Working X1950 & Snow Leopard 10.6.4

cyberchunk

30 posts in this topic

I've got SL 10.6.4 working with my ATI X1950 Pro with QE/CI enabled

with a minimum of modifications and without DSDT.

I'm documenting how I did it here as this is the second time I've setup this card

and it's lots of time wasting and grief if you forget exactly how to do it. Also, I'm

documenting it here because I tried a bunch of different ways as described in various

threads and they just didn't work for me.

From a whole bunch of failures with lots of reboots and edits, the actual working setup

is not difficult. You don't need Bronya's stuff, you don't need any EVOEnabler-Xwhatever,

you don't need DSDT mods (haven't worked for me yet).

Preamble: I'm assuming you've already figured out how to install Vanilla 10.6. (I use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ATI and legit vanilla 10.6 DVD).

1) Assuming you can boot SL 10.6 or 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 but are stuck with 1024x768 VESA

graphics without QE/CI. I'm booting with Chameleon RC3 with GraphicsEnabler=Yes

and without DSDT into arch=i386 at this point, I will test x86_64 later.

You don't need anything but the stock vanilla kexts to get this card working,

though you have to hack on them a little bit.

1) Check your system info and you should see ATY,Megalodon as your framebuffer after boot.

2) Get resolution switching working:

2a) (as root, ie sudo su -) go into ATI1900Controller.kext/Contents (You backed

up this kext's directory before you started, right? "cp -a ATI1900Controller.kext ~")

2b) edit Info.plist (I'm using vi from the commandline)

2c) change the key word "IONameMatch" to "IOPCIMatch" at the appropriate spot

2d) change name match string from whatever 7249 to "0x72801002" for the X1950 Pro

2e) save your changes

2f) run "kextcache -system-caches"

2g) reboot

At this point you should have resolution switching working, in my case on both DVI heads

work in 1600x1050 (and it came back at one point from blank screen to my surprise

because I forgot to disable power management stuff.)

3) Get QE/CI working, Part 1:

3a) You need 0xED for this series of steps.

3b) Become root in Terminal (ie. "sudo su -")

3c) Copy /S/L/E/ATIRadeonX1000.kext to your user's Desktop

(ie. "cp /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext /Users/<username>/Desktop")

3d) Change the ownership of the extensions so your user can edit it with 0xED, I had problems

getting 0xED to search properly when executing it as root so this timewasting step is needed)

Change the ownership: "chown -R <username>:staff /Users/<username>/Desktop/ATIRadeonX1000.kext"

3f) As your regular user <username>, launch 0xED

3g) Open "ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/MacOs/ATIRadeonX1000" in 0xED,

you'll find it on your Desktop, right?

3h) Search and replace the two occurances of 0x81FA6072 with 0x81FA8072

and save and exit. Make sure you're hex searching and overwrite writing.

At this point if you've come this far you're half way to having working QE/CI, the bin editing

above was the hard part, now you just have to change one entry in it's Info.plist.

4) Getting QE/CI working Part 2:

4a) Become root again or go back to your open Terminal window.

4b) Edit the Desktop copy of the kext's Info.plist. (ie. "vi /Users/<username>/Desktop/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/Info.plist")

4c) Find the "IOPCIMatch" key section.

4d) Somewhere in that long list of cards in the following <string> section,

add the X1950 Pro's ID 0x72801002, remembering that the list is separated with spaces.

4e) Save your changes

4f) Copy the modified kext back into /S/L/E with "cp -a /Users/<username>/Desktop/ATIRadeonX1000.kext /System/Library/Extensions"

4g) Fixup the ownership on the kext directory with "chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext"

4h) Run "kextcache -system-caches"

4i) Now reboot

At this point, you should have QE/CI enabled as well as resolution switching and all you did was

modify two of the Vanilla kexts with a little work. This method worked in 10.6, 10.6.3 and 10.6.4

for me. I'm going to keep those two kexts handy incase of unexpected updates and now I'm sure

what sequence of fixes got my graphics working great!

