Intel HD Graphics / GMA 5700

sockerkid

1,324 posts in this topic

@fmac - How exactly do you use anVAL? Is that what you have used to add automatic display detection? It doen't work if you load a modified Intel HD Frame Buffer kext?

@fiox89 - The results of yurich's are achieved by an EFI string. If you use OSX86 Tools to create a custom NVIDIA String, and paste it as a device in your com.apple.Boot.plist it will display his information. The issue with NVIDIA Optimus is not that the cards are unsupported (i have a 310m in my ASUS K42JC), but that there is no physical way of connecting to the NVIDIA card. Everything runs through the Intel HD Graphics card.

ok not really crashes, more hangs... when I updated to 10.6.5 it just hang.... after removing intel graphics kext it also hang so maybe it' s a problem with this laptop.

If you want to update to 10.6.5 without any problem, you'll need to run these commands in Terminal while installing the update.

i=0; while ([ $i == 0 ]); do if ([ -d "AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext" ]); then i=$(( $i + 1 )); echo "AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext found $i time"; mv AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext.10.6.5; else echo "AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext Not Found"; echo "Resetting..."; i=0; fi; done;

x=0; while ([ $x == 0 ]); do if ([ -d "AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext" ]); then x=$(( $x + 1 )); echo "AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext found $x time"; mv AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext.10.6.5; else echo "AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext Not Found"; echo "Resetting..."; x=0; fi; done;

Make sure you change the directory to /System/Library/Extensions/ before executing the above commands.

@fmac - How exactly do you use anVAL? Is that what you have used to add automatic display detection? It doen't work if you load a modified Intel HD Frame Buffer kext?

@fiox89 - The results of yurich's are achieved by an EFI string. If you use OSX86 Tools to create a custom NVIDIA String, and paste it as a device in your com.apple.Boot.plist it will display his information. The issue with NVIDIA Optimus is not that the cards are unsupported (i have a 310m in my ASUS K42JC), but that there is no physical way of connecting to the NVIDIA card. Everything runs through the Intel HD Graphics card.

To use AnVAL boot loader, if you already using Chameleon 2 RC5, you just need to replace the boot file with AnVAL's. The graphic card detection feature should be automatic with GraphicsEnabler=Yes flag. What modified Intel HD Frame Buffer kext you're referring to? Can you give me the link to it?

Yes, you're right. Most Asus notebooks with Nvidia GPU (except the G series) are using Optimus technology. The output from Nvidia GPU are relayed by Intel HD Graphics to the monitor. Nvidia GPU in this case just a graphics processor without direct connection with the monitor/output. Before we can figure out how to get the Nvidia GPU working, we need to get the Intel HD Graphics to work first. On my notebook, the Nvidia GPU already recognized but it can't be use right now because of the Intel HD Graphics.

Like I said earlier: The auto resolution fix isn't going to magically solve the frame buffer problems. However. It is good to see that people are trying to fix issues in Chameleon because in the end... we all are going to have fun with it.

My solution, because I have one already – for Revolution – is to read the EDID and set the resolution based on that. Why? Because our display is what sets the standard. Not what your VGA ROM supports – up to 2048 * 1536 here – or what your display is set to.

Also. The table in the VGA ROM will always be at the exact same spot, and your LCD panel in your notebook won't change overnight, so why on earth would you want to search for it on each and every boot?

Who here boots OS X in a reduced screen resolution? I most certainly don't. Yeah. Let's try 800 x 600 today. No thanks.

btw just disassembled the frame buffer kext, but yeah the function names aren't really helpful + it's way too much code ;)  on the other side, AppleGraphicsControl.kext DOES contain functions related to the gmux so they could be helpful. But I still need to learn some more x86 asm before I can understand them completely.

Gentlemen ... have an idea to do it all at DSDT / I have not yet obtained. Spread the compiled DSDT on Asus k42jc

you can set an intel HD video taken with the Mac Book Pro 2010 release, and two video cards

Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, 0x00)
                    OperationRegion (VSID, PCI_Config, 0x00, 0x04)
                    Field (VSID, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
                    {
                        REG0,   32
                    }

Name (PCTG, Package (0x0B) {})
                    Method (PRST, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        If (LEqual (REG0, 0xFFFFFFFF))
                        {
                            Return (Zero)
                        }
                        Else
                        {
                            Return (One)
                        }
                    }

