I did it all, but still no go...I think I did anyways!

15 posts in this topic

I have a Trendnet TEW-443PI which is said to work out of the box with 10.4.6 (which is what I'm running) but it doesn't seem to. I found that I should just have to follow some simple instructions.

Ok, so this is the instructions I found to install the Trendnet TEW-443PI:

I have TEW-443PI, and it works perfectly out of the box. You should edit /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist with your device and vendor ID to have support.

This was taken from this thread http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=21873

Now here is the info that I took directly out of the device manager in Windows:

Device Instance ID:

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0013&SUBSYS_2051168C&REV_01\4&1A671D0C&0&30F0

Hardware Ids:

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0013&SUBSYS_2051168C&REV_01

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0013&SUBSYS_2051168C

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0013&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0013&CC_0200

Matching Device ID:

pci\ven_168c&dev_0013&subsys_2051168c

I added this (the bold line) to info.plist in the AirPortAtheros5424.kext package:

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AirPort_Athr5424</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,0013</string>

</array>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

I then repaired the disk permissions, rebooted, but still no airport.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Am I taking the correct device/vendor id? Please help!!! :D

hey, i have the same card and i bought it because i was told it would work out of the box and i have the same vendor and dev id as you do. I believe pci168c,0013 is correct. However, mine doesn't work either and i'm not sure why its supposed to work out of the box and mine doesn't.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the TEW-443PI and its works flawlessly with Apple driver!!!

The trick is, when you install the OS, "DO NOT" install nothing supplied on the disk, because is supported by default apple driver, only thing what you people have to do, do not have connected or installed the card, first install LAN cards and after can be installed...and will work.

So, ;) from the beginning.....

To have this card supported, first install operating system without the card psyhically connected, after that install other LAN cards, in the end put the card in your hackintosh, and will work........so whats that so complicated?????

Edit: Actually, the working driver is IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.5 which can be found at Apple website, updates...and install only the kext with pacifist.

Edit one more time: Later I used the kext from 10.4.6, but anyways the kext's plist has to be edited coresponding to device and vendor ID.

Actually mine was "pci168,001c" but will work only if you add without "00" so the correct ID will be pci168,1c.

In leopard, things could be more complicated due to kext compatibility....

Edited by Gdfath3r

• 11 months later...

@imakemac: the correct id to add to the plist would be

<string>pci168c,13</string>

without the 2 '0's before '13'!

I should have the same card (Trendnet) as you and it works like a charm! Maybe you also need to edit the NetworkInterfaces.plist like i describe it for structuredloud.

@structuredloud:

u need to edit NetworkInterfaces.plist:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

Change 'BSD Name' from 'en0' to 'en1' and and 'IOInterfaceUnit' from '0' to '1'. Then restart and after booting open the Networkconfiguration Utility. It should recognize a new Airportadapter then and after that you can configure everything like as if you have a real airport device.

• 1 month later...

Ok, with Leopard I tried adding the strings above to the info.plist as above but it didnt recognize..

So, I tried using the 10.4.5 IO80211 kext , repaired permissions etc and rebooted. This time, it recognizes the airport device and I can configure it, BUT when I hit Turn On Airport it doesnt do anything. So it just stays off and I cant turn it on.

Checked the logs but nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm having the same experience that JReate had. Currently using 10.5.2 from Kaly, vanilla kernel. I have the TEW-443PI and with the original kext it doesn't show up. After using the 10.4.5 IO80211Family.kext I can see it in Sys Profiler and in Network Sys prefs, but I can't turn it on. I've tried editing the AirPortAth...kext and NetworkInterfaces.plist. Most of the time the new kext will give kernel panic after rebooting. Anyone had any luck? What am I doing wrong, or is it simply not going to work with 10.5.2 Vanilla?

EDIT: After editing NetworkInterfaces.plist my network in sys prefs is a bit screwed up. Under "Airport" I have my usual lan card options, and under "Ethernet" I have my airport options.

• 1 month later...

Anyone had any luck? I'd happily switch to OSX 100% of the time if I can get this network driver to work. I'm currently using XP 64bit and not everything works on xp 64, and I don't like vista. OSX is the perfect switch, if only I could browse the inet....

• 11 months later...
Ok, with Leopard I tried adding the strings above to the info.plist as above but it didnt recognize..

So, I tried using the 10.4.5 IO80211 kext , repaired permissions etc and rebooted. This time, it recognizes the airport device and I can configure it, BUT when I hit Turn On Airport it doesnt do anything. So it just stays off and I cant turn it on.

Checked the logs but nothing.

Yes, because is missing the compatibile Apple80211.framework ( located in privateframework directory )

• 2 years later...

This card does work perfectly and you dont need any extra LAN cards. I'm posting this so people can refer back as I cant find the answer anywhere on GOOGLE.

My Device ID is [168c:0013]

[sOLVED - Solution Below]

1. Install Mac OS X with no extra network drivers.

2. Open Utilities -> Directory Utility and press the lock button (type password)

3. Edit -> Enable Root User (type a password you will remember)

4. Logout and Login as root.

5. Go to /library/preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist <-- Open with Textedit

6. scroll down to <key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

and change it too

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en2</string>

Same with

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>2</integer>

FILE -> SAVE

7. Go to /system/library/extensions and find IO80211Family.kext Right Click -> Show package contents

8. /contents/Plugins/ right click -> show package contents on AirportAtheros.kext

9. Open /contents/Info.plist with TextEdit and scroll down to <key>Atheros Wireless LAN PCI</key>

10. <string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,23</string>

<string>pci168c,13</string> <---- Edit this last string to pci168c,13

11. FILE -> SAVE & Reboot

12. You should now see an airport icon when you reboot. Go into the network settings and press Apply.

13. You should Now be able to connect to wireless networks.