Some additional notes, I originally tried Bronya's stuff, more recently JaminMCs kexts

and they didn't work for me, I also tried EVOEnabler-X1950 and while that got me resolution

switching when I modded ATI1900Controller, there was some problem with getting QE/CI

enabled. Whatever is lurking in the DSDT I tried creating and someone else's DSDT for this

board I tried just added grief and reboots to my process of elimination.

So, in summary, it is possible to get the X1950 Pro working with 10.6.4 with Chameleon

GraphicsEnabler=Yes, you only need to modify two vanilla kexts in total (2 Info.plists and

one binary).

Life is back to being good.

Yep. Works in 64-bit too.

So, in summary, it is possible to get the X1950 Pro working with 10.6.4 with Chameleon

GraphicsEnabler=Yes, you only need to modify two vanilla kexts in total (2 Info.plists and

one binary).

It's come to my attention tonight that I wasn't running Chameleon RC3 as I thought but PC EFI 10.6 which is newer. When I try to boot with Chameleon RC4, ATI1900Controller/X1000 panic, though QE/CI is working with PC EFI 10.6. Food for thought. Looks like Netkas PC EFI 10.6 has got something working that RC4 doesn't.

I thought I was upgrading to RC4 when infact the datestamp from PC EFI 10.6 is newer than RC4.

This worked perfectly for me - straightforward process and clear, easy steps to follow: THANKS for doing this :(

I've used the Bronya kexts (or some derivative of) since my initial build with 10.5.7, I think. I like this approach much more, since I'm able to see the couple of specific tweaks required and can do it myself (how did you figure out how to do this?)!

Oddly, my resolution @ 1280x1024 required no tweaks - it was fine right after the update to 10.6.4; so I skipped your step 2 and just used your steps 3 and 4. Not sure why - maybe because certain Bronya kexts carried over from 10.6.3? I'm using Chameleon RC3 but don't believe GraphicsEnabler is enabled.

Hi cyberchunk,

Thanks for the heads up in the other X1950 pro thread. Have now used your method in preference to EVOenabler and JaminMc kexts.

Works great !

However, I did not modify the <key>IONameMatch</key> as per your 4c instruction. I just left it as it was and modified the next line from <string>pci1002,7249</string> to <string>pci1002,7280</string>.

I knew that 1002 was the vendor ID for all ATI cards so I figured I just needed to change the card ID from 7249 to 7280 to get it it to work, and sure enough it did. :)

Hi, I'm stuck as you say, in 1024x768 on SnowOSX 10.6.2 Intel-Based.

This flavour uses DSDT, so I wonder if this solution you say would work for me.

But anyway, I'd like to know if there is any other Hackintosh install to do a fresh install, then try your setup. I also have 10.5.8 with full res and QE/CI but I need to mo onto SL with higher resolution And QE/CI.

I'd be grateful if you can point me in the right direction, I know a little of what you say in your tut, but some things are hard to follow.

Regards.

Help please!

I can't find 0x81FA6072 string in ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/MacOs/ATIRadeonX1000.

I used 0xED, but no luck. Tell me how can i find it.

Can any body download this file or pack of files for card with id7280.

Thanks, this got QE/CI working again on 10.6.4 with my X1950 Pro!

@Pilmen

Make sure you select hex and not text search in 0xED's search window. In that case you won't be able to enter 0x81FA6072 and you'll have to enter 81FA6072 only.

3h) Search and replace the two occurances of 0x81FA6072 with 0x81FA8072 and save and exit. Make sure you're hex searching and overwrite writing.

Hello cyberchunk,

thank you for your writeup. I've got a Radeon X1950 GT, so my primary device ID is 7288. I tried your method in favor of the last one in Bronya's thread, but I'm getting kernel panics. Now that I'm not sure if the hex editing fits my needs, would you please tell me how you figured the replacement of 0x60 with 0x80 (s/0x81FA6072/0x81FA8072/g) out? I've got two guesses, what to do: 1) Just use your value and think of something else or 2) use 88 instead of 80, as 7280 is yours, and 7288 is mine.

