Guide: how to install Snow Leopard (vanilla) on xps m1530 detailed walkthrough

effatum

98 posts in this topic

It's strange. My battery is definitely dying - both Windows and OSX say to replace it. I have a replacement coming soon.

OSX doesn't put the computer to sleep, it just straight up power fails because the battery went way out of charge. Windows will turn the screen off but not sleep it - and in addition to that not allow the computer to be slept (I think there's some kind of prompt on screen because I get the little ping if I press a key)

Either way I ordered a new battery and I'll update you when that arrives. Does sleep work the way it should for you?

Most problably it's a voltage problem, it it's not caused by os

do me a favor, go to your bios, it has a battery section which gives you a main health feedback...

Sleep works flawlessly for me, the only problem is that i gotta keep an eye on the battery, i haven't found (didn't even search cuz I don't have time to try things out) any solution to make it go to sleep before my battery dries out (it tries to go to deepsleep=hybernation)

aside from that sleep and wake up works just fine

I get a sound issue when i wake up (it's not loud as it should be) but the problem goes away when i volume up/down...

Sleep works on battery power, ac and in between cycles (goin in sleep on ac then pluggin out and waking on battery and such)

• 2 weeks later...

anyone updating m1530 to 10.6.8, there are some issues I haven't been able to resolve... the graphics card is giving me a little bit of problem... appleHDA.kext is reneved, so deleting it will stop the kext error at the os check but the system will not load correctly...

aside from some faulty checks on the graphics card i think the os doesn't like the voodoohda kext...

I got a loaded os at least a few times but got system freeze in each attempt...

if anyone finds a solution etc. etc. let me know so i can update the guide...

I won't be able to tinker a lot until the end of summer so this is up-to-date situation until end of september...

anyone updating m1530 to 10.6.8, there are some issues I haven't been able to resolve... the graphics card is giving me a little bit of problem... appleHDA.kext is reneved, so deleting it will stop the kext error at the os check but the system will not load correctly...

aside from some faulty checks on the graphics card i think the os doesn't like the voodoohda kext...

I got a loaded os at least a few times but got system freeze in each attempt...

if anyone finds a solution etc. etc. let me know so i can update the guide...

I won't be able to tinker a lot until the end of summer so this is up-to-date situation until end of september...

But... but... you're the M1530 Superman! :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Effatum any luck?

yeah buddy, sorry that kept u waitin but i graduated :D

so,

lion works

you just gotta change a couple of kexts and get a new dsdt from the dsdt compiling forum...

the main issue is that lion itself sux.

i reverted back to snow...

if you wanna try get the dsdt go up to 10.6.8 and than update

the main kext errors if you get any are still caused by applehda

aside from that I did not have any problems

(meanwhile, i had to change the keyboard my battery left me and my touchpad is leaving me so i guess my little monster is coming to the end of its life) :P

Let me know if you cant find anytin

yeah buddy, sorry that kept u waitin but i graduated :)

so,

lion works

you just gotta change a couple of kexts and get a new dsdt from the dsdt compiling forum...

the main issue is that lion itself sux.

i reverted back to snow...

if you wanna try get the dsdt go up to 10.6.8 and than update

the main kext errors if you get any are still caused by applehda

aside from that I did not have any problems

(meanwhile, i had to change the keyboard my battery left me and my touchpad is leaving me so i guess my little monster is coming to the end of its life) :(

Let me know if you cant find anytin

Hooray you're alive!

I'll have to update to Lion eventually... anyway for 10.6.8 where is this new DSDT you're talking about?

I can't remember the procedures for updating a DSDT - is there anything special you have to do aside from replace the file?

Hooray you're alive!

I'll have to update to Lion eventually... anyway for 10.6.8 where is this new DSDT you're talking about?

I can't remember the procedures for updating a DSDT - is there anything special you have to do aside from replace the file?

you can find it here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

replace the file, and that's it,

you can find it here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

replace the file, and that's it,

Thanks man. I'll do an upgrade later this month probably. I think I'll be sticking with Snow Leopard.

