Intel HD Graphics / GMA 5700

sockerkid

1,324 posts in this topic

Hi guys

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but how close, or far, are Ubuntu's display drivers from macs? I know it wont be as easy as copy n paste, but my Ubuntu lucid runs very smooth with graphics effects on full. Would it be possible to get in touch with the programmers from Ubuntu Linux to get some ideas from them?

Im no programmer, but Im just as interested, and frustrated to get this issue resolved.

I'm useless when it come to driver programming/source code. :angel: I'm depend on you now. :thumbsup_anim:

Well in that case let's get cracking. I'll attach a tool called range shortly. This tool will dump the following output (mine as example):

[color="#FF0000"]Display 0x400e780[/color]:
 minPixelClock                 20000000
 maxPixelClock                 270000000
 maxPixelError                 0
 supportedSyncFlags            15
 supportedSignalLevels         15
 supportedSignalConfigs        8
 minFrameRate                  0
 maxFrameRate                  4294967295
 minLineRate                   0
 maxLineRate                   4294967295
 maxHorizontalTotal            4095
 maxVerticalTotal              4095
 charSizeHorizontalActive      1
 charSizeHorizontalBlanking    1
 charSizeHorizontalSyncOffset  1
 charSizeHorizontalSyncPulse   1
 charSizeVerticalActive        1
 charSizeVerticalBlanking      1
 charSizeVerticalSyncOffset    1
 charSizeVerticalSyncPulse     1
 charSizeHorizontalBorderLeft  1
 charSizeHorizontalBorderRight 1
 charSizeVerticalBorderTop     1
 charSizeVerticalBorderBottom  1
 charSizeHorizontalTotal       1
 charSizeVerticalTotal         1
 minHorizontalActiveClocks     0
 maxHorizontalActiveClocks     4096
 minHorizontalBlankingClocks   0
 maxHorizontalBlankingClocks   4095
 minHorizontalSyncOffsetClocks 0
 maxHorizontalSyncOffsetClocks 4095
 minHorizontalPulseWidthClocks 0
 maxHorizontalPulseWidthClocks 4095
 minVerticalActiveClocks       0
 maxVerticalActiveClocks       1536
 minVerticalBlankingClocks     0
 maxVerticalBlankingClocks     4095
 minVerticalSyncOffsetClocks   0
 maxVerticalSyncOffsetClocks   4095
 minVerticalPulseWidthClocks   0
 maxVerticalPulseWidthClocks   4095
 minHorizontalBorderLeft       0
 maxHorizontalBorderLeft       0
 minHorizontalBorderRight      0
 maxHorizontalBorderRight      0
 minVerticalBorderTop          0
 maxVerticalBorderTop          0
 minVerticalBorderBottom       0
 maxVerticalBorderBottom       0
[color="#FF0000"][b]  maxNumLinks                   0[/b][/color]
 minLink0PixelClock            0
 maxLink0PixelClock            0
 minLink1PixelClock            0
 maxLink1PixelClock            0
IODisplayScalerInformation:
 scalerFeatures                a
 maxHorizontalPixels           4095
 maxVerticalPixels             4095

And there you have it. This "maxNumLinks" should be 2 like on my MacBookPro6.1 Now only one link is used and that means trouble.

From IOGraphicsTypes.h: number of links to be used by a dual link timing (required for higher resolutions) if zero, assume one link (Italic note by me).

Note: I only want the red values. No need for all data, but if you do; wrap it up in a codebox.

What we have to do now is to find a way to fix / correct this. That's what should do the trick. No more garbage output! Oh and using this won't solve it:

"AAPL00,DualLink",
   Buffer (0x04)
   {
       0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
   },

"AAPL01,DualLink",
   Buffer (0x04)
   {
       0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
   }

I've been there already.

range.zip

Hi guys

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but how close, or far, are Ubuntu's display drivers from macs? I know it wont be as easy as copy n paste, but my Ubuntu lucid runs very smooth with graphics effects on full. Would it be possible to get in touch with the programmers from Ubuntu Linux to get some ideas from them?

Im no programmer, but Im just as interested, and frustrated to get this issue resolved.

Eljay1o1, You're a Brainiac!

I guess that's what we've been missing. If we should be able to work around a Linux based driver, we should be find our graphics working.

All Hands On Deck Now! We Need Everyone on Here!!!

Well in that case let's get cracking. I'll attach a tool called range shortly. This tool will dump the following output (mine as example):

I ran the range tool & this is the output I got:-

Display 0x5b81c5c0:

I have no idea why the output is just one line. Is that my LCD device IDs?