Name (UPDN, One)
                    Name (NXTD, 0x01)
                    Name (LCDM, 0x01)
                    Name (CRTM, 0x02)
                    Name (TVOM, 0x04)
                    Name (DVIM, 0x08)
                    Name (HDMM, 0x10)
                    Name (PACH, Zero)
                    Name (DONE, Zero)
                    Name (DOSF, One)
                    Name (BRNC, Zero)
                    Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        GETD ()
                    }

Method (_DOS, 1, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        And (Arg0, 0x03, DOSF)
                        Store (ShiftRight (Arg0, 0x02), BRNC)
                        And (BRNC, 0x01, BRNC)
                    }

Name (DODP, Package (0x03)
                    {
                        0x00010100, 
                        0x00010110, 
                        0xFFFF0010
                    })
                    Method (_DOD, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        If (LNot (PACH))
                        {
                            If (LEqual (\_SB.VGAF, 0x02))
                            {
                                Store (0x0220, Index (DODP, Match (DODP, MEQ, 0xFFFF0010, MTR, 0x00, 
                                    0x00)))
                            }
                            Else
                            {
                                Store (0x0121, Index (DODP, Match (DODP, MEQ, 0xFFFF0010, MTR, 0x00, 
                                    0x00)))
                            }

Store (0x01, PACH)
                        }

Return (DODP)
                    }

I got only has 3 errors.

if I can run a intelHD lutshe his general disconnect with DSDT. As promised a good man he could do it, but he also can not compile

dsdt.aml.zip

dsdt_3_errors.zip

I received a patched UEFI file for the HP G72-a12DS I am using (with the Apple ROM) but I cannot find the information about how I should flash this new file. I also have to create a recovery set (4 DVD's) first, before I may continue (school wants this).

They said that it is too dangerous to procede without having a proven way to return to a previous BIOS version. Fine. I called HP Custom and Service today. Took 50 minutes to get one silly answer: There is no way to go back to a previous version. Right. Cannot be true.

HP uses so called 'SpoftPacks' to flash the U-EFI BIOS, which can be unpacked. So I did. Now I have the files, but now I have to figure out what to do with it. Insyde Winflash v 3.90.00 (for Intel CPU) is also unpacked, but it keeps complaining about the given signature file (which is either wrong or corrupted).

Making slow progress... but we are getting there. More update soon I hope.

I Have Leopard 10.5.8 Installed on my HP Elitebook with Intel HD Graphics, And I Can Have Full Resolution Using Graphcis Enabler. Don't Understand Why Some People Can't Have Full Resolution.

It would be nice if you can share your HP Elitebook specification? or model?

Everyone here trying to get Intel HD working with Snow Leopard (10.6.X).

Sorry for my unexperience but, how can I get an IORegistryExplorer dump? Is it with "ioreg -l"?

Sorry for the late reply but I was busy writing a new SMBIOS extractor / converter for Revolution. I guess that nobody else here knew what to reply, but anyway. Yes please. You can use: ioreg -lw0 when you don't have the xcode tools installed; ioreg might not be what we need, but if this is what you've got... please deliver. Thank you.

It would be nice if you can share your HP Elitebook specification? or model?

Everyone here trying to get Intel HD working with Snow Leopard (10.6.X).

My Model is HP Elitebook 8440p, 14 Inches, IDT Sound working fully with VoodooHDA but partially with AppleHDA (only internal speakers work), Broadcom 4312 fully working.

Only thing not working is Intel HD Graphics with Resolution 160 0x 900. Cool Resolution for a 14 inches laptop.

Could Help Test on my 10.5.8 install if possible.

Anyone claiming to have full resolution with a GMAS 5700 should attach IORegistryExplorer dump. Thank you.

I've Been Watching You Work on this Intel HD Graphics Thing. I'm Also Frustrated Because This Card Doesn't Work.

Anyway, Does Graphics Enabler Have Any Impact On IORegistryExplorer dump?

My Model is HP Elitebook 8440p, 14 Inches, IDT Sound working fully with VoodooHDA but partially with AppleHDA (only internal speakers work), Broadcom 4312 fully working.

Thanks. Does QE/CI working? I wonder which kexts is used by Intel HD on 10.5.8. Can you post here the System Profiler dump? You can save the System Profiler to a file.

Thanks. Does QE/CI working? I wonder which kexts is used by Intel HD on 10.5.8. Can you post here the System Profiler dump? You can save the System Profiler to a file.

No QE/CI. :( And there are no kexts loaded. Leopard doesn't have any kexts for this graphics card. But I will do my best to post the System Profiler dump.

