Help with installing Mac on VMWare Plz help

46 posts in this topic

Can anyone help me? I am tring to install Mac on VMWare with the "darwin-snow.iso" and even with I press F8 I still get this error message from VMWare

"Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Workstation supports hardware virtulization"

I have also tried using a PS/2 keyboard but still no luck. I do not know if the F8 key is not working or if it is another problem please help.

Can anyone help me? I am tring to install Mac on VMWare with the "darwin-snow.iso" and even with I press F8 I still get this error message from VMWare

"Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Workstation supports hardware virtulization"

I have also tried using a PS/2 keyboard but still no luck. I do not know if the F8 key is not working or if it is another problem please help.

You either don't have VT-x enabled, or your processor doesn't have it at all.

Run this tool:

http://jessiray.co.cc/2009/08/24/utilise-t...-x-securable-2/

Post your results and I will help you.

You either don't have VT-x enabled, or your processor doesn't have it at all.

Run this tool:

http://jessiray.co.cc/2009/08/24/utilise-t...-x-securable-2/

Post your results and I will help you.

64 Maximum Bit Length

Yes Hardware D.E.P.

No Hardware Virtulization

So I take it there is no way to run Mac in VMWare? As it has been such a bi*** tring to install many different brews of OSX on my PC. Every time i get the "Still waiting for root device error" while trying to boot off the install disk and on one version I got it installed but would not boot into Mac because of the same error. And the settings in my XFX nForce 680i motherboard BIOS are no help at all. I also have installed Mac on an IDE hard drive but still "waiting for rood device error" any suggestions would be great. Thank You

Use this guide to create a Leopard VM, make it with the minimal seetings as in the tutorial, we will just use this to get Snow Leopard installed:

[How To] Install iAtkos v7 on VMware Workstationhttp://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=198448

Then use this threqad to get a Snow Leopard 10.6.0 VM install on your machine:

SnowKitty running on VMware Workstation, Lo & Behold http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189969

Then install this display driver kext, select the resolution you want, or your desktops resolution for full screen use:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188962

Here you will find a package called, guest_patches.pkg, install this and it will add support for auto-resize, so it will resize to the window that u desire:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/Display

Install this to support audio in your VM, use the Snow Leopard version:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=195325

If you wanna update to 10.6.3 or 10.6.4, use the combo updates and in this thread around the last page, Zenith432 the creator created a kernel for those versions, a 10.6.3 and a 10.6.4, make sure to REPLACE the kernel b4 you RESTART, also remove any unwanted kexts that the 2nd thread link I posted tells you to remove:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...9969&st=140

Now you have a fully functional VM that will depend on your processor/gfx card/ram for speed. I have no VT-x and it runs perfectly fine for xcode and other stuff.If you have any questions or problems, let me know so I can help/

Thanks Man I really appreciate your help. I actually got it to load, I am currently installing Leopard as I am posting this. I am glad to hear X-Code works because that is what I will primarily be using it for. I will let you know how things go after I am finished.

Use this guide to create a Leopard VM, make it with the minimal seetings as in the tutorial, we will just use this to get Snow Leopard installed:

[How To] Install iAtkos v7 on VMware Workstationhttp://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=198448

Then use this threqad to get a Snow Leopard 10.6.0 VM install on your machine:

SnowKitty running on VMware Workstation, Lo & Behold http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189969

Then install this display driver kext, select the resolution you want, or your desktops resolution for full screen use:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188962

Here you will find a package called, guest_patches.pkg, install this and it will add support for auto-resize, so it will resize to the window that u desire:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/Display

Install this to support audio in your VM, use the Snow Leopard version:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=195325

If you wanna update to 10.6.3 or 10.6.4, use the combo updates and in this thread around the last page, Zenith432 the creator created a kernel for those versions, a 10.6.3 and a 10.6.4, make sure to REPLACE the kernel b4 you RESTART, also remove any unwanted kexts that the 2nd thread link I posted tells you to remove:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...9969&st=140

Now you have a fully functional VM that will depend on your processor/gfx card/ram for speed. I have no VT-x and it runs perfectly fine for xcode and other stuff.If you have any questions or problems, let me know so I can help/

I got Leo up fine but when I am installing Snow from within Leopard I don't get an error but every time at about 25%. The installation stops and goes from...

This Screen

post-635796-1278480614_thumb.png

To This Screen

post-635796-1278480606_thumb.png

And says Install Will Resume after Restart. Any Suggestions? Thanks.