I ran the range tool & this is the output I got:-

Display 0x5b81c5c0:

I have no idea why the output is just one line. Is that my LCD device IDs?

Too bad. I didn't write it. It's IOGraphics-373.2/tools/range.c

Can you please do a ioreg -lw0 > ioreg.txt for me and attach it here? Thanks.

This is IOReg dump for Asus A42JV as requested. I'm also include system profiler dump.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4h8shtuc123m14f

Let me know if you need anything else.

Ah now I get it. AppleIntelFrameBuffer isn't there. One (or more) of the graphics related kexts isn't loaded. That's also why the range tool didn't work properly... I guess. Bummer.

Note: I am using screen sharing from my iMac.

Ah now I get it. AppleIntelFrameBuffer isn't there. One (or more) of the graphics related kexts isn't loaded. That's also why the range tool didn't work properly... I guess. Bummer.

Note: I am using screen sharing from my iMac.

I can't access my notebook remotely since the onboard Jmicron ethernet is not supported & the wireless is detected but can't join any network. I thought AppleIntelFrameBuffer is for GMA 950 and GMA X3100 graphic card. Our card is using AppleIntelHDGraphics*.kext, at least on mine.

I can't access my notebook remotely since the onboard Jmicron ethernet is not supported & the wireless is detected but can't join any network.

I see. That's too bad really. Seems like you have work to do.

I thought AppleIntelFrameBuffer is for GMA 950 and GMA X3100 graphic card. Our card is using AppleIntelHDGraphics*.kext, at least on mine.

I'm not talking about AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext but maybe this will help convince you:

grep -r -e AppleIntelFramebuffer .
./AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/Info.plist:	<string>AppleIntelFramebuffer</string>
Binary file ./AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB matches
Binary file ./AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB matches
Binary file ./AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer matches

And yes AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext shows up in my IORegistry Explorer dump. Along with some other kexts we need

I'm also comparing my HP hackbook dumps against a MacBookPro6.1 (Intel Core i5 -350m @2.5GHz) but that has a NVIDIA card as you know.

Hi

sorry for the delay (so much work)

I added an archive with an ioregDump from the acer tm8372tg with working

nvidia 310m

an 2 screenshots from system profiler

Hope it helps

Sorry for my english

AUSTRIA - high montains - no kangurus

Hi

I added an archive with an ioregDump from the acer tm8372tg with working nvidia 310m an 2 screenshots from system profiler

Hope it helps

Sorry for my english

Thanks, but I cannot use it (incomplete PCI dump). Need to have: ioreg -lw0 > ioreg.txt or saved output from IORegistryExplorer. Sorry.

Low Countries. No Slopes (:

I see. That's too bad really. Seems like you have work to do.

After my last post I tried to find an USB wireless card which bought it a long time ago. Well, I did found it & tried to set it up on my Asus. Accidentally I found out that my wireless card, AR9285 or whatever it's name is, can connect ad-hoc or to be precise open or WEP secured network. After that I spent my entire night figure out how to make the wireless card to automatically connect to ad-hoc network. I was able to find it though...fortunately. Setup the screen sharing in Mac OS X & restore AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext to /S/L/E. I only removed two files exactly; AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext & AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext. Since AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext caused KP, so I only restore AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext. Reboot & connect remotely from my Dell. Screen a bit messed up but I was able to collect the range dump you ask me before. I'm also save new IOReg & System Profiler dump. Range dump:-