Sorry for the late reply but I was busy writing a new SMBIOS extractor / converter for Revolution. I guess that nobody else here knew what to reply, but anyway. Yes please. You can use: ioreg -lw0 when you don't have the xcode tools installed; ioreg might not be what we need, but if this is what you've got... please deliver. Thank you.

Thanks so much for your work! I'll try to help in all I can in order to get this working. Here is my IORegistryExplorer dump. I can get 1280x1024 resolution without using GraphicsMode or GraphicsEnabler but as usual, no QE/CI here.

I also have XCode installed but i'm still learning Objective-C and all that stuff. Anyway, if you need something got from XCode just ask for it.

Appart from that, I don't know if that's useful but I've realized that when using GraphicsEnabler=YES on AnVAL bootloader it seems to detect the graphics card twice. It says something like this:

-Intel [0042 8086]... and then

-Unknown [0042 8086]

ioreg.txt

Thanks so much for your work! I'll try to help in all I can in order to get this working. Here is my IORegistryExplorer dump. I can get 1280x1024 resolution without using GraphicsMode or GraphicsEnabler but as usual, no QE/CI here.

I also have XCode installed but i'm still learning Objective-C and all that stuff. Anyway, if you need something got from XCode just ask for it.

Appart from that, I don't know if that's useful but I've realized that when using GraphicsEnabler=YES on AnVAL bootloader it seems to detect the graphics card twice. It says something like this:

-Intel [0042 8086]... and then

-Unknown [0042 8086]

ioreg.txt

Thanks. And we're all trying to get the job done. I wouldn't mind if someone else steps in and solves this puzzle in under one hour. Would give him a big friendly hug.

Anyway. Since you do have xcode installed. Can you please fire up IORegistryExplorer (a really great and handy tool) and attach the output (use File -> Save as) here because using a GUI is so much more fun. Here it's installed in:

/Developer/Applications/Utilities/IORegistryExplorer

Go have fun with it.

Thanks. And we're all trying to get the job done. I wouldn't mind if someone else steps in and solves this puzzle in under one hour. Would give him a big friendly hug.

Anyway. Since you do have xcode installed. Can you please fire up IORegistryExplorer (a really great and handy tool) and attach the output (use File -> Save as) here because using a GUI is so much more fun. Here it's installed in:

/Developer/Applications/Utilities/IORegistryExplorer

Go have fun with it.

Sure, here it is. I hope it will be useful!

ioregexplorer.zip

Sure, here it is. I hope it will be useful!

Thanks. And no it isn't useful.

This is also what I expected. Why I asked for an IOREG dump, because you don't even have a GMA5700, but some older Intel onboard graphics on your Asus V-P7H55E. So let me, kindly, remind everyone here that this topic is about the GMA 5700. Not any ordinary Intel HD graphics.

I spend couples of hours to finish reading the thread. However, I haven't found any available or standard solution for the situation.

I am also using Thinkpad 201i, which has an Intel 5700 MHD installed. I can open the resolution mode in 1280x800x32 successfully in Chameleon RC 5 without any driver, just by adding Graphics Mode string.

The same problem confronts of the 10.6.5 on my machine with FB.kext loaded, only the remote display functioning.

I am guessing, just, whether it is so low resolution (my machine just has 1280x800) for the mac's original resolution, so it considers in somewhere the monitors with laptops are remote displays.

If the exact resolution matched, it will show the desktop on the right place.

I am not a hardware expert, only having my own way to give a little contribution.

Hey u all,

i am also trying go get that job done. I have got an thinkpad EDGE 11" with Core i3 and Intel HD. ...

So far I only get 1024 x 768 resolution.

@ guilleosx

can upload your smbios and all kexts u used to get 2 gcards detected working?

Thx

@Frederik Koepsell: Please read my previous reply and note the motherboard brand/model number. Then use Google to verify what I wrote. I'll sum it up for you:

There's only one non GMA5700 Intel GPU and it doesn't even work properly.

I wish I could say something else, but this is it. Unfortunately for us.