I got Leo up fine but when I am installing Snow from within Leopard I don't get an error but every time at about 25%. The installation stops and goes from...

This Screen

post-635796-1278480614_thumb.png

To This Screen

post-635796-1278480606_thumb.png

And says Install Will Resume after Restart. Any Suggestions? Thanks.

You need to do an offline install, did u refer to the second guide?

A second virtual disk with your desired size for snow (mine is 80gb), must be attatched to your leopard machine in vmware.

Then you insert your dvd and browse to the folder that the tutorial tells you, then run OSInstall.mpkg and select your second hard disk as your installation destination, removing Language and Printers.

Make sure you follow that tutorial very closely and if you are confused let me know before you try anything, that way you don't mess ur install up.

A second virtual disk with your desired size for snow (mine is 80gb), must be attatched to your leopard machine in vmware.

Then you insert your dvd and browse to the folder that the tutorial tells you, then run OSInstall.mpkg and select your second hard disk as your installation destination, removing Language and Printers.

Make sure you follow that tutorial very closely and if you are confused let me know before you try anything, that way you don't mess ur install up.

I already messed the first install up so I am reinstalling Leopard. I used the install, but I missed that offline install part. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks Again!

Now my dilema is I cannot access the files on the DVD. All I see it the X background with Install Mac OS X, Optional Installs, and Instructions. I cannot figure out how to get into all of the internal files.

Now my dilema is I cannot access the files on the DVD. All I see it the X background with Install Mac OS X, Optional Installs, and Instructions. I cannot figure out how to get into all of the internal files.

In snow go to the top menu bar, and should be a go, drop down, then folders and paste what the guide tells you without the OSInstall.mpkg at the end

In snow go to the top menu bar, and should be a go, drop down, then folders and paste what the guide tells you without the OSInstall.mpkg at the end

Alright I got to the installer and it gets as far as installing the applications like iTunes but soon after iTunes was installed (the progress bar was at close to 75%) I got this error. I have also set all the permissions using sudo in Terminal.

post-635796-1278605227_thumb.png

I assumed that the necessary files were installed so I continued the guide by deleting some files on the Snow Hard Drive and added new ones from the vmsl.tar.gz file. I did not install the boot loader that it said to install because it said I could use the one from "Leopard" (I used this one for testing purposes). And I tried at first with no commands at boot and that failed I also tried "-v -f busratio=7 cpus=1" and heres what I got in VMWare.

post-635796-1278605481_thumb.png

Any Ideas?

Did you remove the language and printers?

My only needed boot option is "-f"

you have intel processor right?

Didn't know I had to do that, I did not see it in the guide. Anyway I am almost done installing without language packs and print drivers.

Didn't know I had to do that, I did not see it in the guide. Anyway I am almost done installing without language packs and print drivers.

Great news mate :D

Let me know if u want I send u my vmx so u can use its setting optimized for Snow Leo

Great news mate :D

Let me know if u want I send u my vmx so u can use its setting optimized for Snow Leo

could I try your .vmx

I blew everything away Reinstalled Leopard then Snow Leopard (Which successfully installed after removing printer drivers and language files) skipped installing the boot loader to Snow Leopard installed the VMSL files. and when I tried to boot using the bootloader that came with iATKOS this is what I got for an error.

post-635796-1278720926_thumb.png

So I found this post and at Post #24 it said to edit my .vmx file for a PS/2 keyboard so I added that line to it with a "FALSE" value. After that this is the error I got...

post-635796-1278720936_thumb.png

And after I hit "Ok" this was the rest of the output.

post-635796-1278720947_thumb.png

What do you suggest?

could I try your .vmx

I blew everything away Reinstalled Leopard then Snow Leopard (Which successfully installed after removing printer drivers and language files) skipped installing the boot loader to Snow Leopard installed the VMSL files. and when I tried to boot using the bootloader that came with iATKOS this is what I got for an error.

post-635796-1278720926_thumb.png

So I found this post and at Post #24 it said to edit my .vmx file for a PS/2 keyboard so I added that line to it with a "FALSE" value. After that this is the error I got...

post-635796-1278720936_thumb.png

And after I hit "Ok" this was the rest of the output.

post-635796-1278720947_thumb.png

What do you suggest?

You gotta followe the guide mate. Why didn't you install the latest pcefi or chameleon bootloader.