On a more important note - my M1530 isn't able to tell when the battery is low so I'll be using it and all of a sudden - poof! It'll just go kaput. I'm pretty sure it's what is causing bad sectors on my HDD and slowly causing it to fail, so I need to put a stop to it.

Would you happen to know of how I can start fixing that issue?

Thanks man. I'll do an upgrade later this month probably. I think I'll be sticking with Snow Leopard.

On a more important note - my M1530 isn't able to tell when the battery is low so I'll be using it and all of a sudden - poof! It'll just go kaput. I'm pretty sure it's what is causing bad sectors on my HDD and slowly causing it to fail, so I need to put a stop to it.

Would you happen to know of how I can start fixing that issue?

try another version of voodoobattery kext to manage your battery, still if your battery is already unstable by itself thats another issue. The computer is unable to put itself to hybernate... i haven't got any solution yet, maybe there is a possibility to set it to shutdown rather than going to hybernation... i didn't check it... i should...

I haven't had any problems as such cuz i use my battery less than 1 hour at a time...

I'll check it... try to avoid going on battery power and check it in bios the status... see if the bios considers the battery unstable as well...

lemme know how it goes i am still a bit full... I'll check when i can

RIP...

my mainboard got fried...

have to change computer...

fuuuuu.....

now the question becomes,

should i buy xps 15z or mbp... daaaamn

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my guardian angel is gone.

Get a MBP. No question. Not even the shadow of a doubt.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my guardian angel is gone.

Get a MBP. No question. Not even the shadow of a doubt.

lol

sorry, but got myself an xps 15z... 1k with max specs

same specs with mbp was 3k....

i dont have the finances and i will use it for work so no osx needed...

still my xps m1530 will be fixed i can't let it go...

i'll buy myself a spare mainboard or send it to resoldering...

lol

sorry, but got myself an xps 15z... 1k with max specs

same specs with mbp was 3k....

i dont have the finances and i will use it for work so no osx needed...

still my xps m1530 will be fixed i can't let it go...

i'll buy myself a spare mainboard or send it to resoldering...

Good man. It's like taking care of your old close-to-dead grandma. There might not be a lot of value left there, but you just can't leave it to die.

Good man. It's like taking care of your old close-to-dead grandma. There might not be a lot of value left there, but you just can't leave it to die.

omg, i guess i'll let my grandma die as it costs 170€ to resolder the frikkin graphics card, i found a underground shop which does it for 120€ but it's still tooooo much

god dammit

• 2 weeks later...

told u :P

be prepare to do it every 5 months or so .

clean heatsink..

on some cases adding liquid flux to the chip and blowin it under the chip then reflow works longer. 6 mo to 1 yr

look in to chameleon lessVolt=20

and agpm kext mods for 8600

it wont be a problem since i will not be using it as a main machine, it will be my osx mule

and actually i periodically cleaned my heatsink... its also a fact that the little guy haz more than 4 years...

I won't be selling it in these conditions, it would be too fraudolent..

such a simple solution i did not expect it to work...

• 2 months later...

Finally i have some spare time, dont know if any of you already updated to 10.7.3 but i'm gonna try to update directly from vanilla and have it working... I'm crossing my fingers as I saw that people are using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and I'd rather be able to do it with the dsdt... check on me l8er

Cheers

Finally i have some spare time, dont know if any of you already updated to 10.7.3 but i'm gonna try to update directly from vanilla and have it working... I'm crossing my fingers as I saw that people are using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and I'd rather be able to do it with the dsdt... check on me l8er

Cheers

backup /extensions cause some complained of video performance

strange, i have already updated my other pc with the same graphics card (quite) and i can say that the video performance got much much much better...

I'm gonna clone a hdd and try it on, if anything goes wrong i wont have lost much time...

cloned the hdd, the updated 10.7.3 works magnificently.

I dont think i will be updating this guide... i'll just put the neccessery links so that people can find where to find what...

aside from that i can assure people that everything works (aside from the applehda.kext atm but i guess it will be fixed soon)

cheers

check the dsdt guide for any updates, in the end thats where the most of the people are active