• Pip
  • 19 posts
I just bought an old eMac today w.

-700mghz g4
-512mb ram
-40 gig HD
-CD DRIVE
-Running OSX 10.3

I'm trying to update the system to 10.5 and the problems are that 10.5 is on a DVD (so the CD drive isn't going to work). So I hooked up an external DVD drive w. usb. This doesn't seem to work, the system recognizes the disk and prompts me to restart to begin the re-install. But after the re-start it brings me back to the desktop and the install has not begun.

I've assumed that the problem is that I'm using a usb connected external drive. So I'm trying to install from a usb thumb drive. I do know that the 700mghz processor is technically not supported by 10.5 but this guide...

http://lowendmac.com...enfirmware.html

states that I can get around the issue. The only thing that I'm concerned about is if I can actually boot from the usb drive in the same way the above guide tells me to boot from the cd.

Any help would be apperciated.

gengstapo

gengstapo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Is it worth to try? I read somewhere on the net that eMac with 1.42Ghz & 1GB RAM still encounter slow/ lagg problem with leopard..

Alex//3oo1

Alex//3oo1

Cheesecake Destroyer

• Pandora Team
  • 11,618 posts
I installed Leopard on my old G4 667 Digital Audio with Leopard Assist
However, slow system, better Tiger

however you can try.

apoutwest

apoutwest

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
I decided to take everyone's advice and go with a Tiger install instead. I downloaded a CD version of 10.4 which I burned to some CD's with another mac and I'm installing right now.

Moose Tracks

Moose Tracks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
It's a little bit late, but I've found OS X to be a lot like Adobe--a RAM piggy. My 733 G4 with 1.5 GB of RAM runs Leopard nicely. If it runs sluggishly, try throwing more RAM into it.

CursedHax

CursedHax

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Installing Leopard on an eMac? Sounds tricky. These things were discontinued long ago, so I don't think it'll run very smooth.

oldtopman

oldtopman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
I did that n my 800mhz eMac (9.2.2 10.4.11 10.5.2) It works fine for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy