AMD buying ATI

xiberia

39 posts in this topic

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/21/technology...on=money_latest

the deal's not done yet, but.... I wonder how it would affect Macs, since Apple have aligned themselves with Intel. Maybe AMD would say "put AMD chips in your Macs and we'll let you use our (ATI) graphics" or something.

Dunno... its interesting anyway (sorry if I posted in the wrong forum)

Wow, how interesting. Sometimes mergers are a good thing, sometimes they're not... but AMD has been on a roll lately and a move to pick up ATI would make them even more competitive with Intel.

Thanks for the link!

(Thread moved to Front Page News, since it's a good enough story to have people vote on)

This means that APPLE has been locked out to buy either AMD processors or OPT for NVIDIA....

which makes chances better 4 any PC user to survive in the fights between Macintosh and PC...

and 4 AMD.. ur simply genius 4 making such a positive approach in the interest of an AMD user...

:)

Funny thing is that AMD always had a better relationship with nVIDIA.

With this nVIDIA will just stop making chipsets for the AMD platform? They were the best chipsets for an enthusiast/gaming rig.

But a merge with ATI sounds interesting too, imagine graphic cards on die, or finally a chipset who really knows how the architecture works, just like the Intel chipsets for the Intel processors.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/21/technology...on=money_latest

the deal's not done yet, but.... I wonder how it would affect Macs, since Apple have aligned themselves with Intel. Maybe AMD would say "put AMD chips in your Macs and we'll let you use our (ATI) graphics" or something.

Dunno... its interesting anyway (sorry if I posted in the wrong forum)

I don't think Apple would take kindly to being bullied like that, they would just use Nvidia. Intel clearly has the performance advantage and has accelerated their release of quad core to forth quarter 2006 so they should have the advantage for some time.

I don't think this means apple will NEED to switch anything (CPU or GPU provider), because of this, at least for long wile.

And if for some reason they have to switch partners is easier to chance Graphic cards providers than CPU makers. And I don't believe that apple has any exclusive deal on ATI, they might have offered apple a better deal, but for the mac pro there is probably going to be a nvidia option, if not, well, they will eventually.

not to mention the Quad-cores that AMD are hoping to bring out next year

Intel is bringing quad core CPUs by the end of this year (Ketsfield and Clovertown)

Haha, interesting news... Unfortunately that means ATI users will have to switch to nVidia. (geez, I hate that)

I wonder what certain members of the community will have to say about that, since now it looks like nVidia will join the "Evil Empire" along with Apple and Intel... :dev:

It might be that "SJ is a pathetic fagot" but he will be a nVidia using fagot. :)

Haha, interesting news... Unfortunately that means ATI users will have to switch to nVidia. (geez, I hate that)

I wonder what certain members of the community will have to say about that, since now it looks like nVidia will join the "Evil Empire" along with Apple and Intel... :dev:

It might be that "SJ is a pathetic fagot" but he will be a nVidia using fagot. :)

That the merge would be {censored} at best and i don't see the point for amd to merge with ati. Ati sucks why would you want to merge with such scum and neglect your best partner nvidia, it doesn't make sense. I don't want to think about that , i can see enthusiast people abandoning amd in drooves with intel with the performance advantage and nvidia on its side. It doesn't make anysense for me

I donot believe AMD had a choice. I mean nVidia is much larger, compared to ATI. But I guess this can only lead to faster ATI based AMD mobos.

As for Apple, I donot think they will be bullied. I mean for the Tower Macs, they will have to develop nVidia drivers, as CAD and 3D design, suposedly works better on the Quadro Series.

On the other hand, I am sure AMD wont like to lose a big ATI customer, maybe we will soon have AMD Mac Servers or other machines. I mean there have been many rumours about AMD chips is Apple Servers/Computers.

I think the merger is going to work out great if/when it happens. AMD wouldn't force Apple to switch to their chips, I don't think they'd have the power to do so nor the resources to satisfy Apple's needs. AMD has been ahead in the processor market for quite some time, but once those conroe cores come out, Intel is going to have the lead for quite a while unless AMD has something hidden up their sleeve.

Funny thing is that AMD always had a better relationship with nVIDIA.