I use PCEFI v10.6, install that to the snow drive b4 you try to boot from it

vmx:

.encoding = "windows-1252"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
maxvcpus = "1"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "2048"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X Snow Leopard.vmdk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "auto detect"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
svga.autodetect = "TRUE"
svga.vramSize = "268435456"
svga.enableScreenObject = "TRUE"
svga.enableTracesReg = "TRUE"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
displayName = "Mac OS X Snow Leopard"
guestOS = "freebsd"
nvram = "Mac OS X Snow Leopard.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
extendedConfigFile = "Mac OS X Snow Leopard.vmxf"
checkpoint.vmState = ""
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:9a:cd:21"
uuid.location = "56 4d e8 9d 9b 0b 1d fc-07 12 d3 a7 a5 9a cd 21"
uuid.bios = "56 4d e8 9d 9b 0b 1d fc-07 12 d3 a7 a5 9a cd 21"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
replay.filename = ""
ide0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "-875006419"
tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"
tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "TRUE"
ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"
gui.fullScreenAtPowerOn = "TRUE"
mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
checkpoint.vmState.readOnly = "FALSE"
numvcpus = "2"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "2"
monitor.virtual_exec = "automatic"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "automatic"
keyboardAndMouseProfile = "macProfile"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.powerOn = "soft"
powerType.suspend = "soft"
powerType.reset = "soft"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
paevm = "TRUE"
chipset.useAcpiBattery = "TRUE"
chipset.useApmBattery = "TRUE"
usb.autoConnect.device0 = ""
smc.present = "FALSE"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
usb.autoConnect.device1 = ""

Make sure you go in bios and remove the floppy controllers

You gotta followe the guide mate. Why didn't you install the latest pcefi or chameleon bootloader.

I use PCEFI v10.6, install that to the snow drive b4 you try to boot from it

vmx:

.encoding = "windows-1252"
 config.version = "8"
 virtualHW.version = "7"
 maxvcpus = "1"
 scsi0.present = "TRUE"
 scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
 memsize = "2048"
 ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
 ide0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X Snow Leopard.vmdk"
 ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
 ide1:0.fileName = "auto detect"
 ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
 ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
 ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
 ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"
 ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
 usb.present = "TRUE"
 ehci.present = "TRUE"
 sound.present = "TRUE"
 sound.fileName = "-1"
 sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
 svga.autodetect = "TRUE"
 svga.vramSize = "268435456"
 svga.enableScreenObject = "TRUE"
 svga.enableTracesReg = "TRUE"
 pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
 pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
 pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
 pciBridge4.functions = "8"
 pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
 pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
 pciBridge5.functions = "8"
 pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
 pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
 pciBridge6.functions = "8"
 pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
 pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
 pciBridge7.functions = "8"
 vmci0.present = "TRUE"
 roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"
 displayName = "Mac OS X Snow Leopard"
 guestOS = "freebsd"
 nvram = "Mac OS X Snow Leopard.nvram"
 virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
 extendedConfigFile = "Mac OS X Snow Leopard.vmxf"
 checkpoint.vmState = ""
 ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:9a:cd:21"
 uuid.location = "56 4d e8 9d 9b 0b 1d fc-07 12 d3 a7 a5 9a cd 21"
 uuid.bios = "56 4d e8 9d 9b 0b 1d fc-07 12 d3 a7 a5 9a cd 21"
 cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
 replay.supported = "FALSE"
 replay.filename = ""
 ide0:0.redo = ""
 pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
 pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
 pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
 pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
 pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
 scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
 usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
 ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
 sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"
 ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"
 vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"
 vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
 ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
 vmci0.id = "-875006419"
 tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"
 tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
 ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "TRUE"
 ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"
 gui.fullScreenAtPowerOn = "TRUE"
 mks.enable3d = "TRUE"
 checkpoint.vmState.readOnly = "FALSE"
 numvcpus = "2"
 cpuid.coresPerSocket = "2"
 monitor.virtual_exec = "automatic"
 monitor.virtual_mmu = "automatic"
 keyboardAndMouseProfile = "macProfile"
 powerType.powerOff = "soft"
 powerType.powerOn = "soft"
 powerType.suspend = "soft"
 powerType.reset = "soft"
 ich7m.present = "TRUE"
 paevm = "TRUE"
 chipset.useAcpiBattery = "TRUE"
 chipset.useApmBattery = "TRUE"
 usb.autoConnect.device0 = ""
 smc.present = "FALSE"
 floppy0.present = "FALSE"
 usb.autoConnect.device1 = ""

Make sure you go in bios and remove the floppy controllers

The reason I did not install the boot loader because I was going to use the one that came with Leopard for testing. And the last time I installed the netkas's pcefi 10.6 bootloader, dont ask me how, but somehow it installed on the Leopard drive too. I even removed the Snow drive and the netkas's pcefi 10.6 bootloader still poped up to boot into Leopard and that boot loader would not work for Leopard which is why I had to reinstall leopard. I have also tried installing the bootloader you recommended and while trying to install it via Terminal I got this error which makes no sense because it is all pointed to the correct files and directories.

post-635796-1278810029_thumb.png

I hate putting you through all this I might just say screw it.