But I also have good news. I found the ACPI method that gives the driver for Microsoft Windows 7 what it needs; A shadow ROM image. Here is it:

Method (ATRM, 2, Serialized)	// ATI ROM
       {
           Store (Arg0, Local0)
           Store (Arg1, Local1)
           // Start of parameter checking.
           If (LGreater (Local1, 0x1000))	// Is Arg1 greater than 4 KB?
           {
               Store (0x1000, Local1)	// Yes. Reset Local1 to 4096.
           }

If (LGreater (Local0, 0x00010000))	// Is Arg0 greater than 64 KB?
           {
               Return (Buffer (Local1)	// Return a 4 KB empty buffer. 
               {
                   0x00
               })
           }

If (LGreater (Local0, RVBS))	// What is RVBS set to? Is this the ROM Video Base perhaps?
           {
               Return (Buffer (Local1)	// Return a 4 KB empty buffer. 
               {
                   0x00
               })
           }
           // End of parameter checking.

Multiply (Local1, 0x08, Local3)	// Initialize Local3 based on the value of Local1 (maximal 32 KB) 
					// Local3 will be used later on as 'numBits'.
           Name (ROM1, Buffer (0x8000)	// Create a 32 KB empty buffer. 
           {
               0x00
           })
           Name (ROM2, Buffer (Local1) // Create a 4 KB (max) empty buffer.
           {
               0x00
           })
           If (LLess (Local0, 0x8000))	// Is Local0 less than 32 KB?
           {
               Store (RBF1, ROM1)	// Yes. Copy ROM1 into it.
           }
           Else	// Greater than 32 KB.
           {
               Subtract (Local0, 0x8000, Local0)	// Reduce Local0 by 32 KB.
               Store (RBF2, ROM1)	// Copy ROM2 into it.
           }

Multiply (Local0, 0x08, Local2)	// Initialize index Local2.
           // Source: ROM1
           // Local2: Index
           // Local3: number of bits
           // TMPB  : target
           CreateField (ROM1, Local2, Local3, TMPB)	// Create a temporarily shadow ROM image called TMBS.
           Store (TMPB, ROM2)	// Copy shadow ROM image into ROM2.
           Return (ROM2)	// Return shadow ROM image.
       }

The comments are preliminary findings only, which may change after we disassembled the driver for Windows 7.

Hi

I´m still on the search for a solution for IntelHD Graphics

I tryd any solutions here in this forum, (and looking in others)

via DSDT, via EFI string, kext editing, with always the same result = only Remote display,

backlight on, no screen on LCD

So I went back and took a closer look at EDID

This is my

00,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,00,30,E4,9E,02,00,00,00,00,00,13,01,04,95,22,13,78,02,1B,E5,9E,59,50,98,26,

0E,50,54,00,00,00,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,80,25,40,80,60,84,1A,30,30,20,

35,00,58,C2,10,00,00,18,14,19,40,8C,60,84,16,30,30,20,35,00,58,C2,10,00,00,18,00,00,00,FE,00,50,

37,32,37,52,80,31,35,36,57,44,31,0A,00,00,00,00,00,00,41,31,19,00,00,00,00,09,01,0A,20,20,00,DA

this is Macbookpro 6,1

00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 06 10 cd 9c 00 00 00 00 00 13 01 03 80 25 17 78 0a e5 95 a3 54 4f 9c 26 01 50 54 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 28 3c 80 a0 70 b0 23 40 30 20 36 00 6f e6 10 00 00 18 00 00 00 01 00 06 10 30 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0a 20 00 00 00 fe 00 4c 50 31 37 31 57 55 36 2d 54 4c 41 32 00 00 00 fe 00 43 6f 6c 6f 72 20 4c 43 44 0a 20 20 20 00 d1

My is Version 1 Rev 4

MBP is version 1 Rev 3

and the next byte is the definition is for the Video Input

My is hex 95 (binary 10010101)

MBP is hex 80 (binary 10000000)

this is for my Dell : (the green marked frames) see attachment

6 Bits per Primary Color

displayport is supported

this is for MBP : (the red marked frames) see attachment

Color Bit Depth is undefined

Digital Interface is not defined

Okay when the Color Depth and Digital Interface is undefined

what kext or display override or "I dont know" is this doing

Where the hell happens this in OS X ?

I think to know where this happens, and to change it the right way is the goal for me

Why ?

Everything i tried ended in the same situation = looking at system profiler , all kexts are loaded(all Intel kexts, Backlight,IOndrv,IOgraphics

systemprofiler reports all correct -> IntelHD and so on and always 288 MB videoram

but then under Display Connector

there is nothing

OS X cant find the display

I think it is setting the wrong interfacetyp (LVDS, FDI, DVI, ..........) but i need Displayport

So where can i manage to do this ?

Lets give it a try

Kind regards