Besides of the guess for the correct value, I really would like to know how to figure these (hex editing) things out by myself.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hello cyberchunk,

thank you for your writeup. I've got a Radeon X1950 GT, so my primary device ID is 7288. I tried your method in favor of the last one in Bronya's thread, but I'm getting kernel panics. Now that I'm not sure if the hex editing fits my needs, would you please tell me how you figured the replacement of 0x60 with 0x80 (s/0x81FA6072/0x81FA8072/g) out? I've got two guesses, what to do: 1) Just use your value and think of something else or 2) use 88 instead of 80, as 7280 is yours, and 7288 is mine.

Besides of the guess for the correct value, I really would like to know how to figure these (hex editing) things out by myself.

Thanks in advance. :)

Success! :D I followed my second guess and it works perfectly. Thank you, cyberchunk! :) (Alas, I'd really like to know how you figured out to replace 0x81FA6072 with 0x81FA8072. The 72 might be the 7280 from the device ID, but I'd never had thought of that, as the values in the hex editor are switched (0x81FA8072) and the leading 81F8 doesn't tell me much. Did you randomly scanned for 80's and 72's in the obvious kexts?)

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

wohooo !!!!

i can confirm the cyberchunk´s method.

it´s working on my intel d945gnt with pentium d 920 and pci ati x1950pro 256mb graphic card.

until today i´ve used the bronya´s method on 10.6.0, then i saw this thread and i gave it a try....

i used the files from polyacryl above, but i need to mod the ATI1900Controller.kext with steps 2a-2g mentioned above!!!

finally, 10.6.4 with apple´s graphics update and 10.6.4 legacy kernel is landed on my "old" rig !!!

and with qe & qi !!!!! great job :)!!

thanks a lot ;-)

cheers.....

• 2 weeks later...
wohooo !!!!

i can confirm the cyberchunk´s method.

it´s working on my intel d945gnt with pentium d 920 and pci ati x1950pro 256mb graphic card.

until today i´ve used the bronya´s method on 10.6.0, then i saw this thread and i gave it a try....

i used the files from polyacryl above, but i need to mod the ATI1900Controller.kext with steps 2a-2g mentioned above!!!

finally, 10.6.4 with apple´s graphics update and 10.6.4 legacy kernel is landed on my "old" rig !!!

and with qe & qi !!!!! great job :)!!

thanks a lot ;-)

cheers.....

HELP! Running Mac OS X 10.6.2, with GraphicEnabler in Charmeleon. I used the two kexts polyacryl posted and when I started it all {censored}ed up, in squares and can just see the desktop but it is messy and can't use the computer. I tried to do what knobsi did with the 1900 kext but still the same... I REALLY WANT THIS TO WORK. I got everything else working. I got ATI Radeon 1950x Pro 256 MB.

HELP! Running Mac OS X 10.6.2, with GraphicEnabler in Charmeleon. I used the two kexts polyacryl posted and when I started it all {censored}ed up, in squares and can just see the desktop but it is messy and can't use the computer. I tried to do what knobsi did with the 1900 kext but still the same... I REALLY WANT THIS TO WORK. I got everything else working. I got ATI Radeon 1950x Pro 256 MB.

you know, i´ve had also troubles and needed several tries to goal...

but for me i´ve learned that the installation of the kexts is very important to do it right.

at first, i only dragged and droped them... often a short massage popped up that the ATI1900Controller.kext was not properly installed and therefor this kext was not loading at all !!

this was very very frustratin over the time, even i thought i´ve done all steps right !!

so check your way again and make every step 100% and check also if the kexts were loaded fine on start !!

cheers, knobsi

you know, i´ve had also troubles and needed several tries to goal...