The reason I did not install the boot loader because I was going to use the one that came with Leopard for testing. And the last time I installed the netkas's pcefi 10.6 bootloader, dont ask me how, but somehow it installed on the Leopard drive too. I even removed the Snow drive and the netkas's pcefi 10.6 bootloader still poped up to boot into Leopard and that boot loader would not work for Leopard which is why I had to reinstall leopard. I have also tried installing the bootloader you recommended and while trying to install it via Terminal I got this error which makes no sense because it is all pointed to the correct files and directories.

post-635796-1278810029_thumb.png

I hate putting you through all this I might just say screw it.

Its fine with me man, I enjoy to help.

Are you using the non raid guide?

Also did u in terminal, navigate to the place where you saved the pcefi 10.6 folder?

Its fine with me man, I enjoy to help.

Are you using the non raid guide?

Also did u in terminal, navigate to the place where you saved the pcefi 10.6 folder?

I used non-RAID install. The first time I Googled PCEFI v10.6 and downloaded this but that version was the one that gave me that weird error in the Terminal window, I think a file or something must be corrupt in it because when I used pcefi10.6vm.tar.gz it installed. But once again it ruined my Leopard installation by installing the boot loader to both drives somehow, I have Snow and Leo drives backed up to when they were first installed. I think it could be a hardware problem or something. If you want to see my computer specs they are here.

Also would you be able to confirm here that post #10 is the correct one to be following?

I used non-RAID install. The first time I Googled PCEFI v10.6 and downloaded this but that version was the one that gave me that weird error in the Terminal window, I think a file or something must be corrupt in it because when I used pcefi10.6vm.tar.gz it installed. But once again it ruined my Leopard installation by installing the boot loader to both drives somehow, I have Snow and Leo drives backed up to when they were first installed. I think it could be a hardware problem or something. If you want to see my computer specs they are here.

Also would you be able to confirm here that post #10 is the correct one to be following?

Use that pcefi10.6.vm.tar.gz

Your problem is that you are confused mate. You need to understand a few things. My guess is that your mistake comes from the last command on the non-raid install:

You type this:

sudo cp boot /

What is your current root directory? Leopard root right. So you need to type this:

sudo cp boot /Volumes/Snow

That points to your snow volumes root directory. Now you won't mess up the leopard.

After that create a new machine with the same name as my vmx. Copyand replace your second vmdk file and boot from that machine. Remember to disable floppy controls in guest bios.

Use that pcefi10.6.vm.tar.gz

Your problem is that you are confused mate. You need to understand a few things. My guess is that your mistake comes from the last command on the non-raid install:

You type this:

sudo cp boot /

What is your current root directory? Leopard root right. So you need to type this:

sudo cp boot /Volumes/Snow

That points to your snow volumes root directory. Now you won't mess up the leopard.

After that create a new machine with the same name as my vmx. Copyand replace your second vmdk file and boot from that machine. Remember to disable floppy controls in guest bios.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

That was the problem, I am in Mac Snow and got into the Desktop created account and everything. However I am unable to move the mouse at all. I noticed the 3rd link u sent me talks about a mouse driver. Do I need to install this using the keyboard?

Its a display driver with a mouse kext which enhances performance.

But I forgot an important step:

Search for donks latest darwin iso, with the latest vmware tools v3.1, mount to ur machine and install b4 you continue anything.

Its a display driver with a mouse kext which enhances performance.

But I forgot an important step:

Search for donks latest darwin iso, with the latest vmware tools v3.1, mount to ur machine and install b4 you continue anything.

Is the file http://www.filedropper.com/darwin-wks7 (Workstation 7 and Snow Leopard support) at this post the correct darwin.iso to download? And do I boot from it (If yes did not work) or install it from Snow (With keyboard) or from Leopard. Thanks for your help.