With this nVIDIA will just stop making chipsets for the AMD platform? They were the best chipsets for an enthusiast/gaming rig.

But a merge with ATI sounds interesting too, imagine graphic cards on die, or finally a chipset who really knows how the architecture works, just like the Intel chipsets for the Intel processors.

AMD takeing ATI out may help Nvidia

baah, i could care less with who merged or baught who. All I care about is better driver for the Linux community, not just Windows. No direct rendering for XGL sucks and ATI needs to get with it. nV is doing a much better job on the open source project so my next card will be from nVidia.

For the windows gaming community, the merger is probably good news. For the linux community, nothing is really affected. I'm actually a 100% linux guy, so I know what you're talking about. :P XGL is pretty damn nice.

It doesn't make anysense for me

It makes sense this way:

(1) To compete with Intel, AMD must leverage HyperTransport (HT).

(2) AMD plans to do this by making a dual-socket platform for consumers (AMD's "4 X 4" platform).

(3) To make a cheap high-performance system, AMD wants to get rid of expensive graphics cards and instead fill the second motherboard socket with an HT-GPU.

(4) Neither ATI nor Nvidia will make HT-GPUs just for the small AMD market, so AMD must buy ATI (AMD cannot afford Nvidia) to get HT-GPUs produced.

See these for more details:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060602-6977.html

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/amd-ati.ars/1

Morever, as ATI needs to contract for GPU fabrication which AMD can provide, it makes sense that way as well. In short, it is very expensive to develop chip fabrication processes and AMD can help offset that expense by producing ATI GPUs (and vice versa).

Morever, as ATI needs to contract for GPU fabrication which AMD can provide, it makes sense that way as well. In short, it is very expensive to develop chip fabrication processes and AMD can help offset that expense by producing ATI GPUs (and vice versa).

This can only help ati since ati doesn't have fabs and amd has big problems ramping up productions right now, i don't see how they can make gpus for ati when they are unable to make enough cpus.

The ht gpu doesn't make sense unless you aim to the budget low-level market. The 4x4 sounds like a desperate move and k8l is vaporware , what doesn't make sense for me is how wasting money on ati can help amd when they desperately need to invest money in R&D to make out with a competive new core

Keep in mind that it's not like amd is full of cash to waste and the price war will cripple their revenues big times plus they don't have anything to counterstrike

The way i see it is that AMD will lose the nForce chipset, but ATI already makes AMD chipsets... they are not the best but with a merger with amd they will be able to make extreamly awesome chipsets.

ATI will get GPUs for extreamly chip... and hopefully great quility / power. Also ATI will have much more money to develop their video cards.

I doubt apple will have to switch to AMD or nVidia... but if they are forced to (again i doubt it) they will just make an nVidia kext (or just release the one they have already made).

The bottem line is that this is good news for ATI and AMD; I doubt apple will be effect but if they are we will have some happy nVidia users in our fourms.

The way i see it is that AMD will lose the nForce chipset, but ATI already makes AMD chipsets... they are not the best but with a merger with amd they will be able to make extreamly awesome chipsets.

how this is supposed to happen ati is a second world tier, nvidia is the best chipset supplier and rest assured that the entusiastic market will be lost, amd people besides some looser in this forum hate ati with a passion.

I doubt apple will have to switch to nVidia...

Apple has consistently used both ATI and Nvidia, it has not generally favored one over the other. I certainly expect at least one Nvidia board to be offered with the Mac Pro.

this will hopefully be a good thing, because maybe they can benifit and learn from each otehr, and it might bring prices down too because then they dont have to spend as much because they can use joint research.

max

it will be a good thing, as both processors and graphics cards need to be able to do more without contributing to global warming. We'll see what happens from there.

As for AMD possibly screwing Apple--IBM and Motorola found out firsthand what happens when you screw with Apple. You get dumped.

Well... I don't care if my video card is ATI or nVidia... i just buy the cheapest one. (I only buy AMD cpus... i guess im loser)

The fact remains that AMD figured that having a GPU suppler would be an advantage over Intel... nVidia was way out of their price range... where else would you go for a GPU supplyer.