Intel HD Graphics / GMA 5700

sockerkid

1,324 posts in this topic

Guys, we are probably missing something here, does someone remember how was it done on the GMA950 back then to make framebuffer work? people were modifying the framebuffer to use the right amount of memory or something? maybe we could follow the footsteps.. unfortunately I haven't any info about this since I have never touched a GMA950 and haven't followed the forums about it back then on the epoch... we could take a look on that probably..

Aren't we missing some good DSDT injection for our card to work properly?

For instance look at some code for Intel GMA chameleon GraphicsEnabler.. I am not saying in no way that we need all that stuff being used for GMAX3100, but there is at least one thing being used for the two and that is "AAPL,HasPanel"

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...6/libsaio/gma.c

well.. i dont know what "AAPL,HasPanel" does.. Im just pointing out it is there being used for both GMA950 and GMAX3100..

i only have the dev 1 edition here .... i ll wait till the release of the new official lion .... it would be fine if someone tries out the "how2" and tell us if it is the final solution ....

Sorry but 4 me it seems to be a fake ... I hope, that i am wrong ....

i only have the dev 1 edition here .... i ll wait till the release of the new official lion .... it would be fine if someone tries out the "how2" and tell us if it is the final solution ....

Sorry but 4 me it seems to be a fake ... I hope, that i am wrong ....

The solution is just for lion then?

Hmm... I think this is too good to be true. ;)

=========================================================

Well it seems that Manor's AppleIntelHDGraphics Kext has different IOPrimaryMatch keys.

This is the original OS X Snow Leopard:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>0x00448086 0x00468086 0x01068086 0x01168086 0x01028086 0x01268086 0x010b8086 0x01128086 0x01228086</string>

This is Manor's OS X Lion:

<string>0x00448086 0x00468086 0x3b448086 0x3b468086 0x2c628086 ox2d018086 0x2d108086 0x2d118086 0x2d128086 0x2d138086</string>

Basically either he modified AppleIntelHDGraphics kext and added these deviceids or it was already included in the Lion kexts.

IOPCIClassMatch is kind of modifiedAppleIntelHDGraphics Kext:

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
<string>0x03000000&amp;0xff000000 0x04000000&amp;0xff000000</string>

Not sure about IOProbeScore key but I believe that is not important.

Next up is AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB Kext

This is the original OS X Snow Leopard:

<string>0x468086 0x428086</string>

This is Manor's OS X Lion:

<string>0x3b468086 0x3b428086 0x468086 0x428086 0x3b448086 0x3b4c8086 0x24488086 0x3b098086 0x3b328086</string>

Again it seems that the deviceids are also different. I'm guessing IOPCIClassMatch is also modified as well but not IOProbe score.

Finally don't worry about AppleIntegratedFrameBuffer. It seems that it has the same deviceids from OS X Snow Leopard.

============================================================

Later Manor says to load up these kexts. That seems easy, and then later he says you need to add the Intel HD Graphics EFI string.

Anyways I don't know if this will work with OS X Snow Leopard. I might try it later on. It could work with OS X Lion but I do not have that installed at the moment.

thanks for extra info..about

thanks for extra info..about

I just saw your Extensions screenshot and I realized this may not work on snow leopard. The reason is that OS X Lion has brand new Intel HD Graphics Kexts version 7.2.2 while Snow Leopard Intel HD Kexts are at version 1.6.34. I'm pretty sure these kexts have new improvements for us Arrandale users.

This is a must try for Intel HD Graphics (Arrandale) users using OS X Lion DP4 or just wait for the final release in July. I guess I'm just gonna have to wait ;)

@Manor It would be great if you can come up with a simple tutorial so everyone can understand clearly. I'm pretty sure many people will try your method as well. If not maybe I will but as of now I cannot.

snow leopard useing new kexts if lion you have to also appleacpiplatform and IOPCIFamily to be.

this 2kexts also lion.

give me your email address

Hi Manor, sorry to say this but, I really don't understand what you did, if you can do a little tutorial or guide to make it work, a lot of us will appreciate, well i meant, even more...

And if somebody try this on SL or just works in Lion...

Two more things, if theres a kind of kext to handle the battery life because it drains very quick and another kext to cool the laptop, because it gets very hot, well thanx everybody!!!

dont worry about key just load your system then add efi string thats it. lion work for me.

this "guide" makes me wonder .... I was looking to manors ioreg. and The Display seems to be detected by the NVIDIA Dev. Maybe this results from the NVIDIA--> Intel EFI String ... . The different SM Bios can maybe also be a reason.

Can someone please post the Dev 4 Lion kexts ?

I want to test it out on snow after university. ...

And if it work ... I ll write a detailed how 2

If manor has the solution (ok death is the solution to all problem ... ) all credits and donations ll go 2 him ... !!!!!

So... let me get this straight...

Manor has succeded to enable intel HD in full resolution but without QE/CI

and according to page 1 there is a solution for enabling QE/CI without full screen.....

if this two mthods combined into 1 solution it mean, problem solved !. intel HD works

am i right?

