.4 exotic patch because I had QE/CI working after going through the 10.6.2 and 10.6.3 packages

also system profiler no longer shows QE/CI because all gpu's in 10.6 and forward will have to support it so it's assumed that all cards have working QE/CI therefore the info about it is no longer there. It's mainly because apple has gone intel cpu for their new gen of computers.

I did the same things you did to get my 4850 sapphire card working.( dvi-hdmi-vga ports)

Only difference is that I didn't install the 10.6.4 exotic patch because I had QE/CI working after going through the 10.6.2 and 10.6.3 packages

also system profiler no longer shows QE/CI because all gpu's in 10.6 and forward will have to support it so it's assumed that all cards have working QE/CI therefore the info about it is no longer there. It's mainly because apple has gone intel cpu for their new gen of computers.

Oh, ok. Well, I don't get the effect anymore in dashboard, so one could imagine it doesn't work? Though Xbench gives somewhat around 100 score of opencl anyway, i don't know if it's anywhere near what 4830 should give, probably not. And I didn't have qe/ci working anymore after upgrading to 10.6.4 (at that point I had exotic 10.6.3 installed) so I tried 10.6.4 patch but didn't help. I guess the problem is that it's dual dvi card. I've seen some posts about getting 4830 work perfectly and this far they all have been dvi/hdmi/vga cards... waiting to get gtx460 support, i've one spare card useless right now :unsure:

One more question. Did you install the patches after upgrading to 10.6.4? Or in 10.6.3 and then upgrade?

see I actually installed then update then had to VNC via my iphone into my hack because I forgot to install the packages after installing the update so I just installed everything like I did originally in 10.6.3 after I had 10.6.4 running and it worked just like it did prior to updating to 10.6.4.

try installing ev0enabler in safe mode then reboot

then boot into safe mode again and install the 10.6.2 package and see if it works out before installing the 10.6.3

if everything works after the 10.6.2 exotic package then don't use the 10.6.3 one.

Oh and btw you should probably try the 10.6.5 beta because I've heard other users reporting that support for ATI cards has been introduced in that version to the point where things such as ev0enabler and such aren't even needed.

If you have developer credentials you should probably try the 10.6.5 beta on a spare hdd or partition if you have any about and see if it's easier than having to install the exotic packages and such.

I actually figured though that the 2x DVI with the s video was easier to get working than the dvi-vga-hdmi cards because for the the DVI, you normally put a dongle on the other port to act as a port terminator for the card.

• 6 months later...

I have this card and have spent the day trying to get it to work. (DVI-HDMI-VGA)

The best I can get is to install the "netkas 10.6.7 and QE/CI patch for radeons" and use EVOenabler.kext.

But this just gives me a screen full on artifacts, can not see anything at all.

Is there something that I may have missed that you guys might have an idea on?

The method in this thread simply gives a blank screen on both the DVI and VGA outs.