Display 0x390062c0:
 minPixelClock                 20000000
 maxPixelClock                 270000000
 maxPixelError                 0
 supportedSyncFlags            15
 supportedSignalLevels         15
 supportedSignalConfigs        8
 minFrameRate                  0
 maxFrameRate                  4294967295
 minLineRate                   0
 maxLineRate                   4294967295
 maxHorizontalTotal            4095
 maxVerticalTotal              4095
 charSizeHorizontalActive      1
 charSizeHorizontalBlanking    1
 charSizeHorizontalSyncOffset  1
 charSizeHorizontalSyncPulse   1
 charSizeVerticalActive        1
 charSizeVerticalBlanking      1
 charSizeVerticalSyncOffset    1
 charSizeVerticalSyncPulse     1
 charSizeHorizontalBorderLeft  1
 charSizeHorizontalBorderRight 1
 charSizeVerticalBorderTop     1
 charSizeVerticalBorderBottom  1
 charSizeHorizontalTotal       1
 charSizeVerticalTotal         1
 minHorizontalActiveClocks     0
 maxHorizontalActiveClocks     4096
 minHorizontalBlankingClocks   0
 maxHorizontalBlankingClocks   4095
 minHorizontalSyncOffsetClocks 0
 maxHorizontalSyncOffsetClocks 4095
 minHorizontalPulseWidthClocks 0
 maxHorizontalPulseWidthClocks 4095
 minVerticalActiveClocks       0
 maxVerticalActiveClocks       1536
 minVerticalBlankingClocks     0
 maxVerticalBlankingClocks     4095
 minVerticalSyncOffsetClocks   0
 maxVerticalSyncOffsetClocks   4095
 minVerticalPulseWidthClocks   0
 maxVerticalPulseWidthClocks   4095
 minHorizontalBorderLeft       0
 maxHorizontalBorderLeft       0
 minHorizontalBorderRight      0
 maxHorizontalBorderRight      0
 minVerticalBorderTop          0
 maxVerticalBorderTop          0
 minVerticalBorderBottom       0
 maxVerticalBorderBottom       0
 maxNumLinks                   0
 minLink0PixelClock            0
 maxLink0PixelClock            0
 minLink1PixelClock            0
 maxLink1PixelClock            0
IODisplayScalerInformation:
 scalerFeatures                a
 maxHorizontalPixels           4095
 maxVerticalPixels             4095

In System Profiler, the Intel HD Graphics is detected properly including native resolution. Please refer to IOReg & System Profiler dump for more information.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e426cbd82prfinv

Hi

I added an archive with an ioregDump from the acer tm8372tg with working

nvidia 310m

an 2 screenshots from system profiler

Hope it helps

Sorry for my english

Hi, I can't make my Nvidia Card work, please tell me how to make it work like you ?

After my last post I tried to find an USB wireless card which bought it a long time ago. Well, I did found it & tried to set it up on my Asus. Accidentally I found out that my wireless card, AR9285 or whatever it's name is, can connect ad-hoc or to be precise open or WEP secured network. After that I spent my entire night figure out how to make the wireless card to automatically connect to ad-hoc network. I was able to find it though...fortunately. Setup the screen sharing in Mac OS X & restore AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext to /S/L/E. I only removed two files exactly; AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext & AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext. Since AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext caused KP, so I only restore AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext. Reboot & connect remotely from my Dell. Screen a bit messed up but I was able to collect the range dump you ask me before. I'm also save new IOReg & System Profiler dump.

In System Profiler, the Intel HD Graphics is detected properly including native resolution. Please refer to IOReg & System Profiler dump for more information.

Cool. Thanks. And after looking at it, and comparing the values with mine; my info here has been confirmed. You may therefor want to read post 7 and 8 (again).

I would also like to suggest that you rename GFX0@2 to IGPU@2 (and everything referring to it) because that's what OS X expects it to be.

@toanb: This thread is about onboard Intel HD Graphics (see topic title) not NVIDIA (I don't want to wander off into NVIDIA land). Thank you.

What is really bugging me right now is why AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext caused KP on my Asus. I think I can get the Nvidia GPU to work with (either one or both) manually load the VBIOS (if I'm able to dump the VBIOS to a file) and/or inject EDID using the display override method. If I can get either one (Intel HD or Nvidia GPU) to work, I will be happy (of course like everyone else in this thread). :P

@dutchhockeypro, if you have anything else want me to try (except destroying my notebook), please let me know. :) I'm still reading your thread. It is long & take time to digest.

dear kizwan,

according to all i know, i understand that the intelHD try to looking for the NVidia. And since we can make the OSX recognize the NVidia by patching DSDT. Can we just add our Nvidia device ID into OSX's kext (in info.plist) to make both of them work?

i have core i5 and NVidia 335M with Optimus too.

dear kizwan,

according to all i know, i understand that the intelHD try to looking for the NVidia. And since we can make the OSX recognize the NVidia by patching DSDT. Can we just add our Nvidia device ID into OSX's kext (in info.plist) to make both of them work?

i have core i5 and NVidia 335M with Optimus too.

No actually. It doesn't looking for nvidia GPU.