but for me i´ve learned that the installation of the kexts is very important to do it right.

at first, i only dragged and droped them... often a short massage popped up that the ATI1900Controller.kext was not properly installed and therefor this kext was not loading at all !!

this was very very frustratin over the time, even i thought i´ve done all steps right !!

so check your way again and make every step 100% and check also if the kexts were loaded fine on start !!

cheers, knobsi

I used kext helper b7 and the kexts loaded fine. But where do I find system info? I run my OS X in danish though.. I tried again. And we agree on that GraphicsEnabler just is "GraphicsEnabler"="Yes" in Charmeleon?

I used kext helper b7 and the kexts loaded fine. But where do I find system info? I run my OS X in danish though.. I tried again. And we agree on that GraphicsEnabler just is "GraphicsEnabler"="Yes" in Charmeleon?

Oh yea and I can't do step 3, when I search after the hex I get no results.. So therefore I used the two patched once that polyacryl posted.

GraphicsEnabler just is "GraphicsEnabler"="Yes" should be fine

try to use kext utility instead of kext helper b7 ... i did it... maybe this helps

and check also the hack of the ATI1900Controller.kext if everything is written inside properly !!

which kexts are us using for the graphic card in total?

and another thing:

i´ve using netkas boot 10.6 on chameleon 2.04 by dr. hurt´s installer...

maybe this is also needed to get it workin properly !!

• 4 weeks later...
Here are the drivers, modified as described above:

Os X 10.6.4 ATI Radeon X1950 Pro (7280):

10_6_4_x1950_7280.zip

Os X 10.6.4 ATI Radeon X1950 GT (7288):

10_6_4_x1950_7288.zip

hi! i'm using your solution and now i can choose the monitor resolution, but i think i don't have the qe/ci and often the screen turns black for 1 second, specially when i scroll a webpage, like insanelymac forum.

Can you help me to find a solution? thx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Did everything as described by cyberchunk.

Funny, if I do the 2c step, I am back to 1024x768..., if leave the IONameMatch, I get 1920x1200.

Anyway, I don/t think I got QECI working - under AboutThisMac there is still "unknown" under ChipsetModel (Graphics/Displays).

But I think I dont have ATY Megalodon as framebuffer, and bootloader is Chameleon 2.0 RC4 by AsereBLN.

Since I am completely new to all this stuff (it took me hours to get through cyberchunks instructions :( ), i dont know how to change the bootloader or framebuffer...

Any help?

Thanks

HI all,

i'm a new hackintosh user with the x1950 in my asus p5e board.

I've installed 10.6 from retail using hd usb and i wish to say:

"Thank you cyberchun!" ;)

I've followed your istructions and everything is ok with the x1950 board but i've noticed that...

when i resume from sleep (stop) the monitor is still off.

It seems that the x1950 doesn't wake up from the sleep.

Have you the same problem?

Where and how can i fix this?

Thanks and regards!

• 2 months later...

oK now listen to this.

I couldnt make it work for the love of God. When i tried polyacryl kext my hackintosh froze asking me for reboot (the usual message).

When i rebooted i did it with "ignore caches" and i suddenly have dual screen with full res.

Is there a way around it?

Im attempting to do the QE/CI. Wish me luck.

OK.IT WORKS.......IT F#@$%!$^ WORKS.......

10000000000000000 Thank yous are not enough.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey Guys!

Is this working with 10.6.6 ??

Thanks for the INFO !

Hi, I gave it a try but got a kp. The strange thing is that I don't have a

ATI1900Controller.kext at all... Although I have a resolution of 1280*1024

I cannot play movies and I assume that this also causes the dvd not to

play movies at all.

Regards.

• 2 months later...

After upgrade to 10.6.8 I only have 1024x768 and the screen is moved down. Upper part is grey. Only 2/3 of the screen is visible. Reapplying the ATI1900Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX1000.kex which worked for previous updates did not work this time. Anybody know how to fix this?