@Manor, have you trying to enable your QE/CI ? and we need a clear tutorial too if you dont mind.. :(

I dont know how to enable qe/ci...

I dont know how to enable qe/ci...

My laptop is not yet with me so I can't do any testing. Hopefully this week I should have it.

Will be testing with you, and we will get QE/CI to work. :D

good luck..

Hey guys, I may have good news. :D It seems that the Chameleon Boot Loader team may have already started working on getting our Intel HD Graphics (Arrandale) to detect our native resolution afterall!

post-620531-1309219832_thumb.png

The team has implemented a module for Pre Intel HD Graphics (I'm guessing they're referring to the 1st generation Intel HD Graphics?) that will allow the Boot Loader to detect the EDID as well as patching VESA.

I believe this module does not work at the moment because its probably in its alpha stage. Overall it is still good news. :wacko:

Hey guys, I may have good news. :D It seems that the Chameleon Boot Loader team may have already started working on getting our Intel HD Graphics (Arrandale) to detect our native resolution afterall!

The team has implemented a module for Pre Intel HD Graphics (I'm guessing they're referring to the 1st generation Intel HD Graphics?) that will allow the Boot Loader to detect the EDID as well as patching VESA.

I believe this module does not work at the moment because its probably in its alpha stage. Overall it is still good news. :D

So we know that there's problem with EDID info detection. I believe that in order to enable custom resolutions EDID problem must be solved. Critically, I also think there's more to it.

There may be a link between our "graphics card" and "RadeonHD.kext" which enables custom resolution in ATI Mobility Radeon cards. I will probably have to do more editing and testing to see what we are actually missing. :wacko:

I believe this module does not work at the moment because its probably in its alpha stage. Overall it is still good news. :wacko:

It is going nothing far from injecting the right efi gfx string to the OS..

Unfortunately I don't have time to research on intel gfx strings right now.. it is a pretty deep dive :D.. probably next week..

Just note that manor on the other topic didn't even use a intel gfx string.. he used an Nvida one.. shouldn't we use someting more similar to GMA950 to start (I am not saying to use the same string as GMA950 of course but similar).. I wonder if he used nvidia strings instead of Intel GMA one for some reason???

I believe this module does not work at the moment because its probably in its alpha stage. Overall it is still good news. :D

Could someone extract this option of the installer with Pacifist for Mac for us to see what it does :D ?

It is going nothing far from injecting the right efi gfx string to the OS..

Unfortunately I don't have time to research on intel gfx strings right now.. it is a pretty deep dive :D .. probably next week..

Just note that manor on the other topic didn't even use a intel gfx string.. he used an Nvida one.. shouldn't we use someting more similar to GMA950 to start (I am not saying to use the same string as GMA950 of course but similar).. I wonder if he used nvidia strings instead of Intel GMA one for some reason???

The Apple guys are not doing anything new. They just restructuring the lines of codes in the kexts and using newer hardware. Intel GMA 950, 3100, X3100 are all similar. So I guess looking at the pattern of enabling QE/CI can even help us to achieve our aim and speed up the more.

Understanding how the previous Intel cards respond to kexts used to enable QE is a good thing, I support that %100. :wacko:

Here's Chameleon Boot Loader 2.0 RC5 R1083. This includes the Pre Intel HD Graphics module.

Have you tested it already? What are some of the advantages?

Hmm will there ever be a Chameleon Boot Loader 3.0? :D

Lolz, we're looking out for that.

:wacko: I want to know the major changes you made to get QE working. It is important because you have QE working, Manor has resolution working. So if we can put the two together we might get somewhere.

GhostRaider, according to

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=#entry1695719

Use ALL the 10.5.2 AppleIntelGMA kexts from kalway, but use the AppleIntegratedFrambuffer.kext from iAkatos 10.5.1 if you do this u should then have full hardware acceloration no mouse tearing and best of all more resolutions than you will know what to do with. all refresh rates and what not.

According to you

2) Once you are on 10.6.7, go to your Extensions folder and delete ALL Graphics Kexts. Delete all Intel GMA 950 Kexts, Intel GMA X3100 kexts, Intel HD Graphics Kexts, ATI Graphics Kexts, NVidia Graphics Kexts, and GeForce Kexts.

Don't you think there's something that shouldn't be deleted? I think there's a kext that needs to stay put to enable custom resolution, and I believe AppleIntegratedFrambuffer.kext has a part to play in it. :D

OK Girls .... I am close to Manors success .... I am running Snow leopard. ... just installed the Dev4 Kexts. ... and added the edi string. ... now i get nearly the same view as manor. ... vram changed from 288 to 768 as by manor reportet. I also have display connector in System Profiler. ... the kexts does not seem to be loaded. ...

now i am using disk utility to repair my permissions ... before i did with kext helper. .. maybe that gives me more success. I think, that Manors SMBIOS is quiet important. !!!

Tomorrow after university (late ) I ll try to change nvcap ...

OK VRam is at 768 cause it is vesa. ... ==>No FB loaded. Also Manor has no kEXT loaded even, it the system say's it. ... Tomorrow. .. I ll test different NVcaP