What is really bugging me right now is why AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext caused KP on my Asus. I think I can get the Nvidia GPU to work with (either one or both) manually load the VBIOS (if I'm able to dump the VBIOS to a file) and/or inject EDID using the display override method. If I can get either one (Intel HD or Nvidia GPU) to work, I will be happy (of course like everyone else in this thread). :blink:

@dutchhockeypro, if you have anything else want me to try (except destroying my notebook), please let me know. :angel: I'm still reading your thread. It is long & take time to digest.

Just back in from school. Long weekend ahead of me. Updates later today. Hopefully. Will report back when I have anything worth to post here.

p.s. Got my first birthday present today (Magic Trackpad). Looking great, but have to get used to it. Scrolling with this thing rocks. Hooked instandly.

Hi

Now i am sitting on my Dell e6510

Vanilla Install with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and OS X 10.6

Update 10.6.4

Snow Leopard graphics Update

here are 2 Screenshots via remote from system profiler

Sorry for my english

AUSTRIA high montains - no kangurus

Hi

Vanilla Install with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and OS X 10.6

Update 10.6.4

Sorry for my english

Grüß Gott fmac.

Looking good, but please stop apologizing for your English. It's good enough for people to understand you. We read you loud and clear. Much better than my German, and I do study German in school. And when people can't accept it. Screw them. Be a proud Austrian and add it to your profile.

Hey. I happen to love Austria. Learned to ski at age 4 in Wagrain, Altenmarkt and Flagau (Rudi Huber et all). Went there five times a year. Great people. Again; be proud. Don't play the underdog. Seriously :)

Hi

Update 10.6.4

Sorry for my english

Hello,

I'm also working with a Dell 6510 core i7 Intel HD.

I'm using Melkoort svn and injection and modified Dsdt with IGPU,GMUX... and so on

devprop_add_value(device, "AAPL,ndrv-dev", reg_TRUE, 4);

devprop_add_value(device, "display-connect-flags", GMA5700_vals[0], 4);

devprop_add_value(device, "AAPL00,T1",GMA5700_vals[2], 4);

devprop_add_value(device, "AAPL00,T2",GMA5700_vals[3], 4);

devprop_add_value(device, "AAPL00,T3",GMA5700_vals[4], 4);

devprop_add_value(device, "AAPL00,T4",GMA5700_vals[5], 4);

devprop_add_value(device, "AAPL00,T5",GMA5700_vals[6], 4);

devprop_add_value(device, "AAPL00,T6",GMA5700_vals[7], 4);

devprop_add_value(device, "AAPL00,T7",GMA5700_vals[8], 4);

devprop_add_value(device, "AAPL,os-info",os_info, 20);

devprop_add_value(device, "hda-gfx","onboard-1\0", 10);

Still the same trouble no screen except with vnc and can see all mode in screen selector up to 1920x1080.

No display detected.

I've work with the dump ioregistry of thirst post.

But the dump was made with nvidia enable. ( look in ioregistry AAPL,ndrv-dev is true for nvidia GFX0)

Should be very good for us to get the same with intel hd enable.

Fred

Hello,

I'm also working with a Dell 6510 core i7 Intel HD.

I'm using Melkoort svn and injection and modified Dsdt with IGPU,GMUX... and so on

devprop_add_value(device, "AAPL,ndrv-dev", reg_TRUE, 4);

devprop_add_value(device, "display-connect-flags", GMA5700_vals[0], 4);

devprop_add_value(device, "AAPL,os-info",os_info, 20);

devprop_add_value(device, "hda-gfx","onboard-1\0", 10);

Still the same trouble no screen except with vnc and can see all mode in screen selector up to 1920x1080. No display detected. I've work with the dump ioregistry of thirst post. But the dump was made with nvidia enable. ( look in ioregistry AAPL,ndrv-dev is true for nvidia GFX0) Should be very good for us to get the same with intel hd enable.

Fred

The "display-connect-flags" is a ATI / NVIDIA only flag. Verify this yourself with grep -r -e display-connect-flags . which dumps something like:

Binary file ./ATI1300Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATI1300Controller matches

Binary file ./ATI5000Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATI5000Controller matches
Binary file ./ATIFramebuffer.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIFramebuffer matches
Binary file ./IONDRVSupport.kext/IONDRVSupport matches

And activate your framebuffer can be done by adding the following snippet to _DSM in your DSDT:

"AAPL,os-info",
Buffer (0x14)
{
	0x30, 0x49, 0x01, 0x11, 0x01, 0x10, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01,
	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff
}

Or by using this info in the booter.

Edit: Fixed the buffer length parameter from 0x10 to 0x14 Thanks to FredWst for spotting the error!