TechTool Pro 4.5 UniBin Intel/PPC Dual Boot DVD Released

BuXb

27 posts in this topic

http://micromat.com

This is first official live disk which boots Mac OS x86 (apart from Apple's Mac OS x86 install DVDs and mobdin's 10.4.1 modified/ extended OS x86 install DVD) - Micromat did it.

For booting our hackintoshes most likely just the known files will have to be replaced (kernel etc.), and we will then finally have a current working live boot disk. So those of you who have a valid 4.x Serial number, go for it: the TechTool Pro 4.5.1 Upgrade Boot DVD just costs $ 25 ! I would even be willing to do some sponsoring here. I am just not going to pay a hundred bucks for the full version ..

BTW, you can still download the Beta 2 of TTP 4.5.1 UniBin for testing and for free (just the app itself, NOT the bootable DVD image).

Will run on our Hackintoshes?
dunno yet - I bet the kernel on the DVD + some other decrypted files will have to be replaced, but that shouldn't be a biggy for us. But still, for it to run on YOUR hackintosh you most likely will have to take off that mask off your face, 'cause the prog will crash once it sees it .. :dev:

Anyway, to keep things a bit apart here, for hackintosh discussion this thread should be used .. :)

Hey BugsBunny, I think you need to consolidate your threads. You've posted basically the same info in three forums :). Maybe consider moving this stuff to Live DVD Dev Forum?

Just wanted to pass that information on to anybody interested in this forum which has grown huge. Eventually it's about an App, so Mash has closed the other thread I opened anyway, which is fine after that posting could inform over 100 people :tomato:

cool, thanks for the hint, LedY :) . This is not the TechTool Pro 4.5.1 (UniBin) Dual Boot DVD but the TechTool Deluxe 3.1.1 UniBin version on an Intel-only Boot-CD - actually even better for our purpose (for comparison betw. Pro/ Deluxe see here).

Micromat has not even mentioned yet on their Homepage that there is such a separate Intel boot CD now, and that TTD is UniBin now, too .. :)

I need to correct myself - TechTool Deluxe 3.1.1 is UniBin and not PPC !!

The dmg is (what else to expect) read only. In Disk Utilities/ Info it correctly says 'bootable'. I converted the dmg with apple's DU to a read/write dmg and replaced our candidates (mach_kernel + the necessary files from Semjaza's most recent decrypts - Finder is not in there, BTW, but I copied it in there). But now DU does not state this image as bootable anymore.

What do I need to do differently?

In the meantime I will burn the original dmg to CD-RW and make an image of it with Transmac, then edit the HFS part of that image with Transmac (copy our canditates into that image), then burn that image. But all of that will also be feasable within Mac OS X I bet .. :idea:

Update: the CD does not even boot a millimeter on my hackintosh (Toshiba Notebook). All other hacked install DVDs would at least start to boot.

I checked the CD with MacDrive - in contrast to our hacked DVDs from Apple this CD does not contain a DOS/ISO boot partition but only the HFS partition to boot from.

I do not have any time left to get deeper into this CD. Hopefully I have supplied some helpful information to carry the project on from here.

Greetz,

Bugs.

< krazubu: If it only has a mac file system, it probably requires openfirmware or EFI to boot, we need to replace it by an "old school" boot

you mean the way our install DVDs are setup up, I guess, with two partitions, one DOS/ISO boot + the HFS partition with the CD itself

< quixos: the application works great. i booted into secondary osX installation on second hard drive and optimized and defragged my main osX boot partition with no problem.

Glad to hear that. But still, that is only the App and not the boot CD itself .. :tomato:

It is the same problem with the orgininal OSX DVD, you can't boot it on a PC because it is designed for EFI. So we can use the boot layer from beta releases from 10.4.1 or 10.4.3 which were designed for the Dev machine and thus had a "classic PC" boot method

Yep, thanks for the confirmation, I had kind of guessed that that's the way our boot DVDs have been "manufactured" .. :D. That started before I got in touch with hackintosh (which was at the state of 10.4.4/5).

Just wanted to pass that information on to anybody interested in this forum which has grown huge. Eventually it's about an App, so Mash has closed the other thread I opened anyway, which is fine after that posting could inform over 100 people :)

;) That is a well meant idea, but if everybody would do that on every thread...

Cross posting or submitting multiple posts to the same question can be annoying, for 2 reasons:

1. Which post does one answer? And linking the 2 posts.

2. When people do a search and stumble onto the "unanswered" posts, they may not look further into the next post to actually read the answer.. Which is why I will place a link to the 2nd post.

Thanks anyway for the head up :D:(

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody who wants to download the TechTool Deluxe BootCD (PPC or Intel), download it right from Apple. Choose your language at the bottom of the page, then you need to enter a serialnumber which I may not post in here .. :blink:

then you can choose if you want to dowload the PPC or the Intel Bootimage (or both.. ;) ).

Anybody who wants to download the TechTool Deluxe BootCD (PPC or Intel), download it right from Apple. Choose your language at the bottom of the page, then you need to enter a serialnumber which I may not post in here .. :D

then you can choose if you want to dowload the PPC or the Intel Bootimage (or both.. :sorcerer: ).

Do you have a link? The boardsoft seems to have simpyfied your link, so it does not work. You can use tinyurl.com for that.